It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:00 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
DID. YOU. COMPARE. THEIR. BODIES. BY. LOOKING AT THEM?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Just when I think I have read everything around here, I see a case that Kyrie is better than Iverson and Carter is better than Pippen?

Holy Hell. Some of you need to step away for awhile.

After tying all of Jorrs various nba opinions together I can only surmise that he thinks every 90's player was terrible except for Michael jordan, who was a good but not great player.

The best players have to be centers, but the best player ever is Magic Johnson.

Scottie Pippen was the best player of the second 3-peat, but he was not as good as Vince Carter.

Scottie Pippen needed Michael Jordan to score for him, and players who can score are generally better. But Scottie Pippen was better than MJ.

Michael Jordan might be the greatest player ever, but only because you liked him growing up.

Scoring is the most important stat, but Lebron is likely better than Jordan.

Wilt Chamberlain was a better passer than any modern guard.

If you think a modern player is better than a player from the '50s, it's because you think humans have evolved in the last few decades. That is the only reason.

Magic Johnson guarded all five positions and didn't shoot a push shot that looked like a teenage girl.

Congratulations. You finally baited me with these silly distortions of what I've said.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I will pound you, old man.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:43 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

AI never won anything and he was really a selfish player. Philly got better the second they traded him. I'm not sure about wanting to win either. He was more interested in getting his than anything. It was hard for other guys to play with him because of his selfishness as a player.

By better do you mean they matched or exceeded AI's finals appearances?

At the time Iverson was traded to Denver they were floundering and out of the playoffs. I know their record was better with Miller and I think they made the playoffs. Their record got better and so did Denver's once he was traded for Billups. Detroit got worse with Iverson too

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:44 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Iverson was definitely better than Kyrie and it's incorrect to say the team got better when he got traded. They won three less games that year than the year before. Let me know when Kyrie gets a team to the Finals without anyone else on the team averaging 15 ppg. Iverson had to be selfish to give his team a chance.

That's a false narrative.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:47 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
I know a lot of guys don't agree with JORR and LTG's assessments of some modern players, and I'm wondering if this disagreement is not about the merits of the players themselves but rather just an experiential thing. Let me give you an example: I was in middle school and HS when Vince Carter entered the league and set it on fire with his amazing dunks. It was the best time to be a fan for me in retrospect because I wasn't as cynical as I am now and my youthfulness generally made everything appear to be fantastic. Nowadays I've got punk teenagers coming up to me talking about Zach Levine or someone else being the best dunker ever or whatever, and invariably my response goes something like "well, do you know Vince Carter, blah blah blah" like some old man yelling at cloud bitch I thought I'd never be.

I get it. Those punk teens are the new crop of middle/high schoolers thinking the players in front of them right now and here are the shit, and they don't care about guys who were balling before they were born or while they were still in diapers. And even as they get older I'm sure their perspective will become more balanced but that still won't erase the peak fan experiences they've had as youngsters watching Zach Levine or something dunking on the rest of the league. It's a sort of presentist bias that leads them to hold onto certain truths that become more rigid over time as they inevitably move away from being a full-time fan, or at least as rabid of a fan as they were when they were young.

The short way of saying this is I wondering if in, let's say, 30 years me or FF or LYK or whomever will be the new JORR/LTG/etc of this board trying to tell someone born in 2030 that there's no way some small forward born in 2025 is better than Dirk or LBJ or KD or whomever because of blah blah blah, while that person replies that LBJ, KD, etc., weren't shit, and that they were old and slow and decrepit and couldn't do this or that, etc.

I'm committing blasphemy by saying a current player has a better skill set than AI though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:51 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Just when I think I have read everything around here, I see a case that Kyrie is better than Iverson and Carter is better than Pippen?

Holy Hell. Some of you need to step away for awhile.

Kevin Durant does too because he is the one that started it. If you think the often wild and out of control Iverson has a better handle and Jump shot than Kyrie Irving then it's you that needs to step away. For the record he said skill set and he's right.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
veganfan21 wrote:
I know a lot of guys don't agree with JORR and LTG's assessments of some modern players, and I'm wondering if this disagreement is not about the merits of the players themselves but rather just an experiential thing. Let me give you an example: I was in middle school and HS when Vince Carter entered the league and set it on fire with his amazing dunks. It was the best time to be a fan for me in retrospect because I wasn't as cynical as I am now and my youthfulness generally made everything appear to be fantastic. Nowadays I've got punk teenagers coming up to me talking about Zach Levine or someone else being the best dunker ever or whatever, and invariably my response goes something like "well, do you know Vince Carter, blah blah blah" like some old man yelling at cloud bitch I thought I'd never be.

I get it. Those punk teens are the new crop of middle/high schoolers thinking the players in front of them right now and here are the shit, and they don't care about guys who were balling before they were born or while they were still in diapers. And even as they get older I'm sure their perspective will become more balanced but that still won't erase the peak fan experiences they've had as youngsters watching Zach Levine or something dunking on the rest of the league. It's a sort of presentist bias that leads them to hold onto certain truths that become more rigid over time as they inevitably move away from being a full-time fan, or at least as rabid of a fan as they were when they were young.

The short way of saying this is I wondering if in, let's say, 30 years me or FF or LYK or whomever will be the new JORR/LTG/etc of this board trying to tell someone born in 2030 that there's no way some small forward born in 2025 is better than Dirk or LBJ or KD or whomever because of blah blah blah, while that person replies that LBJ, KD, etc., weren't shit, and that they were old and slow and decrepit and couldn't do this or that, etc.

Of course that's true, with the exception of our generation. We really did see the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Agreed. Numbers don't lie.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11