It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:14 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
The 4s and 5s absolutely are fundamentally worse.

No they aren't. They aren't as good at posting up. They are better at shooting and passing the ball. As I said, it's a different game.

But we are just talking generalities here. A great player like Draymond would be able to adjust easily, especially considering he's already one of the most versatile players in a much more versatile era.

But they really aren't. There are a few Centers that can step out but not many. There were great shooting centers back in the day they just didn't shoot 3's. The emphasis on 3 point shooting may not have made it a better game either.

You see a lot games where guys pass up layups and mid range shots to kick to the corners for contested 3's. That is bad basketball in any era.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Draymond would absolutely be an effective player in that series.

Nah. He would probably end up ejected or dead

I could see him getting ejected from a game. The other six game he would be great, And there would be 6 other games.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:16 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

No they aren't. They aren't as good at posting up. They are better at shooting and passing the ball. As I said, it's a different game.

But we are just talking generalities here. A great player like Draymond would be able to adjust easily, especially considering he's already one of the most versatile players in a much more versatile era.

But they really aren't. There are a few Centers that can step out but not many. There were great shooting centers back in the day they just didn't shoot 3's. The emphasis on 3 point shooting may not have made it a better game either.

You see a lot games where guys pass up layups and mid range shots to kick to the corners for contested 3's. That is bad basketball in any era.

You don't see that happen often, and of course centers on average are much better at shooting and passing than they used to be.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:17 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I could see him getting ejected from a game. The other six game he would be great, And there would be 6 other games.

He would be decent to good in a couple games, but he would be beat mentally.

The 96 Bulls were the most mentally tough team to ever play the game. They could beat you on the court and they could destroy you in your own head.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:18 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

You don't see that happen often, and of course centers on average are much better at shooting and passing than they used to be.

Huh? Look at the analytics. Teams avg about 25 3's a game. There was much more scoring back in the day because guys took better shots.

I see so many games where 3 on 1 or 2 breaks turn into 3 point shots because guys flare out to corners. 3 is better than 2 but you were always taught to take the for sure layup. You see guts missing wide open 3's on fast breaks that could garnered a layup or a foul.

Last edited by long time guy on Sun May 07, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
There is one guy in today's game who would have tested that Bulls team (with the right cast) and that's Lebron.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:21 pm 

RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

The 96 Bulls were the most mentally tough team to ever play the game. They could beat you on the court and they could destroy you in your own head.

Now this is venturing into completely speculative bullshit territory. There's nothing at all to suggest Draymond Green is mentally weak. He's an agitator and he should stop kicking people in the nuts but he never melts down or loses his cool or gets tossed from games. You're just being ridiculous now.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:22 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
There is one guy in today's game who would have tested that Bulls team (with the right cast) and that's Lebron.

This Warriors core could absolutely test them and will win more titles than LeBron will when all is said and done.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:23 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

This Warriors core could absolutely test them and will win more titles than LeBron will when all is said and done.

They should probably win one first.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:23 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Huh? Look at the analytics. Teams avg about 25 3's a game. There was much more scoring back in the day because guys took better shots.

Back in what day? The 90s, which is what we are discussing, is the lowest scoring decade in NBA history.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:24 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

RFDC, is it still unfair to pull the "you should watch the games" card?

:lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Back in what day? The 90s, which is what we are discussing, is the lowest scoring decade in NBA history.

Because teams actually played defense?

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:26 pm 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:

If you don't think teams play defense in today's NBA try watching a Spurs game or Warriors game. If you still don't after that find a new sport to follow because you clearly don't know what you are watching.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:27 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

My basketball eye goes back a tad further.

Points per game avg during the 90's were higher than they have been during this decade.

Last edited by long time guy on Sun May 07, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:29 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

If you don't think teams play defense in today's NBA try watching a Spurs game or Warriors game. If you still don't after that find a new sport to follow because you clearly don't know what you are watching.

I watched last night and once again I saw Green l"ockdown" a guy that will never get play called for him. In my day they called that "self checked"

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:35 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I watched last night and once again I saw Green l"ockdown" a guy that will never get play called for him. In my day they called that "self checked"

I have a feeling Ron Adams know how to design a better defensive gameplan than you and I do. You would take the Warriors best shot blocker and put him out above the three point line guarding the ball handlers?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

So the highest scoring decade plays better defense??? How convoluted is that?

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:36 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Oh, big deal. I forgot that they won one against watered down competition two years ago.

You need to come to the realization that basketball isn't conducive to advanced metrics or comparing numbers across generations. The rules change and the style changes. In the '90's, you were also able to hand check and beat the shit out of people. Physical strength was much more of an asset. You didn't have as many lanky, athletic wing men who were approaching 7 feet tall. I've disagreed with JORR on many occasions about his overemphasis on size, but the reality is that great defensive "big men" (who patrolled the lane only) did a lot more than can be shown through stats.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:39 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I have a feeling Ron Adams know how to design a better defensive gameplan than you and I do. You would take the Warriors best shot blocker and put him out above the three point line guarding the ball handlers?

He guards guys that never get plays called for them. That is why I was hoping for Clips to get here. Blake Griffin was going to take his ass out.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:39 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Oh, big deal. I forgot that they won one against watered down competition two years ago.

You need to come to the realization that basketball isn't conducive to advanced metrics or comparing numbers across generations. The rules change and the style changes. In the '90's, you were also able to hand check and beat the shit out of people. Physical strength was much more of an asset. You didn't have as many lanky, athletic wing men who were approaching 7 feet tall. I've disagreed with JORR on many occasions about his overemphasis on size, but the reality is that great defensive "big men" (who patrolled the lane only) did a lot more than can be shown through stats.

I haven't used advanced stats or metrics to make my argument and draymond green's strength is one of his biggest assets. Also, the "watered down competition" was against LeBron, the only guy from this era you think could compete against the Bulls. You're all over the place :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:41 pm 

Would you rather drive to the lane against the first group or the second group?...

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:41 pm 

Can you answer why he rarely guards Lebron?

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:42 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

He guards guys that never get plays called for them. That is why I was hoping for Clips to get here. Blake Griffin was going to take his ass out.

That's simply not true. Guys don't make All defensive first teams and win DPOY by not guarding guys. I don't even know what else to say

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:43 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Would you rather drive to the lane against the first group or the second group?...

A Center and PF or a PG, SG, and SF? Great comparison!

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:45 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

That's simply not true. Guys don't make All defensive first teams and win DPOY by not guarding guys. I don't even know what else to say

If they face S.A. next round does he guard Aldridge or Does he guard Simmons Dedmon or another of S.A.'s tomato cans forward/Centers?

Last edited by long time guy on Sun May 07, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:46 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Now this is venturing into completely speculative bullshit territory. There's nothing at all to suggest Draymond Green is mentally weak. He's an agitator and he should stop kicking people in the nuts but he never melts down or loses his cool or gets tossed from games. You're just being ridiculous now.

He does those things because he is mentally weak. How else do you explain a guy doing something like that more than once?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:47 pm 

RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

He does those things because he is mentally weak. How else do you explain a guy doing something like that more than once?

That doesn't even make sense.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:47 pm 

long time guy wrote:

If they face S.A. next round does he guard Aldridge or Does he guard Simmons Dedmon or another of S.A.'s tomato cans forward/Centers?

Probably mostly Aldridge or Pau but he guards multiple guys depending on what the matchup or lineups call for.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:48 pm 

The '96 Bulls would win 78 games if they played in today's NBA.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:50 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Probably mostly Aldridge or Pau but he guards multiple guys depending on what the matchup or lineups call for.

Pau doesn't start anymore. I expect him to guard Dedmon or Simmons.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next