It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: VEGAS RAIDERS
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:23 pm 

bigfan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
This would be pretty great but it won't happen for many good reasons($$$) for the NFL.

Won't happen for ONE simple reason.

I don't think that is really an issue now. London has sports gambling and will almost certainly be using it to sell the London Red Coats as a fun experience.

It's more about population and the 24 hour working cycle of so many of the potential fans.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Sheldon Adelson wants a dome.

And, the Raiders can do whatever they want, because the league didn't follow its own rules in letting the Rams move to LA. Raiders can say, "can't say we aren't following the rules when the league didn't follow them themselves".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: nino's
Vegas really isn't about gaming anymore. They've diversified into partying/shows/dining.

When sports gambling is legalized nationally to get that sweet tax revenue the "because gambling" excuse will be thankfully over.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:31 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The best thing I can say about Vegas in the NFL is that it wouldn't be half the horse abortion that Vegas in the NHL would be.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Chi-Vegas White Sox

I like it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:23 pm 

Raiders staying in Oakland in 2016 with options for 2017 and 2018. Suck it, Vegas.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/oakl ... rns-021116

Report: NFL owners had concerns about Raiders and gang culture in LA

The Rams were the winners of the NFL-to-Los Angeles sweepstakes in January and will once again call Southern California their home.

However, it's amazing how close and fierce the competition was among the Rams, Chargers and Raiders to be the team to occupy LA after a two-decade hiatus. And while the Chargers were given permission to move to the area with the Rams, the Raiders got the shaft.

And there's an interesting theory as to why. According to a story in the latest issue of ESPN The Magazine, many NFL owners were hesistant to allow the Silver and Black to return to Los Angeles since their team apparel had been adopted by local gangs.

According to the story:

Most owners wanted to avoid a Raiders return to Los Angeles, owing to Al Davis' burned bridges and the co-opting of the team apparel by gangs, concerns so deep that some wouldn't even consider Carson.

Huh, interesting. However, that attitude does jibe with what Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reported in January about Rams owner Stan Kroenke being skittish about partnering with the Raiders in Los Angeles.

One of the big reasons, an underlying reason for the Rams wanting to have the Chargers in Los Angeles with them is that the Rams don't really want to have the Raiders there. They view the Raiders as part of a marketing challenge because of the Raiders' history there and specifically because they're building such an elaborate complex in the Inglewood area that's going to feature shopping. The Rams frankly don't want to have a lot of Raider fans in that area. That's what's working against the Raiders working against Los Angeles in this situation.

The ESPN story is a fascinating insight into the NFL's fight for Los Angeles. One quote in particular stands out. Apparently, a pair of buyers approached late Raiders owner Al Davis with an offer to purchase the team and move it to LA.

During one such lunch meeting in 2010, two Los Angeles businessmen pitched a low-ball offer to Al Davis, who started laughing. "F--- you," he told them. "Get the hell out of here." And he went back to eating his lunch.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:52 pm 

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_ ... os-angeles

Here's the article in question. It's a must-read. Some takeaways:

- Jerry Richardson is an enormous piece of shit. What's this small-time Charlotte fuck doin' trying to broker the Los Angeles deal, anyway?
Quote:
Richardson flew his private plane to visit several owners. Everyone around the league called it the Jerry Tour. He insisted that Carson was the better site and that the league not only would regret leaving St. Louis for a second time but would set an awful precedent by turning away the estimated $477 million in public funds for a new stadium that the state of Missouri was poised to offer. At times, Richardson's hard-charging style, delivered with a threatening tone and citing favors he had done for them, offended some owners. "He bullied people," a team executive says. "Some were turned off by his forcefulness."

- The Rams maintained bare-bones office space in Los Angeles all these years and never redecorated. Weird.

- Look at this:
Quote:
Most owners meetings are boring. Some members doze. Groupthink often prevails. Not this time.

You think a McCaskey slept through meetings?