It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:44 pm 

Watching the Wizards and Celtics game and noticed something about the modern NBA. They rarely recognize obvious mismatches. How in the hell Isaiah Thomas allowed to guard 6'8 Kelly Oubre and not once do they go to a post up?

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:53 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Watching the Wizards and Celtics game and noticed something about the modern NBA. They rarely recognize obvious mismatches. How in the hell Isaiah Thomas allowed to guard 6'8 Kelly Oubre and not once do they go to a post up?

Because he'd probably miss it? Post play is amazingly difficult seeming for this bunch

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:03 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Because he'd probably miss it? Post play is amazingly difficult seeming for this bunch

I think that's it too. I think he is fearful of being embarrassed by not being able to score on a 5'8 guy. 2nd game in a row that just stands in the corner. Brooks at least has to run a few post ups. They are playing 4 on 5 when Oubre is in

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
I believe it's the players on the court not to recognize there is a miss match

I'm out.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
The corner three is the most valuable shot in the game. Almost every offense will have a player there on every position. For the Wizards, that's Oubre a lot of time. That's why the Celtics put Thomas there. If Oubre tried to post him up the Celtics would switch and Thomas would still be guarding the corner three spot

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Being 5'9" there is a mismatch every time the Wizards have the ball

I'm out.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Regular Reader wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Because he'd probably miss it?

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:19 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
The corner three is the most valuable shot in the game. Almost every offense will have a player there on every position. For the Wizards, that's Oubre a lot of time. That's why the Celtics put Thomas there. If Oubre tried to post him up the Celtics would switch and Thomas would still be guarding the corner three spot

They could run a simple two man game with Beal and Oubre and Thomas would be in trouble if they want to spot a guy in the weak side corner cool but it makes no sense to have Oubre stand in the corner.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:22 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

They could run a simple two man game with Beal and Oubre and Thomas would be in trouble if they want to spot a guy in the weak side corner cool but it makes no sense to have Oubre stand in the corner.

I'm sure Boston would be more than happy to oblige taking Wall out of the offense

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
long time guy wrote:

It's true, though. Modern players lack post skill. If you don't have the skill to shoot over a 5'10" guy at 6'8", the 5'10" guy will dominate. No way can the bigger guy go around him. And backing people down is a matter of strength, not height.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:27 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
long time guy wrote:

It's true, though. Modern players lack post skill. If you don't have the skill to shoot over a 5'10" guy at 6'8", the 5'10" guy will dominate. No way can the bigger guy go around him. And backing people down is a matter of strength, not height.

Posting up Oubre on Thomas would work for a possession or two. But it would fuck up the spacing of Washington's offense and would hurt them offensively if they did it consistently. It's not a matter of Oubre not having the ability to post Thomas up

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:46 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I'm sure Boston would be more than happy to oblige taking Wall out of the offense

You have to go to the mismatch. Oubre is a professional basketball player. If he can't score on a 5'8 guy who can he score on?

They would have to double that which means that guys would get wide open shots. Guess Oubre just solved that :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Oubre just went off the rails :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:51 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You have to go to the mismatch. Oubre is a professional basketball player. If he can't score on a 5'8 guy who can he score on?

They would have to double that which means that guys would get wide open shots. Guess Oubre just solved that :lol:

But if Oubre went to post up(in game 5 when he's allowed to play again) they would switch and Thomas would stay in the corner.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:59 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

But if Oubre went to post up(in game 5 when he's allowed to play again) they would switch and Thomas would stay in the corner.

Not if they run a simple two man game and run the corner three guy from the weak side. They would have to double. If they run a two man with Beal and Oubre Thomas is dead one on one. Oubre isn't even a good shooter so why spot him up in the corner? They are playing 4 on 5 if they don't allow him to go at Thomas. I get what you're saying about switching but if they move him to the weak side corner there is no way Thomas could switch.

The guy guarding Beal would have to decide whether he wants to double or stay at home.

I just really want to see them try it. Just did it with Porter and Porter scored.

Porter scores again on Thomas in the post. No way he can guard that.

Last edited by long time guy on Thu May 04, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
We've talked about this before. Guys are growing up wanting to be like Mike or LBJ or Curry or whatever. That means 6'8 teenagers are trying to cross people over and dunk, or pull up from half court for three, instead of trying to be the next Duncan or Malone.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:02 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
We've talked about this before. Guys are growing up wanting to be like Mike or LBJ or Curry or whatever. That means 6'8 teenagers are trying to cross people over and dunk, or pull up from half court for three, instead of trying to be the next Duncan or Malone.

That, and also the basketball industry has realized the importance of three pointers. It took like 3 decades but they finally got it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:04 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:

I agree but when it is that big a mismatch you don't really have to be that skilled posting because the guy can't do anything to alter your shot. All of this "stretch" stuff is killing post play. Agree with that.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:06 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

That, and also the basketball industry has realized the importance of three pointers. It took like 3 decades but they finally got it.

Have to see it work a little more in order to become a believer. 1 G.S. championship against depleted Cleveland team is not enough.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:09 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Have to see it work a little more in order to become a believer. 1 G.S. championship against depleted Cleveland team is not enough.

It's simple math. Most guys can't shoot 50%. A ton of guys can shoot 34% or better from 3, which would be better than that 50% shooter. You need the right personnel and coaching but all the best teams in the NBA for the last 5 years have shot a ton of threes compared to the rest of the league.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:14 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

It's simple math. Most guys can't shoot 50%. A ton of guys can shoot 34% or better from 3, which would be better than that 50% shooter. You need the right personnel and coaching but all the best teams in the NBA for the last 5 years have shot a ton of threes compared to the rest of the league.

They were preaching that in the 80's too. That equation has always been out there. It lends itself to a lot of bad basketball. G.S.'s reliance on the 3 cost them a championship last season imo. They avg 40 3's a game and a lot of them were bad shots.
Had they taken better shots they would have won.

I still think the best basketball is played from the elbow down.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:18 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

They were preaching that in the 80's too. That equation has always been out there. It lends itself to a lot of bad basketball. G.S.'s reliance on the 3 cost them a championship last season imo. They avg 40 3's a game and a lot of them were bad shots.

I disagree. You can shoot too many threes, but if you aren't shooting at least 20 a game as a team you're just handicapping yourself for no reason. They had no concept of floor spacing in the 80's either. There's hundreds of full length games on YouTube and it's kinda funny to watch.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:24 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

I disagree. You can shoot too many threes, but if you aren't shooting at least 20 a game as a team you're just handicapping yourself for no reason. They had no concept of floor spacing in the 80's either. There's hundreds of full length games on YouTube and it's kinda funny to watch.

They had much better shot selection. To run a 3 on 1 break and not get a layup out of it is bad offense. Jacking 3''s just to launch 3''s is bad offense. You always want to take high percentage shots.

There are a number of 7 for 30 games just because guys want to get their 3''s up. That's bad offense.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:28 pm 

long time guy wrote:

They had much better shot selection. To run a 3 on 1 break and not get a layup out of it is bad offense. Jacking 3''s just to launch 3''s is bad offense. You always want to take high percentage shots.

There are a number of 7 for 30 games just because guys want to get their 3''s up. That's bad offense.

There are a number of 25-80 games too. Bad offense comes in all forms. But the best offense in 2017 and beyond will always shoot a lot of threes. That is inescapable going forward.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:34 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

There are a number of 25-80 games too. Bad offense comes in all forms. But the best offense in 2017 and beyond will always shoot a lot of threes. That is inescapable going forward.

I don't know. We will see but G.S. wins if they don't get caught in the whole splash thing in the finals. One of the things that is negated by shooting so many 3's are free throws. Guys don't get in foul trouble and you don't get easy buckets.

I would have to see more teams win playing that way before I become a believer.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:39 pm 

The Warriors are gonna win again this year but they aren't the only team. Every team that has won the Finals in the past five years has shot a lot of threes. The Cavs did last year. The Heat and Spurs teams did too.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:49 pm 

Same thing with G.S. Utah. Gobert being guarded by 6'6 6'7 Draymond Green and they don't run one post up for him. When people talk about it being a better NBA they are lying. I love the league but it's not better than it was 25 30 years ago. When your top centers are relegated to being alley catching ball fetchers there is no way that it can be called a better NBA. Bunch of guys that you can't run a play for at Center.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:53 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Same thing with G.S. Utah. Gobert being guarded by 6'6 6'7 Draymond Green and they don't run one post up for him. When people talk about it being a better NBA they are lying. I love the league but it's not better than it was 25 30 years ago. When your top centers are relegated to being alley catching ball fetchers there is no way that it can be called a better NBA. Bunch of guys that you can't run a play for at Center.

Draymond Green is neck and neck with Kawhi Leonard as the best defensive player in the entire NBA. If he posted up Draymond Green it would be a wasted possession every single time and a turnover most of the time.

Draymond Green is going to win Defensive Player of the Year this year. Your advice is seriously to attack him one on one? :lol: :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:58 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Draymond Green is neck and neck with Kawhi Leonard as the best defensive player in the entire NBA. If he posted up Draymond Green it would be a wasted possession every single time and a turnover most of the time.

Draymond Green is going to win Defensive Player of the Year this year. Your advice is seriously to attack him one on one? :lol: :lol:

Yes. Good offense always can beat good defense. Gobert is 7'3. He should be able to shoot over Draemond Green and score with no problem Green is a position defender against guys his size. He isn't a shot blocker. No way in he'll that he can guard a skilled 7 footer. That is the problem. Not enough skilled 7 footers in the league. That is why he can get away with playing the 5 so much. More an indictment on post players than it is an endorsement of his defensive abilities.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:07 am 

Put Draymond in any era of NBA basketball and he's a top 5 defensive player in the league.

Yeah, he might not be able to guard Shaq but what the fuck, nobody could. Goebert isn't an offensive player. Draymond would just destroy him one on one on the block.

You're thinking about height too much. Draymond is incredibly strong, and has textbook footwork and hands, and length superior to his height. And yes, of course he's a shot blocker. This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say everyone on here underrates him. It's outrageous to suggest any 7 footer should be able to score on him.

I can see why people would say "why don't the Wizards post up on the 5 foot 9 guy?". It's insane to suggest "Why doesn't Utah post up the DPOY and one of the best defensive forwards of the past 20 years?"

To rock my soul