It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:29 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
:lol:

I don't even agree with Walt on this but that's funny

Simmons won't be enough to carry Philly. They won't be drafting in the top five anymore either. They have to make good on Fultz. Everything hinges on Simmons health of Embiid and Fultz being solid. If that occurs they are in the mix. You love Simmons and I am a big fan. You are going to need more than him though.

I don't have faith in Colangelo either. He is making too many boneheaded moves for me.

Well, what are we talking here? I think he's good enough to carry them to the playoffs without Embiid. He can't carry them to a title by himself because basketball doesn't really work that way.

But yeah, you need more than Simmons. That's what Free Agency and the draft is for. If you're a superstar free agent, I would have to think Ben Simmons is number 1 on your list of guys you want to play with.

There is difference in impact between Simmons and Embiid. Embiid is simply more impactful. He was on a minutes restriction last year. I don't think he played more than 25 minutes in any one game and the team record was 13-18.

This year without him they are 1-6. The problem with Simmons is that it is difficult to go to him down the stretch because of his shaky free throw shooting. Your franchise guy cannot be a 50% free throw shooter unless his name is Shaquille Oneal. I'm a Simmons fan but the key to this thing was and is Embiid. I stated it last year too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Your franchise superstar has to play in more than 10% of his career games. That's a bit more important than free throw shooting.

Simmons is the key to this whole thing. Embiid is a luxury that probably won't be available most years. Starting this upcoming offseason they need to retool the roster around Simmons. They'll have some flexibility even with Embiid's contract to make some moves.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:32 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
long time guy wrote:
If Embiid is going to be a guy missing 25-30% of his games every year then there no way this thing works.

ding!

I'll give you a preview: it doesn't work most seasons. It's Bill Walton all over again.

So, to be clear, you think the Sixers won't be good most seasons if Embiid isn't healthy?

the Sixers will be just good enough to make the playoffs in the East if Embiid is somewhat healthy. Thereby they miss out on another really good draft possibility and from here on out they're an also ran in the East for the next 3-4 years. I don't consider that to be "good", others might.

No, I don't consider that good. Obviously I also don't agree with it.

They have Simmons. They have their franchise changing superstar. There should be no more talk of "they miss out on another really good draft possibility". No more tanking.

A healthy Simmons will guarantee 50 wins regardless of the roster around him starting next year. He's just getting his feet wet and can't shoot for shit and he's already dominating.

They are 1-6 with him and no Embiid. If Embiid goes down for any extended pd. of time this thing stalls.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:35 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Your franchise superstar has to play in more than 10% of his career games. That's a bit more important than free throw shooting.

Simmons is the key to this whole thing. Embiid is a luxury that probably won't be available most years. Starting this upcoming offseason they need to retool the roster around Simmons. They'll have some flexibility even with Embiid's contract to make some moves.

Simmons isn't as impactful as Embiid and I just provided the evidence. Of course Embiid has to play. That is not a revelation but the notion that Simmons can carry this team regardless of surrounding talent is foolish. They are 1-6 without Embiid and Simmons wasn't good enough to beat the Bulls and Sac the last 2 games. Again I say this as Simmons fan. I think it is another example of you overrating the guys that you like. You sort of jump out the water with them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:35 pm 

long time guy wrote:
They are 1-6 with him and no Embiid. If Embiid goes down for any extended pd. of time this thing stalls.

I'm not going to draw sweeping conclusions off a 7 game sample size. Simmons is still a rookie and the rest of the roster outside of him, Embiid, Saric, and Covington simply isn't good. If they are still struggling a lot without Embiid by the middle of next season then I would say that is alarming and you are correct.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:37 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Simmons isn't as impactful as Embiid and I just provided the evidence. Of course Embiid has to play. That is not a revelation but the notion that Simmons can carry this team regardless of surrounding talent is foolish. They are 1-6 without Embiid and Simmons wasn't good enough to beat the Bulls and Sac the last 2 games. Again I say this as Simmons fan. I think it is another example of you overrating the guys that you like. You sort of jump out the water with them.

Wait... are you under the impression that Simmons won't improve? That this 7 game sample size is gonna define his career? :lol:

It's not overrating guys. It's usually not hard to tell if someone is going to be a future franchise guy pretty early on. Simmons is clearly one.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
long time guy wrote:
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Embiid is the key to this whole thing. 1-6 without him. Simmons is a stud but he is going to have to shoot free throws better. 50% at the line isn't going to cut it. It's definitely not going to cut it for a guy playing the point. I don't care if he ever gets a 3 point shot but he has to get better at the line.

If Embiid is going to be a guy missing 25-30% of his games every year then there no way this thing works.

It's their first year doing this. I don't think Embiid will ever be reliable but Simmons will improve a lot, and they should be able to upgrade the roster around him and Embiid from what it's at now. That Embiid contract is going to hurt though.

They blew it with Okafor and trading potentially 2 top 5 picks for Fultz may be turn out to be the wrong move. Hinkie set them up to be sweet for 8-10 and that dumbass Colangelo is blowing it. It is not even fair to blame the "The Process" since the guy that constructed it is no longer around. Fultz had better turn out or this thing may go South fast.

Nov.20th 2016 Sixers .best young talent in the league
Dec 20th 2017 this thing may go South fast

I'm still going to win the bet Gifmeister.

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:00 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Wait... are you under the impression that Simmons won't improve? That this 7 game sample size is gonna define his career? :lol:

It's not overrating guys. It's usually not hard to tell if someone is going to be a future franchise guy pretty early on. Simmons is clearly one.

No he will get better but saying that he will carry any team regardless of talent to 50 wins next year is pushing it. I don't think he will be that good. Certainly not by next year. This thing hinges on Embiid. I gambled on his health. His health is the key to this whole thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:05 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

No he will get better but saying that he will carry any team regardless of talent to 50 wins next year is pushing it. I don't think he will be that good. Certainly not by next year. This thing hinges on Embiid. I gambled on his health. His health is the key to this whole thing.

Well, I do. We will likely find out 16 months from now who is correct.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:11 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Losing too many close games, I thought they'd win 50 and be a 3 seed this year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:14 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
312player wrote:

Learning how to win consistently in the NBA takes time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:16 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Jbi11s wrote:
312player wrote:

Learning how to win consistently in the NBA takes time.

I can't tell if it's execution or coaching.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:04 am 

without Embiid thay are 1-7 so the best young talent seems to be unfound

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!

as well as FF's contention that Simmons is the best player on the Sixers. It's clearly Embid.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:29 pm 

shakes wrote:

as well as FF's contention that Simmons is the best player on the Sixers. It's clearly Embid.

Nope it’s Simmons. This team would have the same record if Simmons missed 8 games. But he’s a franchise guy so he doesn’t miss 90% of the teams games.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:34 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
shakes wrote:

Nope it’s Simmons. This team would have the same record if Simmons missed 8 games. But he’s a franchise guy so he doesn’t miss 90% of the teams games.

what he misses 75% can't shoot FT or from the field....I'm thinkin I MISS LTG

I'm out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:42 pm 

Brendan Haywood is fast becoming one of the best analysts in the game.

He presented an interesting observation regarding the adjustment teams have made with Ben Simmons. Teams are guarding him with bigs and simply giving room. rather than try and defend him with guards they are using bigs that simply challenge him at the rim. It seems like this adjustment is bothering him somewhat. He isn't scoring as much as he was earlier in the season. He is going to have to make an adjustment.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:45 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
shakes wrote:

They were 13-18 last season with Embiid and no Simmons. This with Embiid on a minutes restriction which prevented him from playing more than about 23 minutes per game. Embiid is more of a difference maker at this point of their careers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:48 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
shakes wrote:

They were 13-18 last season with Embiid and no Simmons. This with Embiid on a minutes restriction which prevented him from playing more than about 23 minutes per game. Embiid is more of a difference maker at this point of their careers.

I still disagree on that but you might be right. Until Embiid plays a full season, we won't know.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Even without playing a full season it's clear he's the best young big man when he's on the court.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:54 pm 

Nas wrote:
Even without playing a full season it's clear he's the best young big man when he's on the court.

“Young big man” is a pretty damn thin category, but regardless, I consider this to be entirely irrelevant until he plays 60+ games in a season and/or plays in the postseason without a minutes restriction.

It doesn’t matter how good a player is if he’s not playing.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:04 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

“Young big man” is a pretty damn thin category, but regardless, I consider this to be entirely irrelevant until he plays 60+ games in a season and/or plays in the postseason without a minutes restriction.

Yeah but when he plays he makes a difference. You've anointed Simmons (who i like by the way) but he has played in fewer games than Embiid and has had less impact.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:11 am 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

Yeah but when he plays he makes a difference. You've anointed Simmons (who i like by the way) but he has played in fewer games than Embiid and has had less impact.

Are you equating missing your first year of play with missing 90% of three straight seasons? Shirley you can see the difference.

If Simmons missed 1.5 of the next two seasons I would agree with you that he's not reliable going forward. Until then, I'm willing to write off one injured season as an anamoly.

Simmons is hitting the rookie wall currently though, maybe a bit earlier than usual. I'm sure both of us are interested in seeing how he responds to it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:15 am 

Sixers were gonna lose anyway but man that is a horseshit tech at the end. It's technically a good call by the refs but players do that shit all the fucking time at the end of games. Saric corrected himself and backed up by the time the Portland dude was actually ready to inbound it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:36 am 

long time guy wrote:

He presented an interesting observation regarding the adjustment teams have made with Ben Simmons. Teams are guarding him with bigs and simply giving room. rather than try and defend him with guards they are using bigs that simply challenge him at the rim. It seems like this adjustment is bothering him somewhat. He isn't scoring as much as he was earlier in the season. He is going to have to make an adjustment.

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
i agree with ltg....Haywood is good. And entertaining too. About 100x better than Caron Butler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:34 am 

long time guy wrote:

"interesting" and "observation" is the sort of verbiage that will never be used in conjunction with you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:38 am 

Bagels wrote:
i agree with ltg....Haywood is good. And entertaining too. About 100x better than Caron Butler

Yeah Butler adds nothing. NBA TV/TNT usually does a good job of selecting analysts. I don't think he will be around too long.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:00 am 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

"interesting" and "observation" is the sort of verbiage that will never be used in conjunction with you.

Ben Simmons at LSU 1-3 3pt in 32 games
NBA 0-3 3pt in 33 games did ol' Brendan analyze that? Here's an interesting observation at the end of the year your ass is going to owe me a Benjamin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:15 am 

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Ben Simmons at LSU 1-3 3pt in 32 games
NBA 0-3 3pt in 33 games did ol' Brendan analyze that? Here's an interesting observation at the end of the year your ass is going to owe me a Benjamin :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Everyone knew Simmons couldn't shoot. That's not an astute observation.

Still early money on the bet and I have tbem fading soon. Very soon. You better hope Embiid gets hurt. Help in on the way in Philly. Philly has room to grow. Minnesota doesn't.

There is still an outside shot for me. A puncher's chance if you will.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 21  Next