It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Brady?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:51 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Fouts played during the heyday of the NFL - check
Fouts led league in passing for four years during NFL heyday '79-'82 - check (Tom Brady twice during '05 and '07)

The "heyday of the NFL was the late 70's early 80's? Unless you're a Steelers, Cowboys or Raiders fan, I've never heard a sober person make this argument. There was compelling football, but heyday is a wild stretch.

Now your claim is that Fouts led the league in passing for four years from 79-82. Are you going to stick to this one? Before you were incorrectly claiming that he was MONEY from 80-84. Which is it? Even so, do you still want to stick by your assertion that 3.5 MONEY seasons and 1-2 playoff wins....nevermind.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
bigfan wrote:

And remove one of the greatest catches in the history of the SB...and they probably win a 5th v Giants.

Two great catches, or they have six. Tyree and Manningham.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:04 pm 

pittmike wrote:
I would believe Fouts was better than Brady quicker than Montana. You all can just drop him out of the top 5 discussion altogether for my tastes.

Stupid.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:08 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Nas wrote:
The Ravens defense and the Seahawks defense were/are 2 of the best ever. To do what Brady has done in the free agency era is unbelievable. He's had less offensive talent than anyone except probably Favre.

OK, so when Rodgers played a really good defense against Seattle in 2014 he lost twice, once in the regular season and then again in the post season. Neither GB nor the PATS played Seattle in 2013. The Pats didn't play Seattle in 2014 either, because the NFL didn't want Brady embarrassed.

This proves my point.

It does? How?

Rodgers can't beat a really good defense, as evidenced against the Seattle defense in 2014. Brady has never played against one.

Hell, Rodgers can't even beat Detroit!!!

Rodgers is 10-2 against Detroit.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Regular Reader wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:
Fouts played during the heyday of the NFL - check
Fouts led league in passing for four years during NFL heyday '79-'82 - check (Tom Brady twice during '05 and '07)

The "heyday of the NFL was the late 70's early 80's? Unless you're a Steelers, Cowboys or Raiders fan, I've never heard a sober person make this argument. There was compelling football, but heyday is a wild stretch.

Now your claim is that Fouts led the league in passing for four years from 79-82. Are you going to stick to this one? Before you were incorrectly claiming that he was MONEY from 80-84. Which is it? Even so, do you still want to stick by your assertion that 3.5 MONEY seasons and 1-2 playoff wins....nevermind.

If you look at the YouTube page of the Chargers v. Raiders AFC Championship game in '80, quite a few people commented that it was the best period in the NFL. That's not something I just made up. Nor were Chargers fans only in San Diego. They were everywhere like with myself and Pittmike in this area. That's because Fouts was exciting to watch for his vertical passing game, unlike Brady who has made his career on dink passes. Someone commented earlier on this thread that Brady's weakness is a lack of accuracy with his long passes, whereas it was Fouts' strength.

When having played strong defensive teams, Brady has not been dominant. Take the Ravens for example. PATS are 3-3 in their last six games against them. Against the Steelers they were 3-2 before last nights game. Against San Fran, PATS are 1-3 in their last four.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:27 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
If you look at the YouTube page of the Chargers v. Raiders AFC Championship game in '80, quite a few people commented that it was the best period in the NFL.

I now will have a new signature. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:33 pm 

Nas wrote:
This is why Favre will probably always be in my top 5. What he was able to do in multiple eras and without 1 great receiver often gets overlooked.

He had a badass, almost unstoppable WR that helped build his career.
But then the neck injury ended his career. I would have liked to see how his career ended.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
spanky wrote:
Nas wrote:
This is why Favre will probably always be in my top 5. What he was able to do in multiple eras and without 1 great receiver often gets overlooked.

He had a badass, almost unstoppable WR that helped build his career.
But then the neck injury ended his career. I would have liked to see how his career ended.

Don't forget Jurko providing illegal scripts to help to overcome some of those aches and pains.

Monday through Friday Favre was somewhere barefoot in a creek. Saturday he got his medicine and Sunday he hunted Bears. Sickening is what it was.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:02 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:
Monday through Friday Favre was somewhere barefoot in a creek. Saturday he got his medicine and Sunday he hunted Bears. Sickening is what it was.

In fairness, he only needed a slingshot (or just his left arm) to hunt those Bears.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:43 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:

Fouts was MONEY. He averaged 300 yrds. passing per game from '80 until '84. Five frigging years against the toughest defenses EVER.

Brady has had only three 300 yrds. per game seasons against Mickey Mouse defenses.

End of Story.

Fouts averaged 300+ YPG for a season, twice in his career ('81 and '82). The same number as Matt Stafford.

Troll fail. You're better than this, Q.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/p ... utDa00.htm

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:23 am 

Brady best QB of all time, yet could never throw the deep ball??? Doesn't deserve to even be mentioned among greats like Fouts, Marino and Elway.

Brady’s deep-passing accuracy has dropped nearly every year since 2007, when he completed 31 of 73 passes (50.7 accuracy percentage) that traveled over 20 yards. 2014: 1 of 16 (6.3 percent) 2013: 20 of 66 (39.4 percent) 2012: 20 of 84 (40.5 percent) 2011: 20 of 60 (41.7 percent) 2010: 17 of 45 (44.4 percent) 2009: 19 of 68 (32.4 percent) 2007: 31 of 73 (50.7 percent)

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/10/scout-tom-brady ... ardage-qb/

I'm done with this conversation. If you want to delude yourself by thinking Brady is good when he's been mediocre against good defenses and could never throw the long-ball, go right ahead. I'll stick with my guy, Supercharger #14, the original GUNSLINGER.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Dignified Rube wrote:
I'm done with this conversation.

thats probably a good idea. even dan outs himself would find your argument laughable.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Chus wrote:
bigfan wrote:

And remove one of the greatest catches in the history of the SB...and they probably win a 5th v Giants.

Careful with these kinds of projections. One could also argue that the Pats would have 2 less if it weren't for the highly questionable call against the Raiders in 2001 playoffs along with the bonehead pass play by the Seahawks at the end of the most recent SB.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
I don't know where I come down on where Brady ranks all-time. Clearly he's in the conversation of GOAT. The number of Super Bowl victories coupled with a generally non-descript group of WRs is obviously impressive. However, I'm not sure I've ever considered him to be the best QB in the league during any of the seasons he's played. At the very least, he hasn't been head and shoulders above his peers like Jordan was during his prime. If championships are all that matters (& I do believe they are a strong consideration), then Bill Russell was the GOAT without question. Outside of JORR, I doubt that most on this board would agree with that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:50 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Chus wrote:
bigfan wrote:

Careful with these kinds of projections. One could also argue that the Pats would have 2 less if it weren't for the highly questionable call against the Raiders in 2001 playoffs along with the bonehead pass play by the Seahawks at the end of the most recent SB.

Sure, but I am countering the argument of a lunatic who is quoting the teams' ATS records, and passing yardage, as some sort of indicator of QB greatness.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
I don't know where I come down on where Brady ranks all-time. Clearly he's in the conversation of GOAT. The number of Super Bowl victories coupled with a generally non-descript group of WRs is obviously impressive. However, I'm not sure I've ever considered him to be the best QB in the league during any of the seasons he's played. At the very least, he hasn't been head and shoulders above his peers like Jordan was during his prime. If championships are all that matters (& I do believe they are a strong consideration), then Bill Russell was the GOAT without question. Outside of JORR, I doubt that most on this board would agree with that.

I don't think JORR would agree with that. He believes Magic Johnson is the GOAT.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:39 pm 

Fouts on wuss Brady from 2013:

Speaking on an episode of “NFL Monday QB” on CBS Sports Network, former Chargers quarterback Dan Fouts took a veiled shot at Tom Brady, hinting the Patriots quarterback gets special treatment from officials. “Tom Brady has to be protected to be effective,” said Fouts, who has become an NFL analyst for CBS Sports. “He’s protected better than anybody — not only by his offensive line, but sometimes, by those guys in the striped shirts.”

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/new ... from-refs/

Good news is this will change this year with Goodell red hot mad. You'll see officials trying to peg Brady with their flags like darts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:18 pm 

:lol: every QB has to be protected in order to be effective.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:05 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Dignified Rube wrote:

Speaking on an episode of “NFL Monday QB” on CBS Sports Network, former Chargers quarterback Dan Fouts took a veiled shot at Tom Brady, hinting the Patriots quarterback gets special treatment from officials. “Tom Brady has to be protected to be effective,” said Fouts, who has become an NFL analyst for CBS Sports. “He’s protected better than anybody — not only by his offensive line, but sometimes, by those guys in the striped shirts.”

Good news is this will change this year with Goodell red hot mad. You'll see officials trying to peg Brady with their flags like darts.

Sour grapes from Fouts. There isn't a GM or head coach ever who would rather have Fouts over Brady. None. Zero.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Scorehead on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:12 pm 

RFDC wrote:

What he was saying is that Brady doesn't perform well under pressure, when other QBs like Rodgers can still make plays.

That's what sets apart the great QBs from the good and explains why Brady is not great.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:13 pm 

Scorehead wrote:
Dignified Rube wrote:

Sour grapes from Fouts. There isn't a GM or head coach ever who would rather have Fouts over Brady. None Zero.

WYC?? How about Don Coryell?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:28 pm 

Dignified Rube wrote:
RFDC wrote:

What he was saying is that Brady doesn't perform well under pressure, when other QBs like Rodgers can still make plays.

That's what sets apart the great QBs from the good and explains why Brady is not great.

And it is still just as wrong.

Brady is one of the greatest QBs of all time. You cannot argue that away.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Dignified Rube wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Oh my...

:drunken:

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:51 am 

Scorehead wrote:

Sour grapes from Fouts. There isn't a GM or head coach ever who would rather have Fouts over Brady. None. Zero.

Here's one that will really put egg on your face. Try Bill Walsh.

Bill Walsh, who served as Chargers offensive coordinator in 1976, when the Chargers stunk and Fouts wasn’t special (Dan always told me he would have been out of football by 1980 had Don Coryell not arrived), said: “Dan Fouts is the greatest competitor I’ve ever known.”

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... ts-record/

Wow, only the greatest HC of all time other than Landry, Lombardy, Gibbs, just told you who the best quarterback was. And you know what, add Gibbs too because he was Coryell's OC for the Chargers in '79 and '80.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrhJBMbEDuY

G.D., you people don't know anything about quarterbacks.

Last edited by Dignified Rube on Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
No he didn't.

He said Fouts was "the greatest competitor". Which is something nice you say about someone when you can't say "greatest player".

Chuck Daly called Bill Lambier the greatest competitor. Do you think he was saying Lambier was the greatest Center?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:14 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Dignified Rube wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I constantly need to check if DR is a Mult. Nope.

I guess those Super Bowls dont have any pressure...especially the first one, which I think they went off as 14 pt dogs? for a guy who was 6th round draft pick, taking over for an all pro QB, yeah, No pressure.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:24 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
No he didn't.

He said Fouts was "the greatest competitor". Which is something nice you say about someone when you can't say "greatest player".

Chuck Daly called Bill Lambier the greatest competitor. Do you think he was saying Lambier was the greatest Center?

Well, let's see, Fouts was physically more talented than Brady in being able to throw a 60 yrd. pass on a rope---something Brady could never do. And then you have the #2 greatest HC of all time in Walsh saying Fouts was the "greatest competitor" he had ever seen. Coryell, Gibbs and Madden would all agree with that either for having coached Fouts or coached against him.

So what does Brady do better than Fouts, who never had the defense behind him that Brady had?? Nothing. Still, Fouts beat all the best teams from the greatest era in football. Nothing more needs to be said.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:31 am 

:lol: Physically more talented does not make one the greatest QB

By that standard Jay Cutler is the best QB in the league today, and we all know that is not even close.

Brady does everything a QB needs to do better than Fouts. And it is not even close.

This is hilarious :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Jay Cutler is physically more talented than Tom Brady. Is he a better QB as well?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:33 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I will agree Fouts threw a better ball than Brady. Fouts didnt display touch of throwing over drop back LB's, the way Brady does. Fouts didnt move entire defenses the way Brady does with a quick hitch of his shoulders.

I can make a list of QB's with better physical abilities that Brady all day. Elway, Marino, Jeff George!...but since 2003 The Pats have the best record in football, the most super bowl rings and their are only 2 constants in that picture. They each take a share of it. How much of a share might yet to be determined, but they are int he process of making history.

One more thing is that Fouts had the WR's in Joyner, Jefferson and Winslow for most of his career. Thats one thing Brady hasnt had. Yes, he got the final 3 years of Moss , which might have been Moss's best? Outside of Barry Bonds, name a guy whos final 3 years are his best in pro sports? and now he has Gronk, but once again....he has gone through a long list of WR's to make this great run.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next