It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: LA RAMS....again
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:
This was a great thread before Rick and CH mucked it up with there back and forth discussion on the topic at hand

with BRick it's usually back and forth and then back again that fucks it up. The ignore function doesn't work on quotes though so we just have to get by.

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:07 pm 

Reared on the Score wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
This was a great thread before Rick and CH mucked it up with there back and forth discussion on the topic at hand

with BRick it's usually back and forth and then back again that fucks it up. The ignore function doesn't work on quotes though so we just have to get by.
Thank you for your input.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
St. Louis is actually hugely into soccer thanks to all its waves of German and Italian immigrants back in the day. A lot of people want an MLS team to play on the riverfront instead, which could be a decent investment if it doubles as a concert venue in the summer like Toyota Park does for us.

They have to do something with that real estate, though. It's a fucking warzone. Here, poke around on Street View: https://www.google.com/maps?ll=38.63886 ... n&t=m&z=15

Could just make it a public park, for the public.

I'm not sure I'd use Toyota Park as a good example, as that's been a disaster for the city of Bridgeview. Maybe if it was in a better location and had more concerts on non-soccer days it'd be more of a success.

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:50 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

Spmack almost redeemed with a The Last Boy Scout gif. I want to watch that movie now. My dad took me to see it at the show when I was a kid and I thought it was the greatest movie I'd ever seen. Until Demolition Man came out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers

I really would like to see them go back to this look permanently. Do we know if they are
remaining as the Rams?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
T-Bone wrote:

I really would like to see them go back to this look permanently.

I think most people would agree with this....just more of solid look. Kind of how the 49ers went back to the 80s (and earlier) uni. Classic look should come back in style, sooner or later.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:57 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
They won't do an exact copy of that, but I'm sure it'll look close enough to make everyone buy the new version.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Curious Hair wrote:
They won't do an exact copy of that, but I'm sure it'll look close enough to make everyone buy the new version.

Gotta have the old version for "throw-backs".

I wouldn't be surprised if they went w/ that style, but replace the yellow w/ the current gold.

Or they use the current style & replace the gold w/ the yellow.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:04 pm 

spmack wrote:

Billy Cole paved the way for Lawrence Phillips.

Life sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Curious Hair wrote:
The contractual obligations to maintain a "first-tier" stadium were some really bad negotiating on the part of the city.

If you wind this whole thing back to the early '90s, you could argue St. Louis was doomed from the start. The original angle was that the new St. Louis-based ownership of the New England Patriots (who were then a total joke that nobody cared about) was going to move the team to St. Louis, but then Bob Kraft swooped in to buy the franchise along with Foxborough Stadium and the rest is history. This is why the seats at the dome are red and blue; they ordered the seats in Pats colors and then never bothered to follow up. Then they applied for an expansion team for 1995 to be called the Stallions (gay), but that bid fell apart and the expansions went to Charlotte and Jacksonville instead. At this point, building a domed stadium on spec and being kinda desperate, St. Louis promised they'd turn a cheap stadium into an expensive stadium very soon if you'll please just come here and love us.

I don't know to what extent people could have foreseen the way NFL stadiums would become the palaces they are now (and also Soldier Field), but limping to the finish line and then overpromising seems like a bad move anyway.

While this is true, the fact is the NFL itself is to blame here. They really screwed St. Louis and LA at the same time.

Say what you want about LA, but this common thought of them not supporting an NFL team is false. They only stopped supporting the Rams because the Rams moved to Anaheim. They supported the Raiders just fine, but there was no way they could publicly finance a stadium. The NFL banked that they could move a team there and lost when the entire economy took a shit.

St. Louis really get bent over in this deal. There’s still a team in Jacksonville, but the difference is the state of FL knows how to ensure the teams stay.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:16 pm 

We're into the final days of the St. Louis Rams, or, to be precise, the Los Angeles Rams as an organization temporarily operating out of St. Louis County. Team has to be out of its headquarters in Earth City (weird name) by the end of the month.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... 21084.html
Quote:
Seven tractor-trailers already have been either sent or are currently en route to the West Coast, according to Rams operations director Bruce Warwick. As of Friday morning, the Lombardi Trophy from that magical 1999 season was on one of those 18-wheelers, somewhere out on an interstate.

When all is said and done, 30 tractor trailers full of stuff will be sent to Southern California, with most heading out between now and the end of next week.

At 20,000 to 22,000 pounds per truck, we’re talking roughly 660,000 pounds of equipment, files, weights, furniture, footballs — you name it.

“We’re gonna load and go,” Warwick said. “We’re trying to get everything into the indoor (facility) by Thursday. It’s still gonna take time to load and things like that.”

The team’s 80-yard indoor field is basically a staging area, a warehouse where everything is gathered and loaded, and then shipped to the Los Angeles area.

The Rams’ business and scouting departments officially shut down Friday in St. Louis. Football operations — which includes coaches, the weight room, and the athletic trainers — will shut down this coming Thursday.

I'm kind of surprised that their practice facility doesn't have a regulation-size football field. Actually, you know what, it's the Rams, so I'm not.

Meanwhile, Edward Jones has terminated its naming rights on the dome and is charging the Rams to take down the signage. Don't expect anyone to pay much for new naming rights; the city is probably just gonna tear the damn thing down.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Odd that they're only loading 20,000 lbs per truck when even units with reefers can easily pull 45,000 lbs and still make it through scales. The Rams must have some bulky shit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:57 pm 

I assume a lot of that football equipment is hard to really pack in.

You know what else is weird? Technically, the Rams never left Los Angeles: they maintained their office space out there this whole time.

Quote:
On West Pico Boulevard in Los Angeles, an overgrown tree obscures a whitewashed, two-story building sandwiched between a radio station and a studio lot. Inside, it's a time warp. The battered carpet is blue, and the rippled wallpaper is bubbling, peeling off. Behind glass is a showcase of dull trophies and yellowed photos from another era. Everything is labeled "Los Angeles Rams." That team, of course, left LA, its home for nearly half a century, for St. Louis after the 1994 season. But on most days since, this nondescript office has remained open, staffed by two people: John Shaw, the former team president who engineered the franchise's flight from Anaheim to St. Louis, and his secretary. They work in this nearly invisible team outpost, as if the Rams never left.

On a semi-similar note, I read that the Score's old bunker on Belmont is now a backup television facility if the Prudential Center gets blowed up or there's a zombie apocalypse or something. Same eerie time-capsule feeling and everything (though XRT didn't leave till like '08, I think).