It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:43 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
It is kind of funny that you think Summer League is informative, I don't, Lonzo wins Summer League MVP, and I think he will be good and you think he won't be.

Lonzo Ball shot 38% from the field

23% from 3

5 turnovers per game.

Shitty defense.

He wasn't the best player in that Summer league.

There was a lot of hype associated with that award. He also averaged 32 minutes per. Really more than that if you exclude the last game where he was injured.

I forgot that Simmons is a rookie. I will revise it. Put him on the first team and remove Fox.

We will see where we are at the end of the year.

Lonzo ball shot better than Steph Curry in Summer league: FACT.

Lonzo wasn't the best player in Summer League? The voters and history disagree with you.

Turnovers? All rookies have issues with turnovers. And as long as he continues to have an assist to turnover ratio greater that 2:1 I wouldn't be at all concerned.

Fist player in summer league history to average more than 9 assists. First player in SL history to have a triple double, he had 2 of them. First player in SL history to have a game with 30+ points and 10+ assists.

BUST. :lol: :lol:

I got him as ROY but none of that means a fuckin thing. Summer league is literally worthless when it comes to predicting future success.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:44 am 

long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
LTG so we're arguing between the difference of "isn't very good" and "terrible"?

Come on. I'd rather argue about Thibs and Jimmy.

I'm not really debating the semantical side but I will concede on the isn't very good. He isn't good at team either but I can leave it for another day.

On another note it's a beautiful thing that all 3 guys are all in one place.

What do you think they will do?

Win total?

Seeding in the West?

Twolves?

Gimme a minute to look at the other western conference teams, but first instinct is a 6th seed.

Golden state is prolly #1 again if they stay healthy. Rockets will give them a run for their $ tho. Also don't like the idea of bringing Melo to Houston. I could be wrong, but it doesn't give me a good feeling.

Yeah Wolves. CBS Sports line has them at 47 wins

They have the Bulls at 31.

Philly at 41.
G.S. at 68

Cleveland at 55

S.A. at 52 or 55 I think.

I will try and post it once I get a chance if no one beats me to it.

52-30 and a 4/5 seed sounds about right.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Clips, Jazz, and Memphis will most likely not make the playoffs this season. Denver will replace one of those teams. Minnesota as well. Pelicans?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
FavreFan wrote:
Shakes you have strong opinions on this rookie class so feel free to drop in your predictions as well

I think you guys are both going to be wrong about Tatum. Not enough minutes and playing time to get he numbers needed for all rookie first team, maybe not even for 2nd team with this class.

FF is wrong about Zach Collins (unless you're talking about J. Collins which I doubt since you didn't watch summer league). He probably had the worst summer league of any first round pick and was greatly outplayed by teammate Swanigan.

My way too early predictions for all rookie:

First team:
Ball (will lead the league in assists as a rookie)
Simmons
Josh Jackson
Smith
Fultz

2nd team:
Fox
J. Collins
D. Mitchell
Swanigan
Kennard

Could move up: Bam Adebayo and Kuzma.

I'm a little concerned about how Philly is going to play with all that youth. Simmons and Fultz are both ball dominant and the big guy is going to need a lot of touches. I wouldn't be shocked to see Fultz's stats suffer a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
shakes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Shakes you have strong opinions on this rookie class so feel free to drop in your predictions as well

I think you guys are both going to be wrong about Tatum. Not enough minutes and playing time to get he numbers needed for all rookie first team, maybe not even for 2nd team with this class.

FF is wrong about Zach Collins (unless you're talking about J. Collins which I doubt since you didn't watch summer league). He probably had the worst summer league of any first round pick and was greatly outplayed by teammate Swanigan.

First team:
Simmons
Josh Jackson
Smith
Fultz

2nd team:
Fox
J. Collins
D. Mitchell
Swanigan
Kennard

I'm a little concerned about how Philly is going to play with all that youth. Simmons and Fultz are both ball dominant and the big guy is going to need a lot of touches. I wouldn't be shocked to see Fultz's stats suffer a bit.

Simmons has come out and said he's the point guard, so we'll see how that goes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:52 am 

shakes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

First team:
Simmons
Josh Jackson
Smith
Fultz

2nd team:
Fox
J. Collins
D. Mitchell
Swanigan
Kennard

I picked Zach Collins and Allen becausr you need centers and there aren't great options. You and LTG picked invalid All Rookie teams.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:55 am 

shakes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

First team:
Simmons
Josh Jackson
Smith
Fultz

2nd team:
Fox
J. Collins
D. Mitchell
Swanigan
Kennard

I agree on Philly. I forgot about Simmons still being classified as a rookie. I think he will win ROY. Brown has already said that he is going to run the team. 3 young guys all trying to establish themselves. Someone or 2 will most likely be left out. Reddick Saric and that shot happy ass Covington will also have to get shots too.

Don't know about Ball leading in assist either. He will have to avg 11 or better to do it if you go by the league leaders from last season.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:55 am 

FavreFan wrote:
shakes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

First team:
Simmons
Josh Jackson
Smith
Fultz

2nd team:
Fox
J. Collins
D. Mitchell
Swanigan
Kennard

I picked Zach Collins and Allen becausr you need centers and there aren't great options. You and LTG picked invalid All Rookie teams.

There are strict guidelines for positions on all rookie teams???? I thought they just pick the best 5?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:58 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
Clips, Jazz, and Memphis will most likely not make the playoffs this season. Denver will replace one of those teams. Minnesota as well. Pelicans?

I got the Pelicans in. Memphis out. Think Clippers will sneak in. I think the Jazz will drop out. Denver in as well. I got Phoenix as a dark horse. Wolves in also.

Top 4

G.S.
OKC
S.A.
Houston. Not in any particular order.

Last edited by long time guy on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:00 pm 

long time guy wrote:
I agree on Philly. I forgot about Simmons still being classified as a rookie. I think he will win ROY. Brown has already said that he is going to run the team. 3 young guys all trying to establish themselves. Someone or 2 will most likely be left out. Reddick Saric and that shot happy ass Covington will also have to get shots too.

Don't know about Ball leading in assist either. He will have to avg 11 or better to do it if you go by the league leaders from last season.

I think Ball is going to do to assist leaderboard what Rodman did to rebounding leaderboard back in the day. Its set up perfectly for him in a day and age when PG's look to score more than pass. I wouldn't be shocked to see Ball average 2 more assists than whoever is in 2nd.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:02 pm 

shakes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
shakes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

First team:
Simmons
Josh Jackson
Smith
Fultz

2nd team:
Fox
J. Collins
D. Mitchell
Swanigan
Kennard

There are strict guidelines for positions on all rookie teams???? I thought they just pick the best 5?

Im not sure how strict it is but I do believe there needs to be a Center selected.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:05 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

I got the Pelicans in. Memphis out. Think Clippers will sneak in. I think the Jazz will drop out. Denver in as well. I got Phoenix as a dark horse. Wolves in also.

Top 4

G.S.
OKC
S.A.
Houston. Not in any particular order.

Phoenix? :lol:

They will be a bottom 5 team and have a chance to be the worst team in the league.
No chance OKC tops the Spurs unless Kawhi misses time.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
I will not give any credence to a league that plays at the most 8 games and I'd say 80% won't see an NBA bench

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:51 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
It is kind of funny that you think Summer League is informative, I don't, Lonzo wins Summer League MVP, and I think he will be good and you think he won't be.

23% from 3

5 turnovers per game.

Shitty defense.

There was a lot of hype associated with that award. He also averaged 32 minutes per. Really more than that if you exclude the last game where he was injured.

I forgot that Simmons is a rookie. I will revise it. Put him on the first team and remove Fox.

Lonzo wasn't the best player in Summer League? The voters and history disagree with you.

Turnovers? All rookies have issues with turnovers. And as long as he continues to have an assist to turnover ratio greater that 2:1 I wouldn't be at all concerned.

Fist player in summer league history to average more than 9 assists. First player in SL history to have a triple double, he had 2 of them. First player in SL history to have a game with 30+ points and 10+ assists.

I got him as ROY but none of that means a fuckin thing. Summer league is literally worthless when it comes to predicting future success.

It's more of a predictor than anything I will see in a college basketball game. If Summer League was as worthless as you constantly make it out to be then why do guys get signed to NBA jobs each and every year?

Every guy playing in the Summer League is ensured of being a professional basketball player. Only about 2% of the guys playing college ball can say that.

Lonzo Ball shot 42% from 3 in college and 23% in the Summer League 55% and 38% overall. You don't think the guys he played against had anything to do with it? He also demonstrated that he will have trouble guarding NBA caliber guards. Did anyone predict that while he was in college?

It's not the be all end all but you can find out about guys if you want to. The level of ability is simply greater. Frank Mason dominated college basketball. Did you hear anything about him in Vegas? Nope because now he is playing against men not boys and the weakest of the guards he matches up with are his equal or better.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:55 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
LTG so we're arguing between the difference of "isn't very good" and "terrible"?

Come on. I'd rather argue about Thibs and Jimmy.

I'm not really debating the semantical side but I will concede on the isn't very good. He isn't good at team either but I can leave it for another day.

On another note it's a beautiful thing that all 3 guys are all in one place.

What do you think they will do?

Win total?

Seeding in the West?

You're just plain wrong on Curry. He isn't a good team defender? Again, leading the league in steals would be a good place to rebut. I would also add it he has a career DBPM of -0.5. DBPM is far from perfect or definitive but that's the best tool we have stat wise to evaluate defense, and he is just barely below league average. And his team wins all the fucking time, so there is that too. You really don't have anything on your side here. It's a bad look to try to pretend like one of the best players in the game isn't one of the best players in the game. Find better arguments to waste our time with.

You're not making much sense with "Curry plays defense" crap. His defense is a running joke.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... lKG-1UEI8A

You must know it to be true because you trying to instigate "best players into the discussion. His defense is terrible. It's on display every time he suits up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:02 pm 

shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

23% from 3

5 turnovers per game.

Shitty defense.

Jayson Tatum was much more impressive than Ball and when Lakers played Celtics he had 27 and 11. He demonstrated that he was better during that game. That was even with all the Ball Hype.

You can excuse the poor shooting and terrible defense if you like but it's only going to look worse once he hits the league.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:51 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

23% from 3

5 turnovers per game.

Shitty defense.

It's more of a predictor than anything I will see in a college basketball game. If Summer League was as worthless as you constantly make it out to be then why do guys get signed to NBA jobs each and every year?

Every guy playing in the Summer League is ensured of being a professional basketball player. Only about 2% of the guys playing college ball can say that.

Lonzo Ball shot 42% from 3 in college and 23% in the Summer League 55% and 38% overall. You don't think the guys he played against had anything to do with it? He also demonstrated that he will have trouble guarding NBA caliber guards. Did anyone predict that while he was in college?

It's not the be all end all but you can find out about guys if you want to. The level of ability is simply greater. Frank Mason dominated college basketball. Did you hear anything about him in Vegas? Nope because now he is playing against men not boys and the weakest of the guards he matches up with are his equal or better.

Ball played 4 Summer League games and 36 college games.....that just stupid

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:17 pm 

long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

23% from 3

5 turnovers per game.

Shitty defense.

Jayson Tatum was much more impressive than Ball and when Lakers played Celtics he had 27 and 11. He demonstrated that he was better during that game. That was even with all the Ball Hype.

You can excuse the poor shooting and terrible defense if you like but it's only going to look worse once he hits the league.

:lol: Tatum was so impressive he didn't even make 1st team all summer league. And he dominated Ball in that game when Ball was in the process of getting the first triple double in summer league history.

I look at summer league like a progression. Did the player get better as the league went on? Its inarguable that Ball got much better each and every night out there and by the end he played a flawless half vs Dennis Smith where he went 5/7 from the field, had double digit assists and not a single turnover. I think that performance is much more relevant than his 0-11 game, his very fist professional game ever.

Did Tatum get better every game? Nope. And you love pointing out Ball's shortcomings and how they will translate to the next level, but you haven't talked about the fact that Tatum showed an amazing ability to make 20 foot one legged fadeaway with a hand in his face, yet a surprisingly lack of ability to get himself easy shots. How does that translate to the regular season? Kevin McHale was talking about it on NBA radio today and he said you can't make a career out of amazing, you have to be able to make things easy for yourself as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:26 pm 

shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

23% from 3

5 turnovers per game.

Shitty defense.

:lol: Tatum was so impressive he didn't even make 1st team all summer league. And he dominated Ball in that game when Ball was in the process of getting the first triple double in summer league history.

I look at summer league like a progression. Did the player get better as the league went on? Its inarguable that Ball got much better each and every night out there and by the end he played a flawless half vs Dennis Smith where he went 5/7 from the field, had double digit assists and not a single turnover. I think that performance is much more relevant than his 0-11 game, his very fist professional game ever.

Did Tatum get better every game? Nope. And you love pointing out Ball's shortcomings and how they will translate to the next level, but you haven't talked about the fact that Tatum showed an amazing ability to make 20 foot one legged fadeaway with a hand in his face, yet a surprisingly lack of ability to get himself easy shots. How does that translate to the regular season? Kevin McHale was talking about it on NBA radio today and he said you can't make a career out of amazing, you have to be able to make things easy for yourself as well.

Did you assess his shooting percentage. He played well against but it was also apparent that he could guard neither Smith or Ferrell. Smith had 14 first 18 with Ball guarding then the injury.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:49 pm 

long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

23% from 3

5 turnovers per game.

Shitty defense.

Did you assess his shooting percentage. He played well against but it was also apparent that he could guard neither Smith or Ferrell. Smith had 14 first 18 with Ball guarding then the injury.

Bring up the Smith/Ferrell point again ..can't get enough.When Ball wore the Kobe shoe that was the 1st time those shoes saw defense being played

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:27 pm 

shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

23% from 3

5 turnovers per game.

Shitty defense.

Lonzo Ball shot more airballs than anyone else in the history of the Summer League. If you want to talk about all time performances that would be it. Kay Felder dropped 25 on him. Kendall Marshall outplayed him. Dennis Smith if outplayed wasn't by much and once he started to really come at him Ball came up with cramps. Tatum looked much better than Ball during the one game they played. Some triple doubles are overrated. Ball shot 6 for 20 during one of them with 7 turnovers I believe. Think that was the Felder game.

When it is all said and done there are 3 takeaways from checking the dude out.

1. He is an elite passer

2. He can't shoot and to compare his summer league shooting to Curry's is laughable. No one ever has doubted Curry's shooting ability. Even going back to college

3. He can't guard anyone.

Last edited by long time guy on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:49 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Good stuff ltg, when I heard he won MVP of summer league I got worried he may not bust out.. That gives me hope he sucks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:24 pm 

312player wrote:
Good stuff ltg, when I heard he won MVP of summer league I got worried he may not bust out.. That gives me hope he sucks.

312 ESPN is hyping everything he does. Carlisimo spent the whole first game telling the world how great he was then once he stunk monkey balls he preached caution and played the "rookie" card.

There are serious holes in this kids game. They may have to deconstruct his jump shot. It's that bad. Slow release and his mechanics are awful. Bricks and airballs throughout the course of the Summer League. He was also getting his pocket picked. His handle isn't all that tight and he isn't quick.

I'm standing by bust.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:58 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Nice, me too.. I look forward to real competition soon and every guard in the NBA will be looking to embarrass him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:56 am 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

23% from 3

5 turnovers per game.

Shitty defense.

Ball played 4 Summer League games and 36 college games.....that just stupid

And about 30 of them were against tomato cans. That is how garbage college basketball happens to be. There won't be any Azuma Pacifics on the Schedule. Even during the Summer League.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:41 pm 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20091845/top-rookies-surprises-disappointments-2017-nba-summer-league

Article from a bunch of media members giving their impressions from Summer League. Not surprisingly, none of them have Tatum rated anywhere near Ball. Also, one guy even listed Tatum as a disappointment, commenting on his reliance solely on isolation and very difficult shots.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
shakes wrote:
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20091845/top-rookies-surprises-disappointments-2017-nba-summer-league

Article from a bunch of media members giving their impressions from Summer League. Not surprisingly, none of them have Tatum rated anywhere near Ball. Also, one guy even listed Tatum as a disappointment, commenting on his reliance solely on isolation and very difficult shots.

Don't bury the lead -- and they all said the Bulls were the biggest dumpster fire there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:57 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
shakes wrote:

Don't bury the lead -- and they all said the Bulls were the biggest dumpster fire there.

I was listening to NBA radio and one of the hosts was ripping Pax/Gar for how they acted during summer league. Its common for the teams to send the GM, coach, president, etc over to the broadcast booth during the games to have them sit down and talk about their team with the announcers while the game is going on. Bulls were the only team that refused to make anyone available for those segments. Host was saying how they Pax/Gar are the worst NBA people in the league in terms of giving interviews because they know how much they suck at their jobs and they don't want to get called out for all their shitty moves.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
shakes wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
shakes wrote:

I was listening to NBA radio and one of the hosts was ripping Pax/Gar for how they acted during summer league. Its common for the teams to send the GM, coach, president, etc over to the broadcast booth during the games to have them sit down and talk about their team with the announcers while the game is going on. Bulls were the only team that refused to make anyone available for those segments. Host was saying how they Pax/Gar are the worst NBA people in the league in terms of giving interviews because they know how much they suck at their jobs and they don't want to get called out for all their shitty moves.

they should have had long time guy come over and do the interview instead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
shakes wrote:

That host is wrong. I saw Fred give an interview during a game versus the Hawks. He talked for a while. Afterwards, went back to his seat with the wife and Paxson.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next