It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brady?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:22 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Is he the greatest QB of all-time? Clearly he's the greatest of his era. Does he need 1 more SB victory to secure the top spot?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

Post subject: Re: Brady?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Yup. GOAT.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:26 am 

Nas wrote:
Is he the greatest QB of all-time? Clearly he's the greatest of his era. Does he need 1 more SB victory to secure the top spot?
He likely is, though the legacy of the Patriots is going to haunt him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
He's no Kyle Orton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:31 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
He's no Kyle Orton
GBOAT!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Nas wrote:

I rank him as he GOAT as he rises above THE GREAT CROWD (Montana, Elway and Bradshaw)...the seperation of time is a starting point, 2004 then 2014, is really impressive.

The vast different cast of recievers he has had is pretty amazing. During the Moss years they didnt even win a SB.

And remove one of the greatest catches in the history of the SB...and they probably win a 5th v Giants.

The guys vision and command of thr game is unmatched. He can hardly run, yet escapes blitzes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:45 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
hmmmm that's a good question cuz he's pretty much the modern day equivalent of joe montana with all of the winning, but i don't think that everybody would necessarily say that joe montana was the best pure QB of all time, let alone his era. brady falls into that same scenario/situation with me.

personally, right now in terms of pure quarterbacking skill i'd prolly go with rodgers over him. i would say that when you add up all of the tangibles that aaron rodgers is a better quarterback than tom brady, however rodgers only has one super bowl and brady has... what, 4 now? i mean it's hard to argue with the argument "you play the game to win, therefore the guy who wins the most is truly all around the best" (somewhere JORR has a starting pitcher boner) however when it technically comes down to raw ability and making all of the throws and mobility to escape pressure and all of the things you can actually measure on the field, well then i'd take rodgers over brady.

[insert those IF YOU HAD TO WIN ONE GAME AND COULD CHOOSE ONE QUARTERBACK....and IF YOU PUT [QB #2] ON [QB #1 AKA THE WINNER]'S TEAM AND VICE VERSA WHAT WOULD THE RESULTS BE.... scenarios here]

so yeah brady is obviously in the team picture / mount rushmore / etc... i just dont know if i can call him the greatest quarterback of all time cuz when you start doing that you factor in way more games that are far less meaningful than playoff/superbowl games and it's basically personal preference if you want to say the mitigating factor/s is/are winning or raw abilities or whatever.

i don't think there's been any time in his long and storied career where brady was ever considered the no-doubt best quarterback in football, however through all of the different periods of his career he's priolly been top-3 or top-5 and there is something to be said about hanging around the upper echelon of QBs for such a long time, but does longevity or absolute peak ability matter more to you? with my fantasy sports background i tend to learn more towards the latter here.

so i'm going to say no here, but at the same time i am going to concede that depending on how we define the GOAT quarterback it technically could be tom brady if we lean heavily on winning/longevity as opposed to absolute peak ability levels.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Is Brady even the best QB on the PATS roster at the moment?

No one eclipses Montana's performance against the Bengals in the Superbowl.

After Montana, it's Fouts, Marino, Elway, Plunkett, Favre and then maybe Brady.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
He will always have the specter of cheating, and the inability to get a white pool cover, hanging over his head.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Dignified Rube wrote:

hold on - dan fouts was better than tom brady? jim plunkett? for real?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:08 pm 

man of few opinions wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Better release and arm than Brady, while surrounded by less talent. He was my idol back in the day. What can I say?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I would believe Fouts was better than Brady quicker than Montana. You all can just drop him out of the top 5 discussion altogether for my tastes.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:14 pm 

Great Fouts clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUcsLRX4pA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Dignified Rube wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Better release and arm than Brady, while surrounded by less talent. He was my idol back in the day. What can I say?

dan fouts was surrounded with nothing but top receiving talent his whole career. i was actually a big fan of his back in the day, but to say he is even in the same realm of greatness as tom brady seems a stretch. his playoff passer rating of 70.0 also seems a bit on the not-so-clucth side.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:27 pm 

dan fouts was surrounded with nothing but top receiving talent his whole career. i was actually a big fan of his back in the day, but to say he is even in the same realm of greatness as tom brady seems a stretch. his playoff passer rating of 70.0 also seems a bit on the not-so-clucth side.

Character counts and Brady is a whiner and a cheater. Fouts was tough as nails and played at a time when competition in the league was fiercest.

It's not even close that Fouts was better than Brady. You would not have seen a sloppy game like last night back in '80 and '81. I turned it off after the first half because the play was so bad.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
For the next 5-10 years until Rodgers takes it away from him.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:35 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

8)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:40 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
That would be nice, but his playoff failures keep on piling up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:42 pm 

Much like other sports positions it is probably time to make a best qb and and best winner as a qb in separate lists.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Dignified Rube wrote:

Oh my...

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:50 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

NFL teams hardly even play defense any more. Rodgers or Brady never had to face the Bears 46 defense from '85 or the early 80's Raiders, Redskins and 49ers defenses, which were all great.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

The Ravens defense and the Seahawks defense were/are 2 of the best ever. To do what Brady has done in the free agency era is unbelievable. He's had less offensive talent than anyone except probably Favre.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:56 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Character counts and Brady is a whiner and a cheater. Fouts was tough as nails and played at a time when competition in the league was fiercest.

It's not even close that Fouts was better than Brady. You would not have seen a sloppy game like last night back in '80 and '81. I turned it off after the first half because the play was so bad.

Your anti-Brady bias is forcing you down paths you shouldn't have gone down.

Fouts was as big a whiner and crybaby as there was in football. The only person he didn't cry about was Charlie Joiner, and then only because it was widely accepted that Joiner was the far, far more established/respected player. As for the "tough as nails" claim, I have no idea what you are basing that on. He didn't take an excessive amount of punishment, he didn't have to. He also was quick to avoid pressure by firing passes into general areas which often got his receivers clobbered (Winslow) or forced acrobatic catches (John Jefferson). When they couldn't pull rabbits out their asses, he got really pissy & petulant.

He never was much of a team leader, and it was widely accepted that it was primarily Coryell and the receivers that did the magic. Fouts was great in that system, but not top ten/twenty-all time by any stretch, certainly not with his playoff record. Fouts was largely forgettable, at least in comparison to Don Coryell. You can't say the same about Montana or Brady.

I just find it funny that as proof of Fouts' greatness, you cite a mammoth two year stretch. Telling.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:57 pm 

Nas wrote:
The Ravens defense and the Seahawks defense were/are 2 of the best ever. To do what Brady has done in the free agency era is unbelievable. He's had less offensive talent than anyone except probably Favre.

True Nas but I will always give extra credit to the QB's prior to the modern lax pass interference calls and so on. Fouts should get credit for facing Lester Hayes and the like twice a year.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:00 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

NFL teams hardly even play defense any more. Rodgers or Brady never had to face the Bears 46 defense from '85 or the early 80's Raiders, Redskins and 49ers defenses, which were all great.

And your guy, the Great Dan Fouts faced exactly one "great" defense, the Raiders.

The Orange Crush was old, I don't ever remember them playing a big game against the Steel Curtain (which was done by 81) and the Killer B's of Miami were a figment of NBC's imagination to trump up AFC games in the early 80's. And he still lost the big games.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:09 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Nas wrote:

True Nas but I will always give extra credit to the QB's prior to the modern lax pass interference calls and so on. Fouts should get credit for facing Lester Hayes and the like twice a year.

It always amazes me that Lester Hayes still gets mentioned. He wasn't an all-time great imo (hell Mike Haynes was far better) and like his partner Fred Belitnikoff needed all the Stickum he could find.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
It's more about the way the rules are. Bump and run is gone. Can't even touch the QB. Interference is called constantly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
It's more about the way the rules are. Bump and run is gone. Can't even touch the QB. Interference is called constantly.

This is why Favre will probably always be in my top 5. What he was able to do in multiple eras and without 1 great receiver often gets overlooked.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:14 pm 

Nas wrote:

OK, so when Rodgers played a really good defense against Seattle in 2014 he lost twice, once in the regular season and then again in the post season. Neither GB nor the PATS played Seattle in 2013. The Pats didn't play Seattle in 2014 either, because the NFL didn't want Brady embarrassed.

This proves my point.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.