It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:26 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
It happens in sports. The Seahawks was just dreadful for years and now they are a powerhouse. The Packers were terrible from the early/mid 70s until Farve got there. The Marlins have two World Series titles since 1997, while the entire city of Chicago has one since 1909.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
jimmypasta wrote:
http://deadspin.com/gary-kubiak-was-actually-the-third-person-to-win-the-su-1757718771

At least twice during the Super Bowl broadcast, Jim Nantz relayed an interesting fact to the audience: With Denver’s win, head coach Gary Kubiak—who backed up John Elway for nine seasons—became the first person to ever win the Super Bowl as a head coach for the same team he played for.

An interesting fact, but one that Nantz (or more likely, Nantz’s research assistant) got wrong. The first person to ever win the Super Bowl as a head coach for the same team he played for was Oakland Raiders legend Tom Flores. Flores quarterbacked the Raiders for six seasons, before coaching them to victory in Super Bowls XV and XVII.

Kubiak isn’t even the second coach to achieve the feat. Mike Ditka led the Chicago Bears and their famed 46 defense to a win in Super Bowl XX, twenty years after his stint as a Bears tight end. Coincidentally, both Flores’s and Ditka’s final season playing for the team they would eventually coach to Super Bowl victory was 1966, the season of Super Bowl I.

What Nantz might’ve meant to say is that Kubiak is the first head coach to win a Super Bowl with the same team he went to the Super Bowl with as a player, which is true. Kubiak was on the roster for the Broncos defeats in Super Bowls XXI, XXII, and XXIV, throwing seven passes total in those three games.

h/t Alan

Flores didn't win a Super Bowl as a player with the Raiders, and Ditka didn't win a Super Bowl as a player with the Bears.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
schmitty1121 wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
schmitty1121 wrote:
Pretty brutal game, especially QB wise. Didn't expect much from Manning, and he lived up to that. Cam was a pussy in the biggest moment, and just awful passing. It took all season, but he proved to be who I thought he was. He's not a great QB. He's ok, but still sucks as a passer.

All we heard about is how he matured and became a real leader. Anyone can look that way when they go 15-1. He's still the same guy. Can't wait til they go 7-9 next year once they play a real schedule.

Agree. He's the same guy and same player. He was a product of a bad division and had a decent defense behind him.

These are all pretty horrible thoughts. If you don't like money, go ahead and wager against the Panthers making the playoffs again next year. Cam was the best player in the league this year and deserved to win MVP. He had a terrible game yesterday, but he didn't look much worse than Brady did facing that same defense.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:36 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
schmitty1121 wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
schmitty1121 wrote:
Pretty brutal game, especially QB wise. Didn't expect much from Manning, and he lived up to that. Cam was a pussy in the biggest moment, and just awful passing. It took all season, but he proved to be who I thought he was. He's not a great QB. He's ok, but still sucks as a passer.

All we heard about is how he matured and became a real leader. Anyone can look that way when they go 15-1. He's still the same guy. Can't wait til they go 7-9 next year once they play a real schedule.

Agree. He's the same guy and same player. He was a product of a bad division and had a decent defense behind him.

These are all pretty horrible thoughts. If you don't like money, go ahead and wager against the Panthers making the playoffs again next year. Cam was the best player in the league this year and deserved to win MVP. He had a terrible game yesterday, but he didn't look much worse than Brady did facing that same defense.

To think that Brady also had the benefit of an all-world (& huge) TE and receivers that can: 1) get open, & 2) actually catch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Was I the only one hearing the directors cues to nantz for a lot of the game? It was faint but clearly audible if you listened for it. Maybe it only affected those using the 5.1 dolby feed? Or maybe my tinfoil hat picked up that audio?

Last edited by billypootons on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:53 pm 

billypootons wrote:
Was I the only one hearing the directors cues to nantz for a lot of the game? It was faint but clearky audible if you listened for it. Or did my tinfoil hat pick up that audio?

I thought the audio was terrible the entire game. It sounded like Nantz and Simms were broadcasting on an AM radio signal.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10