The most dangerous team in the East 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
In the picture, but still weaker than CLE/DET/CHI 55%  55%  [ 11 ]
In trouble, they'll be good this year, but screwed long-term 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 20
 Post subject: Garnett
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

Garnett headed for Celtics?

Kevin Garnett might be headed for Boston after all.

From News Services

Last update: July 30, 2007 – 12:10 PM

Kevin Garnett might be headed for Boston after all.
Both major Boston newspapers are reporting that a deal between the Celtics and the Timberwolves is near completion.

The Boston Herald reports the final package will likely have the Celtics sending Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff and a No. 1 pick to Minnesota to acquire Garnett.

The Herald also reported the Celtics and Garnett have reached an agreement in principle on a contract extension. It appears Garnett is willing to forego the opt-out in his current deal for next summer and cast his lot with Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and the Celtics.

The Boston Globe said Boston's executive director of basketball operations/GM Danny Ainge would send Jefferson, Green, Ratliff and Telfair to Minnesota in exchange for Garnett, 31.

Garnett's agent, Andy Miller, told the Globe that "there are serious discussions in place."

Before the NBA draft, Miller said Garnett would not be willing to accept a trade to Boston. The Celtics picked up Ray Allen from the Sonics in a draft-day deal, however.

When asked about the option as well as Garnett's willingness to play in Boston, Miller added: "Part of the discussion that is taking place is addressing those issues as well as others to see if the destination makes sense for all parties. Everything is part of the overall picture as to how to bring this to a conclusion or go in a different direction."

http://www.startribune.com/wolves/story/1332831.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:50 pm 

They will be dangerous for a year or two, but the skills of each player will diminish quickly.

Also, who else would they have? Is it going to be those 3 and a bunch of losers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
I'm kind of torn. One one hand, they would clearly be the most dangerous team in the East. There is no trio better than KG, Pierce and Allen.

On the issue of whether it's bad long term for the Celtics is fuzzy. I guess we have to assume they would be resigning him or it's no question they're screwing themselves long term. Even still, KG is getting up there in age and I'm sure he isn't going to sign for the MLE, so still you're tying up money long term for someone arguably on the downside of his career. But still, the best thing you're giving up is Jefferson (and some financial flexibility). I like Jefferson, I think he has the potential to be an Elton Brand type player, but I'm not sure if he's someone that's going to be anything more than a solid, above average player. Not a franchise changing player.

I guess overall, I say it makes them the best in the East right now, and I hesitantly say they're not screwing themselves long term, although in the last year or two of this experiment it could get ugly when everyone is old and completely past their prime.

Also I wonder what the chances are this deal actually goes through. We've had to sit though months and months of rumors and Jim Gray "reports" on deals that never took place that who knows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:59 pm 

Nas wrote:
Boston doesn't have any role players and the Timberwolves got a lot of garbage for him. I wonder how Kevin McHale is feeling about turning down the trade of Chandler, Deng and the #2 pick last year.

Yes, there is no question McHale is the worst GM in the league.

Hell, if they could have pulled off the trade for Atlanta's 2 lottery picks and some garbage it would have been better than what the Celtics are offering now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:16 pm 

Nas wrote:
I'm still not sure if they are a top 4 team. They have 3 all star players and nothing else. Who is the go to guy? Who will be the facilitator? What happens when these guys need to rest?

Pierce = go to guy
Garnett = facilitator

What happened when Jordan and Pippen needed to rest? They'll be fine. The rest of the roster would be role players, but their roles will be different now. It's difficult to say how they would do on a team with those 3 vs. on a team with just Pierce. Far less would be expected from them. Plus we don't know who would be going to Minnesota in that trade from that standpoint. Who cares? Those 3 complement each other really well. KG can still rebound and play great defense, Allen can still shoot outside, and Pierce can still create his own shot. I think what one lacks the other provides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:29 pm 

Nas wrote:
None of those players are Jordan or Pippen and none of them have proven they can make anyone around them better.

I missed the part where I said they are Jordan and Pippen's equals, I was just comparing situations.

Garnett clearly has made players around him better- Wally Szczerbiak was an all-star with Minnesota. Many average players have played in Minnesota with good results thanks to Garnett. Hell, even Mark Blount had a pretty decent year last year. Allen isn't really the type of player to make others better, he's a black hole. But that's his job- shooting guard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

They're incredibly thin, but I like their chances going forward. I don't see much space between Cleveland, Detroit, and Chicago anyway. You can now safely lump Boston in the with top 4, and I'd say that New Jersey and Toronto now lead the 2nd tier of teams in the East. Miami, Orlando, New York, Washington, and Milwaukee will be fighting it out for the last 2 spots. Indiana & Philly are likely to be high lottery teams (especially if Jermaine O'Neal is moved), and I still view Atlanta & Charlotte as being a couple of years away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:07 pm 

I preface my opinion on something else too- the acquisition of Allen. If they hadn't done that trade, I might still say build for the future, but getting Allen, now I feel the future is now, they might as well go for broke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:08 pm 

Spinnin' Bucket wrote:
I still view Atlanta & Charlotte as being a couple of years away.

Don't sleep on the Hawks! 8)

Remember so when my obscure prediction comes true I can revel in it, and if not no one will remember anyway :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:26 pm 

Did anyone here ever see Garnett play while at Farragut? I still have my school paper when they played Morgan Park and beat the tar out of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:44 pm 

Baku wrote:
Did anyone here ever see Garnett play while at Farragut? I still have my school paper when they played Morgan Park and beat the tar out of them.

I did, but not in person. I remember watching the state tournament on TV. The coach had no idea how to use KG.

About the trade, if the three can stay healthy, they will be very dangerous for this year. However, it's a very big IF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:49 am 

So is this deal done or what?

If this fails to materialize.... :x

ESPN has been acting as if it were done for almost a day now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:47 pm 

Looks like it's done now

By the way, I do feel sorry for Minnesota. Their crowd was never in it to begin with and the building half empty, can you imagine now? It's going to be a cematery. Their starting lineup is going to feature Trent Hassell, Troy Hudson, Al Jefferson, Juwan Howard and Mark Blount. They could easily lose 60-70 games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:59 pm 

You are looking really young in general

PG: Foye
SG: Ricky Davis
SF: Brewer/Green
PF: Jefferson
C: Blount

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ricky Davis moved with his expiring contract for some size in the post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:01 pm 

Hawkeye Vince wrote:
You are looking really young in general

PG: Foye
SG: Ricky Davis
SF: Brewer/Green
PF: Jefferson
C: Blount

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ricky Davis moved with his expiring contract for some size in the post.

Yeah, at this point they should try and move everyone except for Brewer, Foye and Jefferson and blow everything up

What happened to Rashad McCants? I know he had a pretty serious injury last year but I thought he was playing in summer league.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:20 pm 

I didn't put him down, but he is back this year.