It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: NBA Playoff Thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:45 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Paul George has really tightened his handle up. He has the ball on a string these days.

Still doesn’t have that killer instinct. We don’t disagree on his talent but that lack of alpha mentality has to bother you a bit. He has all the pieces.

The "Alpha" thing is really messageboard claptrap with a lot of players. He is one of them. He was the best player on a team that took the Vaunted Heat team to Game 7 in a Conference Finals. Guarded LeBron the entire series and didn't really blink until Game 7.

Gutless players don't do that. He isn't a particular emotional and demonstrative guy on the floor and sometimes that sort of thing is misread. I've never thought he was a scary player though. He competes and gets after it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Agree he’s not demonstrative and emotional. He’s a very passive great player.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:48 pm 

RFDC wrote:
If this is Luka struggling then I sure hope the bulls can find someone to struggle like that

11 Turnovers in any game is terrible. He struggled early but he picked it after the first quarter. He played well overall though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:51 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

He was i believe 3rd in MVP voting just last season. Guys like that aren't really considered passive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:52 pm 

3 out of 4 games were very good. Not bad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:00 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

He was i believe 3rd in MVP voting just last season. Guys like that aren't really considered passive.

5 points and 6 turnovers in Game 6 of rookie Donovan Mitchell eliminating him from the playoffs in 2018

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
42 points in playoff debut...pretty damn good

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:06 am 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

5 points and 6 turnovers in Game 6 of rookie Donovan Mitchell eliminating him from the playoffs in 2018

Kawhi Leonard told the Clippers that he wasn't coming unless Paul George came. Lebron James tried desperately to swing him with the Lakers. Tim Legler just referred to him as a,"pressure player". The guy is a stud and has been for awhile. He had a bad game. It happens and never forget he was playing alongside one of the more selfish and undisciplined great players in NBA history.

He has carried a mediocre team to the Conf Finals before and just last season he was No. 3 in MVP voting. He was the deciding factor in the game tonight too. Guy is a killer.

I know you had guys like Jimmy Butler and Oladipo over him. I know yoi want to make good on that one. No one besides you thinks that either is better. It might be best to take the L and move on from that one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
Guess defense isn't played in the NBA anymore....a period toward the end of the half in the Denver / Utah game very reminiscent of a game at the Y

I don't think it's as simple as saying there's no defense in the NBA. I believe playing in the bubble without travel fatigue, no fans screaming, tiny arena's without large backdrops...all of that has combined to make shooting much easier for players which has led to more efficient offense.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:54 am 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
With the way they were going, plus Luka's brief injury, they would have fell behind much more than they did ealier this game. The neutrality of the courts is making the games more competitive. I miss the crowds but like the neutrality.

I can’t even tell when you’re being serious with nba posts anymore. Best I can tell it’s like 95/5 trolling/sincere

he's right. Court neutrality is definitely making the games more competitive and giving the underdogs a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:57 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Doncic spent too much time yelling at Curry for taking that three on a 3-1 fast break that he forgot about covering Morris on that wide open 3 point shot :lol: :lol:

No doubt but also the play before Tim Hardaway tried to go hero ball into a turnover. Before those two possessions the Mavs were right in it and Luka was in control. His frustration there was palpable and justified.

yea I don't blame Luka at all. 2 straight possessions with under 1:30 left in the game and he doesn't touch the ball? Name another all world player who wouldn't be pissed about that as well? Unless you are on a breakaway the ball should be given to Luka on EVERY offensive possession at that stage of the game.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
In today's Amy Lawrence CBS/Radio.com Sports Minute, she talked about how great the first games of NBA playoffs were last night, and said they were "worth the wait." Ok Amy, the games might have been very good or even great, but worth the wait?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Marie's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
In today's Amy Lawrence CBS/Radio.com Sports Minute, she talked about how great the first games of NBA playoffs were last night, and said they were "worth the wait." Ok Amy, the games might have been very good or even great, but worth the wait?

Hardly great. I don't get the hot takes of the day to call everything great or an "instant classic". It was a fairly blah day of NBA playoff basketball.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Phil Leotardo wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

Hardly great. I don't get the hot takes of the day to call everything great or an "instant classic". It was a fairly blah day of NBA playoff basketball.

But another thrilling day of Phil Leotardo posts on CFMB

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:57 pm 

Orlanso is putting up a great deal of fight this game.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:05 pm 

What the hell?

I didn't even think to put this game on in the middle of a workday as I assumed it would be a snoozefest. Props to Orlando

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:24 pm 

Walling up on Giannis and daring the others to beat them and thus far they haven't been able to do it. For an Elite team Milwaukee's overall talent is quite underwhelming. When Khris Middleton is your 2nd best player you definitely don't have top end talent.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:09 pm 

#1 seeds to lose by double digits to a #8 seed in Game 1:

1998 Jazz (won series 3-2)
1999 Heat (lost 3-2)
2007 Mavericks (lost 4-2)
2020 Bucks (???)

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:27 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
I love Jimmy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Nardi wrote:
I love Jimmy.

+1

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:56 pm 

Love OKC's strategy on those Harden step back 3's. Wish more would do it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
shakes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
With the way they were going, plus Luka's brief injury, they would have fell behind much more than they did ealier this game. The neutrality of the courts is making the games more competitive. I miss the crowds but like the neutrality.

I can’t even tell when you’re being serious with nba posts anymore. Best I can tell it’s like 95/5 trolling/sincere

he's right. Court neutrality is definitely making the games more competitive and giving the underdogs a chance.

That's right, Shakes. FF still hasn't waken up from his quarantine slumber. It's no surprise on this list that the top 5 teams all play in the west coast, with the ones with noted altitude issues (Utah and Denver) comprising the top 2. This is a quick analysis from a betting angle on which teams have the best chance at home.

https://www.boydsbets.com/nba-home-court-advantage/Q

Also, we already know about the importance of circadian rhythms for all professional sports leagues, and how it's harder to win when flying west than it is flying east.

I'll post it here for FF's edification: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 133619.htm

And again from the first list we already know 6 out of the top 10 home court advantage teams from one sample size play in the west.

Here's a more scientific article on whether or not air altitude gives home teams in high altitudes an advantage over visiting team. The cliff notes version of this is as follows: yes, it does.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... tcomes.pdf

Finally, here's an independent analysis of home court advantage. Trends are changing but more or less what he's saying is well-known, even if we can quibble about the exact numbers:

Several compelling data points support the hypothesis that a large portion of the home edge is due to officiating bias in favor of the home team in the form of subjective calls.

For example, in basketball, the number of fouls charged to a team – and consequently the number of free throws awarded – are subject to referee bias. I analyzed the data from the 2018-19 NBA season and found that the home team is awarded on average approximately 0.8 more free throws, or 0.6 points per game.

Given that the home court advantage in the NBA was approximately 2.7 points last year, these extra shots from the charity line account for approximately 22% of the home edge. Other subjective violations, such as traveling, also break in favor of the home team, with visiting teams being whistled for about half a violation more each game. This is essentially one-half less possession, which is worth approximately another 0.6 points, explaining another sizable part of the home edge.

https://www.snopes.com/news/2019/11/01/ ... e-decline/

So, in the end, home court matters, and since it doesn't exist in the bubble, the games are of a different quality.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:13 pm 

Ignoring the DiCaro grammar, the bolded part is what I was referring to. I never said there wasn't more neutrality, but you tend to phrase your posts as facts when it's basically you just guessing about would have happened in a hypothetical game that will never happen. Sure the Mavs might have gotten blown out, or maybe they end up winning the game. Or do upsets not happen in this hypothetical universe you've created in which you know everything that will happen?

shakes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:18 pm 

If the Rockets were at their home court they would be up by 40 instead of 17.

-veganfan, probably

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:21 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Ignoring the DiCaro grammar, the bolded part is what I was referring to. I never said there wasn't more neutrality, but you tend to phrase your posts as facts when it's basically you just guessing about would have happened in a hypothetical game that will never happen. Sure the Mavs might have gotten blown out, or maybe they end up winning the game. Or do upsets not happen in this hypothetical universe you've created in which you know everything that will happen?

shakes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

:lol: Okay if you want to be pedantic, it's my spelling you're referring to, not my grammar. That aside, do you mean to say you'd feel better if I threw in the word "probably"? Is that all we're talking about? :lol: Of course it's impossible to speak factually about a hypothetical. I speculate you have no real good reason for calling me out and that's why you're making up this whole "you phrase your posts as facts" thing when people tend to give someone the benefit of the doubt on these things. If I were to say Luka is "on fire" in a post, would you demand that I include "metaphorically" after it?

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:24 pm 

OKC has played like shit since they beat the Lakers a few weeks back.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:30 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
If the Rockets were at their home court they would be up by 40 instead of 17.

-veganfan, probably

Lines from A Few Good Men, re-done to fit FF's requirements for speech:

Quote:
You cant handle the truth, in my humble opinion! Son - a term I use endearingly, not factually - we live in a world that has walls, figuratively speaking, and those have to be guarded by men with guns, in many cases. Whose gonna do it you, you lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You seem to weep for Santiago, and you curse the Marines, in all likelihood. You presumably have that luxury, you have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that Santiago's death while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence while grotesque and incomprehensible, to you, probably saves lives. You probably don't want the truth because deep down in places you talk about parties; you from what I can tell want me on that wall, you most likely need me on that wall!

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:36 pm 

long time guy wrote:
OKC has played like shit since they beat the Lakers a few weeks back.

Yea this has certainly been disappointing so far

Barkley took the Thunder to win the series in the pregame :lol:

Still, I can see Rockets going cold and letting OKC back in it in the second half

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:38 pm 

It's going to be really weird seeing a team clinch the final series in front of..nobody, really.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:41 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
It's going to be really weird seeing a team clinch the final series in front of..nobody, really.

Yea

The NBA fake fans are even creepier than the baseball ones

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next