It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Magic Johnson, trashed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:26 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
I laughed my ass off reading this article about how the Lakers are falling apart, and the guy trashed a living legend, Magic Johnson. Check this shit out:

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-power-rank ... 45607.html

1. Magic Johnson

To the best of my knowledge, there has been no discussion of the Lakers parting ways with Johnson, and his acquisition of James almost assures him of remaining as the franchise’s chief recruiter for the remainder of the superstar’s four-year contract. How much credit he deserves for landing a player who seemed intent on living in Los Angeles regardless is up for debate.

Beyond acquiring James, Johnson’s tenure as team president thus far has been an abject failure. :lol: How disastrous you believe it is for the Lakers to miss the playoffs in year one with a player coming off eight straight Finals trips probably correlates to how much you equate “beyond acquiring James” with the old saying, “Other than that, how’d you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?”

Here are the lowlights of his tenure:

— Trading 2018 Sixth Man of the Year Lou Williams for the pick that became Hart.

— Attaching future Eastern Conference All-Star D’Angelo Russell to Timozey Mozgov’s contract in a cap-clearing move that returned the pick that became Kuzma from the Brooklyn Nets.

— Signing Kentavious Caldwell-Pope to consecutive eight-figure deals. :lol: :lol: :lol:

— Drafting Lonzo Ball over Jayson Tatum.

— Lowballing the San Antonio Spurs in the Kawhi Leonard sweepstakes. :lol:

— Tampering with Paul George, and then failing to secure a free-agency meeting with him.

— Surrounding James with Rondo, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee and Michael Beasley in a series of moves that were widely mocked in their immediate aftermath. :lol: :lol:

— Trading promising young center Ivica Zubac, who he had just touted in trade talks with New Orleans, for Mike Muscala’s expiring contract in a deal that made little to no sense. :lol:

This may all be remedied if the Lakers successfully pair James with Davis and one of the many superstar free agents this summer, but there has been little indication that Leonard, Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Klay Thompson or Jimmy Butler want to play with James in Los Angeles. In fact, quite the opposite, and missing the playoffs this season isn’t doing recruitment any favors.

Other than that, things are going great for the Lakers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:49 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I never liked the Jackson to GM thing and it's been a predictable disaster.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:55 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I still love how his big idea for success and the thing that would set him apart from his predecessors was "sign more superstars." And the main strategy for getting those stars to join the Lakers was "I'm Magic Johnson."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: ....
John McDonough and Theo need to switch over to the NBA.

Seriously.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: What??
ZephMarshack wrote:
I still love how his big idea for success and the thing that would set him apart from his predecessors was "sign more superstars." And the main strategy for getting those stars to join the Lakers was "I'm Magic Johnson."

Magic is a very persuasive guy but he probably didn't anticipate LeBron being a fly in the ointment. That being said, don't count out Magic. He's shrewd and he's been around the block. There's a shit ton more to Magic Johnson than, "I'm Magic Johnson".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: ....
No matter what generation you are in, just making "old-fashioned hard work" out to be not-in-style is not going to make the game, or any of its players, better.

That is why, until pro sports is allowed to get back to more discipline-based coaching, we will continue to see a decline in the quality of certain sports.

I apologize to The Hawk