Post subject: Re: Boogie and Brow
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:13 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
long time guy wrote:
They will be top 5 in the West by the end of next season. This trade instantly makes them better.

I'll disagree with all of that. We'll see. At first glance it looks like Hakeem/Ralph but I'm not sure those two will work well together in a guard oriented league.

Anthony Davis is a four. Ralph and Akeem were both Centers. Jrue Holiday is a solid guard also. This team should creep into the playoffs.

They won't because the coach sucks.

"Bad coaches can't make the playoffs in the NBA" is a pretty bad assertion.

I was more so responding to LTG's top 5 comment. To your point, yes bad coaches stumble into the playoffs. Hell one of the most incompetent coaches in the league might find himself in the playoffs in Chicago. But Gentry has made the playoffs twice in thirteen seasons as head coach. He's been fired mid-season more times than he's qualified for the playoffs, so him missing out again wouldn't be that surprising.

Gentry has done a better job of coaching the Pelicans than Thibs has done with coaching the Wolves. He was racked by injuries early and coaches a team with less talent (prior to Cousins) his record is better yet you think Thibs is great and he is terrible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
:lol: Weak shit yet again. Thibs is 7 games away from tying Gentry's win mark from last year and we've still got half a season left. Anyway this is about Gentry. I hate taking the focus away from your guy Thibs but we can't talk about him each and every time we talk about the league. I'm sorry but I'm sure they'll be other chances for you to indulge your obsession.

Gentry isn't doing shit with cousins and he'll be fired mid-season next year.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Gentry was handed the keys mid-season every time. He's never had a good roster, except for the Suns and the Pelicans (now). I've met him once before when he was an assistant under Terry Porter. A lot of Suns players hated Porter, mostly Nash. Gentry's personable and knows how to communicate. Everyone in the NBA respects him. The 2009-2010 Suns team had very little expectations. They beat the Spurs for the first time and played a hard 6 game series against the Lakers in the WCF. After that season, the roster changed dramatically. Gentry decided it was time to leave.

Last edited by Ron Wolfley on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:46 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
:lol: Weak shit yet again. Thibs is 7 games away from tying Gentry's win mark from last year and we've still got half a season left. Anyway this is about Gentry. I hate taking the focus away from your guy Thibs but we can't talk about him each and every time we talk about the league. I'm sorry but I'm sure they'll be other chances for you to indulge your obsession.

Gentry isn't doing shit with cousins and he'll be fired mid-season next year.
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
long time guy wrote:
They will be top 5 in the West by the end of next season. This trade instantly makes them better.

I'll disagree with all of that. We'll see. At first glance it looks like Hakeem/Ralph but I'm not sure those two will work well together in a guard oriented league.

Anthony Davis is a four. Ralph and Akeem were both Centers. Jrue Holiday is a solid guard also. This team should creep into the playoffs.

They won't because the coach sucks.

"Bad coaches can't make the playoffs in the NBA" is a pretty bad assertion.

I was more so responding to LTG's top 5 comment. To your point, yes bad coaches stumble into the playoffs. Hell one of the most incompetent coaches in the league might find himself in the playoffs in Chicago. But Gentry has made the playoffs twice in thirteen seasons as head coach. He's been fired mid-season more times than he's qualified for the playoffs, so him missing out again wouldn't be that surprising.

You hate talking Thibs yet you have no problem invoking Hoiberg''s name every chance you get. I bring up Thibs to demonstrate hypocrisy and inconsistency. You are now up to bashing two coaches that currently have better records. That makes little sense.

Last edited by long time guy on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:49 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
Gentry was handed the keys mid-season every time. He's never had a good roster, except for the Suns and the Pelicans (now). I've met him once before when he was an assistant under Terry Porter. A lot of Suns players hated Porter, mostly Nash. Gentry's personable and knows how to communicate. Everyone in the NBA respects him. The 2009-2010 Suns team had very little expectations. They beat the Spurs for the first time and played a hard 6 game series against the Lakers in the WCF.

Never let the facts get into the way of a message board narrative. He is also the architect of the G.S offense that everyone loves so much.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:50 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
Gentry was handed the keys mid-season every time. He's never had a good roster, except for the Suns and the Pelicans (now). I've met him once before when he was an assistant under Terry Porter. A lot of Suns players hated Porter, mostly Nash. Gentry's personable and knows how to communicate. Everyone in the NBA respects him. The 2009-2010 Suns team had very little expectations. They beat the Spurs for the first time and played a hard 6 game series against the Lakers in the WCF. After that season, the roster changed dramatically. Gentry decided it was time to leave.

Plenty of nice guys who don't know how to coach. I can only point to the record. 46 percent out of nearly 800. Don't know what else I can say. Nice season in 2009 I admit but that's pretty much it. 30-52 last year.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:51 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Gentry was handed the keys mid-season every time. He's never had a good roster, except for the Suns and the Pelicans (now). I've met him once before when he was an assistant under Terry Porter. A lot of Suns players hated Porter, mostly Nash. Gentry's personable and knows how to communicate. Everyone in the NBA respects him. The 2009-2010 Suns team had very little expectations. They beat the Spurs for the first time and played a hard 6 game series against the Lakers in the WCF.

Never let the facts get into the way of a message board narrative. He is also the architect of the G.S offense that everyone loves so much.

What facts are you talking about? Nothing more factual than a record. Have you seen his? It's very clear GS misses Gentry.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:52 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

Plenty of nice guys who don't know how to coach. I can only point to the record. 46 percent out of nearly 800. Don't know what else I can say. Nice season in 2009 I admit but that's pretty much it. 30-52 last year.

And he didn't come in mid-season every time.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Poor vegan. Knows so little about the NBA he can't even recognize the coaching greatness of one Alvin Gentry

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:54 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

What facts are you talking about? Nothing more factual than a record. Have you seen his? It's very clear GS misses Gentry.

When you take over shit teams with little talent you are likely to have a bad record. Bad coaching is such when you have talented teams that underperforms. Gentry has coached teams that have never been predicted to do anything. That is based on talent and not bad coaching.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
veganfan21 wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

And he didn't come in mid-season every time.

3 out of the 4 times. Exception is the Clippers.

40% of those 800 games were spent coaching the early 2000 Clippers and the recent Pelicans.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:00 pm 

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

When you take over shit teams with little talent you are likely to have a bad record. Bad coaching is such when you have talented teams that underperforms. Gentry has coached teams that have never been predicted to do anything. That is based on talent and not bad coaching.

Gentry was hired to professionalize the young clippers teams of the early 2000s. He achieved modest success during his second season then regressed in the third before being fired. He also coached the grant Hill pistons and didn't really foster that team's growth. Like wolf said Phoenix gutted the roster under Gentry so that's whatever. But he's got a large sample size and his 54 percent loss rate is not entirely due to bad rosters.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:20 pm 

By the way, the Pelicans made the playoffs the year before Gentry was hired by going 45-37. I don't remember what happened during Gentry's first year in terms of injuries but everyone knows they finished 15 games worse than the year prior. Even if you write off that year due to injuries, they're still nowhere close this year to duplicating the 45-37 record they had just before Gentry was hired, and this is with a more developed Davis.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:15 pm 

If the Bulls make the playoffs vegan is getting an Alvin Gentry avatar

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:06 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
By the way, the Pelicans made the playoffs the year before Gentry was hired by going 45-37. I don't remember what happened during Gentry's first year in terms of injuries but everyone knows they finished 15 games worse than the year prior. Even if you write off that year due to injuries, they're still nowhere close this year to duplicating the 45-37 record they had just before Gentry was hired, and this is with a more developed Davis.

Games Played by their top 4 players from last season

Tyreke Evans. 25 game

Eric Gordon 45 games

Anthony Davis 61 Games

Jrue Holiday 65 Games

That has more to with their 30 game season than anything.

They also have had a number of injuries to start this season plus they allowed Gordon an Anderson to walk.

Gentry has had them playing close to .500 over their past 45 games.

They will make the playoffs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:04 am 

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Tyreke Evans. 25 game

Eric Gordon 45 games

Anthony Davis 61 Games

Jrue Holiday 65 Games

They also have had a number of injuries to start this season plus they allowed Gordon an Anderson to walk.

Again with meaningless and borderline intellectually dishonest arguments. "past 45 games" is meaningless when you've played 52 or whatever games. They're under 500 in total and so far their record mirrors Gentry's career record. Not surprising. I doubt they'll make the playoffs and firmly believe they'll never be a top 5 team next year like you claimed. That ain't happening under Gentry. I stand by my prediction that he'll be gone next season, either mid-season or afterwards. He unfortunately won't live up to the high expectations this trade created for the team.

FavreFan wrote:

:lol: I don't despise him like I do Hoiberg. I'm just not impressed. I didn't like his hire at the time. If he does well then great. I'll gladly admit I was dead wrong.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:22 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Tyreke Evans. 25 game

Eric Gordon 45 games

Anthony Davis 61 Games

Jrue Holiday 65 Games

Again with meaningless and borderline intellectually dishonest arguments. "past 45 games" is meaningless when you've played 52 or whatever games. They're under 500 in total and so far their record mirrors Gentry's career record. Not surprising. I doubt they'll make the playoffs and firmly believe they'll never be a top 5 team next year like you claimed. That ain't happening under Gentry. I stand by my prediction that he'll be gone next season, either mid-season or afterwards. He unfortunately won't live up to the high expectations this trade created for the team.

FavreFan wrote:

:lol: I don't despise him like I do Hoiberg. I'm just not impressed. I didn't like his hire at the time. If he does well then great. I'll gladly admit I was dead wrong.

The Pelicans have been injured for the majority of his time as coach. This is the hypocrisy an inconsistency of moSt of what you spew during basketball discussions. You readily give Thibs a pass even though until recently he had a completely healthy team. You stated that they would be better than that terrible Hoi berg coached Bulls team out the gate. Hasn't happened.

Now you bash Gentry even though his team has been injured for the duration of time he has been there. No one in their right mind can effectively evaluate the job he has done based on that.

The past 45 games are relevant because they started the season with a number of injured players. Everyone knows that with the exception of you.

Your guy gets a pass and is allowed time to "bring guys along slowly" and the guy whose team is where they were predicted to be is bashed incessantly as a "terrible"coach. The other guy has coached the most injured team in the league is labeled as a terrible coach too. Based on what record? His record is better than Thibs this season despite injuries an defections. None of that is taken into account.

As far Thibs obsession goes that needs to be put to rest also. The only reason Thibs talk is dead around here is because his team stinks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:22 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Tyreke Evans. 25 game

Eric Gordon 45 games

Anthony Davis 61 Games

Jrue Holiday 65 Games

FavreFan wrote:

The Pelicans have been injured for the majority of his time as coach. This is the hypocrisy an inconsistency of moSt of what you spew during basketball discussions. You readily give Thibs a pass even though until recently he had a completely healthy team. You stated that they would be better than that terrible Hoi berg coached Bulls team out the gate. Hasn't happened.

Now you bash Gentry even though his team has been injured for the duration of time he has been there. No one in their right mind can effectively evaluate the job he has done based on that.

The past 45 games are relevant because they started the season with a number of injured players. Everyone knows that with the exception of you.

Your guy gets a pass and is allowed time to "bring guys along slowly" and the guy whose team is where they were predicted to be is bashed incessantly as a "terrible"coach. The other guy has coached the most injured team in the league is labeled as a terrible coach too. Based on what record? His record is better than Thibs this season despite injuries an defections. None of that is taken into account.

As far Thibs obsession goes that needs to be put to rest also. The only reason Thibs talk is dead around here is because his team stinks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:33 am 

I can't help you with Hoiberg because you have a scout's view of the game. What I mean by that is you focus on the details and miss the bigger picture because a scout has tunnel vision. I'm wrong so far on the Wolves being better than the Bulls record wise, but over the long term Thibs will be more of a success than Hoiberg. I already said we can write off last year for Gentry and pointing out someone's mediocre record is not bashing him. They're at least ten under 500 right now. Let's see where they end up. My guess is under 500.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:41 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
I can't help you with Hoiberg because you have a scout's view of the game. What I mean by that is you focus on the details and miss the bigger picture because a scout has tunnel vision. I'm wrong so far on the Wolves being better than the Bulls record wise, but over the long term Thibs will be more of a success than Hoiberg. I already said we can write off last year for Gentry and pointing out someone's mediocre record is not bashing him. They're at least ten under 500 right now. Let's see where they end up. My guess is under 500.

They started 0-8 I believe. That was due to injuries. I don't recall you writing off last season either. You compared their prior seasons record to it.

As far as Hoiberg the Wolves should be better going forward because they have the better roster going forward. Thibs has nothing to do with players currently on the team besides Dunn who looks like a flop.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:59 am 

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

They started 0-8 I believe. That was due to injuries. I don't recall you writing off last season either. You compared their prior seasons record to it.

As far as Hoiberg the Wolves should be better going forward because they have the better roster going forward. Thibs has nothing to do with players currently on the team besides Dunn who looks like a flop.

I compared the year prior to Gentry's first year to this year. They were 45-37 before Gentry, then a write off year under Gentry, now they're 23-34 or something. Does every team that suffers injuries go 0-8? You're mighty generous with the pelicans injuries and performance than you were with the MVP of the league missing 1.5 seasons for Thibs. But I digress. For.the 100th time, coaching matters. No disrespect to you, but if you're coaching the Warriors you're not going to go 73-9 or even 50-32 with all that talent.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I'd be surprised if New Orleans didn't grab the 8 seed, maybe 7th..only 2 games back for the 8 seed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:26 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

I compared the year prior to Gentry's first year to this year. They were 45-37 before Gentry, then a write off year under Gentry, now they're 23-34 or something. Does every team that suffers injuries go 0-8? You're mighty generous with the pelicans injuries and performance than you were with the MVP of the league missing 1.5 seasons for Thibs. But I digress. For.the 100th time, coaching matters. No disrespect to you, but if you're coaching the Warriors you're not going to go 73-9 or even 50-32 with all that talent.

Coaching doesn't matter to the degree that you place on it because if it did the TWolves wouldn't be 13 games under .500. You can't say that Thibs is the second best coach in the league yet have his talented team play as bad as they've looked this year. Very few coaches can compensate for poor talent. I cited injuries and defections as the reason they started 0-8. Davis has been out this year and so has Holiday. ONce they have returned they started playing better. Gentry didn't all of a sudden become a better coach. He simply got his guys back.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
long time guy wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
long time guy wrote:

The Rockets were my team. Ralph may have looked like a center but he played best as a 4. Top of the key shooter. Watch them at their best. They are very similar to these two. The difference is Cousins is not as athletic as Hakeem while Davis is a better player long term than Ralph. The Rockets RAN too. Despite the two bigs. I don't see them matching up with any guard oriented team.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:44 am 

City of Fools wrote:
long time guy wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
long time guy wrote:

The Rockets were my team. Ralph may have looked like a center but he played best as a 4. Top of the key shooter. Watch them at their best. They are very similar to these two. The difference is Cousins is not as athletic as Hakeem while Davis is a better player long term than Ralph. The Rockets RAN too. Despite the two bigs. I don't see them matching up with any guard oriented team.

They played Sampson as a 4 out of necessity but they realized that he was a Center skill wise and determined that they couldn't continue to play them together. That is why they eventually traded Sampson. He had some perimeter in his game but I guess he probably couldn't guard 4's. Also the whole stretch thing wasn't in and watching a 7'4 guy launch from deep wasn't considered a good idea. I was young then but I remember the debate being based on which one do you keep long term because both are centers.

Davis is a 4 that can play some backup Center. If he has to play primarily as a Center they are in trouble. He can't take the all that banging down low.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:51 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
312player wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
It puts in perspective what Butler's worth ....or does it?

Cousins is due $200M and has a ton of baggage. Butler is locked into a Chris Sale-esque contract and, in comparison, a choir boy.

Butler's value in a trade should be higher than Cousins.

Paxson turned down a Salesque deal, Jimmy is maxed out now because Pax is a fuckin dummy. I believe Butler is a FA a year after Cousins, both will get the new max at that time.

Yeah they could have gotten him for about $55M. He wanted $60M but Pax wouldn't budge past $48M.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
long time guy wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
long time guy wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
long time guy wrote:

They played Sampson as a 4 out of necessity but they realized that he was a Center skill wise and determined that they couldn't continue to play them together. That is why they eventually traded Sampson. He had some perimeter in his game but I guess he probably couldn't guard 4's. Also the whole stretch thing wasn't in and watching a 7'4 guy launch from deep wasn't considered a good idea. I was young then but I remember the debate being based on which one do you keep long term because both are centers.

Davis is a 4 that can play some backup Center. If he has to play primarily as a Center they are in trouble. He can't take the all that banging down low.

first, they traded Sampson because he had a bad fall in 86 and there was speculation that his knee had gotten messed up. Secondly, he was viewed as a lazy player and a malcontent who was affecting Hakeem. Third, they traded him because they thought they might lose Lloyd and Wiggins and at the time they also thought they were losing Reid. It was a bad trade for the Rockets, short sighted and stupid, even though Sampson did eventually have his knee and back problems. Hakeem and Ralph played well together...they destroyed my team. Just Breathing Carrol. Oy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:17 pm 

long time guy wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
long time guy wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
long time guy wrote:

How much banging down low do you see in today's game? This isn't 1996.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Nas wrote:
312player wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
It puts in perspective what Butler's worth ....or does it?

Cousins is due $200M and has a ton of baggage. Butler is locked into a Chris Sale-esque contract and, in comparison, a choir boy.

Butler's value in a trade should be higher than Cousins.

Paxson turned down a Salesque deal, Jimmy is maxed out now because Pax is a fuckin dummy. I believe Butler is a FA a year after Cousins, both will get the new max at that time.

Yeah they could have gotten him for about $55M. He wanted $60M but Pax wouldn't budge past $48M.

Butler being maxed out now is still a great contract relative to the rest of the league since he was maxed out in 2015 rather than 2016 or later.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:11 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
long time guy wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
long time guy wrote:

How much banging down low do you see in today's game? This isn't 1996.

Doesn't take much for Davis. He is a little brittle.