It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
So Durant took less money because he wanted to win? How does that make him a bad guy?

He could've won in OKC. OKC with Durant was probably the more talented team.

They didn't win a single game against Golden State in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Of course I'm taking this personally. I'm watching water tanks on a frac site on the west end of ND during July 4th and my wife is sending me pictures of shrimp she just grilled. I'm not a happy camper. C'est le vie? I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:02 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
long time guy wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
The guy signed where he wanted to. He thought GS had a better chance to give him a title than OKC. Idk if you followed OKC throughout the season, but they didn't get their shit together until right before the playoffs.

You are over valuing the likes of Dion Waiters, Andre Roberson, and Steven Adams.

Idk why I'm even typing this. I truly don't want to have a debate with you. It's the 4th of July, and I'm working. That's punishment enough.

Thats the thing though. He himself is the reason ( or a large part of) that his team didn't beat GS. He and the rest of his team choked. A team he's the supposed leader of. Also sorry, but he's a complete hypocrite with his previous tweets that have been exposed about others joining super teams and giving up trying to win with their teams. He's a spineless fraud.

Yep. A true competitor would be ashamed of his role in the collapse and make it his goal to beat them.

It's interesting when people try to compare new guys to people like Isaiah and Jordan. Isaiah had to beat both Boston and L.A. in order to win. Detroit wasn't shit when he was drafted. He learned about how to win and made it a point to beat Boston and L.A. when the Bad Boy thing was on its last legs, he vetoed a trade to the Knicks because he didn't wanted to abandon the Pistons. That's a competitor. Same with Jordan. He found a way to beat the Pistons.

I wish dude the best but the perception of him will undoubtedly change.

Where is this book on the steps to be an elite competitor?

You are too much of a purist in this evaluation. Holding on to the past so tightly, and running your basketball opinions through that filter is silly to me. It's not 1985 anymore. I'm sorry, but I just get dismissive when I see posts about how the game was.

Durant had these same views and he wasn't born in 85. Also being a competitor transcends eras too. It doesn't change because it isn't 85. It's foolish to think so. That is why I don't overrate guys like Steph Curry and Kevin Durant because no matter how good you may think they are, I always know that I have seen a number of guys that are both better and more competitive.

Last edited by long time guy on Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Jbi11s wrote:
Of course I'm taking this personally. I'm watching water tanks on a frac site on the west end of ND during July 4th and my wife is sending me pictures of shrimp she just grilled. I'm not a happy camper. C'est le vie? I think.

Could be worse...you could be in the desert watching out for terrorists

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:08 pm 

Yes, but your definition of being a competitor isn't necessarily THE definition. Obviously, KD wanted to win some rings. Why fault him for that?

Yes, he deserves shit talking for that tweet back in the day. Questioning his pride and competitive nature is just reaching to me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Durant can sign wherever he wants. But hey, burn his jersey and you can make it on the news. The NBA seems to have little issue with these mega teams. They also seem to not care that 90% of the teams have no chance of winning the championship. That said, I don't understand how fans put up with it. I enjoy watching the playoffs, but I'm not going to pay to see the Bulls play. The only game(s) I'd probably pay for is the game(s) against Golden State. Yet, the UC will be packed for most games. Personally, I'm not sure how you can consider yourself a professional league when you have a "1%" concept going for teams.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Jbi11s wrote:

I just don't get why you guys are taking this so personally. I don't think anyone here is an OKC fan above all else.

You guys are acting like he's dating your daughter or something.

It's not that serious. It's sports. The Bulls won't be good again until the Warriors era is almost finished anyway. Knee jerk hatred is a Chicago specialty, but I just don't understand it here.

Knee jerk hatred is always justified in sports if it's a guy not playing on your team. As you said, it's not the serious, so why does it bother you that there's this kind of blowback?

You're sounding a bit like all the Grantland and NBA Twitter blowhards who were shocked, just shocked that people who weren't fans of the Heat would ever root against Lebron. This move is in the same class as that one, so similar disdain shouldn't be shocking. I'd note that at least the Heat fans seemed to embrace playing the villain, while the Golden State fans I've read today are being hyper defensive; I guess 2 seasons worth of bullshit about how humble Steph is ( :lol: ) and blather about how they're built "the right way" didn't adequately prepare them for the metric ton of hatred that's going to be coming their way next season.

If you want the more cosmopolitan answer though, I find the league substantially less interesting when there are moves that reduce competitive balance. I enjoy close games and series, and would much prefer to consume those than be lectured all season about how I should just Appreciate Greatness in the course of blowouts.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:14 pm 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Durant can sign wherever he wants. But hey, burn his jersey and you can make it on the news. The NBA seems to have little issue with these mega teams. They also seem to not care that 90% of the teams have no chance of winning the championship. That said, I don't understand how fans put up with it. I enjoy watching the playoffs, but I'm not going to pay to see the Bulls play. The only game(s) I'd probably pay for is the game(s) against Golden State. Yet, the UC will be packed for most games. Personally, I'm not sure how you can consider yourself a professional league when you have a "1%" concept going for teams.

A true competitor would not sign with the team that barely beat them during the playoffs. If he wants to win then he, as a superstar should do the necessary things to make OKC better. Hitching your wagon to a record setting team just so you can win a championship is cheap. OKC was more than capable of beating G.S.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Jbi11s wrote:
Yes, but your definition of being a competitor isn't necessarily THE definition. Obviously, KD wanted to win some rings. Why fault him for that?

Yes, he deserves shit talking for that tweet back in the day. Questioning his pride and competitive nature is just reaching to me.

Because you just came off choking away a 3 game series lead primarily because you sucked when it mattered most. Then you go and sign with that team who also happen to be the consensus best team in the league. How do you not question his competitiveness after that?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:47 pm 

long time guy wrote:
A true competitor would not sign with the team that barely beat them during the playoffs. If he wants to win then he, as a superstar should do the necessary things to make OKC better. Hitching your wagon to a record setting team just so you can win a championship is cheap. OKC was more than capable of beating G.S.

Exactly.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:10 pm 

Let me just say I respect everyone's opinion...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
A shit league enjoyed by dumbass mother fuckers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:15 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Because you just came off choking away a 3 game series lead primarily because you sucked when it mattered most. Then you go and sign with that team who also happen to be the consensus best team in the league. How do you not question his competitiveness after that?

Yes the Thunder did choke away a 2 game series lead in epic fashion. They went through a lot of last season choking away leads when it mattered most as well. I just can't go as far as to question a guy's heart when I've never seen him give up in a game.

If you can't beat 'em join 'em.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:16 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
A shit league enjoyed by dumbass mother fuckers

What are you drinking tonight?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:21 pm 

long time guy wrote:

Your first two sentences are 1980s meatball regurgitations. I guess I value in game competitiveness far more than the loyalty and tradition garbage that a lot of old heads cling to.

OKC was simply not as good as you think. I may concede other arguments, but I'm not going to concede that point.

Last edited by Jbi11s on Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:33 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

I just don't get why you guys are taking this so personally. I don't think anyone here is an OKC fan above all else.

You guys are acting like he's dating your daughter or something.

It's not that serious. It's sports. The Bulls won't be good again until the Warriors era is almost finished anyway. Knee jerk hatred is a Chicago specialty, but I just don't understand it here.

Knee jerk hatred is always justified in sports if it's a guy not playing on your team. As you said, it's not the serious, so why does it bother you that there's this kind of blowback?

You're sounding a bit like all the Grantland and NBA Twitter blowhards who were shocked, just shocked that people who weren't fans of the Heat would ever root against Lebron. This move is in the same class as that one, so similar disdain shouldn't be shocking. I'd note that at least the Heat fans seemed to embrace playing the villain, while the Golden State fans I've read today are being hyper defensive; I guess 2 seasons worth of bullshit about how humble Steph is ( :lol: ) and blather about how they're built "the right way" didn't adequately prepare them for the metric ton of hatred that's going to be coming their way next season.

If you want the more cosmopolitan answer though, I find the league substantially less interesting when there are moves that reduce competitive balance. I enjoy close games and series, and would much prefer to consume those than be lectured all season about how I should just Appreciate Greatness in the course of blowouts.

I just don't agree with knee jerk reactions in general. Too many sports fans can't objectively look at any situation. Hot take sports society has seriously fucked up the way we perceive professional athletics.

I am a blow hard. There are extraneous circumstances that are causing me to project negativity on you guys. Sorry for that.

Totally agree I was so sick of the Currys, specifically Ayesha, by the end of the finals. In all honesty tho, they were only framed as the darlings of the NBA by the media. I mean you have a dirty dick puncher, and a guy who struts after every crucial 3 pointer made on your team. I'm sure the blowback was well in motion by the start of the playoffs last year, but Espn ran with a different narrative. If GS thought teams were bringing it against them last season, just wait.

This is the way the league is set up. It's what was bargained for. I agree the NBA can't really afford to have a playoff competition like this past season. Like I said before tho, the NBA has consistently had stretches where you know who the 2 or 3 teams are that will be fighting for the trophy in June.

I guess everyone is just acting brand new, and that bothers me.

Last edited by Jbi11s on Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:33 pm 

Good lord. I've become LTG.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Every sport benefits from having dominant teams/players:

Earl Anthony
Alan Francis
Tiger Woods
Kevin Martin
Jack Nicklaus
Lakers/Celts
Bulls
Efren Reyes
Patriots/Colts rivalry in the NFL
Kentucky in NCAA hoops
Blackhawks and Kings winning multiple Stanley Cups in recent years helped hockey not only in their own cities but throughout the sport.

when do people get excited about horse racing? etc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:09 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I questioned it before now.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:11 am 

Nas wrote:

Horse racing excitement?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:16 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Jbi11s wrote:
Nas wrote:

Horse racing excitement?

#Truth

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:27 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
hey it's possible that he goes there for 1yr to win a ring then jets back to OKC to shove that ring in westbrick's face like "so let's talk about heroball..."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:38 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
Obviously, Durant takes pride in his legacy, and wants a shot at multiple rings. The Thunder are just not as good as you think.
What will his legacy be though?

1) Joined up with a championship team who was about 3 minutes away from repeating and rode them to a ring.
2) Actually made a championship team worse somehow and didn't win a title.

I mean he gets a ring and that is cool but just like Lebron the rings won like this aren't really viewed as "legacy defining".

I just can't wait until everyone also tries to convince themselves that the rest of the team isn't that good around him when they win it like they did with Lebron.

The only major difference here is that Durant was more on his way to hall of famer player rather than generational talent so this just keeps going with that.

Honestly, it looks like a lot of players are scared of being the next Barkley or Malone and never getting a ring so they take the easy way out. However, joining a team that is already a championship team and championship favorite takes that up a level.

I at least give Carmelo Anthony for caring more about being in New York than winning titles or competing. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:55 am 

Ill take the field vs Golden State to win next year

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
LeBron winning the championship made me sick. This means LeBron is going down for sure next summer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:50 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Obviously, Durant takes pride in his legacy, and wants a shot at multiple rings. The Thunder are just not as good as you think.

1) Joined up with a championship team who was about 3 minutes away from repeating and rode them to a ring.

I mean he gets a ring and that is cool but just like Lebron the rings won like this aren't really viewed as "legacy defining".

I just can't wait until everyone also tries to convince themselves that the rest of the team isn't that good around him when they win it like they did with Lebron.

The only major difference here is that Durant was more on his way to hall of famer player rather than generational talent so this just keeps going with that.

Honestly, it looks like a lot of players are scared of being the next Barkley or Malone and never getting a ring so they take the easy way out. However, joining a team that is already a championship team and championship favorite takes that up a level.

I at least give Carmelo Anthony for caring more about being in New York than winning titles or competing. :lol:

Carmelo Anthony would never do something like this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:03 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Your first two sentences are 1980s meatball regurgitations. I guess I value in game competitiveness far more than the loyalty and tradition garbage that a lot of old heads cling to.

OKC was simply not as good as you think. I may concede other arguments, but I'm not going to concede that point.

What you refer to as 80's meatball regurgitations I refer to simply as run of the mill ignorance. For guys like Jordan and Thomas, winning a championship the way that they did was a validation of their greatness as players. Bandwagon guys have never been respected in sports. There is a reason for it.

Durant probably doesn't care about that, but his winning a ring matters not to me as an observer of the game. Very few outside of Golden State "meatball" types will condone a move like this.

While you keep saying that OKC wasn't good enough and that's my opinion, you sound foolish. They proved that they were good enough in the best place that it should be proven, on the court. This isn't a court of public opinion argument, as they established that they were OKC's equal when they matched up.

He abandoned at worst the 3rd best team in basketball in order to backdoor into a championship. If it doesn't work he will forever be the goat. That much is guaranteed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
It's hard to believe that Durant was seduced by the gay side.

And Zaza? Now they're gonna have two guys kicking Adams in the nuts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

I've largely defended a lot of the casual sports fans' reactions to this, but if there's one group to blame for this it's the braindead Kobe fans. They've repeatedly attempted to establish both that "sort by ringcount" is a legitimate standard for ranking players and that it doesn't matter if you were the best player on the team or not when those rings were won in their neverending quest to argue that their favorite is somehow top 10 or even top 3 of all time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:49 am 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

I've largely defended a lot of the casual sports fans' reactions to this, but if there's one group to blame for this it's the braindead Kobe fans. They've repeatedly attempted to establish both that "sort by ringcount" is a legitimate standard for ranking players and that it doesn't matter if you were the best player on the team or not when those rings were won in their neverending quest to argue that their favorite is somehow top 10 or even top 3 of all time.

In the woebegotten Melo thread I argued ad nauseum this very point. Championships are more often than not a product of who you play with rather than who you are as a player. Durant further validates this argument.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next