It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Steph has two rings. If Lonzo is the offensive player Steph is he's gonna make 12 all star games and probably win multiple rings as well.

Steve Kerr has 5. You bash guys like Okafor and others for not playing defense while lauding the poster child for guys that don't play defense.

Steph is useful on defense. He has led the league in steals. He's not a good one on one defender but he's good enough on help defense that GS has still been one of the top 3 defensive teams for three years in a row with him as their best and then second best player.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Steph has two rings. If Lonzo is the offensive player Steph is he's gonna make 12 all star games and probably win multiple rings as well.

Steve Kerr has 5. You bash guys like Okafor and others for not playing defense while lauding the poster child for guys that don't play defense.

Steph is useful on defense. He has led the league in steals. He's not a good one on one defender but he's good enough on help defense that GS has still been one of the top 3 defensive teams for three years in a row with him as their best and then second best player.

If you're not decent at one on one D then that's a lack of effort. Guys can blow by you due to speed or overpower you, but through effort and positioning alone you should be a nuisance in a one on one matchup. Curry is a turnstile.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:43 am 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

They have 4 guys that are good to very good that cover for him. He stinks defensively and winning doesn't obscure that. It's why Westbrook and Durant were laughing when the question as to whether he is a good defender was posed. They have had to hide him for the past 5 or 6 years.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:51 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

If you're not decent at one on one D then that's a lack of effort. Guys can blow by you due to speed or overpower you, but through effort and positioning alone you should be a nuisance in a one on one matchup. Curry is a turnstile.

That's not true at all. You don't lead the league in steals if you aren't giving effort defensively. Steph isn't very athletic or strong, and he's short. Those three things are going to make it very difficult to be a good one on one defender against PGs. He's not Isaiah Thomas defensively. He does have value on that end of the court.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:53 am 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

They have 4 guys that are good to very good that cover for him. He stinks defensively and winning doesn't obscure that. It's why Westbrook and Durant were laughing when the question as to whether he is a good defender was posed. They have had to hide him for the past 5 or 6 years.

If he stinks defensively than he is obviously one of the best offensive players to ever play the game. There's no other way to explain his MVPs, championships, and All NBA First Team selections. It's hilarious to hear you continue to dog Steph when he's on his way to being the most credentialed NBA player in the entire league once LeBron retires

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

That's not true at all. You don't lead the league in steals if you aren't giving effort defensively. Steph isn't very athletic or strong, and he's short. Those three things are going to make it very difficult to be a good one on one defender against PGs. He's not Isaiah Thomas defensively. He does have value on that end of the court.

The lack of strength is a choice. Sub-par one on one defenders can intercept passes all the time, but that doesn't mean they give effort on D as a whole. At least he's not Harden-level bad.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:00 am 

veganfan21 wrote:

The lack of strength is a choice. Sub-par one on one defenders can intercept passes all the time, but that doesn't mean they give effort on D as a whole. At least he's not Harden-level bad.

I have enough respect for you that I think you're sort of trolling here and not this dumb. If you played in the NBA today and got shredded by terrible players would it be because you lacked effort? It's the same concept. Some really good NBA players are terrible at some things. Steph isn't even a terrible NBA defensive player. There's dozens of guards in the league as bad or worse than he is at one on one defense. The spotlight just gets shown on that end because of how great he is offensively. Leash gets mad when I say this but I have no choice since we are discussing defense - if you think Steph lacks effort on that end you aren't watching him play.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:11 am 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

If he stinks defensively than he is obviously one of the best offensive players to ever play the game. There's no other way to explain his MVPs, championships, and All NBA First Team selections. It's hilarious to hear you continue to dog Steph when he's on his way to being the most credentialed NBA player in the entire league once LeBron retires

Steve Nash also won back to back MVPs. Still didnt make him a good defender. I believe Dirk has one too. Didn't make him good at defense either.

Curry isn't even the best player on his own team. As far as his defense goes they place him on whomever the weakest offensive guy is from 1-3. Irving was instructed to attack him whenever he switched onto him in the half court. Westbrook attacked him relentlessly the year before also. Eventually they moved Thompson over around game 4 because he was taking Curry out. He stinks on defense.

The excuses about being injured were levied but the truth is that G.S. rarely if ever has him guard offensive minded players.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:13 am 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

I have enough respect for you that I think you're sort of trolling here and not this dumb. If you played in the NBA today and got shredded by terrible players would it be because you lacked effort? It's the same concept. Some really good NBA players are terrible at some things. Steph isn't even a terrible NBA defensive player. There's dozens of guards in the league as bad or worse than he is at one on one defense. The spotlight just gets shown on that end because of how great he is offensively. Leash gets mad when I say this but I have no choice since we are discussing defense - if you think Steph lacks effort on that end you aren't watching him play.

The spotlight gets shown on him because he is terrible at defense. This is quite the spin job.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:19 am 

long time guy wrote:
Steve Nash also won back to back MVPs. Still didnt make him a good defender. I believe Dirk has one too. Didn't make him good at defense either.

How many titles have each won?
Quote:
Curry isn't even the best player on his own team. As far as his defense goes they place him on whomever the weakest offensive guy is from 1-3. Irving was instructed to attack him whenever he switched onto him in the half court. Westbrook attacked him relentlessly the year before also.

Iriving and Westbrook attacked him relentlessly and he sent both of them home.

Quote:
The excuses about being injured were levied but the truth is that G.S. rarely if ever has him guard offensive minded players.

Right, they don't need him to in order to win the most games of any team in NBA HISTORY over a three year span.

Quote:
The spotlight gets shown on him because he is terrible at defense. This is quite the spin job.

I don't think you know what a spin job entails. I'm saying he isn't very good on defense(true) but he's not as bad as many NBA guards(true) and either way it doesn't matter because he is so good offensively he has been the best player on a championship team(true). You are like Skip Bayless on Lebron in how retarded this criticism is.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Steph isn't a good one on one defender, but he is a good team defender.

The end.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:23 am 

Jbi11s wrote:

The end.

You must be new here. Read the Welcome Section.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:24 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

The end.

You must be new here. Read the Welcome Section.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:25 am 

Jbi11s wrote:

The end.

He is very good at guarding guys that couldn't score even if you left them in Vegas with a wad of cash and three hookers. That's about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:26 am 

long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

The end.

He is very good at guarding guys that couldn't score even if you left them in Vegas with a wad of cash and three hookers. That's about it.

Yeah I think everyone agrees he's not good at one on one defense.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:27 am 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Quote:
Curry isn't even the best player on his own team. As far as his defense goes they place him on whomever the weakest offensive guy is from 1-3. Irving was instructed to attack him whenever he switched onto him in the half court. Westbrook attacked him relentlessly the year before also.

Quote:

Right, they don't need him to in order to win the most games of any team in NBA HISTORY over a three year span.

Quote:

I don't think you know what a spin job entails. I'm saying he isn't very good on defense(true) but he's not as bad as many NBA guards(true) and either way it doesn't matter because he is so good offensively he has been the best player on a championship team(true). You are like Skip Bayless on Lebron in how retarded this criticism is.

When you say that Curry isn't even terrible at defense and the only reason people focus on it is because of his greatness offensively, that qualifies as spin.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:28 am 

long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

The end.

You don't think Steph is great and you don't think draymond is good. The only conclusion I'm left to draw is you must think Klay Thompson is the best player in the NBA. Don't bring up Durant because they were champions before he arrived.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:29 am 

LTG so we're arguing between the difference of "isn't very good" and "terrible"?

Come on. I'd rather argue about Thibs and Jimmy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:31 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

The end.

He is terrible at team defense too. That is the term everyone uses as a qualifier for garbage defenders. He is helped by having 4 guys that are very good defenders play alongside him. They help to cover for him.

I will remember this the next time FF bashes someone for their defense. Curry is easily bottom 5 in the league.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:31 am 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

When you say that Curry isn't even terrible at defense and the only reason people focus on it is because of his greatness offensively, that qualifies as spin.

I know you hate stats and metrics because they point out your eye test is usually wrong, but a terrible defensive player isn't going to lead the league in steals and have positive advanced defensive metrics(and yes, those take into account who you are guarding).

But either way you can't argue your way out of the fact that Steph led his team to a title and was the second best player on another title team, as well as a 2x MVP and perennial All NBA First Team selection. This is why I said you sound as bad as Skip criticizing LeBron.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:32 am 

long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

The end.

He is terrible at team defense too. That is the term everyone uses as a qualifier for garbage defenders. He is helped by having 4 guys that are very good defenders play alongside him. They help to cover for him.

I will remember this the next time FF bashes someone for their defense. Curry is easily bottom 5 in the league.

He's not close to bottom 25 in the league. If you want I'll let you amend that to bottom 5 among all stars.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:33 am 

long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

The end.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:34 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
LTG so we're arguing between the difference of "isn't very good" and "terrible"?

I'm not really debating the semantical side but I will concede on the isn't very good. He isn't good at team either but I can leave it for another day.

On another note it's a beautiful thing that all 3 guys are all in one place.

What do you think they will do?

Win total?

Seeding in the West?

Last edited by long time guy on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:34 am 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I know you hate stats and metrics because they point out your eye test is usually wrong, but a terrible defensive player isn't going to lead the league in steals and have positive advanced defensive metrics(and yes, those take into account who you are guarding).

But either way you can't argue your way out of the fact that Steph led his team to a title and was the second best player on another title team, as well as a 2x MVP and perennial All NBA First Team selection. This is why I said you sound as bad as Skip criticizing LeBron.

Long Time Bayless

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
a whole lotta hot garbage and the Bulls passed over Smith :roll:

Stick to the script. Summer League doesn't matter remember. That is until it does apparently

Many people has Smith as potentially the best player in the draft before Summer League. There seemed to be close to a concensus that he was the steal of the draft.

If Summer league means a lot why are you still so reluctant to admit you were wrong about Lonzo?

I still think he will be a bust. Some of the stuff from the summer league was hype related. He shot a terrible percentage from 3. Shot more airballs than anyone in the Summer League and his defense was porous. He passed the ball very well. I gave him credit for that. There are still holes in his game that need to be corrected before I'm ready to adjust what I said. thought. Of the three guys that I wanted to see him play against he caught a break against 2 and left injured against the 3rd. He played well against Smith but he also showed he couldn't guard him.

Have you come out and said you were wrong about Markannen?

:lol: you just keep digging in, don't you? He's got a better chance of leading the league in assists as a rookie than being a bust.

Honestly if someone told me right now I had to bet $1000 and my only two choices were "lonzo is a bust" or "lonzo ends up in the HOF" I'd put my $$ on the HOF. Not saying he's going to be there, but the chances of him being there are greater than the chances of him being a bust IMO.

Summer league may not mean much, but the guy just put together the greatest performance in Summer League history.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:39 am 

shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
a whole lotta hot garbage and the Bulls passed over Smith :roll:

Stick to the script. Summer League doesn't matter remember. That is until it does apparently

Many people has Smith as potentially the best player in the draft before Summer League. There seemed to be close to a concensus that he was the steal of the draft.

If Summer league means a lot why are you still so reluctant to admit you were wrong about Lonzo?

I still think he will be a bust. Some of the stuff from the summer league was hype related. He shot a terrible percentage from 3. Shot more airballs than anyone in the Summer League and his defense was porous. He passed the ball very well. I gave him credit for that. There are still holes in his game that need to be corrected before I'm ready to adjust what I said. thought. Of the three guys that I wanted to see him play against he caught a break against 2 and left injured against the 3rd. He played well against Smith but he also showed he couldn't guard him.

Have you come out and said you were wrong about Markannen?

:lol: you just keep digging in, don't you? He's got a better chance of leading the league in assists as a rookie than being a bust.

Honestly if someone told me right now I had to bet $1000 and my only two choices were "lonzo is a bust" or "lonzo ends up in the HOF" I'd put my $$ on the HOF. Not saying he's going to be there, but the chances of him being there are greater than the chances of him being a bust IMO.

Summer league may not mean much, but the guy just put together the greatest performance in Summer League history.

No he didn't. He was the beneficiary of being the most hyped player to ever participate in Summer League. The Summer League has taken off since it has been in Vegas. Factor in L.A. aspect and voila! It's Parker Lewis can t lose for a guy like Ball.

Summer League was no where near as big back when guys like LeBron played. Rose either. You didn't have wall to wall coverage like there is now.

Shakes let me ask you this. If he is a bottom tier starting point guard in 5 years (bottom 15) does that qualify as bust?

Last edited by long time guy on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
It is kind of funny that you think Summer League is informative, I don't, Lonzo wins Summer League MVP, and I think he will be good and you think he won't be.

Lonzo Ball shot 38% from the field

23% from 3

5 turnovers per game.

Shitty defense.

He wasn't the best player in that Summer league.

There was a lot of hype associated with that award. He also averaged 32 minutes per. Really more than that if you exclude the last game where he was injured.

I forgot that Simmons is a rookie. I will revise it. Put him on the first team and remove Fox.

We will see where we are at the end of the year.

Lonzo ball shot better than Steph Curry in Summer league: FACT.

Lonzo wasn't the best player in Summer League? The voters and history disagree with you.

Turnovers? All rookies have issues with turnovers. And as long as he continues to have an assist to turnover ratio greater that 2:1 I wouldn't be at all concerned.

Fist player in summer league history to average more than 9 assists. First player in SL history to have a triple double, he had 2 of them. First player in SL history to have a game with 30+ points and 10+ assists.

BUST. :lol: :lol:

long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

I'm not really debating the semantical side but I will concede on the isn't very good. He isn't good at team either but I can leave it for another day.

Win total?

Seeding in the West?

Twolves?

Gimme a minute to look at the other western conference teams, but first instinct is a 6th seed.

Golden state is prolly #1 again if they stay healthy. Rockets will give them a run for their $ tho. Also don't like the idea of bringing Melo to Houston. I could be wrong, but it doesn't give me a good feeling.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:42 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Win total?

Seeding in the West?

Twolves?

Gimme a minute to look at the other western conference teams, but first instinct is a 6th seed.

Golden state is prolly #1 again if they stay healthy. Rockets will give them a run for their $ tho. Also don't like the idea of bringing Melo to Houston. I could be wrong, but it doesn't give me a good feeling.

Yeah Wolves. CBS Sports line has them at 47 wins

They have the Bulls at 31.

Philly at 41.
G.S. at 68

Cleveland at 55

S.A. at 52 or 55 I think.

I will try and post it once I get a chance if no one beats me to it.

Last edited by long time guy on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:42 am 

long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Win total?

Seeding in the West?

You're just plain wrong on Curry. He isn't a good team defender? Again, leading the league in steals would be a good place to rebut. I would also add it he has a career DBPM of -0.5. DBPM is far from perfect or definitive but that's the best tool we have stat wise to evaluate defense, and he is just barely below league average. And his team wins all the fucking time, so there is that too. You really don't have anything on your side here. It's a bad look to try to pretend like one of the best players in the game isn't one of the best players in the game. Find better arguments to waste our time with.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next