It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: NBA summer league thread
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Might as well have a thread. I've never followed summer league, but might pay attention this year with so many good rookies out there. Checking out the box scores so far it looks like Kenard has been consistently putting up points every game, shooting % isn't great but not awful for a rook. Bam Adebayo has had a couple really good games. Same with TJ Leaf. Tatum and Fultz both played really well in their only game so far. Isaac has had at least one really good game.

Vegas gets started Friday with Lonzo making his debut. I look forward to LTG declaring him a bust yet again after every game he plays.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:17 pm 

shakes wrote:
Might as well have a thread. I've never followed summer league, but might pay attention this year with so many good rookies out there. Checking out the box scores so far it looks like Kenard has been consistently putting up points every game, shooting % isn't great but not awful for a rook. Bam Adebayo has had a couple really good games. Same with TJ Leaf. Tatum and Fultz both played really well in their only game so far. Isaac has had at least one really good game.

Vegas gets started Friday with Lonzo making his debut. I look forward to LTG declaring him a bust yet again after every game he plays.

Summer League basketball is much better than any college game. There is some value in it Shakes but I always have to remind myself that Teague and McDermott were once all world in it.

Probably will make the trip to Vegas for it next year.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:18 pm 

long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

Summer League basketball is much better than any college game. There is some value in it Shakes but I always have to remind myself that Teague and McDermott were once all world in it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:40 pm 

forgot to mention Donvan Mitchell lit it up in his first game. I was real high on him and felt he should've gone higher. I think he'll be better than Monk.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:54 pm 

shakes wrote:
forgot to mention Donvan Mitchell lit it up in his first game. I was real high on him and felt he should've gone higher. I think he'll be better than Monk.

Monk is another guy who I think may struggle in the league. Undersized two without length. I know they say he ran the point in high school but I haven't seen much off the bounce game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:17 pm 

long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

Monk is another guy who I think may struggle in the league. Undersized two without length. I know they say he ran the point in high school but I haven't seen much off the bounce game.

It was hard to get a read on him. Not tall, but great athlete and long wing span. Rail thin. Could get hot and light it up better than anyone in the country, but too often he would have games where he did nothing for 30 minutes and then go off for 20+ points in a 8 minute span and end up with 30+ points. He was always off the ball with Fox running point so no clue if he can play PG.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:21 pm 

shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

It was hard to get a read on him. Not tall, but great athlete and long wing span. Rail thin. Could get hot and light it up better than anyone in the country, but too often he would have games where he did nothing for 30 minutes and then go off for 20+ points in a 8 minute span and end up with 30+ points. He was always off the ball with Fox running point so no clue if he can play PG.

Yeah he is one of the guys that I really want to see in the summer league. His stock dropped as the season progressed. There was a time he was considered top 5.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tony Snell...that is all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
This is the worst fucking ball I have ever seen :oops:Dominique Jones I could have gone my whole life without seeing that fatass play again

I'm out.

Last edited by Walt Williams Neck on Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:37 pm 

long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

Probably will make the trip to Vegas for it next year.

This explains so so much

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
shakes wrote:

I dunno if Ball will be a bust, but I'm confident he won't be a top 5 player from this draft.. He will hang around the league and get paid, he's nothing special in a very talented draft.. Fox is the best player in this draft and a few teams will regret passing on the best guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

Summer League basketball is much better than any college game.

I think it's clear to everyone I love the NBA and don't have much use for the college game. That said, this is one of the worst opinions I've ever read on here :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:42 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

I think it's clear to everyone I love the NBA and don't have much use for the college game. That said, this is one of the worst opinions I've ever read on here :lol:

Fringe NBA players are still better than 98% of the kids you see in college.

College basketball blows and I say this as a person that used to love college hoops. Talent in college stinks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:42 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:45 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

College basketball blows and I say this as a person that used to love college hoops. Talent in college stinks.

College basketball games do matter. The players are generally trying their hardest and playing within a set offense and defense that you can analyze and project to the next level. Summer league games literally have zero bearing on NBA futures. You aren't going to evaluate any players credibly by watching it. Summer league is just a huge waste of time for all involved. It's even more meaningless than the very meaningless preseason games.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:52 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

College basketball games do matter. The players are generally trying their hardest and playing within a set offense and defense that you can analyze and project to the next level. Summer league games literally have zero bearing on NBA futures. You aren't going to evaluate any players credibly by watching it. Summer league is just a huge waste of time for all involved. It's even more meaningless than the very meaningless preseason games.

Etwaun Moore who ltg thought was bad is too good to play in the summer league. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:55 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

You can learn a lot about guys in NBA summer league. For one it is geared as a showcase for high draft picks. It gives you a chance to gauge a guys talent level.

Try hard college kids lacking in talent isn't a treat.

If nothing else you get a chance to see guys playing against men. Also you don't think fringe NBA guys aren't playing hard? They actually are playing harder because they are trying to eat off basketball.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:55 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

Etwaun Moore who ltg thought was bad is too good to play in the summer league. :lol:

No he is too old.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:00 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

and just where does the NBA Get a majority of their talent from?

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:01 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

well stated

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
The NBA Summer League is great to watch in a "fun-bad" way.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:03 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

You can learn a lot about guys in NBA summer league. For one it is geared as a showcase for high draft picks. It gives you a chance to gauge a guys talent level.

Try hard college kids lacking in talent isn't a treat.

If nothing else you get a chance to see guys playing against men. Also you don't think fringe NBA guys aren't playing hard? They actually are playing harder because they are trying to eat off basketball.

I disagree with almost every part of this.

You can't learn anything from summer league. This is proven over and over again every year.

If it's geared towards high draft picks where is your boy Ben Simmons? If summer league is useful don't you think he could use the reps?

They aren't playing against men. They are playing against other college aged kids for the most part.

I agree that fringe players probably do play hard but it doesn't mean anything because in summer league the guys are out there just riffing. There's no sets being run, there's no rotations on defense for the most part, etc. it's basically just a showcase of undisciplined 1 on 1 ball within a team game. Thoroughly uninteresting to me once I realized none of it meant anything to actual NBA games.

It's a bad look for us nba fans to pretend summer league games matter. It's the equivalent of a college football fan telling you spring scrimmage games or whatever they're called are important.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:03 pm 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

well stated

:shock:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:05 pm 

KDdidit wrote:
The NBA Summer League is great to watch in a "fun-bad" way.

I can see that. I'm not gonna pretend I don't watch occasionally. I just know I'm not watching anything of any consequence.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:05 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:

and just where does the NBA Get a majority of their talent from?

And much of the talent coming out of college is ill prepared to play NBA ball. They are mostly being drafted based on potential.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:12 pm 

long time guy wrote:
No he is too old.
The Bulls have a guy on the roster this year that is 7 months younger. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:13 pm 

FF if we were at Bagels watchin' summer league games I WOULD HAVE JOINED YOU ON THE PATIO

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:14 pm 

FF if we were at Bagels watchin' summer league games I WOULD HAVE JOINED YOU ON THE PATIO

:lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:15 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
No he is too old.

Don't know why you're laughing. Guys don't typically play after being in the league for 2 years.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:16 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
No he is too old.

Don't know why you're laughing. Guys don't typically play after being in the league for 2 years.

I thought they were playing against other grown ass men?

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next