It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
2004 Eagles vs. Pats

Only game in Super Bowl history (up until that point, not sure about now) to be tied at the half. Comeback was just short by a McNabb interception by Rodney Harrison.

No, I won't go with the 1980 Eagles. They got their ass completely whooped.

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
http://challonge.com/csfmb_sb_losers

Two of the quarterfinal matchups have been determined. Brady vs Brady -- the 07 vs the 11. 07 gives you Moss , 11 gives you Gronk and Hernandez. The edge has to go to the 07 Patriots though -- that was the highest scoring team that year along with the 4th best defense in terms of points, while 11 was 3rd and 15th. Have to wonder if this won't be another steam roll by the 07 Patriots team.

The other matchup is the 06 Bears against the 95 Steelers. Neither team did very well on offense in their first round game, so I expect this will be another defensive battle. Historically, the 95 Steelers were 5th in the league in points scored and the 06 Bears were 2nd in the league, so maybe I'm wrong and they'll light it up! If I had to pick a side, I think I'd go with the Bears.

Tomorrow's remaining first round matchups:

81 Bengals vs 13 Broncos
-- Ken Anderson had a pro-bowl year throwing to Collinsworth, while Pete Johnson led the ground game with a career high of 1077 yards. Also the last time punter Pat McInally would contribute to the receiving corps. Even with Dick LeBeau coaching the defensive backs, the one weakness they had was keeping the other team from scoring... average score against them was 19 points a game. Even worse though were the 13 Broncos, who gave up 24.9 points a game; although it helps when your offense averages nearly 38 a game. Peyton's last year as a dominant QB and with Knowshon Moreno on the ground, the offense was incredibly good. First in nearly every passing category and in the top half of the league on the ground. My Take: I expect this to be a barn burner and will give the edge to the Broncos.

08 Cardinals vs 09 Colts -- Against all expectations, the 08 Cardinals managed to make it to the Super Bowl with a 9-7 record, and came within a couple minutes of winning the whole thing. Finally restoring some pride to the organization, the Cardinals were led by 37 year old Kurt Warner who had won in the past with the Rams. A trio of receivers with 1000 plus yards: Breaston, Boldin, and Fitzgerald. The one thing they didn't have was a run game -- last in the league in yards and second last in yards/attempt. The defense wasn't much to talk about either ranking 28th in points given up. 09 Colts were really in the prime of their run -- Manning, Wayne, Dallas Clark, but similar to the Cards, they had no ground game finishing 30th in yards/attempt. My Take: The Cardinals were a bit lucky to get there in the first place -- I think the Colts win this by 14+ points.

90 Bills vs 84 Dolphins -- The start of the dominance in the AFC for the Bills, 90 was the first shot in the franchise history for the Super Bowl. Running the run and shoot, the Bills had great success with Kelly throwing to Reed and Lofton, and Thomas dominating the ground game. Defensively, they were pretty stacked as well - Smith had 19 sacks that year. The 84 Dolphins were unstoppable on offense, with second year starter Marino setting crazy numbers -- 5084 yards and 48 TDs -- records that stood for decades. Reggie Roby was punting that ball like no one's business, and they gave up 18 points a game, 7th best in the league. My Take: The Bills are too well rounded of a team, I think they get past this and Norwood won't be forced to hit a game winner.

68 Colts vs 76 Vikings -- The Colts were a dominant 13-1 with NFL MVP Earl Morrall leading the show (Unitas was injured that year in the last game of the preason.) Mackey, Richardson, and Orr made up the bulk of the passing game while Tom Matte was the primary RB. The Colts defense was extremly good, ranking in the top 2 or 3 in most categories. A huge favorite going into the Super Bowl, they ran into Broadway Joe and the upstart Jets. For the 76 Vikings, this was their fourth and most recent trip to the Super Bowl. Tarkenton was still a ProBowl caliber QB and Sammy White was his main target. However, the main threat was Chuck Foreman who racked up 1155 yards in 14 games (as was the style at the time.) The defense (with Buddy Ryan as DC) limited the opposition to just 12.6 points a game. My Take: If they could replay Super Bowl III 10 times, the Colts probably win 9 of the 10. I'll take the Colts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:05 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Where the bleep are the 88'-89' Bengals??

Took Montana theatrics on the last drive to beat them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTpuCIT9rZg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:59 am 

81 Bengals vs 13 Broncos

Game Link: https://www.whatifsports.com/nfl/boxsco ... teamfee=-1

Not the barn burner I expected this one to be! The Broncos got out to a quick lead thanks to a couple of early field goals and a TD drive from their own 35. Cincinnati then answered back the exact same way -- a couple of field golas, and then a 31 yard Pete Johnson run to tie it up. Denver had to rely again on the strong legged Prater to knock one in from 35 yards to take the victory. Manning was a very efficient 18 for 23, but no TDs or INTs. Player of the game was an easy one this time around, Eric Decker had 6 receptions for 138 yards including a 50 yarder. Jim Breech's missed FG was the difference in this one as they needed those points to force OT.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:10 pm 

08 Cardinals vs 09 Colts

Finally a game with a little firepower. The Colts using a balanced approach seemed to pay off as Manning was an almost perfect 18 of 19 for 172 yards, 5 TDs, and 0 INTs. Warner wasn't too shabby either going 22 for 32 for 273 yards and 4 TDs with 0 INTs. Wayne led the Colt recievers with 6 catches for 72 yards and 2 TDs, while Addai and Brown ground out some rushing yards -- not terribly effective there. Boldin and Fitzgerald both had nice games, and Breaston caught two short TDs. Questionable coaching by the Cardinals - down 3 with 1:42 left they decide to kickoff with only two timeouts remaining, instead of trying for the onside recovery. Colts converted twice and ran the clock out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
newper wrote:
06 Bears vs 83 Redskins

Grossman was fairly efficient, however, going 15 for 19 and 210 yards with a couple of TD passes.

WOULD. NOT. HAPPEN.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:48 pm 

90 Bills vs 84 Dolphins

It didn't take very long for this game to become a blow out -- most the fans left the game by the middle of the third quarter. To put it simply, the Dolphins could not contain the rushing attack of the Bills. 176 yards on 21 carries for Thomas with 3 TDs made it an easy player of the game pick. Kelly added support through the air with a clean 172 yard game. Marino was held in check, completing only 13 passes for 167 yards, and getting sacked 3 times by Bruce Smith. All 5 of the Bills TDs came on the ground with Jamie Mueller scoring the other 2. A very strong performance from this Bills squad as they advance in the tournament.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
newper wrote:
81 Bengals vs 13 Broncos

Not the barn burner I expected this one to be! The Broncos got out to a quick lead thanks to a couple of early field goals and a TD drive from their own 35. Cincinnati then answered back the exact same way -- a couple of field golas, and then a 31 yard Pete Johnson run to tie it up. Denver had to rely again on the strong legged Prater to knock one in from 35 yards to take the victory. Manning was a very efficient 18 for 23, but no TDs or INTs. Player of the game was an easy one this time around, Eric Decker had 6 receptions for 138 yards including a 50 yarder. Jim Breech's missed FG was the difference in this one as they needed those points to force OT.

Take that, Hussra!

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:48 pm 

68 Colts vs 76 Vikings

A low scoring back and forth game featuring a couple of turnovers from both teams, but in the end, it was the ground game of the Colts that put them over the top. Player of the game was Tom Matte who finished with 90 yards on 16 attempts including the game winning TD with 1:06 left on the clock. Terry Cole played well as a change of pace back putting up 52 yards on 9 carries. Both Morrall and Tarkenton posted near identical numbers -- 13 completions for 210 and 211 yards, with Morrall getting picked twice while Tarkenton was only once. The Vikings had the ball with one minute to go but Ahmad Rashad gumbled at midfield and the Colts were able to kneel out the clock.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:39 pm 

Updated Bracket: http://challonge.com/csfmb_sb_losers

We have the two other semifinal matches set.

Manning vs Manning - Colts vs Broncos
-- If you look at just the offenses, you could make a case for either side, although I'd lean towards the Broncos solely on the record breaking performance of Manning that year. When you add in the defense, there's no doubt about it that the Broncos are better than the Colts. I expect to see the Broncos continue forward from here.

90 Bills vs 68 Colts -- This is a more intrgiuing matchup, and perhaps one that is more open to debate due to the eras in which the teams played. The Bills were one of the most all-around best teams; you could try to target a single aspect of their game to shut down, but they had weapons everywhere. The Colts, on the other hand, were so much more dominant than the other teams from that era. Maybe it boils down to my age and familiarity, but I'll take the Bills over the Colts.

---

Wednesday's Schedule
11 Patriots (Terry's Peeps) vs 07 Patriots (GoldenJet)
06 Bears (leashyokids) vs 95 Steelers (donspiracy)

Thursday's Schedule
13 Broncos (FavreFan) vs 09 Colts (W_Z)
90 Bills (RFDC) vs 68 Colts (FrankDrebin)

Friday we'll play both of the semifinals, and then I'll post the final on Saturday.

I have to say that thus far, I think this sim runs like a 80s NFL -- the passing isn't even close to what it should be, especially when teams are playing the Favor Pass option. That being said, I don't know that I see any major upsets thus far. For the record, I've only been simulating these games once and using that result, so maybe I'm just happening to run into one-off games with less of an air attack.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:21 pm 

11 Patriots (Terry's Peeps) vs 07 Patriots (GoldenJet)

Game Link: https://www.wisjournal.com/nfl/boxscore ... teamfee=-1

I can't quite believe this is as much a blowout as it is... one Brady played very well, 25 of 29 for 367 yards, the other Brady 12 of 19 for 171. Welker came up big scoring for each team, but Moss and Gaffney were the big reception yard leaders. Player of the game was the good Brady, and probably the right pick. It is becoming increasingly clear that this is the team to beat in the tournament.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:31 pm 

Mushin Muhammad opens the game with a bang, with a 50 yard TD pass, and from there we get a lot of kicking. Boring FG after boring FG - oh well, they can't all be thrilling games. Neither team did much passing with the Bears leading with 149 yards. Pegram and Morris however racked up 155 yards on the ground. The most glaring statistic though is Chicago going 1 for 11 on third down conversions. Muhammad caught 3 other passes for a total of 92 yards which got him player of the game. A solid pick, but Bam Morris getting 72 yards on just 13 carries was pretty impressive as well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
I do enjoy how Manning v. Brady is gonna be one of the Semi Finals.

And my pick the '95 Steelers going against the '90 Bills.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:17 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
newper wrote:

Mushin Muhammad opens the game with a bang, with a 50 yard TD pass, and from there we get a lot of kicking. Boring FG after boring FG - oh well, they can't all be thrilling games. Neither team did much passing with the Bears leading with 149 yards. Pegram and Morris however racked up 155 yards on the ground. The most glaring statistic though is Chicago going 1 for 11 on third down conversions. Muhammad caught 3 other passes for a total of 92 yards which got him player of the game. A solid pick, but Bam Morris getting 72 yards on just 13 carries was pretty impressive as well.
Hogwash. If the '06 Bears are up in the turnover battle, they likely win. I don't see them giving up 130+ yards on the ground to anybody.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:21 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
newper wrote:

Hogwash. If the '06 Bears are up in the turnover battle, they likely win. I don't see them giving up 130+ yards on the ground to anybody.

They gave up 191 in the Super Bowl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:37 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Well that was a dumb comment then.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:57 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

:lol:

Bend dont break.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Frank Coztansa wrote:

:lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:13 pm 

13 Broncos (FavreFan) vs 09 Colts (W_Z)

A classic Manning on Manning matchup and Manning comes out looking the best. 306 yards on 21 of 26 with 2 TDs and a pick. Both Wayne and Garcon picked up 70+ yds and a TD. Denver's Manning did not fare nearly as well with 169 yards on just 12 completions (though they did run the ball well with Ball and Moreno.) The big drive came around the seven minute mark of the 4th quarter. Denver was down 10-17 and had 1st and Goal at the 10, and went incomplete pass, Moreno rush for loss of yards, Manning scramble(?) for 0 yards, and a FG. Colts were able to chew up the rest of the clock and put away the victory.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:20 pm 

This game had some interesting moments including a Terry Cole 97 yard TD reception towards the end of the first quarter. He was named player of the game for that play, although he did add 31 yards rushing as well. Morrall was 15 for 22 for 282 with 2 TDs and a pick, while Kelly got pulled for Reich late in the game for a drive, presumably due to an injury. Kelly's numbers were 10 for 26 for 142 yards and 3 INTs... not a very good showing. Thomas was held to just 53 yards rushing. This game was really never in too much doubt.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
newper wrote:

This game had some interesting moments including a Terry Cole 97 yard TD reception towards the end of the first quarter. He was named player of the game for that play, although he did add 31 yards rushing as well. Morrall was 15 for 22 for 282 with 2 TDs and a pick, while Kelly got pulled for Reich late in the game for a drive, presumably due to an injury. Kelly's numbers were 10 for 26 for 142 yards and 3 INTs... not a very good showing. Thomas was held to just 53 yards rushing. This game was really never in too much doubt.

There is no way this would happen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:28 am 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
newper wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Quote:

It did. Like four times in a row.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:43 pm 

07 Patriots (GJ) vs 09 Colts (WZ)

In the Manning vs Brady history, this will go down as a game to forget. Both threw for basically the same numbers (16 completions for 150ish yards) but Brady did have two TDs. Neither was picked off. The Colts did a pretty good job of shutting down the ground game of the Patriots, holding them to a 3.4 yard average, while the Colts were getting 4.0. Huge play where Indy has to field a punt at their own 6, and Addai fumbles the ball on the very next play setting up the short Moss TD. Another big mental mistake was in the second quarter when the Patriots lined up for a FG, the Colts get flagged for encroachment, automatic first down at the 5 yard line for the Pats who then throw another TD to Moss.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:53 pm 

68 Colts (FD) vs 95 Steelers (don)

This was a major defensive battle. Colts were 5/15 on 3rd down, Steelers were 2/12. No turnovers and 14 total punts. A couple of Steeler FGs in the 2nd quarter, and a couple of incomplete deep balls as time expired at half for Morall. Must have been a good halftime speech in the Colts locker room as they took the 2nd half kickoff, returned it to their own 39, and then marched the rest of the way down the field for a TD. Steelers trailing 10-6 with 9 minutes to go in the 4th find themselves with a 4th and 1 at the Colts 19 -- instead of kicking the FG, they go for it and are stopped. Colts go three and out, and the Steelers again move the ball down the field with a first and goal from the 5 at the two minute warning. O'Donnell has an incomplete, a scramble, a batted down pass and a batted down pass. Had the ball back again with :30 left on the clock at the Colts 43, but couldn't advance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:07 pm 

newper wrote:
68 Colts (FD) vs 95 Steelers (don)

This was a major defensive battle. Colts were 5/15 on 3rd down, Steelers were 2/12. No turnovers and 14 total punts. A couple of Steeler FGs in the 2nd quarter, and a couple of incomplete deep balls as time expired at half for Morall. Must have been a good halftime speech in the Colts locker room as they took the 2nd half kickoff, returned it to their own 39, and then marched the rest of the way down the field for a TD. Steelers trailing 10-6 with 9 minutes to go in the 4th find themselves with a 4th and 1 at the Colts 19 -- instead of kicking the FG, they go for it and are stopped. Colts go three and out, and the Steelers again move the ball down the field with a first and goal from the 5 at the two minute warning. O'Donnell has an incomplete, a scramble, a batted down pass and a batted down pass. Had the ball back again with :30 left on the clock at the Colts 43, but couldn't advance.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:56 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
That bills team would have had 300 plus yards rushing by Thomas and a dozen sacks by Smith.. You can't compare teams where o line was 75 lbs smaller on average to more current teams.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:08 pm 

Final matchup coming tomorrow!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:47 pm 

07 Patriots (GJ) vs 68 Colts (FD)

This was one for the record books, and our first OT game of the tournament. The Patriots did well in the air, 21 for 27 with 266 yards passing and no picks, while the Colts were slightly less efficient going 20 for 29 with 231 yards and 1 pick. On the ground game, however, the Colts did better - 39 carries for 173 yards, while the Patriots did markedly worse with 32 carries for only 85 yards. The first quarter had a big run and big catch by Tom Matte, and then Terry Cole came up with a 30+ yard TD to put the Colts up 14-0. In the 2nd quarter, the Colts added another TD but the Patriots showed signs of life with 2 FGs and a TD to close the gap to 13-21. Turnovers kept scoring low in the 3rd, with the Colts managing one FG to make it 13-24. However, the Patriots opened the 4th quarter with a TD and two point conversion, and managed to get a FG with 2:43 left in the game to tie it up. The Colts had a 4th and 10 from the 39 yard line with 1:03 left, but the field goal went wide. Patriots responded by driving to the 20 yard line with :15 seconds left, and Gostkowski choked on a 37 yarder! Off to OT we go, and the Colts win the toss. returning the opening kickoff to their own 40. A mere 7 plays later, Terry Cole breaks one for 18 yards and the game winning touchdown! 30-24, Colts!