It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:58 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
(Do we need Nashville and Jacksonville, really?) The NFL doesn't need St. Louis and St. Louis can't support three teams. Get them out of the league.

I think I agree with you.

Move existing teams to more proper places: LA, San Antonio, Toronto??.........hell, Raleigh could probably support a team better than Jacksonville or St Louis.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:19 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Toronto is out. They didn't give a shit about Bills games, the SkyDome is FINALLY being converted to a baseball-only structure this year or next, and the Liberal Party has recently come out strong against public funding for sports facilities. The Argonauts are going to have to play at a dinky soccer stadium and that's gonna be pretty much it for football in Toronto. Their future is in soccer and basketball with all the immigrants they get.

Raleigh is smaller than Milwaukee and hours away from Charlotte and they only have the one pro team they have because the owner couldn't move the Whalers to Auburn Hills instead. It's a nothing.

San Antonio was an intriguing possibility when it looked like the Saints were washed out of town but they would have had to replace the Alamodome, and I don't think there's any appetite for that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:28 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
They've gone too far with the jerseys this year.

seriously it's like they've gone out of their way to be as unappealing as possible. ketchup and mustard is right. boy i love watching bad football teams look like mcdonald's playland cogs running around.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:37 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Toronto is out. They didn't give a shit about Bills games, the SkyDome is FINALLY being converted to a baseball-only structure this year or next, and the Liberal Party has recently come out strong against public funding for sports facilities. The Argonauts are going to have to play at a dinky soccer stadium and that's gonna be pretty much it for football in Toronto. Their future is in soccer and basketball with all the immigrants they get.

Raleigh is smaller than Milwaukee and hours away from Charlotte and they only have the one pro team they have because the owner couldn't move the Whalers to Auburn Hills instead. It's a nothing.

San Antonio was an intriguing possibility when it looked like the Saints were washed out of town but they would have had to replace the Alamodome, and I don't think there's any appetite for that.

We agree the 8x4=32 is great for the NFL.
We agree that we'd rather not have expansion.
We agree we'd rather have re-location.

What cities....other than LA.....would you rather see some NFL franchise in? You gonna hit me with the "2 teams in Chicago" stuff? No way.

Austin?
Columbus?
El Paso?
Maybe another Dallas metro team?

I mean......

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:41 pm 

Other than Los Angeles, I don't want the NFL anywhere that they're not in already. There's no market left that can support an NFL team on top of whatever professional teams and college programs are already there. Orlando is too close to the other three Florida teams to work without stepping on their toes; Jacksonville and Tampa in particular rely heavily on Orlando as a secondary television market.

London is a logistical/bureaucratic nightmare waiting to happen. One-offs are barely tolerable, but basing a business there is going to open a world of trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:45 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Other than Los Angeles, I don't want the NFL anywhere that they're not in already..

I agree.....

but then you can't openly complain about St. Louis and Jacksonville. And Nashville.

And Tampa.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:55 pm 

Well, with Nashville and Jacksonville, I guess it's just a matter of "well, they're here, might as well deal with them." It wouldn't occur to me to put teams in either one. I mean, Jacksonville only got an expansion team because the owners wanted to keep St. Louis and Baltimore for themselves in relocation, and sure enough, those cities got teams through relocation. With those cities accounted for in expansion, do you think the league would have signed off on the Rams or Browns moving to Jacksonville? Charlotte, maybe, but not Jacksonville. Franchise relocations were supposed to be against the NFL-AFL antitrust exemption until Al Davis had it thrown out, and while I generally adore Al Davis, that set the stage for a lot of bad moves, the Baltimore Colts obviously being the worst.

Anyway, Jacksonville is plodding along well enough. St. Louis is an active drag on the league. No one likes them, the team doesn't want to be there, they play in a tomb, and the financing for the tomb's replacement is shaky at best.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:20 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
So that was easy money. Thanks lovie

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:42 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Anyway, Jacksonville is plodding along well enough. St. Louis is an active drag on the league. No one likes them, the team doesn't want to be there, they play in a tomb, and the financing for the tomb's replacement is shaky at best.

Jacksonville and St Louis have essentially swapped places in the last 2 years.
That's not exactly a ringing endorsement for either.

There just has to be better locations for both.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:27 am 

The obvious solution would seem to be to move the Jaguars to St. Louis, where Shahid Khan wanted to be, and the Rams to Los Angeles, where Stan Kroenke wants to be, but who's to say what few St. Louis football fans are left would get on board with the shitty Jaguars after years of the shitty Rams and shitty Football Cardinals? Forget it.

I think Jacksonville is doing fine enough for now on the business side, but I don't trust it to last. I really thought they were done for around 2009-2010 when the team was for sale and all their home games were being blacked out, but the Los Angeles Jaguars never happened, probably because Fox didn't want CBS getting Los Angeles to themselves on the much cheaper AFC TV package.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:45 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
spanky wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
spanky wrote:
Still one of my top-2 favorite NFL refs to watch call a game.

it has to be ed hochuli, right?

Nope. Too "talky".

I love me some Gene Steratore. Cool, calm, collected......swagger....
And a big time college basketball referee as well.

1. Jerome Boger
2. Ed Hochuli
3. Pete Morelli
4. Gene Steratore
5. Clete Blakeman
6. Al Riveron
7. Bill Leavy
8. Terry McAulay
9. John Parry
10. Walt Anderson

Light 'em up!

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:49 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
It's the "Color Rush" initiative. Every team on Thursdays will have to wear the same colored jersey, gloves, pants, socks, and shoes. Let's hope next year doesn't have all-orange Bears against all-yellow Packers. People might have to buy new TVs.

Next week is Raiders vs. Chargers. Black vs. powder blue.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:03 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
spanky wrote:
AS IN:

"Hey Johnny, when you look at Billy, do you suddenly get the overwhelming urge to eat a milk dud??" :wink:
Except now its more like 'Hey Brayden, when you look at Kaden or Casper' or some other goofy name.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.