It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:43 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
RFDC wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
I've said it before...if Irving and Love are on the court a ton, the Cavs defense will struggle. They kept pace in the Finals last year by keeping a great defensive team on the floor (say what you will about Delly but he abused Curry on D at times) plus Shumpert played out of his mind offensively to compliment his D. J.R. Smith also played well...they will now try and match up offensively with the Warriors. It could go sideways quickly.

Didn't you also say that OKC was going to beat GS?

No, KS.

Huh, DT?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
it is pretty obvious that Irving's skills are equal if not better than Curry's. And it's on a hobbled leg no less. You can decide for yourself.

To bring up stats when it's not warranted is the ridiculous part.

:lol:

You are talking about them like they are 19 year old prospects. Both are veteran all stars. If Kyrie Irving's skill set produces the stats I laid out, then it's not close to Steph's skill set. No matter how you want to spin this, you are wrong.

Just hilarious how quick you were to shoot down all the stats that show just how fucking dumb your opinion on this is.

I conceded the shooting stuff in the beginning so you are sort of preaching to the choir. Irvings stats will always be suppressed he plays with LeBron James. He has has explosive games during his career.

You stated "eye test" too. Well I just provided it and you immediately dismissed it as you did the opinions of experts, 3 of which also played the same position. That's how dumb you opinion is on this.

So Irving is as good as Steph, but the stats don't show it, and never will show it, but everyone should just accept it as true, even though all the quantifiable evidence suggests it is not true. Ok. Good talk.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:02 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
it is pretty obvious that Irving's skills are equal if not better than Curry's. And it's on a hobbled leg no less. You can decide for yourself.

You are talking about them like they are 19 year old prospects. Both are veteran all stars. If Kyrie Irving's skill set produces the stats I laid out, then it's not close to Steph's skill set. No matter how you want to spin this, you are wrong.

Just hilarious how quick you were to shoot down all the stats that show just how fucking dumb your opinion on this is.

I conceded the shooting stuff in the beginning so you are sort of preaching to the choir. Irvings stats will always be suppressed he plays with LeBron James. He has has explosive games during his career.

You stated "eye test" too. Well I just provided it and you immediately dismissed it as you did the opinions of experts, 3 of which also played the same position. That's how dumb you opinion is on this.

So Irving is as good as Steph, but the stats don't show it, and never will show it, but everyone should just accept it as true, even though all the quantifiable evidence suggests it is not true. Ok. Good talk.

Once again "skill set". In order to do that you first have to be able to break down a guy's game I know it's difficult when every debate begins and ends with a data report.

It's that same sort of data report which led you to think that OKC had no chance against G.S., or S.A. for that matter. You saw an 18 win difference and immediately dismissed the prospect. That alone demonstrates that you are not really a good judge of talent or ability. Good talk indeed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:17 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Quote:
Irvings stats will always be suppressed he plays with LeBron James.

idk, James wants to be Magic Johnson with the triple doubles, i mean in that Raptors game they lost didn't he take like 1 FG in the last 5 minutes ?

and Curry plays with Klay....and you know, like 8 million other people who shoot 3's all day but his stats aren't suppressed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:33 am 

Bagels wrote:
Quote:

idk, James wants to be Magic Johnson with the triple doubles, i mean in that Raptors game they lost didn't he take like 1 FG in the last 5 minutes ?

and Curry plays with Klay....and you know, like 8 million other people who shoot 3's all day but his stats aren't suppressed

You have fallen the Magic Johnson myth? Going into this season Lebron's avg shots per game was higher than Kobe Bryant's. For his career

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:40 am 

long time guy wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Quote:

You have fallen the Magic Johnson myth? Going into this season Lebron's avg shots per game was higher than Kobe Bryant's. For his career

Irving had more FG attempts than James in every single game of the Raptors series but 1, in which they both had the same amount. Including his 3-19 game

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:55 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
City of Fools wrote:
I've said it before...if Irving and Love are on the court a ton, the Cavs defense will struggle. They kept pace in the Finals last year by keeping a great defensive team on the floor (say what you will about Delly but he abused Curry on D at times) plus Shumpert played out of his mind offensively to compliment his D. J.R. Smith also played well...they will now try and match up offensively with the Warriors. It could go sideways quickly.

Irving and Love are yooge liabilities on the defensive end--relatively speaking. Kevin Love has even said he doesn't close out on perimeter shooters b/c he's thinking and moving to grab rebounds.

Irving would've been more of a liability against Westbrook--or Westbrook's game would've taken more advantage of Kyrie's lackadaisical approach to defense.

last year CAVS did not have Love's offense. this year they have Love/James/Smith to provide most of the offense. if Curry starts going off on Irving/whomever the Cavs run at him from the starters, we'll probably see more of this this series than we'd like to:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:03 am 

Bagels wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Quote:

Irving had more FG attempts than James in every single game of the Raptors series but 1, in which they both had the same amount. Including his 3-19 game

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... FcSC1JynQw

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... 4yAikkYaIA

Look at their career numbers. Irving averages more points per game at similar stages of their career. For all we know this year may be an outlier for Curry.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:04 am 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

The stats actually do show after 5 yrs. Irving has him beat.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... FcSC1JynQw

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=w ... 4yAikkYaIA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:05 am 

So ltg, is Irving going to dominate Curry this series?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:08 am 

long time guy wrote:

Look at their career numbers. Irving averages more points per game at similar stages of their career. For all we know this year may be an outlier for Curry.

yeah and Curry for his career is shooting a better overall %, and a FAR better 3PT % overall
yea, an outlier :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:11 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
So ltg, is Irving going to dominate Curry this series?

If they match up I have him to definitely outplay him.

Something tells me they will put Thompson on Irving but if they put Curry on Irving and vice versa Irving on Curry (which I expect) then Irving will get the better of the matchup. They have to guard each other. If there is cross matching then all bets are off.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
All I know is that I want LTG to be proven right in this argument.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:23 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
All I know is that I want LTG to be proven right in this argument.

Got this one covered.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
RFDC wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Didn't you also say that OKC was going to beat GS?

I said they had the better shot. I'll stand by that. They got beat so I was wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I've grown tired of the Warriors. But Westbrook and Durant had their chance, so I'm rooting for the Warriors to beat the Cavs. I can certainly root for LeBron to lose.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:32 pm 

NBA.com stats / tracking area tracks scoring on drives. you have to fiddle with their filters to get regular season numbers and filter out
the guys playing 1 minute a game but scoring on their 1 drive per game etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:35 pm 

re: Kyrie Irving's offensive number +/- being negatively impacted by being the 3rd or 4th scoring option any time he's on the floor:

yeah, Kyrie's taking shots, but when in the shot clock and what quality of shots?
I was thinking that if you're playing with Lebron/ Love / JR Smith, 9 times out of 10 down the floor, the play
is run for one of those 3. so that if/when you [Kyrie Irving] as the 4th option on offense do take a shot--it probably wasn't
by design, and probably was with the clock running down coming out of a busted play called for one of the other 3.

what do Love/SMith do when LeBron kicks out to them on a drive and the defense gets to them before they can get a shot up? Kick it back out to your point guard. Who now has to
improvise a play with the clock running down.

Westbrook/Curry are either 1 or 2 option when on the floor. Yeah, Curry has to shoot with the clock running down on a busted play [and he's fucking great at it]. but Curry's also getting the majority of
offensive sets called by the Warriors run for him to get a shot.

Draymond getting an expanded role as a passer under Kerr seems to have helped Curry and Thompson excel to insane shooting heights under Kerr. Iguodala's also decent at dishing out assists.

Last edited by Hussra on Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:42 pm 

You think they run more plays for JR than Kyrie?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:46 pm 

try again. No one said that. I said they run the majority of plays--vast majority, for Lebron/Love/JR. and JR and Love are there for LeBron to pass to off of his drives. so any play for Lebron...can end up being a play for Love / Smith--and that's by design. it's why LeBron like playing with Mike Miller and Ray Allen in Miami. And why he wanted guys like Love and Smith on the court with him in Cleveland, Part II Electric Dellavedova; Kyrie's job becomes to be the chas of the team--garbage collector.

Last edited by Hussra on Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:51 pm 

:lol: You just said it again.

If 9 out of 10 plays they run are designed for Bron/Love/JR, how does that leave room for them to run more plays for Kyrie than JR?

But this is all nonsense anyway. They use Kyrie a lot. He's very good.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:56 pm 

i didn't say 9 out of 10 the 2nd time, i made it asshole proof by saying "majority of plays"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:58 pm 

Hussra wrote:
If it'll make you sleep better tonight, I'll change it to 7 out of 10.

the exact number is far from the point. but you know that. :)

This shouldn't be a beef between us anyway. I think you and long time guy should talk and figure out if Kyrie is better than Steph Curry or if he's if the 4th best offensive player on the Cavs, and then all three of us can figure out where he's actually at.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:03 am 

what? you think the guy who says repeatedly that there's no need for conversation about Steph Curry being the greatest shooter ever and who posted stats noting that Steph Curry's a more efficient scorer on his drives to the basket than Irving thinks Irving's a better offensive player than Curry? You on drugs?

If so, can I have some?

Just pointing out that while all shot attempts might be equal on the stat sheet, not all shot attempts are of equal kowality during the game.

and naturally instead of addressing the main point--all shots are equal, but some shots are more equal than others--you're admitting defeat by seizing on a common cliched expression of approximate statification and holding it up as the crux of the discussion. weak, like ukraine.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:12 am 

Of course I'm on drugs. You new here? I was just fucking with you anyway.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:42 am 

It will become apparent who has the more complete offensive skill set. Once you see the number of screens that they have to run for Curry as opposed to what Cleveland does for Irving it will become obvious. There is no way that Curry has the off the dribble game that Irving has. Irving isn't exactly chopped liver as a 3 point shooter either. He has shot about 38-39 % for his career. Off the bounce he is simply much better than Curry. For their career there is a 2% difference in their shooting percentage also. Watch the number of down screens and stagger doubles that G.S will run for Curry during the course of this series. He can score off the dribble but he typically won't wear a team out with that. He needs picks and a lot of them. If not picks then run outs where he is wide open.

He also isn't a 4th option on Cleveland's team. He is their best offensive player to be honest. Irving consistently breaks guys down off the dribble and if G.S tries to guard him with Curry for much of this series he is going to murder him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:56 am 

long time guy wrote:
It will become apparent who has the more complete offensive skill set. Once you see the number of screens that they have to run for Curry as opposed to what Cleveland does for Irving it will become obvious. Curry doesn't have the off the dribble game that Irving has. Irving isn't exactly chopped liver as a 3 point shooter either. He has shot about 38-39 % for his career. Off the bounce he is simply much better than Curry. For their career there is a 2% difference in their shooting percentage also. Watch the number of down screens and stagger doubles that G.S will run for Curry during the course of this series. He can score off the dribble but he typically won't wear a team out with that. He needs picks and a lot of them. If not picks then run outs where he is wide open.

He also isn't a 4th option on Cleveland's team. He is their best offensive player to be honest. Irving consistently breaks guys down off the dribble and if G.S tries to guard him with Curry for much of this series he is going to murder him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:12 am 

long time guy wrote:
It will become apparent who has the more complete offensive skill set. Once you see the number of screens that they have to run for Curry as opposed to what Cleveland does for Irving it will become obvious. There is no way that Curry has the off the dribble game that Irving has. Irving isn't exactly chopped liver as a 3 point shooter either. He has shot about 38-39 % for his career. Off the bounce he is simply much better than Curry. For their career there is a 2% difference in their shooting percentage also. Watch the number of down screens and stagger doubles that G.S will run for Curry during the course of this series. He can score off the dribble but he typically won't wear a team out with that. He needs picks and a lot of them. If not picks then run outs where he is wide open.

how convenient of you to point out their career FG% is close, but miss pointing out that Curry's 3PT shooting is drastically better (.444 vs. 378) and with the volume of 3's he's taking (3590 vs. 1446 for Irving) for him to STILL be better with overall FG% is big
And did you seriously just say that Curry doesn't have an off the dribble game ? He breaks people down all the time

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:23 am 

Bagels wrote:
long time guy wrote:

how convenient of you to point out their career FG% is close, but miss pointing out that Curry's 3PT shooting is drastically better (.444 vs. 378) and with the volume of 3's he's taking (3590 vs. 1446 for Irving) for him to STILL be better with overall FG% is big
And did you seriously just say that Curry doesn't have an off the dribble game ? He breaks people down all the time

He is not in Irving's class as an off the drbible player. He needs a lot of picks. Irving doesn't. Curry has an off the dribble game but he is not as good as Irving. Just like Irving can shoot but he isn't in Curry's class as a shooter. If they guard each other, Irving will get the better of the matchup.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
as I had time to think about this it will go 7 and we will see who is the better coach James or Kerr

I'm out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next