It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best PG since Magic?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I'd take GP over Paul too.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
FrankDrebin wrote:
Can we call Westbrook a PG? If so, where does he rank?

I guess he's a point guard, but I can't think of another PG that would shoot 4-18 in the 4th quarter of a close playoff game.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:45 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
When talking PG's it Magic #1 and Stockton #2 and then you can debate everything else. Chris Paul isn't in that class and never will be. The numbers and actual winning says that. Stockton holds offensive and defensive records that will NEVER be broken and Chris Paul makes State Farm commercials.

John Stockton on his best day wasnt better than Isaiah Thomas.

Okay. You're wrong but I love Isiah too despite him apparently having the homosexual gene.

Who cares about that I don't and that's gossip anyway.

Isaiah Thomas was the best player on 2 NBA championship teams and dominated guys at his position. He came into the league and immediately established himself as a,great player. Made the All Star at 19 or 20 years old. He was considered to be a great player at every step of his basketball career.

He was a cold-blooded assassin. That Finals game against the Lakers when he played on a bum ankle was one of the greatest performances ever.

Yep. Won 2 rings and I could easily make the argument that he could have won 4. Stared down 2 of the greatest teams of all time and never blinked.

100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
When talking PG's it Magic #1 and Stockton #2 and then you can debate everything else. Chris Paul isn't in that class and never will be. The numbers and actual winning says that. Stockton holds offensive and defensive records that will NEVER be broken and Chris Paul makes State Farm commercials.

Okay. You're wrong but I love Isiah too despite him apparently having the homosexual gene.

Isaiah Thomas was the best player on 2 NBA championship teams and dominated guys at his position. He came into the league and immediately established himself as a,great player. Made the All Star at 19 or 20 years old. He was considered to be a great player at every step of his basketball career.

It isn't gossip. Isiah's son Zeke is gay and has been raped multiple times.

For 10 years there wasn't a PG in the NBA better than Stockton and he holds all the important records.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

pizza_Place: It's gone
Just saw ESPN and they interviewed Paul after the game and the interviewer asked what they have to do next year, he says 'thats not my job'. Magic would have never said that. He would have been super pissed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:46 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:

I guess he's a point guard, but I can't think of another PG that would shoot 4-18 in the 4th quarter of a close playoff game.

Westbrook eats pieces of Rondo for breakfast.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

For 10 years there wasn't a PG in the NBA better than Stockton and he holds all the important records.

Do you think Emmitt Smith is better than Walter Payton or Jim Brown?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:47 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:

Gary Payton isn't in the conversation. Good guard Hall of Famer. Not the best guard of any era in which he participated. Seattle got better by trading him. Milwaukee got worse.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:48 pm 

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Gary Payton isn't in the conversation. Good guard Hall of Famer. Not the best guard of any era in which he participated. Seattle got better by trading him. Milwaukee got worse.

The wizards got better by losing MJ too.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I saw Gary Payton live. He was better than Paul any day. Payton was a great defender along with a great PG. He got a ring too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:49 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:

Westbrook eats pieces of Rondo for breakfast.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 pm 

Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

I don't know don't care. If that is the case then he should be locked up. Never heard it and it isn't relevant to him being a better point than Stockton.

Which 10 years were those because I must have missed it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
HawaiiYou wrote:
I saw Gary Payton live. He was better than Paul any day. Payton was a great defender along with a great PG. He got a ring too.

There were games that Glove dominated by using his mouth to take his opponent out of the game. He did a good job on MJ in the '96 Finals.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:52 pm 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

The numbers say Paul is better.

What imaginary numbers?

PER, WS/48, pretty much all the advanced metrics. Paul isn't done yet either and Stockton never won a title so the winning part isn't that relevant. It's not like he's played on 40 win teams his whole career.

Even if you play with advanced stats Stockton is still better. Unless Chris Paul retires today some of his numbers will also fall. Stockton played until he was 40. If you take his run from 25 to 35 it makes Chris Paul look like B.J. Armstrong. Winning matters even if you don't win a title. Stockton lost to the Jordan's and Hakeem's of the world and Chris Paul loses to George Hill.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:53 pm 

Pretty sure GP was the best PG in the league from about 95-99. Can't think of anyone else except for Stockton, Penny, and a young Ason Kidd.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:53 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:

Payton backdoored into an NBA championship. He was no where near the offensive player that Paul is. Paul made two franchises relevant. Payton was only ever good when he played with Seattle and during the period that they were good Shawn Kemp was the better player.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:54 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Yep. Won 2 rings and I could easily make the argument that he could have won 4. Stared down 2 of the greatest teams of all time and never blinked.

Yep, until he got his ass handed to him by MJ and did not have have the balls to stay on the court and shake hands with the winners.

He was great, but that was a punk move.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

I don't know don't care. If that is the case then he should be locked up. Never heard it and it isn't relevant to him being a better point than Stockton.

Which 10 years were those because I must have missed it.

Even though Isiah played a shorter career the advanced stats still favor Stockton. From 25 until 35 Stockton ruled the NBA for PG.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... kjo01.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:55 pm 

Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:

The numbers say Paul is better.

What imaginary numbers?

PER, WS/48, pretty much all the advanced metrics. Paul isn't done yet either and Stockton never won a title so the winning part isn't that relevant. It's not like he's played on 40 win teams his whole career.

Even if you play with advanced stats Stockton is still better. Unless Chris Paul retires today some of his numbers will also fall. Stockton played until he was 40. If you take his run from 25 to 35 it makes Chris Paul look like B.J. Armstrong. Winning matters even if you don't win a title. Stockton lost to the Jordan's and Hakeem's of the world and Chris Paul loses to George Hill.

How many playoff series has Stockton won without Malone? And Blake isn't close to Malone. So that's a poor argument to use. The winning argument falls flat if your guy didn't win a title. Didn't even get to the finals until late in his career and Paul isn't there yet.

I don't have to play with any numbers. We all have basketball reference. We can look up the advanced metrics and the stats per 100 possessions and compare them. Paul stands beside anyone from the past 30 years in those categories.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:56 pm 

RFDC wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Yep, until he got his ass handed to him by MJ and did not have have the balls to stay on the court and shake hands with the winners.

I could easily make the argument that he would have given the greatest pounds ever after that game.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:56 pm 

RFDC wrote:
long time guy wrote:

It was but it still doesn't exclude what he was as a player. Laimbeer orchestrated that move.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:58 pm 

long time guy wrote:
RFDC wrote:
long time guy wrote:

It was but it still doesn't exclude what he was as a player. Laimbeer orchestrated that move.

Not saying it does. But I just cannot forget it when talking about him. I don't care who orchestrated it. He should have been man enough as the leader of that team to stay on the court and give the winners their due.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:01 pm 

Nas you keep saying 25-35 he was "ruling" the NBA. Stockton would have been 25 in 87 or 88. Which NBA was he ruling in 87 or 88? The 4 years that Riley cited were those years and Stockton wasn't even in the conversation for best point.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:04 pm 

RFDC wrote:
long time guy wrote:
RFDC wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Not saying it does. But I just cannot forget it when talking about him. I don't care who orchestrated it. He should have been man enough as the leader of that team to stay on the court and give the winners their due.

It doesn't and shouldn't take away from the type of player he was.

Stockton was one of the dirtiest players in the league if we want to start talking about things like sportsmanship. He did a lot of illegal shit and it was spun as though he was simply being a "great competitor"

Last edited by long time guy on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:06 pm 

Again, I never said it took away from the type of player he was. I am in agreement with you on him. I would say it is Magic, Isiah, and Stockton as the top 3

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

FrankDrebin wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

Do you think Emmitt Smith is better than Walter Payton or Jim Brown?

He probably isn't in my top 10 RB list

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

veganfan21 wrote:

Completely agree. Chris Paul is overrated and he's playing in an era dominated by PG's.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:10 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Again, I never said it took away from the type of player he was. I am in agreement with you on him. I would say it is Magic, Isiah, and Stockton as the top 3

I will agree it was a punk move.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:11 pm 

Nas wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Completely agree. Chris Paul is overrated and he's playing in an era dominated by PG's.

Gary Payton was overrated. Below average offensive player. Couldn't shoot well and had terrible ball handling skills. As previously stated wasn't the best player on Seattle's team when they were good and they got better by trading him for Ray Allen. Never was really good for any other team after that.

Last edited by long time guy on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:13 pm 

Nas wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

And he's the best one. That's saying a lot

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next