It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I know the Celtics went to 10 straight during the 50s and 60s, and I think Russell was a part of that team...but the league had only eight or so teams at the time.

In a 30+ team league, does leading your team to the Finals six straight times many anything? We're likely to see him represent the East another two times before he's done, so he could make eight consecutive appearances.

I know the East has been weak when compared to the West, and yeah he's only 3-3 (3-4 overall), but this seems like nothing short of brutal dominance. Gotta say at this point that he's more dominant than...maybe Shaq? I think Shaq went 4-2 during his appearances, and either due to immaturity or health or some combination of the two he never put together a stretch like LBJ is currently putting together.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:09 pm 

No.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:14 pm 

It means the East has blown for quite awhile. Or just how ridiculously run MANY of the franchises are being run. Looking at you Bulls, Knicks, Nets, Hawks, Sixers, Wizards & Magic. A cavalcade of suck!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Regular Reader wrote:
It means the East has blown for quite awhile. Or just how ridiculously run MANY of the franchises are being run. Looking at you Bulls, Knicks, Nets, Hawks, Sixers, Wizards & Magic. A cavalcade of suck!

The Wizards are good and probably the one team capable of beating the Cavs in the East this year.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:23 pm 

It would only mean something if Lebron was 6 inches taller.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:27 pm 

It would mean more if he wasn't the overwhelming favorite in the East every year.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Douchebag wrote:
It would only mean something if Lebron was 6 inches taller.

You seem to be making a case for one more guy who is better than Jordan. Shooting guard MJ is now down to eighth greatest player.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:30 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

The Wizards are good and probably the one team capable of beating the Cavs in the East this year.

I know they've been decent the last two years, but they're irrelevant even in DC and have been for years. Ownership and mismanagement. And I'd say the one capable team may be Boston.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:41 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
It would mean more if he wasn't the overwhelming favorite in the East every year.

I think that supports my contention though (more dominant than Shaq) - any team he's on becomes the overwhelming favorite. Might be different now with the super team in GS.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
No.

Put differently, since 2010, the key to making it past the third round in the East is to employ LBJ. If you don't have that then your potential ceiling as a team is limited to making the third round of the playoffs. LBJ has made it unfair for every team in the East except his own.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:52 pm 

It means he's the best overall player since MJ... And one could argue just as good. I probably wouldn't say better... But it's hard to be better than figuratively perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

IkeSouth wrote:
But it's hard to be better than figuratively perfect.

LOOK. AT. HIS. BODY.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:02 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

I agree with this. 4 of those were with Miami which was essentially a "super" team. Cleveland carries a little more weight but even then he still has two other All Stars.

If he were carrying a team like this year's OKC to the finals for 6 years then he' should be lauded. He is essential holding serve as it is presently configured.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I agree with this. 4 of those were with Miami which was essentially a "super" team. Cleveland carries a little more weight but even then he still has two other All Stars.

Why is only LeBron held to this standard?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:10 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Yup. In retrospect Miami had a core that was only marginally better than the Bulls' cores for each three-peat era, that's if they were even better. Comes down to Bosh vs Rodman/Grant.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:42 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Put differently, since 2010, the key to making it past the third round in the East is to employ LBJ. If you don't have that then your potential ceiling as a team is limited to making the third round of the playoffs. LBJ has made it unfair for every team in the East except his own.
I believe this was discussed last year and my major point was: I would trade 6 finals appearances for 1 championship. Lebron won a few rings so isn't a direct comparison with his life.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:45 pm 

If Jordan lost a Finals and played the way LeBron did in 2011 he almost certainly wouldn't be the concensus GOAT today. Very low margin for error when it comes to that claim.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
The two 3-peats of the Bulls were two very different teams. Jordan came as close as one has come to "carrying" a team with the first 3-peat.

The second 3-peat team was much more balanced. Pippen matured, and they had Rodman, Kukoc, Kerr, Harper, and Longley.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:48 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
The two 3-peats of the Bulls were two very different teams. Jordan came as close as one has come to "carrying" a team with the first 3-peat.

The second 3-peat team was much more balanced. Pippen matured, and they had Rodman, Kukoc, Kerr, Harper, and Longley.

I don't think he's come as close as one has.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:

Certainly, Jordan was at the top of his game as a high flyer during the first threepeat. And I think most basketball people consider the earlier teams superior in spite of the 72 win team. The second championship team (91-92) was probably the best Bulls team.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Certainly, Jordan was at the top of his game as a high flyer during the first threepeat. And I think most basketball people consider the earlier teams superior in spite of the 72 win team. The second championship team (91-92) was probably the best Bulls team.

That's a tough one. Jordan was at his peak, for sure. Pippen was one year more mature than the prior year's team. And people forget that MANY thought that team would win 70 games before they hit a tough stretch near the All-Star break. I think I'd still go with '95-'96, but it's close.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:02 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

That's a tough one. Jordan was at his peak, for sure. Pippen was one year more mature than the prior year's team. And people forget that MANY thought that team would win 70 games before they hit a tough stretch near the All-Star break. I think I'd still go with '95-'96, but it's close.
The 95-96 team beat Shaq in the playoffs!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:07 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

He isn't. The East hasn't really been that good of a conference and when Lebron signed with Miami Wade was a no doubt top 5 player. If he'd accomplished it in the West it would be more of a big deal. Going to 6 straight finals when everyone predicts you to go to the Finals every year isn't that much of an accomplishment. Especially when you are engineering your roster each and every time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Yes.

It is a remarkable feat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:11 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

He isn't. The East hasn't really been that good of a conference and when Lebron signed with Miami Wade was a no doubt top 5 player. If he'd accomplished it in the West it would be more of a big deal. Going to 6 straight finals when everyone predicts you to go to the Finals every year isn't that much of an accomplishment. Especially when you are engineering your roster each and every time.

He's really looking to pair with at least one co-equal (Wade), or near equal (Irving). Every stud wants at least one co-stud to help carry the load. Six consecutive appearances is a huge achievement, and again before he's done it's likely going to be eight consecutive appearances.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:13 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

He's really looking to pair with at least one co-equal (Wade), or near equal (Irving). Every stud wants at least one co-stud to help carry the load. Six consecutive appearances is a huge achievement, and again before he's done it's likely going to be eight consecutive appearances.

And yet LeBron lost to a team featuring JJ Barea in the co-stud spot. :lol:

Fuck LeBron.

To rock my soul

long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Why does it matter if he engineers the roster?

100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Still can't win the big game.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:16 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

And yet LeBron lost to a team featuring JJ Barea in the co-stud spot. :lol:

Fuck LeBron.

That would be Jason Terry/Jason Kidd/Tyson Chandler in that spot but, yeah, LBJ doesn't have the killer gene like MJ or KB. I did see him like that a couple times though, most notable against the Bulls in 2011 and against the Celtics at some point.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:19 pm 

JJ Barea was the second scoring option most nights iirc.

Celtics was 2010. That was probably the series that LeBron finally decided he didn't want to actually have to compete too hard for a title.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:24 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
JJ Barea was the second scoring option most nights iirc.

Celtics was 2010. That was probably the series that LeBron finally decided he didn't want to actually have to compete too hard for a title.

I think you're still sour from the Spurs' embarrassing performance against the Heat in 2013 or whenever it was. Probably the worst choke job ever, even more than the Falcons' choke job.

Point is, LBJ has the league on lock down for at least seven years now. In the modern era, don't know if we've seen anything like it. He's more successful than both Kobe and Shaq after they broke up with one another, and he's still got about three more years to add to his legacy.

2013 CSFMB ROY