It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: 2017 NBA Offseason
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Blake is staying with the Clippers

Paul George just got traded to the Thunder :lol:

To rock my soul

Post subject: Re: 2017 NBA Offseason
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:55 pm 

Looks like Sabonis and Oladipo are going to Indy in return. That's a solid enough haul since George was leaving anyway. I'm sure Oladipo is happy he gets to shoot the ball again.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
I'm puzzled that's all Indiana could get, much like the Butler trade. Was this the best offer the Pacers received? What about Randle, Clarkson, and picks from Los Angeles? Or all those Boston picks? Maybe they like marketing Oladipo coming home. Danny Ainge loses both on Butler and George. Gordon Hayward's not going to get you past Cleveland and neither is your scouting ability.

Last edited by Ron Wolfley on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:07 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
I'm puzzled that's all Indiana could get, much like the Butler trade. Was this the best offer the Pacers received? What about Randle, Clarkson, and picks from Los Angeles? Maybe they like marketing Oladipo coming home.

Why would the Lakers give up assets for a player they are just going to sign outright next summer? I'm a bit surprised Boston didn't try to top this offer, but I can believe this was the best offer they could get.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
George gutted his own trade value by publicly declaring he was gone after next year.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
FavreFan wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
I'm puzzled that's all Indiana could get, much like the Butler trade. Was this the best offer the Pacers received? What about Randle, Clarkson, and picks from Los Angeles? Maybe they like marketing Oladipo coming home.

Why would the Lakers give up assets for a player they are just going to sign outright next summer? I'm a bit surprised Boston didn't try to top this offer, but I can believe this was the best offer they could get.

I believe it was the best offer too. I know there's a contract difference between Butler (2 years left) and George (1 year left) but I like LaVine (13th pick), Dunn (5th pick), and Laurie (7th pick) versus Oladipo (2nd pick/weak draft) and Sabonis (11th pick).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:14 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
George gutted his own trade value by publicly declaring he was gone after next year.

Probably a smart move. Why would you want the team you're going to to give up any more than they have to?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

Ron Wolfley wrote:
I'm puzzled that's all Indiana could get, much like the Butler trade. Was this the best offer the Pacers received? What about Randle, Clarkson, and picks from Los Angeles? Or all those Boston picks? Maybe they like marketing Oladipo coming home. Danny Ainge loses both on Butler and George. Gordon Hayward's not going to get you past Cleveland and neither is your scouting ability.

Teams aren't willing to give much up in return for a 1 year rental and the Lakers can wait a year and sign him as a free agent.

Oladipo is an ok player, but he's not a building block.

Oklahoma City becomes very interesting if they add an additional scorer and a few veteran bench pieces. I'm not sure how they look financially or if they can make any other moves via the trade market, but having two of the top 15 or so players is huge. Just need to continue adding now, and quick, with George likely there for 1 year.

Boston, with or without Hayward, isn't going anywhere. It's a nice regular season team, but it's a team of role players. Adding Hayward probably makes them the #1 seed again, but that won't matter in the playoffs if Cleveland is healthy.

Clippers are heading down a path of crap. Resigning Blake Griffin keeps them from totally bottoming out, but that team, with Jordan, is no more than an average team maybe as a #8 type seed.

Sucks that the Bulls are not a player and will be a bottom feeder for veteran leadership, but happy to seem them move on from Rondo. If you're going to go with young talent, you have to play them. Payne probably sucks, but find out. Dunn probably can't shoot well enough to be a difference maker, but find out.

So far, it's been a great NBA trading season!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:20 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Probably a smart move. Why would you want the team you're going to to give up any more than they have to?

I should say him doing that hurt Indy more than it hurt himself. But idk if it's a smart move since it forces the front office's hand and you know they're pissed because they can't get value back, and if nothing happens and you stay in Indy it's going to be super uncomfortable with your teammates and fans since everyone knows you've got one foot out the door. Plus now he's in OKC as a rental and if he doesn't want to be there long term then that's going to suck too. I might have just privately told the FO or not told them at all.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Gar should have offered cam Payne and portis (I'm sure the rest of the league values these players as highly as the bulls do) kept rondo and Wade... Coulda been another half assed "try" to win season

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:22 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

I believe it was the best offer too. I know there's a contract difference between Butler (2 years left) and George (1 year left) but I like LaVine (13th pick), Dunn (5th pick), and Laurie (7th pick) versus Oladipo (2nd pick/weak draft) and Sabonis (11th pick).

I agree the Bulls return was a lot better. Like you said, the extra year matters, as well as everyone assuming George will bolt to LA after next year whereas I think Minny hopes to resign Butler. Butler is also the better player.

Not sure what the Thunder are doing. They might be totally fucked next summer if Russ and George leave with no compensation.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

Ron Wolfley wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

I don't know if the Bulls will make out in this deal or not, and chances are they won't, but they got young talent. Just a year ago at this time, everyone was raving about Dunn. Now, a year goes by and he's now seen a struggling young player with questionable upside. That may be what he turns out to be, but adding the 7th pick (Laurie) as a shooter and getting an athletic/improving player like Lavine gives this deal a chance to be the start of a new foundation for Chicago. This deal also ensures they probably be a bottom 5 team for next season, and to add another young piece to the mix.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:24 pm 

Blake Griffin just Carmelo-ed himself by resigning in LA. He just committed to a future with no championships. Doc Rivers sucks.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

I agree the Bulls return was a lot better. Like you said, the extra year matters, as well as everyone assuming George will bolt to LA after next year whereas I think Minny hopes to resign Butler. Butler is also the better player.

Not sure what the Thunder are doing. They might be totally fucked next summer if Russ and George leave with no compensation.

Didn't Westbrook sign a 5 year deal last off-season (unless you're saying he can opt-out)? I sort of like the go for it attitude here. They didn't give up much and, assuming they can adding, why not take a shot?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

veganfan21 wrote:
Blake Griffin just Carmelo-ed himself by resigning in LA. He just committed to a future with no championships. Doc Rivers sucks.

That team is pretty much stuck in mediocrity now. They had their run, didn't win and now it's going to be tough to be a fan of that team.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:26 pm 

BD wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

I don't know if the Bulls will make out in this deal or not, and chances are they won't, but they got young talent. Just a year ago at this time, everyone was raving about Dunn. Now, a year goes by and he's now seen a struggling young player with questionable upside. That may be what he turns out to be, but adding the 7th pick (Laurie) as a shooter and getting an athletic/improving player like Lavine gives this deal a chance to be the start of a new foundation for Chicago. This deal also ensures they probably be a bottom 5 team for next season, and to add another young piece to the mix.

This missed what could/should have been, that being a better return for a player at the apex of his talents. At the minimum the Bulls shouldn't have to give up their own pick and take back a crippled shooting guard just to unload their best player.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:27 pm 

BD wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

Didn't Westbrook sign a 5 year deal last off-season (unless you're saying he can opt-out)? I sort of like the go for it attitude here. They didn't give up much and, assuming they can adding, why not take a shot?

Nope. Westbrook can become a free agent next summer.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5554710

I just don't think the George addition significantly alters their potential. They still can't beat the Warriors, Spurs, or Rockets. They also just gave up two of their only assets for a player who almost certainly won't be there a year from now.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:27 pm 

BD wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

That team is pretty much stuck in mediocrity now. They had their run, didn't win and now it's going to be tough to be a fan of that team.

Doc needs to go. He wasted CP's best years by trying to save his son's career.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:32 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Sean Highkin @highkin

Don’t expect Bulls to do anything in initial wave tonight. Their first priority, I’m told, will be getting deals done with Felicio+Mirotic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:32 pm 

If Blake can stay healthy(he can't), his Clippers tenure will be significantly better than Carmelo's NY tenure.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:33 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Sean Highkin @highkin

Don’t expect Bulls to do anything in initial wave tonight. Their first priority, I’m told, will be getting deals done with Felicio+Mirotic.

This really tells you all you need to know about how incompetent the Bulls FO is.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:02 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

GarPax don't look so bad now. Teams aren't overpaying for star (non superstar) players these days. That supermax thing is forcing teams to accurately assess so called franchise guys. George proclaimed he was leaving but that wouldn't have made much difference.

Paxson tried to get a max trade deal for Butler but no one bit. Still procured best deal of the 3 major trades of the past week.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:04 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

GarPax don't look so bad now. Teams aren't overpaying for star (non superstar) players these days. That supermax thing is forcing teams to accurately assess so called franchise guys. George proclaimed he was leaving but that wouldn't have made much difference.

Paxson tried to get a max trade deal for Butler but no one bit. Still procured best deal of the 3 major trades of the past week.

That's because he had easily the best player to trade away.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:09 pm 

There really wasn't much of a market for Jimmy Butler. That's what really came out of it. Thibs may have overpaid once it all shakes out. For what it's worth the Bulls acquired 3 lottery picks each 23 or younger.

Chris Paul though older is a better player than Butler right now. Still performing at a high level. You're wrong about that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:10 pm 

long time guy wrote:
There really wasn't much of a market for Jimmy Butler. That's what really came out of it. Thibs may have overpaid once it all shakes out. For what it's worth the Bulls acquired 3 lottery picks each 23 or younger.

Chris Paul though older is a better player than Butler right now. Still performing at a high level. You're wrong about that.

Paul/Butler is kind of a toss up but the Clippers literally had zero leverage so you can't really compare the two situations.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:13 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Paul/Butler is kind of a toss up but the Clippers literally had zero leverage so you can't really compare the two situations.

The Bulls didn't either. If they'd kept him another they would have been screwed. One year left on his deal and a year closer to 30. They had to move now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:15 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

The Bulls didn't either. If they'd kept him another they would have been screwed. One year left on his deal and a year closer to 30. They had to move now.

That's wrong. He's 27 years old in his peak prime. He would've continued to have high value. He also wasn't publicly demanding a trade. The Bulls had a shitload of leverage compared to the Clippers. Come the fuck on.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
OKC may have a shot with Westbrook having a Robin.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
3 years and $55M for Jeff Teague seems like a lot. I guess Thibs is saying fuck defense now.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:21 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

That's wrong. He's 27 years old in his peak prime. He would've continued to have high value. He also wasn't publicly demanding a trade. The Bulls had a shitload of leverage compared to the Clippers. Come the fuck on.

You're wrong. He turns 28 before the regular season starts which means he'll be 29 before the start of next season. They had more leverage than the Clippers but that don't mean it was easy trading Paul. Paul is much more accomplished than Butler and has proven that he can lead teams to 50 wins regardless of coach or supporting cast.

He also provided the Clippers with the best seasons in franchise history.

Butler led teams are .500

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next