It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:58 am 

long time guy wrote:
A couple of waiver wire pickups away from being really scary.

Yep. Not exactly a waiver wire pickup but this move might have just elevated them into Championship contention.

Reports: Sixers Acquire Tobias Harris From Clippers, Adding Fourth All-Star Caliber Player

MAX MEYER February 6, 2019
A Los Angeles basketball team has made a major trade as we approach the deadline. But it wasn’t the Lakers.

The Clippers have agreed to trade Tobias Harris, Boban Marjanovic and Mike Scott to the 76ers for Landry Shamet, Wilson Chandler, Mike Muscala, a 2020 first-round pick, a 2021 unprotected first-round pick (via the Heat) and two second-round picks (2021 and 2023), which was first reported by ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

Philadelphia is going all-in with this move, as Harris is averaging a career-high 20.7 PPG, but is an unrestricted free agent after the season. The seven-year pro now joins a potent starting five along with Ben Simmons, JJ Redick, Jimmy Butler and Joel Embiid.

On the other end, the Clippers stockpiled some quality assets for a potential rental, especially the unprotected Miami first-round pick.

Here’s hoping we get more blockbusters to shake up the league before Thursday’s deadline passes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I like the move by Philly because it could make the playoffs more entertaining but it was a pretty dumb move. If they don't make the Finals this year and don't bring back Harris and Butler they're pretty fucked.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:49 am 

FavreFan wrote:
I like the move by Philly because it could make the playoffs more entertaining but it was a pretty dumb move. If they don't make the Finals this year and don't bring back Harris and Butler they're pretty fucked.

This is a helluva move for Philly. Places them squarely in title contention right now. They can now compete with G.S.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I think it is more likely Tobias resigns than Butler. But the team is definitely stacked up enough to get through the East now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
GS will slaughter this team if they even make it to the finals. Embiid and Butler are bitches.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:33 am 

IMU wrote:
I think it is more likely Tobias resigns than Butler. But the team is definitely stacked up enough to get through the East now.

i agree with you. I think this signals the end of Butler in Philly. Harris is younger and more than likely cheaper. Butler doesn't quite fit with what they are trying to do over there. Harris is the smarter play because he probably will be the better player going forward.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
veganfan21 wrote:
GS will slaughter this team if they even make it to the finals. Embiid and Butler are bitches.

Embiid and Butler are probably the most antibitches in the entire league. Bulldogs, the both of them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:37 am 

IMU wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Embiid and Butler are probably the most antibitches in the entire league. Bulldogs, the both of them.

Embiid should stop taking nights off defensively if they want to contend.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
not seeing this trade working out. Not enough basketballs on the court to appease Butler and Embid as it is, now you add another high level scorer to the mix? And basically give them 20 games (a good guess as to the number of games all 5 starters will be in the lineup the rest of the season) to figure it out before the playoffs. This has epic fail written all over it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:43 am 

Philly's team is stacked with guys that get after it. Even McConnell is a bulldog but he just isn't all that talented. I think that they are beginning to find out that they can't count on Butler and they are providing insurance during the games (like last night) in which he absolutely sells their ass out. 2 out of the last 3 he has been a no show.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:44 am 

This reminds me of 80's NBA basketball. They have 5 scoring options in their starting lineup now. You now have to man up on everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
long time guy wrote:
This reminds me of 80's NBA basketball. They have 5 scoring options in their starting lineup now. You now have to man up on everyone.

it's reminding you of the 82-83 team

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:40 am 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
long time guy wrote:

it's reminding you of the 82-83 team

Yeah that was best one year wonder team that I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Really love this trade for both teams. Harris is a good backup option if Jimmy doesn't stay, but Woj says Philly is trying to keep both and that would be a scary team for the future of the east. This will make it even more difficult for teams to game plan around daring Simmons to beat them in the playoffs. The other pieces they get back also upgrade their bench, which was clearly their weakest area. Boban can provide some relief to Embiid.

From the Clippers perspective, you get an overpay in return for Harris and that Miami pick could end up being really good. This also increases the odds that Philadelphia beats Toronto, making it more likely that Kawhi is available to you, and gives them the ability to move Gallinari's contract and open up even more cap space. Likewise, they keep their pick if they miss the playoffs, which would screw over one of Boston's assets if they want to make a run at Davis in the offseason while putting themselves in the mix (and the Celtics are further screwed if the Kings are the team to benefit from the Clippers tanking, as that makes another one of their picks worse).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:49 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Really love this trade for both teams. Harris is a good backup option if Jimmy doesn't stay, but Woj says Philly is trying to keep both and that would be a scary team for the future of the east. This will make it even more difficult for teams to game plan around daring Simmons to beat them in the playoffs. The other pieces they get back also upgrade their bench, which was clearly their weakest area. Boban can provide some relief to Embiid.

From the Clippers perspective, you get an overpay in return for Harris and that Miami pick could end up being really good. This also increases the odds that Philadelphia beats Toronto, making it more likely that Kawhi is available to you, and gives them the ability to move Gallinari's contract and open up even more cap space. Likewise, they keep their pick if they miss the playoffs, which would screw over one of Boston's assets if they want to make a run at Davis in the offseason while putting themselves in the mix (and the Celtics are further screwed if the Kings are the team to benefit from the Clippers tanking, as that makes another one of their picks worse).

I haven't followed it all that closely but even if they somehow win the title I can't see Kawhi staying in Toronto.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:03 pm 

Philly also has Zaire Smith and Fultz plus Minnesota's first rounder Patton waiting in the wings. They still have Young guys to surround around their core going forward and I think they picked up a first in the Bridges to Phoenix draft day deal. The Miami pick may come back to haunt them but that is only if it turns out to be a top 3. Even then if its a weak draft it won't matter as much.

Harris is young enough to be considered part of their future. They just put the league on notice that they are going for it this year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:06 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Philly also has Zaire Smith and Fultz plus Minnesota's first rounder Patton waiting in the wings. They still have Young guys to surround around their core going forward and I think they picked up a first in the Bridges to Phoenix draft day deal. The Miami pick may come back to haunt them but that is only if it turns out to be a top 3. Even then if its a weak draft it won't matter as much.

Harris is young enough to be considered part of their future. They just put the league on notice that they are going for it this year.

The Miami pick is what they got in the Bridges/Zhaire deal

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:20 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

The Miami pick is what they got in the Bridges/Zhaire deal

Ok well they should still have their own. If the draft is crappy in 21 like this year's it won't hurt as much. Miami should still have a competitive team in two years. Riley isn't really the tanking type. The beauty of this deal is that Harris is only 26 or 27. He is still young enough to be good for about 4 or 5 more years. You have to strike while the iron is hot. There really isn't a downside to this trade barring injury.

Elton Brand has made two solid deals this year. He has corrected the mistakes made by that idiot Colangelo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:28 pm 

long time guy wrote:
There really isn't a downside to this trade barring injury.

That's not true at all. If they don't make the Finals and Butler and Harris leave after this season the trade would go down as an unmitigated disaster. If they lock up both players this offseason it's a tremendous trade. There's a lot of risk to it though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:40 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
There really isn't a downside to this trade barring injury.

That's not true at all. If they don't make the Finals and Butler and Harris leave after this season the trade would go down as an unmitigated disaster. If they lock up both players this offseason it's a tremendous trade. There's a lot of risk to it though.

Yeah but you have to go for it if you are close. They are close. I don't see Harris signing anywhere else if he wants to really get paid. I can see Butler doing it however. I don't think he likes it in Philly. His body language during games is terrible. Doesn't interact much with his teammates. I think he wants to be the man (always thought that) and that isn't going to happen with Embiid and Simmons. His best chance to win (which he always claims) is in Philly but him as an Alpha ain't going to happen.

They also don't need to sign both for this trade to work. They only need to sign the guy involved in the actual trade. If Harris is only a 20 game rental then it there is a downside to it. SO yeah I wrong in that regard but I already have Harris resigning

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:48 pm 

Also doubt if they are done either. They will probably pick up a guy or two off the Waiver wire. They have a few guys that can be cut i.e. Amir and a few of the bums who were out there last night.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:56 pm 

long time guy wrote:

Yeah, now every good team is reminiscent of the Doug Moe Nuggets.

And I really thought I'd ever see that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:11 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Westhead and Moe were the two main culprits with that as I remember. The Pistons used to roll like that Pre Chuck Daly. Guys just going up and down chucking. There were more scoring options on the better teams. That is what I miss.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:14 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Westhead and Moe were the two main culprits with that as I remember. The Pistons used to roll like that Pre Chuck Daly. Guys just going up and down chucking. There were more scoring options on the better teams. That is what I miss.

Don Nelson always tried both at Milwaukee and Oakland but could never get over the hump. Maybe even Hubie when he had the BK Broiler. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:21 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Don Nelson always tried both at Milwaukee and Oakland but could never get over the hump. Maybe even Hubie when he had the BK Broiler. :lol:

Yeah he did with his Nellie ball. Milwaukee was one of my favorite teams too. Marques Johnson was vastly underrated to me and Moncrief, Pierce, Pressey, Lanier then Sikma. They just happened to be playing in a league that was loaded at the time. They had talent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:25 pm 

Hubie Brown hit it last night. Don Nelson was a generation too soon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:39 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Best starting lineup in the East, awful bench though. I think they can take the East though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:22 pm 

312player wrote:
Best starting lineup in the East, awful bench though. I think they can take the East though.

quietly they are adding to it. Scott and Simmons are very good additions. They have to find a backup for Simmons at the 1. McConnell ain't going to cut it in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:34 pm 

long time guy wrote:
312player wrote:

quietly they are adding to it. Scott and Simmons are very good additions. They have to find a backup for Simmons at the 1. McConnell ain't going to cut it in the playoffs.

Yeah.. McConnell is a try hard guy( admirable) but he just don't belong on an NBA bench.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:35 pm 

Elton Brand should be executive of the year btw

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next