It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:17 pm 

You can see if a guy can play. That is what you get from Summer League.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:19 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
No he is too old.
The Bulls have a guy on the roster this year that is 7 months younger. :lol:

Don't know why you're laughing. Guys don't typically play after being in the league for 2 years.

Exactly. You think Moore is bad and yet you are talking up a summer league he is too good to play in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:19 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
No he is too old.

Don't know why you're laughing. Guys don't typically play after being in the league for 2 years.

I thought they were playing against other grown ass men?

They are. If you've been in the NBA for over 2 years they don't place you on the roster.

A lot of the older guys haven't been in the NBA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:20 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
No he is too old.

Exactly. You think Moore is bad and yet you are talking up a summer league he is too good to play in.

As usual you don't make much sense.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:21 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
No he is too old.

As usual you don't make much sense.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
long time guy wrote:

No you can't. Otherwise, Devean George would've been a superstar and guys like McDermott and Beasley would have been all stars.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:25 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

No you can't. Otherwise, Devean George would've been a superstar and guys like McDermott and Beasley would have been all stars.

Do you want me to name all of the great players in college that have been flops?

Devin Booker blew up in the Summer League. So have a lot of other guys.

They are playing against better players once the season starts but I'd rather watch guys play in this setting.

College coaches over coaching and stifling talent in an effort to showcase themselves is a waste.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:28 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Do you want me to name all of the great players in college that have been flops?

Devin Booker blew up in the real NBA. Nobody was calling him a future star because of summer league games.

Look, I made my point here. If you want to fool yourself into thinking these games mean anything, more power to you. Just realize that to the rest of us you sound like the meathead NFL fans that brag about their team being 4-0 in the preseason.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:29 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Devin Booker blew up in the real NBA. Nobody was calling him a future star because of summer league games.

Look, I made my point here. If you want to fool yourself into thinking these games mean anything, more power to you. Just realize that to the rest of us you sound like the meathead NFL fans that brag about their team being 4-0 in the preseason.

Actually they were saying it during the Summer League. You don't know what you're talking about.

He showed he would be a player. Murray showed he is going to be a player also. Ingram struggled in the summer league and struggled during the season.

If you know basketball you can figure out who can play and who can t. It's no guarantee but nothing is when you get down to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:36 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Actually they were saying it during the Summer League. You don't know what you're talking about.

He showed he would be a player. Murray showed he is going to be a player also. Ingram struggled in the summer league and struggled during the season.

If you know basketball you can figure out who can play and who can t. It's no guarantee but nothing is when you get down to it.

You're wrong on this and there's 20+ years of evidence we can look at showing you're wrong but we can test this out this year.

I've watched zero minutes of summer league and I will continue to not watch it. You tell me who is going to be better than expected and worse than expected this year. I'll tell you what I agree and disagree with. We can then watch the season unfold and see who is right and see if watching summer league gave you a decided advantage in the scouting department.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:39 pm 

I'm comparing it to college basketball while you are comparing it to the NBA. Compared to college ball it is better. Once you get past the blueblood programs there is a lot of bad ball being played. The quality of the game is bad. Fringe NBA guys were still the best player on their college team in most cases.

I think Jason Tatum was the best player in the draft. Does that mean he will be rookie of the year? I doubt it. Logjam at his position. Ball is going to flop.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:42 pm 

long time guy wrote:
I'm comparing it to college basketball while you are comparing it to the NBA. Compared to college ball it is better. Once you get past the blueblood programs there is a lot of bad ball being played. The quality of the game is bad. Fringe NBA guys were still the best player on their college team in most cases.

You're saying it's a valuable thing to watch if you want to get an early opinion on a player. I'm disagreeing and saying your opinion won't mean anything because you're basing it off games that don't mean anything. I think the test I just laid out is a good one to see who is right. Nobody is talking about college in this scenario.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:44 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

You're saying it's a valuable thing to watch if you want to get an early opinion on a player. I'm disagreeing and saying your opinion won't mean anything because you're basing it off games that don't mean anything. I think the test I just laid out is a good one to see who is right. Nobody is talking about college in this scenario.

Vegas hasn't started. Once it's over I will have a much more informed opinion.

My original point was that it was better than college basketball. I'm not saying it's the greatest thing ever but it's better than that.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:45 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I disagree but let's do it then. Bump this whenever you want with your list

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:46 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I disagree but let's do it then. Bump this whenever you want with your list

It should be over by the 15th I think.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:56 pm 

I cannot fathom that people actually watch summer league games. And to consider that summer league games are better than college games is crazy.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:13 pm 

Villanova was one of the top teams in college basketball. Their quality of play was often bad and the reason was that there wasn't much talent on their team. That is college hoops in a nutshell.

A lot of bad play camouflaged by enthusiasm.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:37 am 

long time guy wrote:
Villanova was one of the top teams in college basketball. Their quality of play was often bad and the reason was that there wasn't much talent on their team. That is college hoops in a nutshell.

You just say things don't you? A good team was actually bad is a pretty useless statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:23 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

You just say things don't you? A good team was actually bad is a pretty useless statement.

It's about relativity Brick. They were good relative to what is available in college basketball. There is a lot of bad basketball being played in college these days. Villanova didn't have one guy that will be on an NBA roster. That speaks to quality of play and overall talent.

Saying that there is nothing to be gained from Summer League is useless too. I can name a bunch of guys that have made teams based on Summer League games. I can also name guys that have used it as a,stepping stone to NBA stardom. I can also provide evidence of guys that you knew were going to flop just by watching them in the Summer league.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:30 am 

long time guy wrote:
It's about relativity Brick. They were good relative to what is available in college basketball. There is a lot of bad basketball being played in college these days. Villanova didn't have one guy that will be on an NBA roster. That speaks to quality of play and overall talent.
That doesn't help your argument. The #1 pick in the draft played on a team that went 9-22. It wasn't until pick 10 you even get a player drafted who played in the Final Four this year. The national champ had their first player drafted at 15 and only 2 total players drafted in the first round. This isn't a fluke either. The list of lottery picks is filled mostly with college players that didn't do great things in college. Even the Kentucky superteams have proven to be beatable with more NBA talent than most other conferences have combined. To take it a step further, you can look at the superstars of the NBA today and the ones who went to college mostly didn't accomplish great things in college. Kevin Durant is going to be an all time great and his team was third in the Big 12 and got blown out in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Now, for anyone else reading this, I don't want you to be confused. I'm only using this to show that "NBA talent" on college rosters is a terrible way to judge college basketball. If anything, the fact that future pros who can choose any place to play struggle to achieve greatness in college shows that the game is of higher quality.Otherwise you'd have Fultz, Simmons, Towns, Wiggins, and Bennett crushing the college game. Only Towns really did and his super team still lost without even making the Championship game!

The fact is that in the NCAA coaching and style of play can overcome raw talent and that is a good thing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:02 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
That doesn't help your argument. The #1 pick in the draft played on a team that went 9-22. It wasn't until pick 10 you even get a player drafted who played in the Final Four this year. The national champ had their first player drafted at 15 and only 2 total players drafted in the first round. This isn't a fluke either. The list of lottery picks is filled mostly with college players that didn't do great things in college. Even the Kentucky superteams have proven to be beatable with more NBA talent than most other conferences have combined. To take it a step further, you can look at the superstars of the NBA today and the ones who went to college mostly didn't accomplish great things in college. Kevin Durant is going to be an all time great and his team was third in the Big 12 and got blown out in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Now, for anyone else reading this, I don't want you to be confused. I'm only using this to show that "NBA talent" on college rosters is a terrible way to judge college basketball. If anything, the fact that future pros who can choose any place to play struggle to achieve greatness in college shows that the game is of higher quality.Otherwise you'd have Fultz, Simmons, Towns, Wiggins, and Bennett crushing the college game. Only Towns really did and his super team still lost without even making the Championship game!

The fact is that in the NCAA coaching and style of play can overcome raw talent and that is a good thing.

Winning in college is mostly centered on stacking your teams with older players that weren't good enough to go pro early but good enough to be good college players. Fultz was on a terrible team playing for a coach that would soon be fired. Guys aren't looking to do great things in college. They are looking to go pro. The ones that stick around are doing so by default..

If NBA,caliber guys stuck around for more than a year you'd really see the separation. 18 19 year old guys playing against teams stacked with 22 23 olds that have played together for 2-3 years isn't a,good way to judge either.

I watched Frank Mason for 3 years and never thought that he was anything special. Experience and a little more confidence and bang he becomes a college star. He will be a rotation player at best in the NBA. He can enjoy all of the college accolades that he wishes and he has no chance of being better than Fultz.

Talent wise the college game stinks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:17 am 

long time guy wrote:
Winning in college is mostly centered on stacking your teams with older players that weren't good enough to go pro early but good enough to be good college players. Fultz was on a terrible team playing for a coach that would soon be fired. Guys aren't looking to do great things in college. They are looking to go pro. The ones that stick around are doing so by default.
You are just going down the list of standard excuses. Do you honestly think that most NBA lottery picks don't care about winning in college? If they do, then that is on them. I've seen a lot of future NBA first round draft picks. They care a great deal in college. I've seen players on their way to the NBA literally crying when their season ends.

long time guy wrote:
If NBA,caliber guys stuck around for more than a year you'd really see the separation. 18 19 year old guys playing against teams stacked with 22 23 olds that have played together for 2-3 years isn't a,good way to judge either.
Hey look, another excuse! I guess the NBA talent isn't that much better if they can't compete well with guys who are 2 years older. You really need to pick a side. The lack of NBA talent in college means it is bad but actual NBA talent can't beat guys who are literally a few years older and that is also bad!

long time guy wrote:
I watched Frank Mason for 3 years and never thought that he was anything special. Experience and a little more confidence and bang he becomes a college star. He will be a rotation player at best in the NBA. He can enjoy all of the college accolades that he wishes and he has no chance of being better than Fultz.
So? Maybe your problem is you watch college basketball and think about what the players will be like in 5-10 years rather than what they are now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
long time guy wrote:

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NBA/2017/07/04/Los-Angeles-Lakers-sign-first-round-picks-Lonzo-Ball-Kyle-Kuzma-Josh-Hart/6531499142916/

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, Jalen Brunson will be an NBA player.

But, regardless of that, your opinion that you have to have NBA players on your team in order to play good and compelling college basketball is about as idiotic as COF's opinions on privacy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:20 am 

long time guy wrote:

I would bet a mortgage payment that you didn't watch 2 Villanova games all year and none before the tournament.

Only a complete moron would say that Nova's quality of play was often bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:28 am 

Watched my first ever summer league game yesterday, Utah vs Philly. Anyone who says that summer league is good basketball is full on genius. It's basically just 5 games of 1v1 going on at the same time. One pass (maybe) and then someone dribbles out the shot clock till its time to force something up.

As for the rookies in the game, Fultz ended up with the better line, but Mitchell looked much better (at least in the 3/4 of the game that I watched). Fultz must've lit it up late cause he looked pretty unimpressive most of the game including an uncontested airball, a travel and a palming violation. 6 turnovers to 5 assists. Mitchell shot poorly, but had some pretty impressive athletic moments where he looked at a different level than everyone else on the court.

In other games, Tatum continues to play well. Kennard continues to put up points every game he plays.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:32 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Winning in college is mostly centered on stacking your teams with older players that weren't good enough to go pro early but good enough to be good college players. Fultz was on a terrible team playing for a coach that would soon be fired. Guys aren't looking to do great things in college. They are looking to go pro. The ones that stick around are doing so by default.
You are just going down the list of standard excuses. Do you honestly think that most NBA lottery picks don't care about winning in college? If they do, then that is on them. I've seen a lot of future NBA first round draft picks. They care a great deal in college. I've seen players on their way to the NBA literally crying when their season ends.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=de%27aaron+fox+crying&qpvt=de%27aaron+fox+crying&view=detail&mid=29B55BFE41160FA75B1929B55BFE41160FA75B19&FORM=VRDGAR

No Brick, you're wrong..as this video clearly demonstrates.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:18 am 

shakes wrote:
Watched my first ever summer league game yesterday, Utah vs Philly. Anyone who says that summer league is good basketball is full on genius. It's basically just 5 games of 1v1 going on at the same time. One pass (maybe) and then someone dribbles out the shot clock till its time to force something up.

As for the rookies in the game, Fultz ended up with the better line, but Mitchell looked much better (at least in the 3/4 of the game that I watched). Fultz must've lit it up late cause he looked pretty unimpressive most of the game including an uncontested airball, a travel and a palming violation. 6 turnovers to 5 assists. Mitchell shot poorly, but had some pretty impressive athletic moments where he looked at a different level than everyone else on the court.

In other games, Tatum continues to play well. Kennard continues to put up points every game he plays.

You have never watched a Summer League but surprisingly you're a qualified expert somehow.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:23 am 

long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

You have never watched a Summer League but surprisingly you're a qualified expert somehow.

I watched one. That's about as many college basketball games as you watch a year yet you're an expert on that.

You only need one summer league game to realize its total shit. Only reason to watch is to get a look at the rookies. I was fastforwarding through all Philly possessions where Fultz wasn't on the floor and likewise for Utah when Mitchell was getting a breather. That is the extent of all you need to see when watching one of these games unless you are really into trying to get a glimpse at a guy who might squeeze is way onto a roster as the 12th man.

I also notice you didn't reply to my post that showed how wrong you were about Villanova.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:28 am 

shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:

http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NBA/2017/07/04/Los-Angeles-Lakers-sign-first-round-picks-Lonzo-Ball-Kyle-Kuzma-Josh-Hart/6531499142916/

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, Jalen Brunson will be an NBA player.

But, regardless of that, your opinion that you have to have NBA players on your team in order to play good and compelling college basketball is about as idiotic as COF's opinions on privacy.

You can count on 2 fingers the number of championship games that have been well played over the past 10 years. Jalen Brunson isn't a pro you know nothing jerk. You'd be hard pressed to find him going in the 2nd round of anyone's mock drafts.

I watched Villanova a few times and was unimpressed with their great "team" play. Bunch of old guys playing against inferior competition. Depaul team ranked about 250 out of 300 schools took them to wire.

I don't watch Summer League games for great team play. I watch it to get a gauge on high draft picks. If I watch Boston it is for Tatum and Brown. Philly it's Fultz. Utah Exum and Mitchell. You watch for talent not some idiotic coach beating the hell out UIC because he has 7 top 50 kids on his roster.

There is little to get excited about when it comes to college basketball. It's a joke and the so called great coaches with their matchup zones and motion offenses are the biggest joke of them all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:30 am 

shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

I watched one. That's about as many college basketball games as you watch a year yet you're an expert on that.

You only need one summer league game to realize its total shit. Only reason to watch is to get a look at the rookies. I was fastforwarding through all Philly possessions where Fultz wasn't on the floor and likewise for Utah when Mitchell was getting a breather. That is the extent of all you need to see when watching one of these games unless you are really into trying to get a glimpse at a guy who might squeeze is way onto a roster as the 12th man.

I also notice you didn't reply to my post that showed how wrong you were about Villanova.

You keep saying that but it's obvious you don't know a damn thing. Brunson a pro is an instant disqualifier right there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next