It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 49  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:34 am 

IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
You want to keep bringing up Carmelo in his 15th season and yet completely ignore than Butler is only in his 7th season (after essentially being redshirted in his first year) when discussing Hall of Fame credentials. Jimmy Butler has Hall of Fame potential.

This his a Hall of Fame career:

938 G, 19.6 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 4.4 APG, 43.5% FG, 74.6% FT, 47 eFG%, 22.1 PER, 97.3 WS

This is Jimmy Butler so far:

425 G, 15.8 PPG (21.5 last 4 years) , 4.9 RPG (5.8 last 4 years), 3.2 APG (4.6 last 4 years), 44.8% FG (45.7 last 4 years), 82.9% (84.6 last 4 years) FT, 48.6% eFG (49.3 last years), 19.4 PER, 52.3 WS

If Butler can keep his last 4 year pace for the next 4 years (Age 29-32 seasons) and not have his career cut short by injury, he would be a Hall of Famer.

Anyone that knows basketball would know that Anthony (other than this one) has never avg under 20 per game in any season of his career. This is what I mean by you not anything about basketball. You post 19 per game for his career. That's impossible and really nothing that has to be validated given his rep as a scorer. I did it anyway just to show how foolish you are about this particular subject.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... oca01.html

You idiot. The top stat line is Tracy McGrady, a Hall of Famer. Not Carmelo. Where did I say it was Carmelo's?

Maybe it was the use of the word "his". It is no one's fault that you have bad grammar/spelling. It's yours. If this were an academic setting (which you seem overly concerned with for some reason) I'd ask you to be specific. If you want someone to know it's McGrady then say it's McGrady.

As such it's a dumbass comparison anyway. First off is the fact McGrady avg 4 points per game more for his career than Butler.

2 at his peak McGrady was considered top 5 by some experts. Definitely top 10 by most experts.

Jimmy Butler has never been considered that. There isn't a person alive besides your know nothing ass that would place Jimmy Butler in the same conversation as Tracy McGrady.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:57 am 

FavreFan wrote:
:lol:

I knew ltg would be jumping in here tonight to act like 1 game means more than 25 in terms of predicting future success.

Here are the numbers for your "one game" Wolves. Feel like I've heard that from you after about four different losses this season.

11-10 over their last 21 games. Here are the teams they've lost to over that stretch.

Suns twice.

Grizzlies. Only win in about 19 games I think.Will check.

Hornets.

Heat.

Thunder. Mediocrity personified.

Pistons. Currently slumping like hell.

Wizards. Nothing special either.

Warriors.

76ers. I love em but currently 1 game under .

These are you "1 game" Wolves. Coincidentally this record was accrued as Butler's role in the offense has increased. You can continue to overstate his value if you like. I'm not and I'm happy (Obviously) That the Bulls traded him.

As I stated before they haven't played any of the better teams yet and a number of their victories have come against bad teams and teams whose best players were injured.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
You want to keep bringing up Carmelo in his 15th season and yet completely ignore than Butler is only in his 7th season (after essentially being redshirted in his first year) when discussing Hall of Fame credentials. Jimmy Butler has Hall of Fame potential.

938 G, 19.6 PPG, 5.6 RPG, 4.4 APG, 43.5% FG, 74.6% FT, 47 eFG%, 22.1 PER, 97.3 WS

425 G, 15.8 PPG (21.5 last 4 years) , 4.9 RPG (5.8 last 4 years), 3.2 APG (4.6 last 4 years), 44.8% FG (45.7 last 4 years), 82.9% (84.6 last 4 years) FT, 48.6% eFG (49.3 last years), 19.4 PER, 52.3 WS

If Butler can keep his last 4 year pace for the next 4 years (Age 29-32 seasons) and not have his career cut short by injury, he would be a Hall of Famer.

Anyone that knows basketball would know that Anthony (other than this one) has never avg under 20 per game in any season of his career. This is what I mean by you not anything about basketball. You post 19 per game for his career. That's impossible and really nothing that has to be validated given his rep as a scorer. I did it anyway just to show how foolish you are about this particular subject.

You idiot. The top stat line is Tracy McGrady, a Hall of Famer. Not Carmelo. Where did I say it was Carmelo's?

Maybe it was the use of the word "his". It is no one's fault that you have bad grammar/spelling. It's yours. If this were an academic setting (which you seem overly concerned with for some reason) I'd ask you to be specific. If you want someone to know it's McGrady then say it's McGrady.

As such it's a dumbass comparison anyway. First off is the fact McGrady avg 4 points per game more for his career than Butler.

2 at his peak McGrady was considered top 5 by some experts. Definitely top 10 by most experts.

Jimmy Butler has never been considered that. There isn't a person alive besides your know nothing ass that would place Jimmy Butler in the same conversation as Tracy McGrady.

It does not matter that it is Mcgrady. It matters that it is a Hall of Fame career, which is the discussion.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:32 am 

IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

It does not matter that it is Mcgrady. It matters that it is a Hall of Fame career, which is the discussion.

McGrady isn't a Hall of Famer based on Career avg. Everyone that knows the game knows that his career avg was effected by injury. Look at the amount of games missed during his last 5 seasons. Even with that his numbers are much better. You're making excuses for Butler's first 3 year in the league well McGrady didn't play much during his first year either. His last 5 either.

Look at the years when he was that "guy" and compare them to Butler's best. He trunks him. Points, Rebounds, Assists, he murders him. He had a sustained run also.

Butler's career avg of 15.8 is pedestrian and he doesn't standout in any other area.

If you're attempting to make the argument that Butler should be in the Hall because McGrady is in the Hall then you sound foolish.

McGrady isn't in the Hall because of Career stats he is in the Hall because there were years that he was dominant.

It's also stupid to say it's not about McGrady. If you are using McGrady numbers then it's about McGrady.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:39 am 

Do you understand trends?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:47 am 

IMU wrote:
Do you understand trends?

Do me a favor stop with the aptitude tests. You're not that smart and your knowledge of sports isn't vast.

McGrady's career averages were heavily skewed by injuries. His performance was heavily impacted by it. If you look at his numbers you'll see that his last six years were washout years essentially.

You're discussing trends and using a 28 year old player as your reference point? A 28 year old that will never make an All NBA team again in his life. That is your example of trending?

You really sound stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:55 am 

Butler is trending up. You reference 15.8 several times but ignore the fact that he is 21+ PPG over the last 4 seasons. McGrady was one of my favorite players when I was younger, if not my absolute favorite. I'm very versed in his career. You also have been wrong about Butler every step of the way, so I'll take you not thinking he will make another All NBA team as a guarantee he makes several.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:05 pm 

IMU wrote:
Butler is trending up. You reference 15.8 several times but ignore the fact that he is 21+ PPG over the last 4 seasons. McGrady was one of my favorite players when I was younger, if not my absolute favorite. I'm very versed in his career. You also have been wrong about Butler every step of the way, so I'll take you not thinking he will make another All NBA team as a guarantee he makes several.

Was I wrong when I stated that Giannis was better?

How about Irving?

Maybe Cousins?

If you were as versed about McGrady as you claim to be we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Butler's avg has increased but he is really peaking as a player. His defense isn't what it once was and last season will be his career year. If I'm wrong I will own it.

Since you reference McGrady vs Butler let's look at it.

McGrady was a 7 time All NBA Butler is currently a one time All NBA selection. McGrady is a 2 time scoring champ Butler never been close.

McGrady had years where he was considered top 5 Butler never.

As far as guys that have been wrong about him it's been you more than anyone. You seemed to have him out the league then at some point you became his biggest fan. WYC?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:57 pm 

At the time you were wrong about Giannis. You're still wrong about Irving and Cousins. The league and NBA analysts all have Butler better. You are on an island.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:18 pm 

IMU wrote:
At the time you were wrong about Giannis. You're still wrong about Irving and Cousins. The league and NBA analysts all have Butler better. You are on an island.

Seeing as noted board analysts such as FF don't see fit to correct you I will. I was right about it then and I'm right about it now. Are you really that much of a fool or do you simply play one on TV?

Irving is in the conversation for MVP. He won't win but he will receive votes. He will be first or second team team All NBA this year. There isn't a conversation between him and Butler at this juncture.

Cousins will also be All NBA this year. Meanwhile Butler won't even be an All Star let alone All NBA.

Each of those three players have completely separated themselves from Butler.

Meanwhile you are continuing to peddle fallacious arguments like Top 10 player and Hall of Fame.

You probably need to give it rest champ. There are other hills to die on. You may not have realized it but you're sort of the only person currently peddling such gibberish.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:53 pm 

The board has generally agreed that they don't want to give you the time of day because they feel like they're picking on a genius. I don't share their same reservations.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:01 pm 

IMU wrote:
The board has generally agreed that they don't want to give you the time of day because they feel like they're picking on a genius. I don't share their same reservations.

Other than being in disagreement you really don't add much. Your role is simply to declare yourself right about everything regardless of whether you are or not.

You're another one that mistakenly believes that you are somehow Mr. Popularity. People ignore you because they have come to realize that you are nothing more than a source for stupid comments. What's the point of engaging a raging idiot?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:12 pm 

long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

Other than being in disagreement you really don't add much. Your role is simply to declare yourself right about everything regardless of whether you are or not.

You're another one that mistakenly believes that you are somehow Mr. Popularity. People ignore you because they have come to realize that you are nothing more than a source for stupid comments. What's the point of engaging a raging idiot?

You're definitely talking about yourself in your first paragraph.

Who ignores me? Name names.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:58 pm 

IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

You're definitely talking about yourself in your first paragraph.

Who ignores me? Name names.

In these NBA threads everyone except me it seems. Maybe I need to start because you don't really offer much other than silly personal jabs and meaningless stats.

McGrady/Butler comp is but the latest in a long line of stupid statements. You think you're being profound but it's apparent by comparisons such as this that you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

You double down with the whole trending thing as if you're offering insight but the truth is that there isn't much variation in Butler's production over the past couple of years. He has taken the proverbial step already anyway.

There isn't much upside to his game at this point and you'd know that if you understood sports. As far as "trends" go he is more likely to be trending downward than upward at this point. He is 28 with a lot of hard minutes on him and guys don't tend to get that much better at that age anyway.

When his game declines his career numbers will correspondingly decline along with it. If he doesn't have a career ending injury then he will spend 2-3 years coming off the bench and playing reduced minutes. That undoubtedly will effect his career numbers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:22 pm 

Butler is a top player in the NBA. He doesn't need a lot more upside lol.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:25 pm 

pizza_Place: My own
IMU wrote:

If he’s your best player, you’re never winning a thing. He’s a decent 2 and a great 3. Not sure that makes him a top player.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
storkinastorm wrote:
IMU wrote:

If he’s your best player, you’re never winning a thing. He’s a decent 2 and a great 3. Not sure that makes him a top player.

He’s an unbelievably great 2 and simply would not be a 3 on any team outside of GS.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:30 pm 

storkinastorm wrote:
IMU wrote:

Again, you're thinking of scoring only. The mistake LTG makes in every single NBA discussion. No, he normally wouldn't be your #1 shooting threat. But look at his PER compared to his usage rate, if you want advanced stats. Or look at this points / rebounds / assists / steals / shooting percentages if you want traditional stats. Or look at how the Timberwolves went from a losing team to a winning team. He is a top NBA player.

Jimmy Butler does more for his team when he is on the court than almost the entire NBA. Lebron, Kawhi, Giannis and maybe a couple of others can claim to do more. But there aren't 10 that can.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:32 pm 

IMU wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
IMU wrote:

Again, you're thinking of scoring only. The mistake LTG makes in every single NBA discussion. No, he normally wouldn't be your #1 shooting threat. But look at his PER compared to his usage rate, if you want advanced stats. Or look at this points / rebounds / assists / steals / shooting percentages if you want traditional stats. Or look at how the Timberwolves went from a losing team to a winning team. He is a top NBA player.

“Top NBA player” is vague. Where does he rank and who is better?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:34 pm 

You’re guys’ mistake is that you are undervaluing scoring. Scoring efficiently is the most important attribute of a “top player.” Butler probably isn’t in the top 20 and maybe not the top 30 when it comes to putting the ball in the basket.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:44 pm 

Somewhere between 7 and 12.

Not in order:

LeBron
Kawhi
Harden
Giannis
Durant
Anthony Davis
Steph Curry
Chris Paul

I could listen to arguments for Draymond,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:45 pm 

storkinastorm wrote:
You’re guys’ mistake is that you are undervaluing scoring. Scoring efficiently is the most important attribute of a “top player.” Butler probably isn’t in the top 20 and maybe not the top 30 when it comes to putting the ball in the basket.

He was 19th PPG per 100 possessions last year among qualified starters. He’s 26h this year. He’s a pretty damn good scorer. Adding in his rebounding, passing, and defense, and I think there’s a pretty strong case that he’s among the NBA’s elite.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:51 pm 

Right now my top 10 in order, just off the cuff

1. LeBron
2. Kawhi
3. Giannis
4.) Durant
5.) Curry
6.) Harden
7.) Anthony Davis
8.) Ben Simmons
9.) Westbrook
10.) Nikola Jokic

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:50 pm 

I would not put Jokic ahead, and I need to see more Simmons. Westbrook is probably ahead. Can't blame this year's issues on him while Carmelo is sinking the ship.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:05 am 

I know I’m jumping the gun on Simmons and Jokic a bit but I’m fine with it. They are awesome. A better rebounding, 40% 3 point shooting Vlade Divac is gonna be an absolute matchup nightmare for teams going forward.

Simmons early works speaks for itself. When he learns how to score it’s game over for the Eastern Conference.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:40 am 

IMU wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:
IMU wrote:

Jimmy Butler does more for his team when he is on the court than almost the entire NBA. Lebron, Kawhi, Giannis and maybe a couple of others can claim to do more. But there aren't 10 that can.

Jimmy Butler shoots 44% for his career and about 33% from three. His ppg avg compared to his usage rate was greatly enhanced by his ability to get to the line. He is good at that. Or was. His rebounding per game isn't outstanding for a 3 man either. It's about avg or below avg. His defense has slipped over the past 3 seasons too. Just look at his rating.

Minnesota's improvement is not due solely to him either. Their improvement hasn't been particularly great either. They are 1 game over .500 in their past 21 games and have played a weak schedule.

I honestly think they won't finish above .500 this season. I've watched them quite a bit this season and am convinced I was wrong about them. They aren't that impressive. I had them at 45 wins but I'm convinced they won't get there.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:46 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Right now my top 10 in order, just off the cuff

1. LeBron
2. Kawhi
3. Giannis
4.) Durant
5.) Curry
6.) Harden
7.) Anthony Davis
8.) Ben Simmons
9.) Westbrook
10.) Nikola Jokic

This is a terrible list.

Kyrie Irving is no doubt better than Jimmy Butler, Ben Simmons, or Nikola Jokic. So is Demarcus Cousins. I'm a Simmons fan but he isn't better than Embiid right now.

Joel Embiid is better than Butler and I'd still take Paul George over him as well.

This is a terrible list. There are other guys better as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:49 am 

IMU wrote:

Yet he will fail to make an All Star or All NBA team and whenever he is matched up with other top players he is routinely outclassed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:19 am 

FavreFan wrote:
storkinastorm wrote:

He was 19th PPG per 100 possessions last year among qualified starters. He’s 26h this year. He’s a pretty damn good scorer. Adding in his rebounding, passing, and defense, and I think there’s a pretty strong case that he’s among the NBA’s elite.

He is currently ranked 27th in scoring. This despite being among the league leaders in minutes. He is currently behind guys like Tyreke Evans. That's not the work of a "pretty damn good scorer".

Look at some of the names currently on this list that are ahead of Butler.

http://m.espn.com/nba/leagueleaders?src=desktop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:01 am 

LTG being LTG. He is ahead of Evans on the link you yourself provided.

So your only (and poor) argument is PPG, as always.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 49  Next