It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

If you're a Jackson guy over Krause, shouldn't you agree that Krause was more important for the simple fact that Krause hired him when nobody in the NBA was thinking of him as a head coach?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:31 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Beardown wrote:
No. Phil's ass wanted out. Jordan wanted to quit as well.

I wonder why that was :scratch:

Phil wanted Krause's job and Reinsdorf wasn't giving it to him.

No. I don't think it was that. Phil just knew they were old and was waiting for the next big landing spot with young players. He got it.

No, a common narrative back then was just that. And Jordan endorsed it if iirc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:33 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Both of them were arrogant jackasses with wildly over inflated senses of their own importance.

History will remember little lasting about either of them imo. And remember that Tex Winter and John Bach were more integral to the Bulls' and that The Logo put together the Lakers

Winter and Bach, maybe both, followed Jackson to LA, but the narrative is PJ is the one chasing success instead of creating it. Hmm...

West put together the Lakers. They were extremely talented at one point with Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones, Kobe, Shaq, and a few others. Rings? Zero. Then they hire Phil and win three straight. Coincidence? Maybe they should have hired Doug Collins and almost won three rings in a row.

Phil was the media lights butterfly, Krause was the paranoid control freak. Each had an unnaturally gifted and driven star that I firmly believe that would have won titles with a solid coach not named Phil.

That having been said, Phil did (correctly) receive more credit, justifiably. But, Phil was largely superfluous in LA, imo
was Dell Harris not a "solid coach"?

Not in status driven LA he wasn't

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Kobe was in the league for what, like three seasons before Phil showed up? It's hilarious that some of you are like "well, Kobe never won before Phil showed up"

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
If Krause looked like Theo Epstein this wouldn't even be a conversation.

There's truth to that, no doubt.

However, Krause's way of doing business (which may have been a Reinsdorf mandate) did him no favors with the media nor the public.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Beardown wrote:
If you're a Jackson guy over Krause, shouldn't you agree that Krause was more important for the simple fact that Krause hired him when nobody in the NBA was thinking of him as a head coach?

As I said in another thread Krause get credit for Jackson, Pippen and Grant along with Cartwright, Rodman, Kukoc and all of Jordan's "supporting cast". All huge in his favor. He gets dinged for the fact that the greatest player in NBA history was already in place and he failed miserably in his post-Jordan re-build starting with Tim Floyd and continuing through the young guns, Coach Cartwright etc. Had he returned the team to just a contender I'm sure he would be viewed differently.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:59 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Kobe was in the league for what, like three seasons before Phil showed up? It's hilarious that some of you are like "well, Kobe never won before Phil showed up"

That's not the point. Both Shaq and Kobe were at their best and didn't win with a respected coach. Jackson came on board and they went on a tear. I'm not saying it wouldn't have happened to some degree with a different coach but it didn't and he gets some of the credit. In the end he was the Head Coach of 11 NBA champions. That doesn't happen by luck. Even if he is a pud he deserves to be considered one of the greatest coaches in NBA history.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:01 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Beardown wrote:

As I said in another thread Krause get credit for Jackson, Pippen and Grant along with Cartwright, Rodman, Kukoc and all of Jordan's "supporting cast". All huge in his favor. He gets dinged for the fact that the greatest player in NBA history was already in place and he failed miserably in his post-Jordan re-build starting with Tim Floyd and continuing through the young guns, Coach Cartwright etc. Had he returned the team to just a contender I'm sure he would be viewed differently.

I remember reading way back when, that Krause was adamant about taking Joe Wolfe over Grant and that it was Doug Collins who went to Reinsdorf and pleaded with him to pick Grant.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:01 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

That's not the point. Both Shaq and Kobe were at their best and didn't win with a respected coach. Jackson came on board and they went on a tear. I'm not saying it wouldn't have happened to some degree with a different coach but it didn't and he gets some of the credit. In the end he was the Head Coach of 11 NBA champions. That doesn't happen by luck. Even if he is a pud he deserves to be considered one of the greatest coaches in NBA history.

Kobe was at his best in his 3rd season? :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I don't know who deserves more credit honestly. I do think Krause deserves more credit than he gets and Jackson deserves less than he gets though.

How so? To me they equally get credit in proportion to the role they played: Krause gets credit for acquiring players that proved to be of some use to a championship squad. Jackson gets credit for optimizing the talents and skills of the players Krause acquired so they could win games and championships. Moving away from Krause, making Kobe and Shaq work when they were both 20 somethings with massive egos and competing agendas is a modern day management miracle.

They don't get credited equally. Just look at the way you colored your statement. "...Players that proved to be of some use to a championship squad." Meaning every player except Jordan. Jordan could have been like a ton of other great players that never won a damn thing if Krause had not surrounded him with the right guys, including, not insignificantly, Phil "Backstabbin'" Jackson. Phil was driving the bus for the Albany Patroons and had a reputation as a flaky hippie loser when Krause pulled him off the scrap heap. And how did Phil thank Krause? By constantly petitioning Reinsdorf for Krause's job.

Phil is three things- an obnoxious pseudo-intellectual, a backstabbing phony, and a great coach of the best players in the game.

I actually didn't mean to take an underhanded dig at Krause, but I definitely see how it came off that way. Let me rephrase: I give Krause full credit for building the championship teams the way he did. He lusted after Kukoc, got him, and was validated immediately. He also had a lot of underrated moves, like signing Bison Dele, James Edwards (to foul Shaq, essentially), and replacing Grant with Rodman. There were other deft moves as well.

I don't think Phil's backdoor schemes or whatever, particularly those that weren't motivated by Krause's own piss poor conduct, are relevant to the question of credit. Phil fused that team together and harnessed MJ's talents in order to turn that team into a perennial contender. Krause picked great ingredients and PJ turned all of that into something special - the credit can equally go both ways.

FavreFan wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

FF I don't think your point about Kobe helps your argument. Kobe won nothing without Phil during his first three years...fine. Then Phil comes along and Kobe wins three rings. Phil leaves and Kobe wins nothing for years. Phil returns and Kobe wins two more rings.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:09 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Beardown wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Beardown wrote:
I've always said that Krause was more important than Jackson. Said it while they were winning championships.

Now it's popular to say that after Krause dies and Jackson is a dumb ass GM/President with the Knicks.

If Krause doesn't hire Jackson, Jackson is nothing. He owes his life to Krause.

Plus Phil is just a piece of shit person. Always felt that way about him. Dumped his wife when he made it big and got money, arrogant piece of shit. And pretends to be smarter than he actually is. With his Zen bullshit. He tries to sound smart but often ends up sounding stupid when he speaks.

Jackson has five more rings as a coach than Krause does as a GM. Krause was also dumped five years after he let PJ walk.

Well, if Krause got hired as GM of the Lakers when Phil got that coaching job, they would be tied.

And if Phil coached the Bulls after the break up, Phil would still have 6.

Yup. Phil quits on teams and organizations and then comes back when the talent has been replenished. And during his hiatuses he tends to write books talking shit about players that have won him 5 of those 11 rings.
Nice spin but Phil was shown the door (Jerry pined for Tim Floyd) and wisely took the best open position the following season. The Lakers had somehow failed to win a championship under a well respected Dell Harris yet immediately went on a run with essentially the same team under a new coach. Not sure how that fits the narrative of "coming back when the talent has been replenished".

That's spin right there. Phil and Jordan decided that they weren't coming back. Didn't they even nickname the season "The Last Waltz"? Of course that was Baby Boomer Phil.

Why weren't they coming back? Why did Jackson, Pippen, Jordan, and either Bach or Winters, or maybe both, hate Krause? Were they all hating Krause for arbitrary reasons?

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:10 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Both of them were arrogant jackasses with wildly over inflated senses of their own importance.

History will remember little lasting about either of them imo. And remember that Tex Winter and John Bach were more integral to the Bulls' and that The Logo put together the Lakers

Winter and Bach, maybe both, followed Jackson to LA, but the narrative is PJ is the one chasing success instead of creating it. Hmm...

West put together the Lakers. They were extremely talented at one point with Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones, Kobe, Shaq, and a few others. Rings? Zero. Then they hire Phil and win three straight. Coincidence? Maybe they should have hired Doug Collins and almost won three rings in a row.

Phil was the media lights butterfly, Krause was the paranoid control freak. Each had an unnaturally gifted and driven star that I firmly believe that would have won titles with a solid coach not named Phil.

That having been said, Phil did (correctly) receive more credit, justifiably. But, Phil was largely superfluous in LA, imo

Phil won five rings during two different eras in LA. How was his presence "superfluous" in LA when he's the common denominator?

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:11 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I don't know who deserves more credit honestly. I do think Krause deserves more credit than he gets and Jackson deserves less than he gets though.

How so? To me they equally get credit in proportion to the role they played: Krause gets credit for acquiring players that proved to be of some use to a championship squad. Jackson gets credit for optimizing the talents and skills of the players Krause acquired so they could win games and championships. Moving away from Krause, making Kobe and Shaq work when they were both 20 somethings with massive egos and competing agendas is a modern day management miracle.

They don't get credited equally. Just look at the way you colored your statement. "...Players that proved to be of some use to a championship squad." Meaning every player except Jordan. Jordan could have been like a ton of other great players that never won a damn thing if Krause had not surrounded him with the right guys, including, not insignificantly, Phil "Backstabbin'" Jackson. Phil was driving the bus for the Albany Patroons and had a reputation as a flaky hippie loser when Krause pulled him off the scrap heap. And how did Phil thank Krause? By constantly petitioning Reinsdorf for Krause's job.

Phil is three things- an obnoxious pseudo-intellectual, a backstabbing phony, and a great coach of the best players in the game.

I actually didn't mean to take an underhanded dig at Krause, but I definitely see how it came off that way. Let me rephrase: I give Krause full credit for building the championship teams the way he did. He lusted after Kukoc, got him, and was validated immediately. He also had a lot of underrated moves, like signing Bison Dele, James Edwards (to foul Shaq, essentially), and replacing Grant with Rodman. There were other deft moves as well.

I don't think Phil's backdoor schemes or whatever, particularly those that weren't motivated by Krause's own piss poor conduct, are relevant to the question of credit. Phil fused that team together and harnessed MJ's talents in order to turn that team into a perennial contender. Krause picked great ingredients and PJ turned all of that into something special - the credit can equally go both ways.

FavreFan wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

FF I don't think your point about Kobe helps your argument. Kobe won nothing without Phil during his first three years...fine. Then Phil comes along and Kobe wins three rings. Phil leaves and Kobe wins nothing for years. Phil returns and Kobe wins two more rings.

Smush Parker and Kwame Brown were like two of the four best players on the team in those in between years. A lot of you guys are being pretty disingenuous with your arguments in this thread.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:14 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

FavreFan wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Smush Parker and Kwame Brown were like two of the four best players on the team in those in between years. A lot of you guys are being pretty disingenuous with your arguments in this thread.

What's disingenuous? I'm not even clear on what your position is. Either you believe Phil played an integral role in each of his 11 championships as a coach, or you believe he was insanely, and improbably, lucky, as Zippy said. I believe the latter point of view is simply an untenable position, if not laughable.

2013 CSFMB ROY

Last edited by veganfan21 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:18 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

He was an All star in 1998. If you want to be literal I would agree he was better in later years but my point was he was already known to be a great player. He peaked while Jackson was his coach. Just as Jordan and Pippen did.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:19 pm 

He was a great coach. Of course he played a part. I'm saying your argument that Kobe didn't win anything without Phil is a pretty bad one. He was in his first three seasons at first, then in his prime but with the worst supporting cast in recent history, and then at the tail end of his career with a horrible surrounding cast. Your argument leaves all of that context out and seems to credit Phil more than he deserves, which goes back to my first post in this thread.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:21 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

He was an All star in 1998. If you want to be literal I would agree he was better in later years but my point was he was already known to be a great player. He peaked while Jackson was his coach. Just as Jordan and Pippen did.

It's not being literal though. There is a huge and significant difference between 1998 Kobe, 2002 Kobe, 2006 Kobe, and 2008 Kobe.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:25 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

It's not being literal though. There is a huge and significant difference between 1998 Kobe, 2002 Kobe, 2006 Kobe, and 2008 Kobe.
thats true. Jackson made him a better player. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:47 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
He was a great coach. Of course he played a part. I'm saying your argument that Kobe didn't win anything without Phil is a pretty bad one. He was in his first three seasons at first, then in his prime but with the worst supporting cast in recent history, and then at the tail end of his career with a horrible surrounding cast. Your argument leaves all of that context out and seems to credit Phil more than he deserves, which goes back to my first post in this thread.

Kobe on Phil:

In my opinion, he’s the greatest coach in any profession. Ever." (2016)

The people in New York just need to trust the fact that he knows more about the game than any of them put together. (2016)

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/kobe ... son-031416

His philosophy of the game and philosophy on life is something I’ve adopted, Bryant said. I carry it with me.

He has a great knack for bringing guys together, because his message is always the same

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2016031 ... close-bond

I was very stubborn. I was like a wild horse that had the potential to become Secretariat but who was just too f---ing wild. So part of that was him trying to tame me. He’s also very intelligent and he understood the dynamic he had to deal with between me and Shaq.
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... -1.2119067

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:16 pm 

Beardown wrote:
I'll make the argument that if Krause got the Lakers GM job when Phil went there, they'd have more than the 5 that Phil got there. They lost a couple of times when they shouldn't have.

Two immediately come to mind Pop outcoached the he'll out of him during one of the earlier Championships won by the Spurs. Larry Brown did also with Detroit. He should have 2 more in the books for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
veganfan21 wrote:
Why weren't they coming back? Why did Jackson, Pippen, Jordan, and either Bach or Winters, or maybe both, hate Krause? Were they all hating Krause for arbitrary reasons?

Phil thought he deserved Krause's job.

Jordan was nearing the end. Bulls fans like to fantasize that they would have just kept winning forever. Maybe they had one more in them. Maybe. Jordan hated Krause since 1986 anyway.

Pippen mistakenly thought the Bulls fucked him.

Bach left after the first threepeat and Winter was about 90 years old.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:43 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Jordan was nearing the end. Bulls fans like to fantasize that they would have just kept winning forever. Maybe they had one more in them. Maybe. Jordan hated Krause since 1986 anyway.

Jack Silverstein wrote that Phil wanted to break the team up in 95 because he had some crazy ass theory about breaking teams up after a certain amount of years.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:46 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Jack Silverstein wrote that Phil wanted to break the team up in 95 because he had some crazy ass theory about breaking teams up after a certain amount of years.

Yeah that was crazy when he actually did that, or even mentioned that at all. Phil's list of hypothetical misdeeds and crazy ass theories is long as hell. How did he ever stay employed as coach?

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:50 pm 

I think what is killing your argument is that you aren't all that informed about that particular period in Bulls history. Phil Jackson played a role in the Bulls winning but of the 4 key people involved in winning he was 4th.

People didn't like Krause personally and it is simply easier to dismiss him. Jackson was a snake that backdoored Doug Collins in order to get his job

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:55 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Beardown wrote:
I'll make the argument that if Krause got the Lakers GM job when Phil went there, they'd have more than the 5 that Phil got there. They lost a couple of times when they shouldn't have.

Two immediately come to mind Pop outcoached the he'll out of him during one of the earlier Championships won by the Spurs. Larry Brown did also with Detroit. He should have 2 more in the books for sure.

Tough playing the woulda coulda shoulda game though. If Derek Fisher doesn't make the luckiest shot in NBA history the Spurs have 6 rings right now.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:56 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Tough playing the woulda coulda shoulda game though. If Derek Fisher doesn't make the luckiest shot in NBA history the Spurs have 6 rings right now.

My point is that he got out coached in 2 series in which the Lakers were decidedly the favorite.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:02 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Beardown wrote:

I remember reading way back when, that Krause was adamant about taking Joe Wolfe over Grant and that it was Doug Collins who went to Reinsdorf and pleaded with him to pick Grant.

Yep. Collins was a helluva coach. They were nowhere ready to win when he was coach yet he dragged them to the 2nd round. His upset of Cleveland was one of the biggest upsets of the decade.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:06 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Yep. Collins was a helluva coach. They were nowhere ready to win when he was coach yet he dragged them to the 2nd round. His upset of Cleveland was one of the biggest upsets of the decade.

And weren't there always whispers about Collins' night life and wasn't that one of the main reasons the Bull moved on from him?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:09 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Beardown wrote:

And weren't there always whispers about Collins' night life and wasn't that one of the main reasons the Bull moved on from him?

Yeah he was dude known to fuck with the chicks. There was also a rumor that he was nailing Reinsdorfs wife or some shit back then

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:15 pm 

This has been a very interesting read and I think several people make some good points.

Collins was a very good coach, but he was too much of a maniac to take the Bulls any further. They would have probably won a couple championships with Collins, but they would have not have had 2 three peats with him. Things would have imploded.

Jackson was the perfect fit for that team at that time. Krause deserves a ton of credit for that selection, as well as for assembling that team. The choice of Pippen alone was a game changer.

IMO they both deserve a ton of credit. They were both great at the jobs. I don't think you can really put one over the other. They were both vital.

Phil parlayed his success in Chicago with the LA gig and I think he has to be given credit for being able to lead them to something they were not able to do with other coaches. Phil did seem to have the knack for being at the right spot at the right time. As far as an X and O coach I would easily take Pop over him. But for all the other intangibles of coaching I would take Phil.

Krause took some hits for what happened when things blew up. But I don't think anyone would have done much better. Things were bound to be bad for awhile.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next