It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Miami's Year?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
I'm thinking they romp in the AFC East, overtaking the PATS. They beat the PATS at the beginning of last year and had GB beat mid-season until late-game heroics by Rodgers in one of the best games all season. Beefed up their receiving corps in the off-season, though DeVante Parker looks questionable to return before the regular season because of a nagging foot injury. Question mark is still the coaching staff, after the Fins lost 5 our of the 8 down the stretch to get disqualified from the playoffs. Had the Broncos beat at Mile High in week 12 before Q4 meltdown. Ceiling still high for Tannehill in the read-option offense. Dark horse MVP candidate.

Only 27 days now until preseason game 1 against Da Bears. Can't wait!!

Post subject: Re: Miami's Year?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Dignified Rube wrote:
I'm thinking they romp in the AFC East, overtaking the PATS. They beat the PATS at the beginning of last year and had GB beat mid-season until late-game heroics by Rodgers in one of the best games all season. Beefed up their receiving corps in the off-season, though DeVante Parker looks questionable to return before the regular season because of a nagging foot injury. Question mark is still the coaching staff, after the Fins lost 5 our of the 8 down the stretch to get disqualified from the playoffs. Had the Broncos beat at Mile High in week 12 before Q4 meltdown. Ceiling still high for Tannehill in the read-option offense. Dark horse MVP candidate.

28-1 Super Bowl
12-1 AFC

If you really believe, back it up...then Mayweather out the ticket.

I am in on NE for the Super Bowl at 9 and 10-1....made a few wagers. When I am in vegas and I win a little, I stop in the Book, drop $20 or $50 on a ticket or 2....

Still sporting a STL Cardinal v Mariners at 63-1...one side not holding up well....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Rube is winning CSFMB so far this week :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Minooka Meatball wrote:

That pays nothing.... :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:50 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

28-1 Super Bowl
12-1 AFC

If you really believe, back it up...then Mayweather out the ticket.

I am in on NE for the Super Bowl at 9 and 10-1....made a few wagers. When I am in vegas and I win a little, I stop in the Book, drop $20 or $50 on a ticket or 2....

Still sporting a STL Cardinal v Mariners at 63-1...one side not holding up well....

I will get in on the futures at 33-1, lay at least a $50. The price will only go down from here. I was buying the futures on them last year only to see my 50-1 or 60-1 wagers go up in smoke with the late season meltdown. No way that's happening again. The Fins early schedule is easy. Should win the first five out of six before playing the PATS away in week 7. Tannehill has proved himself quite durable, like Cutler. :D

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:52 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:

That pays nothing.... :D

Wish it did!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:10 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Dave In Champaign wrote:
I've brought this up a million times, but it never stops being funny to me, so here we go again:

Like most old white sportswriters, Hub thinks that Bill Parcells is some kind of genius, and thus talks about him the way Bernstein talks about Ozzie Guillen. The funniest example of this was a 3-year stretch in which he unsuccessfully picked the Chad Henne-helmed Dolphins to make the playoffs because he "like[d] the way that team [was] put together." This was funny on a number of levels--not least of which was hearing Hub double down on his belief that Jeff Ireland is a "strong football guy" just as the rest of America was coming to the realization that Ireland is actually a laughably incompetent football guy, and a terrible human being to boot. But the real upshot was the Hubbest Thing Ever, which is when Hub picked the 2009 Dolphins to make the playoffs, and they went 7-9, and then the 2010 Dolphins started 2-0 and Hub actually, seriously, legitimately said "teehee, guess I just picked 'em a year too early, eh guys, teehee!" and then the 2010 Dolphins ended up 7-9 too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:00 pm 

You can't do that to me and bring up a past Hub prediction about Miami. This is the guy who on the air said I was dumb when I called in for saying that Forte can't run between the tackles, only for him to repeat exactly what I said on the air about a week later. He's a smooth talker and I enjoy listening to him, but when it comes to handicapping - forget it. His K.C. Super Bowl prediction from a few years ago is case and point. Then his Kyle Long call put more egg on his face.

I always wondered why the Bears kicked him out of the broadcast booth. I've wondered the same about Wayne Larrivee, whom everyone loved in Chicago. I think Jeff Joniak does a respectable job, but he's no where on the level of Larrivee. Larrivee was to the Bears what Pat Foley has been to the Hawks. Maybe you know or remember, B.F., what the story was behind both of their departures? Can't say I am a fan of Thayer either. Hard to tell whether he makes stuff up or knows what he is talking about. Too often it sounds like gibberish.

Here's good old Wayne in his prime with the Bears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLCGSE4XQDI

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:36 am 

Dignified Rube wrote:
You can't do that to me and bring up a past Hub prediction about Miami. This is the guy who on the air said I was dumb when I called in for saying that Forte can't run between the tackles, only for him to repeat exactly what I said on the air about a week later. He's a smooth talker and I enjoy listening to him, but when it comes to handicapping - forget it. His K.C. Super Bowl prediction from a few years ago is case and point. Then his Kyle Long call put more egg on his face.

I always wondered why the Bears kicked him out of the broadcast booth. I've wondered the same about Wayne Larrivee, whom everyone loved in Chicago. I think Jeff Joniak does a respectable job, but he's no where on the level of Larrivee. Larrivee was to the Bears what Pat Foley has been to the Hawks. Maybe you know or remember, B.F., what the story was behind both of their departures? Can't say I am a fan of Thayer either. Hard to tell whether he makes stuff up or knows what he is talking about. Too often it sounds like gibberish.

Here's good old Wayne in his prime with the Bears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLCGSE4XQDI

Wayne preferred the Packer job.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Tannehill will not take them anywhere.

He looked like a frightened schoolgirl against the Buffalo pass rush.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:11 am 

Tannehill's best move was to run the ball. We've seen how that goes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:56 am 

Miami's year for what?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Minooka Meatball wrote:

It's a bad week then.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:58 am 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Tannehill will not take them anywhere.

He looked like a frightened schoolgirl against the Buffalo pass rush.

They lost star OT Branden Albert to a bad knee injury against Detroit, remember. He's one of their best players but is expected to be back for week 1.

I think Miami had more trouble with the Jets D-line than Buffalo's. But then again, so did everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Also have to wait and see if Brady's suspension is lowered from 4 games.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:42 am 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Also have to wait and see if Brady's suspension is lowered from 4 games.

Depends on how much longer Goodell wants to demonize Brady for he own personal reasons, after Goodell became a hated figure following the Ray Rice scandal. Remember all the boos he got at the draft? With Deflategate Goodell was able to shift the negative focus from him to Brady. That's really what it's about. Goodell has no qualms about sacrificing Brady, showing what a shrewd Machiavellian operator he is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Dignified Rube wrote:
I was buying the futures on them last year only to see my 50-1 or 60-1 wagers go up in smoke with the late season meltdown. No way that's happening again.

It already happened "again" in 2013, when they got shut out by the Bills, then had every possible tiebreaker go their way, then lost at home to Geno fucking Smith. I have no idea how anyone can have faith in Joe Philbin at this point, but you did just refer to Roger Goodell as "a shrewd Machiavellian manipulator," so maybe you have some weird Oliver Sacks disease where overpromoted bumblers seem really competent to you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
I was buying the futures on them last year only to see my 50-1 or 60-1 wagers go up in smoke with the late season meltdown. No way that's happening again.

It already happened "again" in 2013, when they got shut out by the Bills, then had every possible tiebreaker go their way, then lost at home to Geno fucking Smith. I have no idea how anyone can have faith in Joe Philbin at this point, but you did just refer to Roger Goodell as "a shrewd Machiavellian manipulator," so maybe you have some weird Oliver Sacks disease where overpromoted bumblers seem really competent to you.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:55 am 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
but you did just refer to Roger Goodell as "a shrewd Machiavellian manipulator," so maybe you have some weird Oliver Sacks disease where overpromoted bumblers seem really competent to you.

Point conceded. Should have qualified my remarks to say in this matter he has been shrewd. There's no denying that once the severe Deflategate punishment came down, people weren't talking about Goodell anymore. It was all about the "cheater" Brady. For all his success there was no lacking of public Schadenfreude when it came to his indictment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Curious Hair wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:
I've brought this up a million times, but it never stops being funny to me, so here we go again:

Like most old white sportswriters, Hub thinks that Bill Parcells is some kind of genius, and thus talks about him the way Bernstein talks about Ozzie Guillen. The funniest example of this was a 3-year stretch in which he unsuccessfully picked the Chad Henne-helmed Dolphins to make the playoffs because he "like[d] the way that team [was] put together." This was funny on a number of levels--not least of which was hearing Hub double down on his belief that Jeff Ireland is a "strong football guy" just as the rest of America was coming to the realization that Ireland is actually a laughably incompetent football guy, and a terrible human being to boot. But the real upshot was the Hubbest Thing Ever, which is when Hub picked the 2009 Dolphins to make the playoffs, and they went 7-9, and then the 2010 Dolphins started 2-0 and Hub actually, seriously, legitimately said "teehee, guess I just picked 'em a year too early, eh guys, teehee!" and then the 2010 Dolphins ended up 7-9 too.

Ha! Didn't even see this until now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Drag's
In fairness to Hubbie, he did predict an outright Dolphin road win in 06 when the Bears were 7-0 and Miami 1-6. He liked the way they "matched up." Joey Harrington showed Grossman what an NFL QB looks like.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:54 am 

DannyB wrote:
In fairness to Hubbie, he did predict an outright Dolphin road win in 06 when the Bears were 7-0 and Miami 1-6. He liked the way they "matched up." Joey Harrington showed Grossman what an NFL QB looks like.

You mean you have to go back eight or nine years to when Hub was last right about a game outcome taking a dog? :roll:

Hub wrote in April that he expects the Bears to start 0-3 and possibly even 0-4 if they can't beat Oakland, a game he calls a crap shoot. I disagree in that they will beat Arizona and Oakland. AZ has no offense, even with Palmer. Oakland is improved, but the Bears should still prevail against Del Rio's crew.

I'll even go so far as to say that's it's possible that the Bears upset GB week 1. GB started slow last year, so a road defeat for them in the friendly confines of Soldier Field in early September is not inconceivable against a revamped high-powered Bears offense. If what B.F. has said about Fox liking Cutler is true, it sounds like Cutler is going to be a lot more comfortable this year, unlike under Trestman last year who seemingly was pestering Cutler all the time.

http://www.chicagofootball.com/2015/04/ ... e/a3b7qty/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:17 am 
1000 CLUB

Dignified Rube wrote:

I liked what I saw of Miami last year, but it's hard to predict a romp in a division with the Patriots. Big year for Tannehill; I do see a lot of upside and he does show it, but this year is time to show it consistently.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:43 pm 

BD wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

I liked what I saw of Miami last year, but it's hard to predict a romp in a division with the Patriots. Big year for Tannehill; I do see a lot of upside and he does show it, but this year is time to show it consistently.

Yes, Tannehill is the man, no matter how much Hub talks smack about him. And how could we forget to mention SUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH?

Suh mania coming to the Orange Bowl.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Minooka Meatball wrote:

yeah well despite one good week i bet he wouldn't even get a podium spot in a proper pantanthalon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
DannyB wrote:
Joey Harrington showed Grossman what an NFL QB looks like.

what, did he have a picture on his phone of the tom brady fathead on his bedroom wall or something?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:01 am 

Dignified Rube wrote:

This may be worse than your thoughts on race.