It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

If they face S.A. next round does he guard Aldridge or Does he guard Simmons Dedmon or another of S.A.'s tomato cans forward/Centers?

Probably mostly Aldridge or Pau but he guards multiple guys depending on what the matchup or lineups call for.

Pau doesn't start anymore. I expect him to guard Dedmon or Simmons.

Huh? Pau started last game and Dedmon didn't even play.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:54 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

If they face S.A. next round does he guard Aldridge or Does he guard Simmons Dedmon or another of S.A.'s tomato cans forward/Centers?

Probably mostly Aldridge or Pau but he guards multiple guys depending on what the matchup or lineups call for.

Pau doesn't start anymore. I expect him to guard Dedmon or Simmons.

Huh? Pau started last game and Dedmon didn't even play.

My mistake on that. Last I saw Pau was coming off the bench. I will definitely watch tonight.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
If the Warriors played the '95-'96 Bulls, I would give Pippen 20, Jordan 40, Rodman 23 boards, and the Bulls would score 110.

For GS, I would say Curry shoots 3-13 for 9 points, Thompson gets 6 and fouls out in the third, Durant gets 28 but shoots 12-36, and Green gets his usual 8, 6, and 3 while being heralded as the glue who held the loss together. GS would finish with 71 points.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
leashyourkids wrote:
Green gets his usual 8, 6, and 3 while being heralded as the glue who held the loss together. GS would finish with 71 points.

:lol:

He'd try and kick Dickey Simpkins in the balls though to get his anger out.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
FavreFan wrote:
Walt Williams Neck wrote:

Because teams actually played defense?

If you don't think teams play defense in today's NBA try watching a Spurs game or Warriors game. If you still don't after that find a new sport to follow because you clearly don't know what you are watching.

Try watching the Spurs- Rockets I know what I'm watching

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:14 pm 

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs ... cc1067e83f

This is a decent article showing the value of centers who can shoot threes rather than post up.

Ltg, the Cavs or Warriors are winning the Finals this year. The Cavs shot the 2nd most amount of threes this year and the Warriors were fifth. Three point shooting isn't going away and teams are going to need to shoot a lot to win a title from now on.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:52 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-al-horford-boston-celtics-rise-of-stretch-5-68cc1067e83f

This is a decent article showing the value of centers who can shoot threes rather than post up.

Ltg, the Cavs or Warriors are winning the Finals this year. The Cavs shot the 2nd most amount of threes this year and the Warriors were fifth. Three point shooting isn't going away and teams are going to need to shoot a lot to win a title from now on.

I will check the article out but neither the Cavs nor G.S. has three point shooting Centers. Cleveland has the best player in the game and that helps more than the ability to shoot 3's. In tight situations that stuff costs. It killed G.S. in the finals last season. More so than the Green suspension. They were forcing the 3 point shot because after all that's how they play. I don't think that there has been one champion that featured a 3 point shooting center either.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 6:56 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-al-horford-boston-celtics-rise-of-stretch-5-68cc1067e83f

I will check the article out but neither the Cavs nor G.S. has three point shooting Centers. Cleveland has the best player in the game and that helps more than the ability to shoot 3's. In tight situations that stuff costs. It killed G.S. in the finals last season. More so than the Green suspension. They were forcing the 3 point shot because after all that's how they play. I don't think that there has been one champion that featured a 3 point shooting center either.

Draymond plays Center a lot, but my point isn't that three point shooting centers leads to winning. It's that shooting a lot of threes in general does. 4 of the top 5 teams with the most three point attempts this season are still playing, and 2 of them will meet in the Finals. This was the case last year as well. It will also be the case next year

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:06 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Draymond plays Center a lot, but my point isn't that three point shooting centers leads to winning. It's that shooting a lot of threes in general does. 4 of the top 5 teams with the most three point attempts this season are still playing, and 2 of them will meet in the Finals. This was the case last year as well. It will also be the case next year

That may have more to do with the lack of low post centers. I will start paying more attention to it next season. To me that was always bad basketball. If the game is going that way it's going that way but part of me still feels like G.S is more of an outlier than anything.

I still think a healthy Clippers team is the 2nd best team in the West and they don't shoot a lot of 3's. Washington is the 2nd best in the East and I don't think they shoot a high number either. Washington isn't record wise but they are going to dispense with Boston.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
FavreFan wrote:

It's time to enlarge the NBA court.

Guys nowadays are just too big and too good for the space allotted. And not to go all Big Chief Triangle, but the 3 has become too prevalent. And I say that as someone who enjoys high scoring, up temp basketball.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:11 pm 

Matches Malone wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Guys nowadays are just too big and too good for the space allotted. And not to go all Big Chief Triangle, but the 3 has become too prevalent. And I say that as someone who enjoys high scoring, up temp basketball.

Scoring avg. were higher in the 80''s and 90's because guys took better shots. You see a lot of guys driving and passing up layups so that they can kick out for 3's. In the 80''s and 90's that would be considered bad basketball. Not now with all of the analytics stuff going on.

Heard where D'Antoni hates the tear drop. Analytics says layups or 3's that's why.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:13 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Scoring avg. were higher in the 80''s and 90's because guys took better shots. You see a lot of guys driving and passing up layups so that they can kick out for 3's. In the 80''s and 90's that would be considered bad basketball. Not now with all of the analytics stuff going on.

Scoring averages were significantly lower in the 90's than today. In the 80's they still hadn't heard about defense yet

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:15 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Scoring averages were significantly lower in the 90's than today. In the 80's they still hadn't heard about defense yet

You may want to revisit that. Avg scoring is at 105 per. Scoring for this decade is less than what it was in the 90's when they still allowed hand checking.
If not less eerily similar.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:20 pm 

Teams averaged 105.6 ppg this year. In 1990-1991 teams averaged 106.3 ppg. Every other year in the 90's has a lower scoring average than this year. The 1998-1999 year teams average 91.6 ppg, the lowest scoring year in the last 50.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:23 pm 

Detlef Schrempf > Lamarcus Aldridge

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:53 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Teams averaged 105.6 ppg this year. In 1990-1991 teams averaged 106.3 ppg. Every other year in the 90's has a lower scoring average than this year. The 1998-1999 year teams average 91.6 ppg, the lowest scoring year in the last 50.

Nice trick comping this year which is coincidentally the only year this decade when teams avg 105 points or better. 90''s had three years when teams avg 105 or better. Before This Season No Team Had Avg More Than 102 Per Game.

The year you cite for lowest points per was also a strike year in which there was no training camp and games were cobbled together in a hodge podge manner. You can't count that. You remove that and the 90''s avg were better.

It was a tale of 2 decades. First half of the 90''s and 2nd half of the 90's. It's definitely a different game but I wouldn't say that it was a better game. Your point about no d in the 80's is fallacious too. NBA played d during the 80's guys were more skilled and thus able to beat good D

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:55 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Nice trick comping this year which is coincidentally the only year this decade when teams avg 105 points or better. 90''s had three years when teams avg 105 or better. Before This Season No Team Had Avg More Than 102 Per Game.

The year you cite for lowest points per was also a strike year in which there was no training camp and games were cobbled together in a hodge podge manner. You can't count that. You remove that and the 90''s avg were better.

It was a tale of 2 decades. First half of the 90''s and 2nd half of the 90's. It's definitely a different game but I wouldn't say that it was a better game. Your point about no d in the 80's is fallacious too. NBA played d during the 80's guys were more skilled and thus able to beat good D

Saying guys were more skilled 30 years ago than they are today belies logic, common sense, and evidence.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:08 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Saying guys were more skilled 30 years ago than they are today belies logic, common sense, and evidence.

No it doesn't. There are probably 5 centers with any semblance of a post game in the league.

I would take the top 10 guys from the 80's and you can take the top 10 from this decade and who do you think would win?

If you want to condense it to merely top 5-7 that's fine.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed May 10, 2017 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:09 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

No it doesn't. There are probably 5 centers with any semblance of a post game I'm the league.

I would take the top 10 guys from the 80's and you can take the top 10 from this decade and who do you think would win?

Today's guys

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:10 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

No it doesn't. There are probably 5 centers with any semblance of a post game I'm the league.

Today's guys

No they wouldn't and I say this as a guy that likes today's game.

Magic
Bird
Jordan
Isaiah
Barkley
Moses
Kareem
Malone
Dominique

I can throw anyone else in there and it wouldn't be a team from this decade that would beat them.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed May 10, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:11 pm 

Yes they would and it probably wouldn't even be a close game honestly.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:18 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

Remember this is the era where guys would rather team up with other guys as opposed to actually competing against them. This is the group you're rolling with? There are only 2 guys this decade that would be in the top 10 all time. 80s had 4.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:19 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Remember this is the era where guys would rather team up with other guys than actually compete against them. This is the group you're rolling with? There are only 2 guys this decade that would be in the top 10 all time. 80s had 4.

Yes, I'm rolling with the guys who realize 3 points are worth more than 2.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:19 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

Wow. Dumb.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:22 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Wow. Dumb.

I'll take that with a grain of salt since you were unaware the Warriors won a title until a few days ago.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:22 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Remember this is the era where guys would rather team up with other guys than actually compete against them. This is the group you're rolling with? There are only 2 guys this decade that would be in the top 10 all time. 80s had 4.

I roll with guys that preferred high percentage shots as opposed to ill advised 3's.

There is no way in hell that you'd see weak defenders like Harden guarding elite Centers. Undersized 4 men like Draymond guarding elite Centers? Please.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed May 10, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:23 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Yes, Larry Bird was a dogshit shooter.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:25 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Yes, Larry Bird was a dogshit shooter.

Nobody said that

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:27 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I roll with guys that preferred high percentage shots as opposed to ill advised 3's.

There is no way in hell that you'd see weak defenders like Harden guarding elite Centers. Undersized 4 men like Draymond guarding elite Centers? Please.

Who's your top 10 guys? How you spreading the floor outside of Bird? The superior spacing of the current day squad would be too large an advantage of your 80's team to overcome

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:28 pm 

There isn't a NBA champion from this decade that would Defeat the Lakers,Celtics, or Pistons teams of the 80's. That includes the Miami team with LeBron too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next