It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:46 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
So you think Draymond could check the big men from that era as well as Rodman, Hakeem? No way in the world

Payton, Jordan, and Pippen could do just fine playing D in todays league.

Doing just fine and being a top 2 defensive player two years in a row is not the same thing. So hakeem would've been better at guarding centers? Ok. Draymond would be better at guarding every other position on the floor.

All 5 of those guys could be DPOY in todays league. It is silly to think otherwise.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Maybe, but if a team could find a big man who was dominant, it would be a huge game changer. It's a market inefficiency, if you will.

I don't think so. It's hard to find a guy who can put up much better numbers than Anthony Davis has. Hasn't helped his team a whole lot. You need great guard play to compete today.

I just cannot believe some of the things I read around here.

Same here

To rock my soul

RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
So you think Draymond could check the big men from that era as well as Rodman, Hakeem? No way in the world

Doing just fine and being a top 2 defensive player two years in a row is not the same thing. So hakeem would've been better at guarding centers? Ok. Draymond would be better at guarding every other position on the floor.

All 5 of those guys could be DPOY in todays league. It is silly to think otherwise.

They could be. Who knows? Draymond Green is.

To rock my soul

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Maybe, but if a team could find a big man who was dominant, it would be a huge game changer. It's a market inefficiency, if you will.

I don't think so. It's hard to find a guy who can put up much better numbers than Anthony Davis has. Hasn't helped his team a whole lot. You need great guard play to compete today.

Anthony Davis is not a skilled big man. He has no post game.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:47 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

And he wouldnt be in their era.

They could be in his era, he couldn't be in their era.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:47 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

That's ridiculous. Of course he does.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:49 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
It's almost laughable how unskilled a number of modern day "elite" centers are. Watching Jazz Warriors. Gobert can't score unless it's an alley oop play.

Yep. Alonzo Mourning would be the best big man in the game both ways today. #sad!

Yep.

He benefits from guarding non offensive centers and PFs. If he truly "shut down" LeBron then why was Lebron's the primary assignment of Iggy?

For all the talk about the game being better it isn't and I'm a big fan. Guys like James Edwards would absolutely murder Draymond Green and he was never elite. The game has made the mid range shot public enemy No. 1 which effects Centers too. I'm sure many don't practice that shot. It's dumb.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:49 pm 

RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

There's no way to know that and all evidence suggests you are wrong.

I find it very amusing that the old guys on this board think it's crazy to suggest one of the best defensive players in the NBA today would be one of the best defensive players in the NBA 20 years ago.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:50 pm 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
It's almost laughable how unskilled a number of modern day "elite" centers are. Watching Jazz Warriors. Gobert can't score unless it's an alley oop play.

Yep. Alonzo Mourning would be the best big man in the game both ways today. #sad!

Yep.

He benefits from guarding non offensive centers and PFs. If he truly "shut down" LeBron then why was Lebron's the primary assignment of Iggy?

For all the talk about the game being better it isn't and I'm a big fan. Guys like James Edwards would absolutely murder Draymond Green and he was never elite. The game has made the mid range shot public enemy No. 1 which effects Centers too. I'm sure many don't practice that shot. It's dumb.

:lol:

Every part of this post is bullshit. It is funny though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:51 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Doesn't Anthony Davis put up big numbers whenever he plays G.S?

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:52 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

He puts up big numbers against almost every team. He's a superstar player.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:53 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Yep.

If he shut down James then how dId G.S. lose last season? Cleveland popped G.S. based on the performance of 2 players and James was one of them

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:54 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Yep.

If he shut down James then how dId G.S. lose last season? Cleveland popped G.S. based on the performance of 2 players and James was one of them

The series swung when he got suspended for Game 6. He did everything he could on both ends in Game 7 but it wasn't enough.

To rock my soul

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

He puts up big numbers against almost every team. He's a superstar player.

Shouldn't an elite player be able to prevent that or is his stellar defensive work relegated to guarding guys like Meyers Leonard?

Last edited by long time guy on Sun May 07, 2017 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:lol: It is funny to me that MANY of us get criticized for being the old guys ...blah blah blah.

Yet FF's defense in many of these discussions is to make it seem like we do not watch the NBA, because clearly if we watched the NBA we would agree with him.

That is what is bullshit.

You ride with Draymond.

I will ride with Payton, Hakeem, Rodman, Pippen, and Jordan.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:55 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:

There's no way to know that and all evidence suggests you are wrong.

I find it very amusing that the old guys on this board think it's crazy to suggest one of the best defensive players in the NBA today would be one of the best defensive players in the NBA 20 years ago.

I'm your age.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:56 pm 

RFDC wrote:
:lol: It is funny to me that MANY of us get criticized for being the old guys ...blah blah blah.

Yet FF's defense in many of these discussions is to make it seem like we do not watch the NBA, because clearly if we watched the NBA we would agree with him.

You ride with Draymond.

Also, this isn't an "old guy" argument. In some sports, it is... but in basketball, the rules and style have quantifiably changed, and I don't think a lot of today's players could adapt to the way it used to be played.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:00 pm 

RFDC wrote:

You ride with Draymond.

I never said anything about watching games in this thread. But when guys act like Draymond Green isn't a great defensive player then they themselves make it seem like they aren't watching.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:00 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
RFDC wrote:

You ride with Draymond.

Also, this isn't an "old guy" argument. In some sports, it is... but in basketball, the rules and style have quantifiably changed, and I don't think a lot of today's players could adapt to the way it used to be played.

Based on what?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:01 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Yep.

The series swung when he got suspended for Game 6. He did everything he could on both ends in Game 7 but it wasn't enough.

He only guarded Lebron James when he switched on screen roll. If he were that guy he would have done what other elite guys do which is take the cover. He is guarding guys that never get plays called for them like Tristan Thompson and you are lauding his defensive work.

The guys Walt named always guarded who they were supposed to guard. Hakeem took the Robinson Ewing and Shaq cover. They always guarded their opposite number. Green is guarding non offensive players and helping on rotations.

If he were the all time great defender you keep proclaiming him to be then his assignment would be to shut James down and dare the other guys to beat them.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:02 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
RFDC wrote:

You ride with Draymond.

Based on what?

My eyes?

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:03 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
RFDC wrote:

You ride with Draymond.

Based on what?

My eyes?

Ok. I don't know how you can make that statement based on what you see on the court. Of course the players today could adjust. Just like I'm sure the great players in the 90's could adjust to today's game. The styles are different. The players aren't fundamentally worse.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:07 pm 

When Shaq was in Orlando, it appeared they had a recipe that was unguardable. They had Shaq surrounded by great shooters and guys who were great entry passers. Dennis Scott never missed. Teams had a choice - let Shaq kill your center or double and let them shoot an effective FG% of over 60% from three.

Then they played the Bulls in '96 and got laughed out of the series. Rodman had Shaq wanting to punch out his own teammates, and Jordan, Pippen, and Harper were rotstion machines. I think they won the first game by like 50 points.

They would do similar things to GS.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:07 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
RFDC wrote:

You ride with Draymond.

Based on what?

My eyes?

Ok. I don't know how you can make that statement based on what you see on the court. Of course the players today could adjust. Just like I'm sure the great players in the 90's could adjust to today's game. The styles are different. The players aren't fundamentally worse.

The 4s and 5s absolutely are fundamentally worse.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:09 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
The 4s and 5s absolutely are fundamentally worse.

No they aren't. They aren't as good at posting up. They are better at shooting and passing the ball. As I said, it's a different game.

But we are just talking generalities here. A great player like Draymond would be able to adjust easily, especially considering he's already one of the most versatile players in a much more versatile era.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:10 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
When Shaq was in Orlando, it appeared they had a recipe that was unguardable. They had Shaq surrounded by great shooters and guys who were great entry passers. Dennis Scott never missed. Teams had a choice - let Shaq kill your center or double and let them shoot an effective FG% of over 60% from three.

Then they played the Bulls in '96 and got laughed out of the series. Rodman had Shaq wanting to punch out his own teammates, and Jordan, Pippen, and Harper were rotstion machines. I think they won the first game by like 50 points.

Yep what separated those guys were that all 4 were great individual defenders.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:10 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

Yup.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:12 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

No they wouldn't and the one thing you're forgetting here is that Orlando team sucked defensively, the Warriors are a great defensive team. Not to mention Steph Curry is the EXACT player that used to give those Bulls teams trouble. I would take the Bulls of course but it wouldn't be a rout and Draymond would absolutely be an effective player in that series.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:12 pm 

RFDC wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Yup.

Not sure if Old Guy Bias or Bulls Fan Bias

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:13 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Draymond would absolutely be an effective player in that series.

Nah. He would probably end up ejected or dead

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next