It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Rrrraiders
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Been a D Carr fan since college, always felt he threw a nice ball.

Like the Raider thing as your underdog team this year

AC⚡️DC nice marketing phrase too

Post subject: Re: The Rrrraiders
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Khalil Mack is just plain filthy.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
I too am a big Carr fan and watched Fresno State whenever they were on. The Raiders finally have a decent head coach, and with Cooper and Murray, they could be explosive...then again, it's the Raiders, so...

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
j'marcus webb is starting for them? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Raiders win the AFC West. #YouHeardItHereFirst

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:53 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
As a closet Raiders (2nd favorite team) fan since I was a kid,I hope they surprise.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Hatchetman wrote:
j'marcus webb is starting for them? :lol:

They moved him to right guard and he's played pretty well.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
jimmypasta wrote:
As a closet Raiders (2nd favorite team) fan since I was a kid,I hope they surprise.

Their jerseys and helmets are too good for them not to win. The fact that they play in that shithole of a stadium too just adds to their coolness.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:03 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
The Raiders are cooler than the Bears and one of many franchises that has accomplished more than the Bears, and that's even with the last 12 straight years of crap.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:10 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
The Raiders are cooler than the Bears and one of many franchises that has accomplished more than the Bears, and that's even with the last 12 straight years of crap.

That point you made about being accomplished was made by Bears DC,Vince Fangio. In pregame,Lou Cannelis asked him a question to paraphrase: "How do you prepare to bring back that great Bears tradition of hard hitting defense like years past with guys like Singletary,Hampton and Urlacher?"

Fangio told him: "You mention great tradition but the fact is this team has been to the playoffs 5 times in 23 seasons."

Good for Fangio.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:14 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
+1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:25 am 

Hey, other than the Packers, Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, Patriots, Raiders, Giants, Redskins, Dolphins, Colts, and Ravens, who has a prouder tradition than the Bears? In your face, Houston Texans.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:27 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Hey, other than the Packers, Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, Patriots, Raiders, Giants, Redskins, Dolphins, Colts, and Ravens, who has a prouder tradition than the Bears? In your face, Houston Texans.

Hell,even Tampa Bay has been more successful recently with that Gruden led SB win over the Raiders.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:28 am 

The Bears organization thinks they're the Packers, though. They're more like the Chiefs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:59 am 

But seriously, the Raiders are probably going to be okay this year. Much like the Bears, they've ensured a baseline of competence with their coaching staff. This might get them to 8-8, which sounds good until you remember that Tom Cable and Hue Jackson already had them at 8-8 but the post-Al leadership had to "put their stamp" on the organization by hiring some forgettable idiot and setting the organization back another five years.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Curious Hair wrote:

Reminds me of something I heard on WSCR over the weekend congratulating the Blackhawks for their 6th title, putting them behind only Montreal with 24, Toronto with 13 and Detroit with 11. I was thinking how long has it been since Toronto was any good???

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:04 am 

Toronto has never won three playoff rounds, if that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Jack Del Rio is a boob who guarantees nothing but mediocrity.

I will, however, agree that there's nothing funnier than some smarmy shitbird like Canellis or Tom Thayer getting all misty-eyed about the "tradition" of a team whose post-1985 playoff record is essentially identical to that of the Atlanta Falcons.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:29 am 

You gotta love that Jack Del Rio is like the Platonic ideal of a meathead football coach, though, right down to the time he insisted on wearing a suit to instill respect. And guaranteed mediocrity is just what the Raiders could use right now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Dave In Champaign wrote:

I will, however, agree that there's nothing funnier than some smarmy shitbird like Canellis or Tom Thayer getting all misty-eyed about the "tradition" of a team whose post-1985 playoff record is essentially identical to that of the Atlanta Falcons.

my favorite jack del rio story is when he coached the jags and put a stump with an ax in the middle of the locker room. the team slogan that year was "keep on chopping" or something football-y like that.

the kick took a shot swinging the ax at the stump and slice his leg. i believe the injury necessitated his placement on ir. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
found it:

Quote:
After an 0-3 start last season, coach Jack Del Rio decided to place a huge tree stump and an ax in the middle of the locker room to illustrate his new mantra, "Keep chopping wood."

Each day, players would take little hunks out of the tree, leaving wood splinters scattered about the locker room. In Week 5, the Jaguars finally won their first game, but the log and ax remained. The next Thursday, after Hanson and kicker Seth Marler had finished their workout but the rest of the team was still on the practice field, Hanson took a whack at the log.

He lost control and hacked a deep, nasty gash in his right, non-kicking, leg. Blood poured out and a rush ensued to get Hanson to the hospital, where he had emergency surgery.

"I'll find another slogan," Del Rio said, clearly embarrassed himself after the accident. "The message was understood."

FOOTBALL!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:39 am 

He also did my favorite coaching thing ever: he put a big log and an axe in the locker room to encourage his guys to "Keep Chopping Wood" (their team slogan[?]):

And then his punter tried to do just that and ended up hacking off a chunk of his foot and missing the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:41 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:

my favorite jack del rio story is when he coached the jags and put a stump with an ax in the middle of the locker room. the team slogan that year was "keep on chopping" or something football-y like that.

the kick took a shot swinging the ax at the stump and slice his leg. i believe the injury necessitated his placement on ir. :lol:

ninja'd!

It really is the dumbest, meatballiest, footballiest thing ever.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:44 am 

Dave In Champaign wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:

ninja'd!

Tony Boselli...recalls when he was at USC how then-coach Larry Smith gave tennis balls to his players, reminding them to bounce back after a loss.

Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells used those tactics from time to time. When his Patriots were playing the Jets, he dangled toy airplanes in their lockers. When he was coaching in Dallas, he reminded his players not to buy into the hype being said about them — or, in his words, "eat the cheese" — so he put a giant blue mousetrap in the middle of the Cowboys locker room, and baited it with a piece of cheese.

Once, when he was coaching the Jets, Parcells left an empty gas can in the locker of linebacker Brian Cox, along with a question: "Do you have any left in the tank?"

Last season, before his Colts played 0-4 Jacksonville, Chuck Pagano placed a mousetrap in each player's locker. The message: Don't fall prey to a "trap" game. The Colts didn't, posting a 37-3 victory.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:45 am 

Also chiming in to agree that the guy cutting himself on the motivational ax is absolutely hysterical. I hope he brings this to Oakland but with a motivational shiv.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:51 am 

The Buffalo Bills have made the playoffs six times in the last 23 seasons. Two of those were Super Bowl losses. The Bears are behind the Bills.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:53 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Dave In Champaign wrote:

ninja'd!

Tony Boselli...recalls when he was at USC how then-coach Larry Smith gave tennis balls to his players, reminding them to bounce back after a loss.

Hall of Fame coach Bill Parcells used those tactics from time to time. When his Patriots were playing the Jets, he dangled toy airplanes in their lockers. When he was coaching in Dallas, he reminded his players not to buy into the hype being said about them — or, in his words, "eat the cheese" — so he put a giant blue mousetrap in the middle of the Cowboys locker room, and baited it with a piece of cheese.

Once, when he was coaching the Jets, Parcells left an empty gas can in the locker of linebacker Brian Cox, along with a question: "Do you have any left in the tank?"

Last season, before his Colts played 0-4 Jacksonville, Chuck Pagano placed a mousetrap in each player's locker. The message: Don't fall prey to a "trap" game. The Colts didn't, posting a 37-3 victory.

I love this stuff. I remember Rex Ryan once gathered the entire Jets roster on the practice field and ceremonially buried the game ball from one of the team's biannual beatdowns at the hands of New England.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:59 am 

Jack Del Rio putting an axe and a stump in the middle of the locker room, which resulted in Jaguars punter Chris Hanson burying that axe in his own leg.

Marty Mornhinweg riding off early from Lions practice in a motorcycle

Herm Edwards' "We can build on this!" speech

Jackie Sherrill castrating a bull in front of his own players when he was at Mississippi State (Sherrill later apologized)

A Tennessee high school coach vandalizing his own school with spray-painted insults directed at his own players (which he hoped they would assume were put there by a rival school). He was arrested.

Bob Knight "brandishing soiled toilet paper" at his own players. I'm not even sure of the intent there, frankly. "Play better or I will touch you with this."

Another high school coach pretending to shoot himself in front of his team. He resigned.

Mike Singletary pulling his pants down at halftime in the 49ers locker room. "I used my pants to illustrate that we were getting our tails whipped on Sunday and how humiliating that should feel for all of us." They went on to lose that game. Pants, in general, should only be used for wearing.

Dennis Franchione staging a terrorist raid of his own locker room, followed by a SWAT team coming in and liberating the locker room from the pretend terrorists. Here is part of a description of that incident: "[T]wo of the Rangers burst into the room portraying terrorists bearing (wooden fake) weapons. They 'captured' Scott in front of the group and tied him up and blindfolded him, while the others held the players hostage." (God, I wish there was video of that. That's amazing.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:04 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Dennis Franchione staging a terrorist raid of his own locker room, followed by a SWAT team coming in and liberating the locker room from the pretend terrorists. Here is part of a description of that incident: "[T]wo of the Rangers burst into the room portraying terrorists bearing (wooden fake) weapons. They 'captured' Scott in front of the group and tied him up and blindfolded him, while the others held the players hostage." (God, I wish there was video of that. That's amazing.)

rotfl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:07 pm 

This is why football is the best. Joe Maddon doesn't have the guts to do a mock terrorist attack.