It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best PG since Magic?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:03 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Maybe Paul should get his team to a conference final before he's better than Nash or Stockton.

Paul has carried mediocre talent to the 2nd round before. Neither Nash nor Stockton has ever done that. He also has made 3 guys careers. West. Chandler. Now Deandre Jordan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

Derrick Rose before the ACL tear!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
badrogue17 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Maybe Paul should get his team to a conference final before he's better than Nash or Stockton.

Looks like spmack was right.

Well it's kinda hard to argue he's better than the all time assist leader and a multiple MVP at his position isnt it? The fact that theyre also white just make it sweeter .

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:24 pm 

RFDC wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Did Nash get a team to the conf finals?

3 times.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:33 pm 

The league blocked his trade to the Lakers because they were scared of the competitive advantage that it would provide. That goes a long way towards validating just how good he is.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:39 pm 

I'm willing to say Paul is better than Nash and on-par with Stockton, but there's a lot of revisionist history ;) going on here with Stockton. Stockton would have been a badass no matter who he played with. He was great both ways, shot a tremendous percentage for a point guard, and was a winner. Malone benefitted as much from Stockton as Stockton did Malone. Think about it - that dude was far and away the best perimeter player Utah had, and he went to-to-toe against Jordan, Pippen, and Ron Harper in consecutive Finals and didn't give an inch.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I think Stockton, Kidd, and Payton are all fantastic, HoF PGs. They're great. I'd just rather have Paul. Nash is overrated. Couldn't guard anybody. Duncan should've been 2005 MVP and Kobe 2006.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:47 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
I'm willing to say Paul is better than Nash and on-par with Stockton, but there's a lot of revisionist history ;) going on here with Stockton. Stockton would have been a badass no matter who he played with. He was great both ways, shot a tremendous percentage for a point guard, and was a winner. Malone benefitted as much from Stockton as Stockton did Malone. Think about it - that dude was far and away the best perimeter player Utah had, and he went to-to-toe against Jordan, Pippen, and Ron Harper in consecutive Finals and didn't give an inch.

I never saw Stockton dominate elite guards. When I think of all time guys I think of guys that dominated or decidely outplayed other elite players..

I also think you're under rating Hornacek. He was a solid 2 guard.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:49 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

Byron Russell gave up a couple feet. 8)

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Chris Paul is much better because he was the centerpiece of a big trade. Stockton never took control of forces beyond his control to become the centerpiece of a deal the way Paul never did, but still that says a lot about Paul.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:05 pm 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I never saw Stockton dominate elite guards. When I think of all time guys I think of guys that dominated or decidely outplayed other elite players..

I also think you're under rating Hornacek. He was a solid 2 guard.

He also didn't even start. I know that was part of Sloan's plan, but come on... Hornacek was a good scorer and not much else. He wasn't half the player Stockton was. I did forget Greg Ostertag, though. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
When talking PG's it Magic #1 and Stockton #2 and then you can debate everything else. Chris Paul isn't in that class and never will be. The numbers and actual winning says that. Stockton holds offensive and defensive records that will NEVER be broken and Chris Paul makes State Farm commercials.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:26 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Chris Paul is much better because he was the centerpiece of a big trade. Stockton never took control of forces beyond his control to become the centerpiece of a deal the way Paul never did, but still that says a lot about Paul.

This doesn't make sense and you miss the point. It has nothing to do with being part of a "big" trade. The league prevented the trade from going through because that they believed that Paul was "that good". If Paul weren't good they wouldn't have cared who have cared who he was traded for. They believed that the trade would virtually hand the title to the Lakers.

I don't believe that I can ever remember the league doing something like that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:27 pm 

Nas wrote:
When talking PG's it Magic #1 and Stockton #2 and then you can debate everything else. Chris Paul isn't in that class and never will be. The numbers and actual winning says that. Stockton holds offensive and defensive records that will NEVER be broken and Chris Paul makes State Farm commercials.

I love how GP, my favorite PG, said Stockton was the hardest person he ever had to guard or something. Don't know if that's a reasonable thing to say but it's cool to see Stockton get love from his peers, and especially one as dope as GP.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:28 pm 

Nas wrote:

John Stockton on his best day wasnt better than Isaiah Thomas.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

This doesn't make sense and you miss the point. It has nothing to do with being part of a "big" trade. The league prevented the trade from going through because that they believed that Paul was "that good". If Paul weren't good they wouldn't have cared who have cared who he was traded for. They believed that the trade would virtually hand the title to the Lakers.

I don't believe that I can ever remember the league doing something like that.

You never will hear of the league doing that again. They did it literally because they owned the team and other owners were bitching about them "helping" the Lakers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:

I love how GP, my favorite PG, said Stockton was the hardest person he ever had to guard or something. Don't know if that's a reasonable thing to say but it's cool to see Stockton get love from his peers, and especially one as dope as GP.

Always a big fan of Jason Kidd.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

Okay. You're wrong but I love Isiah too despite him apparently having the homosexual gene.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:

I think his peers definitely recognize how great he was. He wasn't flashy but he was consistently great for a very long time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:32 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:

So what happens when they're are quotes from NBA players that say the same thing about Paul? Will you ignore it because you don't agree which is very likely.

Pat Riley once said that over a 4 year stretch Isaiah Thomas played some of the best point guard that this league has ever seen. I'm guessing Stockton was included in that assessment.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:33 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:

Always a big fan of Jason Kidd.

GP vs Kidd is always a fun debate. GP

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:33 pm 

Nas wrote:

The numbers say Paul is better.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

What imaginary numbers?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:35 pm 

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:

So what happens when they're are quotes from NBA players that say the same thing about Paul? Will you ignore it because you don't agree which is very likely.

Pat Riley once said that over a 4 year stretch Isaiah Thomas played some of the best point guard that this league has ever seen. I'm guessing Stockton was included in that assessment.

I'm not taking part in the Paul debate. He's very good, obviously. The LA trade thing is irrelevant to any point anyone would try to make about him.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:38 pm 

Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

What imaginary numbers?

PER, WS/48, pretty much all the advanced metrics. Paul isn't done yet either and Stockton never won a title so the winning part isn't that relevant. It's not like he's played on 40 win teams his whole career.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:38 pm 

Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

Okay. You're wrong but I love Isiah too despite him apparently having the homosexual gene.

Who cares about that I don't and that's gossip anyway.

Isaiah Thomas was the best player on 2 NBA championship teams and dominated guys at his position. He came into the league and immediately established himself as a,great player. Made the All Star at 19 or 20 years old. He was considered to be a great player at every step of his basketball career.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:39 pm 

Can we call Westbrook a PG? If so, where does he rank?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:42 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
Can we call Westbrook a PG? If so, where does he rank?

The league never blocked a trade he was part of, so his status is not yet determined.

2013 CSFMB ROY

long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

Who cares about that I don't and that's gossip anyway.

Isaiah Thomas was the best player on 2 NBA championship teams and dominated guys at his position. He came into the league and immediately established himself as a,great player. Made the All Star at 19 or 20 years old. He was considered to be a great player at every step of his basketball career.

He was a cold-blooded assassin. That Finals game against the Lakers when he played on a bum ankle was one of the greatest performances ever.

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Nas wrote:

I'm not taking part in the Paul debate. He's very good, obviously. The LA trade thing is irrelevant to any point anyone would try to make about him.

It's relevant to those that keep saying he wasn't that good. The fact that the league blocked the trade validates that they believed that he was that good. That was an unprecedented move which makes it very relevant.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next