It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
Does Jordan go to 8 finals and come up short on five of them? Uh, no. If he saw a hopeless cause he'd average 45/game. So the "stats" argument is idiotic.

No, but he did come up short once in the conference finals when he threw the ball to Nick Anderson.

well he just came off the baseball field. maybe he thought he was hitting the cutoff man.

There is no criticizing Jordan in a conversation with a Bulls fan. When it suits the argument he was better than ever scoring 55 against the Knicks and leading the Bulls on a 17 game winning streak. But when it suits a different argument he failed only because he wasn't in "basketball shape". I'm sure Jordan was actually undefeated in his career. The losses were just when he didn't want to win.

Well you do the same thing, as someone else pointed out. When it's convenient for you, Pippen wasn't really all that good and Rodman was worse than Buck Williams, yet Jordan's supporting cast was underrated somehow.

Anyway, let me know the next time someone goes 6-0 in the Finals as the best player on all six teams. Until then, I'll disagree that Jordan's ability to win games is overrated.

Are you sure Jordan was the best player on the second threepeat Bulls?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I am

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:25 pm 

In order to take subjectivity out of it I'm happy to rephrase it to next player who is 6-0 in the Finals and is a 6x Finals MVP

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I was a hardcore NBA fan from about 82 to 93 at which point I got married and got a job and found more interesting things to do.

I have not watched a full NBA game in years, though I have tried occasionally. the game is totally different today. I don't even recognize it. How would Jordan do today, I don't know...would he have learned to drain the three? I dunno.

If someone wanted to break down why Lebron would be even better under the 1980s rulez, I would listen. Maybe so. There were a lot of big Hatchetmen back in the day that would have made life for him very painful on a nightly basis.

But if you took a space alien and said "look, there's this 'game' we play where the object is to win championships." Mr. Alien would say, why of course Mr. Jordan was better at that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:26 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Come on JORR. You honestly think that series goes the same way if Jordan played all year? He and the team were clearly out of sync

You're re-writing history. They went something like 13-4 after Jordan replaced fucking Pete Myers in the lineup. He dropped 55 on the Knicks. They were favored against Orlando. Why is it so difficult for a Bulls fan to admit that Jordan is anything less than God Almighty?

I am not rewriting anything. Anyone watching them after he came back could tell they were not in sync. Sure they won games and he had big games, but they were not even close to what their potential was.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
I am

I think a reasonable argument could be made otherwise. And for the record, there's a difference between saying a guy isn't a top fifty all-time player and saying he "isn't that good". Pippen was a great all around player at his peak (during the second threepeat). There are just too many guys who could put the ball in the hole so much better than he could over the course of their careers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Come on JORR. You honestly think that series goes the same way if Jordan played all year? He and the team were clearly out of sync

You're re-writing history. They went something like 13-4 after Jordan replaced fucking Pete Myers in the lineup. He dropped 55 on the Knicks. They were favored against Orlando. Why is it so difficult for a Bulls fan to admit that Jordan is anything less than God Almighty?

I am not rewriting anything. Anyone watching them after he came back could tell they were not in sync. Sure they won games and he had big games, but they were not even close to what their potential was.

That is re-writing history. Nobody thought that at the time. Jordan was dominating and the Bulls were rolling going into the playoffs. They just got beat. There's no shame in losing to a team with Shaq and Hardaway.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:29 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I am

I think a reasonable argument could be made otherwise. And for the record, there's a difference between saying a guy isn't a top fifty all-time player and saying he "isn't that good". Pippen was a great all around player at his peak (during the second threepeat). There are just too many guys who could put the ball in the hole so much better than he could over the course of their careers.

There's more to the game than scoring, but Jordan was also a great all around player. He was definitely and without question the best player on the second three peat. But even so, see my amended post.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:30 pm 

MANY guys under 40 were in diapers when Jordy won his first one BTW. At age 34 he was a shell of his former self, yet still the best player on the team.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:32 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

That is re-writing history. Nobody thought that at the time. Jordan was dominating and the Bulls were rolling going into the playoffs. They just got beat. There's no shame in losing to a team with Shaq and Hardaway.

They essentially ran back the same teams the next year and the Magic got swept and then broken up. Maybe you could beat Jordan, but then he would take it personally and destroy your entire potential dynasty within 12 months.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
There's more to the game than scoring

There's really not much more to the game than scoring more than the guy you're guarding. Especially at a time when zone defenses were technically illegal. If a guy like Aguirre guards Pippen and Pippen guards Aguirre for 48 minutes, there's no doubt in my mind which guy has more points at the end of the game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Kind of related to this, but which championships teams have been the least talented? I think since I've been paying attention to the league, I'd say the 94 Rockets, 04 Pistons, and 11 Mavericks. The Pistons were solid across the board but were one of the few teams to win a championship without a true superstar and the Rockets and Mavericks were impressive carry jobs by Hakeem and Dirk. I think the 03 Spurs may also deserve a mention; yes they had Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, and Robinson but Parker and Ginobili were babies and Robinson was an old man.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:35 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
There's more to the game than scoring

There's really not much more to the game than scoring more than the guy you're guarding. Especially at a time when zone defenses were technically illegal. If a guy like Aguirre guards Pippen and Pippen guards Aguirre for 48 minutes, there's no doubt in my mind which guy has more points at the end of the game.

That's sort of how I expect a 7 year old to view the game. It's a team game, not an individual sport.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:36 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
His supporting cast was mediocre to maybe a little better than that at best.

This is the problem I have with Bulls fans. When it's a pro-Jordan argument, this is the narrative. In the next conversation they'll be telling you Pippen was a top ten player of all-time. Stop being butthurt that LeBron is better than Jordan. It's okay.

Doesn't it come down to if you had to choose either LeBron or MJ for a game 7 who would you pick? I'll take Jordan every time .

Yeah, I probably would too. But it's not ridiculous to take LeBron. Last year LeBron carried a team that wasn't better than the one it beat. Jordan never did that. His teams were the best- true, in no small part due to him, but there are other factors- and they won like they were the best. LeBron put an inferior team on his back and beat what some people thought was the best team of all time. Hell, I might take Magic in his prime over both of them.

The notion that Lebron carried the Cavs is fallacious. Without Irving they win nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

You watched him down the stretch and he clearly wasn't the same MJ. He had flashes and the effort was there but he was a few steps off.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

They essentially ran back the same teams the next year and the Magic got swept and then broken up.

To be fair though, Hardaway broke down after that next season. I don't think he ever really played a full season again. Maybe once late in his career.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:38 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Kind of related to this, but which championships teams have been the least talented? I think since I've been paying attention to the league, I'd say the 94 Rockets, 04 Pistons, and 11 Mavericks. The Pistons were solid across the board but were one of the few teams to win a championship without a true superstar and the Rockets and Mavericks were impressive carry jobs by Hakeem and Dirk. I think the 03 Spurs may also deserve a mention; yes they had Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, and Robinson but Parker and Ginobili were babies and Robinson was an old man.

Yep. Duncan is the truest example of a guy that carried his team to a championship. Others are exaggerated examples. Dirk too maybe. All the rest had a lot of help. Akeem carried his team too. Forgot him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:39 pm 

senior citizen claims Jordan is no Magic! Gen X'er says Lebron is no Jordan. Millenial says ???? is no Lebron.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

You watched him down the stretch and he clearly wasn't the same MJ. He had flashes and the effort was there but he was a few steps off.

I think that's something you're saying after they lost. I don't think anyone had such thoughts at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:40 pm 

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Exactly. And to say that no one was saying that back then is rewriting history. I remember MANY discussions on the Score talking about that very thing.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:41 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I think that's something you're saying after they lost. I don't think anyone had such thoughts at the time.

Actually Nick Anderson said it at the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

This is the problem I have with Bulls fans. When it's a pro-Jordan argument, this is the narrative. In the next conversation they'll be telling you Pippen was a top ten player of all-time. Stop being butthurt that LeBron is better than Jordan. It's okay.

Doesn't it come down to if you had to choose either LeBron or MJ for a game 7 who would you pick? I'll take Jordan every time .

Yeah, I probably would too. But it's not ridiculous to take LeBron. Last year LeBron carried a team that wasn't better than the one it beat. Jordan never did that. His teams were the best- true, in no small part due to him, but there are other factors- and they won like they were the best. LeBron put an inferior team on his back and beat what some people thought was the best team of all time. Hell, I might take Magic in his prime over both of them.

The notion that Lebron carried the Cavs is fallacious. Without Irving they win nothing.

:lol: Yeah, you have to have five guys on the floor to play a game. And some of them besides the main guy have to be pretty good if you're going to win the title. We read enough of your Irving is better than Curry narrative last season to last a lifetime.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Actually Nick Anderson said it at the time.

I believe what he said was "45 isn't 23" which was just trash talk.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I thought it then and in 1998 but I still thought he would find a way. I was wrong in 1995.

Anderson said, he revs up like he used to but doesn't take off.

Is it that hard to figure you take 18-20 months off as a world class athlete, you don't fall out of bed and win the gold medal?

Jorr, these two guys guard eachother. Who had the better game?

Player A: 5-17 FG, 9-10 FT, 21 points, 5 rebs, 3 assists, 6 turnovers

Player B 6-9 FG, 2-2 FT, 14 points, 11 rebs, 13 assists, 1 turnover

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:

Is it that hard to figure you take 18-20 months off as a world class athlete, you don't fall out of bed and win the gold medal?

No, but nobody was saying that when the Bulls were the best team in the game over the last month and Jordan was dropping 55 on the Knicks. This is just part of the assumed "EIGHTpeat" that Bulls fans like to fantasize about. If they lost on the square, you can't claim the EIGHTpeat.

It's no different than the silly assumption that the Sox were the '94 World Series champions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:49 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

:lol: Yeah, you have to have five guys on the floor to play a game. And some of them besides the main guy have to be pretty good if you're going to win the title. We read enough of your Irving is better than Curry narrative last season to last a lifetime.

Regardless of that its disingenuous to suggest that a guy avg nearly 30 is being carried by anyone. Irving was more instrumental to Cleveland winning last year than Pippen was during any of the Bulls Championships. To suggest that it was Lebron and a bunch of nothing is foolish.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:50 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

For Jorr apparently it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:51 pm 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:

Regardless of that its disingenuous to suggest that a guy avg nearly 30 is being carried by anyone. Irving was more instrumental to Cleveland winning last year than Pippen was during any of the Bulls Championships. To suggest that it was Lebron and a bunch of nothing is foolish.

You done lost your fucking mind.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next