It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:02 pm 

long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Obviously, Durant takes pride in his legacy, and wants a shot at multiple rings. The Thunder are just not as good as you think.
What will his legacy be though?

1) Joined up with a championship team who was about 3 minutes away from repeating and rode them to a ring.
2) Actually made a championship team worse somehow and didn't win a title.

I mean he gets a ring and that is cool but just like Lebron the rings won like this aren't really viewed as "legacy defining".

I just can't wait until everyone also tries to convince themselves that the rest of the team isn't that good around him when they win it like they did with Lebron.

The only major difference here is that Durant was more on his way to hall of famer player rather than generational talent so this just keeps going with that.

Honestly, it looks like a lot of players are scared of being the next Barkley or Malone and never getting a ring so they take the easy way out. However, joining a team that is already a championship team and championship favorite takes that up a level.

I at least give Carmelo Anthony for caring more about being in New York than winning titles or competing. :lol:

I've largely defended a lot of the casual sports fans' reactions to this, but if there's one group to blame for this it's the braindead Kobe fans. They've repeatedly attempted to establish both that "sort by ringcount" is a legitimate standard for ranking players and that it doesn't matter if you were the best player on the team or not when those rings were won in their neverending quest to argue that their favorite is somehow top 10 or even top 3 of all time.

In the woebegotten Melo thread I argued ad nauseum this very point. Championships are more often than not a product of who you play with rather than who you are as a player. Durant further validates this argument.
I don't think you understood his point.

Carmelo is the opposite spectrum of bad. His teams are just bad and fail in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
Obviously, Durant takes pride in his legacy, and wants a shot at multiple rings. The Thunder are just not as good as you think.

1) Joined up with a championship team who was about 3 minutes away from repeating and rode them to a ring.

I mean he gets a ring and that is cool but just like Lebron the rings won like this aren't really viewed as "legacy defining".

I just can't wait until everyone also tries to convince themselves that the rest of the team isn't that good around him when they win it like they did with Lebron.

The only major difference here is that Durant was more on his way to hall of famer player rather than generational talent so this just keeps going with that.

Honestly, it looks like a lot of players are scared of being the next Barkley or Malone and never getting a ring so they take the easy way out. However, joining a team that is already a championship team and championship favorite takes that up a level.

I at least give Carmelo Anthony for caring more about being in New York than winning titles or competing. :lol:

I've largely defended a lot of the casual sports fans' reactions to this, but if there's one group to blame for this it's the braindead Kobe fans. They've repeatedly attempted to establish both that "sort by ringcount" is a legitimate standard for ranking players and that it doesn't matter if you were the best player on the team or not when those rings were won in their neverending quest to argue that their favorite is somehow top 10 or even top 3 of all time.

In the woebegotten Melo thread I argued ad nauseum this very point. Championships are more often than not a product of who you play with rather than who you are as a player. Durant further validates this argument.

Durant wasn't an all time great before this move. I completely agree with you when it comes to how guys like Jordan and Isiah did it but I don't believe that the general public does. That's why you see people calling LeBron a top 5 player.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Carmelo is the opposite spectrum of bad. His teams are just bad and fail in the playoffs.

You don't make sense. He made the playoffs his first 9 years in the league and also led NY to the best record they have had in 16 years.

I understand his point perfectly. You misunderstood it which isnt surprising because you are the leader of the "championship" or bust brigade. You fail to see how guys make teams better or how it may not necessarily be their fault when they don't win. It takes more than a superstar player to win a championship yet you place the onus on one player. That's faulty logic.

Charles Barkley was a great player whether he ever won a championship or not. Pippen has 6 but Barkley was still the better player. Carmelo has made every team that he has ever played on better and that includes Syracuse. You keep promoting the myth that he is a loser because he hasn't won a championship. That is the sort of flawed logic to which he refers.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:14 pm 

Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Durant wasn't an all time great before this move. I completely agree with you when it comes to how guys like Jordan and Isiah did it but I don't believe that the general public does. That's why you see people calling LeBron a top 5 player.

Maybe he would have been had he won a championship. Steph Curry was placed in that category by some (not me) with one ring and two MVPs. Durant's body of work was greater than his.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I had to come to grips this morning with this...

I disliked LeBron before he went to the Heat. I strongly disliked him after. I liked him again when he came back to Cleveland.

I've always liked Durant. I like him more today.

I know that makes no sense. But that's where I am.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Maybe he would have been had he won a championship. Steph Curry was placed in that category by some (not me) with one ring and two MVPs. Durant's body of work was greater than his.

Curry isn't either. Greatest shooter of all time but definitely not an all time great. Besides I believe that Westbrook would have been primarily responsible for a championship ring.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:21 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
I had to come to grips this morning with this...

I disliked LeBron before he went to the Heat. I strongly disliked him after. I liked him again when he came back to Cleveland.

I've always liked Durant. I like him more today.

I know that makes no sense. But that's where I am.

No worries, long time posters know you never make sense. :wink:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:23 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

You don't make sense. He made the playoffs his first 9 years in the league and also led NY to the best record they have had in 16 years.

I understand his point perfectly. You misunderstood it which isnt surprising because you are the leader of the "championship" or bust brigade. You fail to see how guys make teams better or how it may not necessarily be their fault when they don't win. It takes more than a superstar player to win a championship yet you place the onus on one player. That's faulty logic.

Charles Barkley was a great player whether he ever won a championship or not. Pippen has 6 but Barkley was still the better player. Carmelo has made every team that he has ever played on better and that includes Syracuse. You keep promoting the myth that he is a loser because he hasn't won a championship. That is the sort of flawed logic to which he refers.
Read his post again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:36 pm 

The sort by ring count narrative is right in your wheelhouse. I'm still wondering how Anthony's teams were ever expected to win. He has never played with elite talent yet that makes him a lose in your world.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:02 pm 

long time guy wrote:
The sort by ring count narrative is right in your wheelhouse. I'm still wondering how Anthony's teams were ever expected to win. He has never played with elite talent yet that makes him a lose in your world.

He has actively chosen to play in a dog shit situation.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

See but this is the problem the people rushing to Durant's defense rightly identify. Guys who take the money are ripped for being greedy; guys who take paycuts to chase rings are ripped by many of the same people for being chasing rings. Again, I think it's perfectly justifiable to hate Durant but for some segment of the NBA watching population the only decision players can make that's beyond reproach is apparently sticking with their original team for life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:00 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

See but this is the problem the people rushing to Durant's defense rightly identify. Guys who take the money are ripped for being greedy; guys who take paycuts to chase rings are ripped by many of the same people for being chasing rings. Again, I think it's perfectly justifiable to hate Durant but for some segment of the NBA watching population the only decision players can make that's beyond reproach is apparently sticking with their original team for life.

I don't though. My thinkng on this pertains to context. If you are with a team for x amount of years and it is obvious that your team is going nowhere it is perfectly ok to bounce. There have been numerous great players in this situation and rarely if ever have they been ripped.

Durant's situation is different. He is leaving arguably the most talented team in the league and joining a team that broke the single season record for victories. If OKC were on a downward flight he wouldnt be ripped. It is fair to look at him a bit differently after making this move.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:03 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Durant is joining a team that has previous team would have defeated if it weren't for his meltdowns in game 5,6,7.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
conns7901 wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Durant is joining a team that has previous team would have defeated if it weren't for his meltdowns in game 5,6,7.

Right but he's taking a paycut to do so. He's "actively choosing" to prioritize winning! Isn't that what we want from our athletes, unlike that greedy SOB Melo who actively choose to sign the most lucrative deal imaginable?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Jerry West is the one who teamed up Shaq and Kobe. West now works for Golden State. West told Durant that playing your ass off only to lose in the conf finals or finals sucks ass and that there's no shame in teaming up with other great players to win championships.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

conns7901 wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Completely agree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:44 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hussra wrote:
Jerry West is the one who teamed up Shaq and Kobe. West now works for Golden State. West told Durant that playing your ass off only to lose in the conf finals or finals sucks ass and that there's no shame in teaming up with other great players to win championships.

He's the best closer in the NBA.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
ZephMarshack wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Right but he's taking a paycut to do so. He's "actively choosing" to prioritize winning! Isn't that what we want from our athletes, unlike that greedy SOB Melo who actively choose to sign the most lucrative deal imaginable?

I know you're teasing basketball dorks. But do we know he's staying longer than a year?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:19 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Those two things aren't opposite things though.

We aren't mad at Carmelo for simply wanting to be a Knick. We just don't accept the excuses as to why his teams are not relevant in the playoffs. I haven't heard anyone that is mad that Carmelo isn't still in Denver. I don't think they are even mad he is in New York. The major point with Carmelo is that forcing a trade to and then resigning with a team gets rid of the excuses as to why they are bad when you know exactly what you are getting into.

Both situations are unique and not comparable and neither one of them deserve excuses if they fail.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:21 pm 

long time guy wrote:
I'm not going to correct you on what actually was said about Carmelo. Bump it or at least read it.

Hint: It's not about championships. It's about relevance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:50 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
I'm not going to correct you on what actually was said about Carmelo. Bump it or at least read it.

This is why your comments hold little "relevance". Anthony left Denver for the purpose of winning. He left in order to team up with a guy that was having an MVP type season at the time he was traded. He also thought that he'd be able to replicate the "big 3" thing which James was able to achieve in Miami. It didn't work that way so he decided to stay in NY.

I will never fault a guy for taking the money. If the money were even and he chose NY then you have an argument. It wasn't and thus you dont. These crazy scenarios that you and Nas have presented don't hold much "relevance" Dwayne Wade did what Nas has been suggesting for 2 yrs now and look at him now.

You are saying that the dude is a lose for taking the money and running. Look at David West how in the hell do you think he feels right about now?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:54 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Anthony left Denver for the purpose of winning.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, by forcing the Knicks to gut the roster in order to get him for an extra half season so he got more money.

Carmelo went to New York for a lot of reasons. Winning was not one of them. That is why he chose to resign too even when it was clear they weren't winning anything.

Carmelo decided to stay in New York. He doesn't get to be defended with excuses that his hand picked place to play at is not providing a way for this superstar to be relevant.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:57 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Anthony left Denver for the purpose of winning.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, by forcing the Knicks to gut the roster in order to get him for an extra half season so he got more money.

Carmelo went to New York for a lot of reasons. Winning was not one of them. That is why he chose to resign too even when it was clear they weren't winning anything.

Carmelo decided to stay in New York. He doesn't get to be defended with excuses that his hand picked place to play at is not providing a way for this superstar to be relevant.

The Knicks will have a better team this year than either of the 2 teams that wanted him 2 years ago.

Forcing the Knicks? Did I miss the part where they really didn't have to trade for him? Also the gutting of the franchise led to their best record in 16 years. Not bad for a "gut" job.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:06 pm 

long time guy wrote:
The Knicks will have a better team this year than either of the 2 teams that wanted him 2 years ago.
Awesome. So are the excuses done for Carmelo? Should they be on par with the Cavs? Championship contender?
long time guy wrote:
Forcing the Knicks? Did I miss the part where they really didn't have to trade for him? Also the gutting of the franchise led to their best record in 16 years. Not bad for a "gut" job.
Yes, they had to trade for him rather than sign him.

And I'm sure the Knicks fans are happy about that one season that wasn't really that good either. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:30 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Awesome. So are the excuses done for Carmelo? Should they be on par with the Cavs? Championship contender?
long time guy wrote:
Yes, they had to trade for him rather than sign him.

And I'm sure the Knicks fans are happy about that one season that wasn't really that good either. :lol:

You give him Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love and he'd get to the Finals too. In the East Book it. That talent from the Knicks was so good that they traded all of them. Once again validating my point. Also if Melo is bad then why would they max him out? I don't want to turn this into the Melo thread so I will leave it at that.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

This is why your comments hold little "relevance". Anthony left Denver for the purpose of winning. He left in order to team up with a guy that was having an MVP type season at the time he was traded. He also thought that he'd be able to replicate the "big 3" thing which James was able to achieve in Miami. It didn't work that way so he decided to stay in NY.

I will never fault a guy for taking the money. If the money were even and he chose NY then you have an argument. It wasn't and thus you dont. These crazy scenarios that you and Nas have presented don't hold much "relevance" Dwayne Wade did what Nas has been suggesting for 2 yrs now and look at him now.

You are saying that the dude is a lose for taking the money and running. Look at David West how in the hell do you think he feels right about now?

No one was offering Wade a max deal. The money was virtually equal for Marshmelo if you don't include the final year he may not be around for if he opts out. Now Ducant is doing the same thing I Marshmelo should have done with his 2 year deal.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
http://www.si.com/nba/2016/07/08/kevin-durant-warriors-signing-larry-bird-magic-johnson?xid=IFT-Trending

Pacers president Larry Bird, talking about his playing career, said he could not have imagined making a move similar to Kevin Durant’s decision to join the Warriors.

Bird, a three-time NBA champion, made the comments on Sirius XM NBA radio. Durant, a former MVP, has come under some criticism for joining a Warriors team that won 73 games last season.

“I know back in the day, I couldn’t imagine going to the Lakers and playing with Magic Johnson. I’d rather try to beat him,” Bird said. “I could never imagine myself going and joining another team with great players, because I had great players and I was in a great situation.”

Bird certainly played with great players, having starred alongside NBA legends Kevin McHale, Robert Parish and Bill Walton during his career. Bird’s Celtics famously battled with the Lakers throughout the 1980s. ...

Kind of inflammatory cherry-picking by SI ... here's that quote from Larry in context:

... when these players get together and go play it just makes them a lot stronger. But that's why we have free agency. If they stay within the rules I have no problem with it and I'm happy for them. You like to be on a team where we can be competitive. I know back in the day I couldn't imagine going to the Lakers and playing with Magic Johnson, I'd rather try to beat him, but these guys are different. I understand a lot of it and it's within the rules, so they can do whatever they do. I can remember years ago we were fighting (when I played) for free agency - you know, pure free agency - so there would be more movement. But I could never imagine myself going and joining another team with great players because I had great players. I was in a great situation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:49 pm 

Golden State is small as hell. They are going to have to add some big men. If Za Za is their only big man they are going to be in trouble.

Their bench is also going to be thin too. May have to hold off on that parade. They had to move a lot of contracts in order to add Durant.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:16 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
long time guy wrote:
Golden State is small as hell. They are going to have to add some big men. If Za Za is their only big man they are going to be in trouble.

Their bench is also going to be thin too. May have to hold off on that parade. They had to move a lot of contracts in order to add Durant.

They need a 7' no doubt that ain't a stiff..I thought Noah was a good fit until I seen what NY paid for that hasbeen.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:24 pm 

312player wrote:
long time guy wrote:

They will undoubtedly find a 7 foot stiff that they won't be able to use in meaningful games. Can't afford to pay anyone with that haul they just gave Durant. They are going to put a lot of pressure on Draymond. This is going to be interesting. They lost pretty much everyone that played either the 4 or 5 in order to sign Durant,

They need a 7' no doubt that ain't a stiff..I thought Noah was a good fit until I seen what NY paid for that hasbeen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next