It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2016-17 season
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:46 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I thought there was zero chance Bosh was playing this season? Or is it just that he won't be eligible for the playoff roster?

There's been talk of him signing somewhere for the last month now. The Heat want nothing to do with him, but another team could take a chance with him. I think he actually wants to play and Miami is the one telling him "no". There was even rumors out there of him potentially joining the Bulls.

Right, but if he's not on a different team and cleared to play by March 1st I think he's ineligible for any postseason play.

The Heat can waive him as of 2/9 (one year anniversary of his last game), and wipe his entire contract off the books due to medically not cleared to play. I except him to be waived sometime from now till the end of February and for him to sign elsewhere. LeBron is going to push big for this now due to all the injuries on the Cavs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Douchebag wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I thought there was zero chance Bosh was playing this season? Or is it just that he won't be eligible for the playoff roster?

There's been talk of him signing somewhere for the last month now. The Heat want nothing to do with him, but another team could take a chance with him. I think he actually wants to play and Miami is the one telling him "no". There was even rumors out there of him potentially joining the Bulls.

Right, but if he's not on a different team and cleared to play by March 1st I think he's ineligible for any postseason play.

The Heat can waive him as of 2/9 (one year anniversary of his last game), and wipe his entire contract off the books due to medically not cleared to play. I except him to be waived sometime from now till the end of February and for him to sign elsewhere. LeBron is going to push big for this now due to all the injuries on the Cavs.

Fair enough. I haven't been following it closely but I thought I read recently there was bad blood between bosh and Miami and they are purposely gonna wait until after March 1st.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:06 pm 

It's just crazy as hell watching Westbrook play. There's times I'm watching him and I'm certain I'm watching the best player in the history of basketball.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:41 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
It's just crazy as hell watching James play. There's times I'm watching him and I'm certain I'm watching the best player in the history of basketball.

Fixed

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:12 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
It's just crazy as hell watching James play. There's times I'm watching him and I'm certain I'm watching the best player in the history of basketball.

Fixed

No. Never felt like that watching Lebron

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:38 pm 

This Celtics Cavs game is one of the best I've seen all year. Kyrie and Isaiah just going at eachother in the 3rd. Just a great game all around.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:25 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
I really want the Bucks to get the 8 seed in the east

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I'm not sure what the NBA can do and they have to love it's another ABC game, but the Cavs are resting their big 3 against the Clippers tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
reents wrote:
I'm not sure what the NBA can do and they have to love it's another ABC game, but the Cavs are resting their big 3 against the Clippers tonight.

Same thing happened last week with the Spurs/Warriors right?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
FrankDrebin wrote:
reents wrote:

Yep

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Pretty sad I'm watching Fast Five on NBC over both NBA games tonight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
reents wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
reents wrote:

Yep

I totally understand resting players, especially the stars. But why all in the same game? What does that accomplish other than fucking the fans who bought tickets?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:02 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
reents wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
reents wrote:

Yep

I totally understand resting players, especially the stars. But why all in the same game? What does that accomplish other than fucking the fans who bought tickets?

i think that's a fair point i haven't really heard - it does seem whenever Lebron rests, so do Love and Irving. And when Curry rests so do Klay and Green and basically all the starters. Maybe they could institute something where it can only be 1 player. Or 2. idk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:09 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
reents wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
reents wrote:

Yep

I think the fans assume risk when attending/watching games, the risk here being favorite/popular players not "working" during a given game. I look at it like this: the fans are buying their way into the workplace of NBA players to see them go to work for their employers (the teams), just like you might walk into the kitchen of a McDonald's, for whatever reason, to see everyone do their jobs. On any given day someone might not show up to work because he's out sick, on leave, whatever. This happens at both the McDonald's and at the NBA game.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:10 am 

Kind of a big game tonight between the Bucks and the Hawks if you are a Bucks fan, have a chance to climb up into the 5 seed.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:19 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
reents wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
reents wrote:

Yep

I think the fans assume risk when attending/watching games, the risk here being favorite/popular players not "working" during a given game. I look at it like this: the fans are buying their way into the workplace of NBA players to see them go to work for their employers (the teams), just like you might walk into the kitchen of a McDonald's, for whatever reason, to see everyone do their jobs. On any given day someone might not show up to work because he's out sick, on leave, whatever. This happens at both the McDonald's and at the NBA game.

that's about the most ridiculous analogy i've ever heard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:40 am 

Feel free to explain why anytime now

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:55 am 

fans aren't going to see players "work", just like at McDonalds they don't go to see someone work- they go to receive a product. In the case of an NBA game, if all the starters are resting that product is likely going to be pretty shitty.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:00 am 

Bagels wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
reents wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
reents wrote:

Yep

i think that's a fair point i haven't really heard - it does seem whenever Lebron rests, so do Love and Irving. And when Curry rests so do Klay and Green and basically all the starters. Maybe they could institute something where it can only be 1 player. Or 2. idk

They should set the rosters like how they used to. Now I think each team can dress 13 guys in the regular season, and have 2 inactives (for a total of 15).

Back in the day you dressed 12 guys, and you had some injured list slots. When you went to the injured list, you missed a minimum of 5 games. So if GS wants to rest Curry, Klay, and Green on the same night, they would only get to dress 9 guys (or even less if other guys on the team are currently injured), unless they want to send Curry, Klay, or Green to the Injured List and have them sit for 5 games. Dressing 9 guys probably wouldn't be a huge deal, but it might make some teams think a little harder towards a better solution on the resting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I like DB's roster idea about injured list. Specifically to the Cavs it is pretty clear they do not win when Lebron does not play. So my guess is rest them all when Lebron does so not to waste the day off another time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:22 am 

Bagels wrote:
fans aren't going to see players "work", just like at McDonalds they don't go to see someone work- they go to receive a product. In the case of an NBA game, if all the starters are resting that product is likely going to be pretty shitty.

Work/product = same thing. The players when playing are first and foremost "working," and only incidentally are they putting out a "product." If no fans showed up to a game and there was no TV/radio coverage, the players would still be playing, that's why I believe they're "working."

On McDonald's you're obviously correct, but I wasn't talking about customers visiting McDonald's to buy a Big Mac. I meant let's say, again for whatever absurd hypothetical reason, McDonald's allowed people to buy tickets to see how employees work behind the scenes. That was the analogy - people are watching other people work in both cases. I'm not sure of any formal ties between the NBA's paying customer and the lineup on the courts. I'm going to assume there is none. And calling a LeBron James-less game between the Cavs and some shit team a "poor product" is extremely subjective. Again I'm sure there's a bunch of legal perspectives here of which I'm ignorant, but you're paying to see employees of the Sixers play basketball against employees of the Cavs. Now if you're marketing such games as a chance to see particular stars in action, then there's obviously something off there if such marketing entails a promise, but if it's just Cavs vs Sixers I'm not sure what right the league or whatever has to compel the Cavs to start and play LBJ. The coach can and should do whatever he wants to ensure the long-term success and health of his team and players.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Did the great Doc Rivers blow a 18 point lead to the Kings? Very VDN like...Paul will throw his ass under the bus also

I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:17 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Bagels wrote:

Work/product = same thing. The players when playing are first and foremost "working," and only incidentally are they putting out a "product." If no fans showed up to a game and there was no TV/radio coverage, the players would still be playing

:lol:

No they wouldn't.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:32 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Bagels wrote:

Work/product = same thing. The players when playing are first and foremost "working," and only incidentally are they putting out a "product." If no fans showed up to a game and there was no TV/radio coverage, the players would still be playing

No they wouldn't.

I see what you're saying and I don't mean it that way. Obviously attendance is a big part of sustaining NBA business. I still think you're paying to see NBA players work for their employers. You being there as a fan is only incidental - the coach doesn't owe it to you to start and play LBJ for forty minutes to make sure you got your money's worth. Maybe that's bad for business but caring about that side of the business is outside the coach's scope.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:33 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Bagels wrote:

No they wouldn't.

I see what you're saying and I don't mean it that way. Obviously attendance is a big part of sustaining NBA business. I still think you're paying to see NBA players work for their employers. You being there as a fan is only incidental - the coach doesn't owe it to you to start and play LBJ for forty minutes to make sure you got your money's worth. Maybe that's bad for business but caring about that side of the business is outside the coach's scope.

Fans aren't incidental. They are literally the only thing keeping the "business" afloat.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
No repeat in the finals

I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:23 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Bagels wrote:

No they wouldn't.

Fans aren't incidental. They are literally the only thing keeping the "business" afloat.

That's not my point though. Here's my premise: coaches shouldn't care about fan displeasure with their game to game lineups. They should only care about wins losses and the playoffs. Sometimes benching the most important players pays off in the long run. If doing that means fans are upset with the "product" they paid to see then so be it.

Now, the business side executives have a case for bitching about these lineups, I'll grant you that. But a coach shouldn't give a shit. And as for us as fans, seeing a healthy LBJ or whomever sit is just the result of a manager choosing how to leverage his staff. Yeah a game is the product from the business side of things, which is what we think we're consuming, but in the end you're just watching a bunch of guys do what their manager tells them to do, including taking a day off.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account
@WojVerticalNBA

New York's Derrick Rose has suffered a torn meniscus in his knee and will miss remainder of the season, league sources tell @TheVertical.
12:00 PM - 2 Apr 2017

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account
@WojVerticalNBA

New York's Derrick Rose has suffered a torn meniscus in his knee and will miss remainder of the season, league sources tell @TheVertical.
12:00 PM - 2 Apr 2017

I see Sacramento in his future.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
His NBA career is done. He will have to play in Europe, if he still wants to lace them up. He should just sit at home and collect that Addidas money.