It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rose to the Bulls
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
USA Today Basketball guy Sam Amick says Derrick Rose will choose a team this weekend. He's deciding between the Lakers, Cavs, and.....the Bulls. Sounds like Reinsdorf wants to keep the UC sold out during the rebuild. Chicago can offer the most money.

Post subject: Re: Rose to the Bulls
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:58 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
USA Today Basketball guy Sam Amick says Derrick Rose will choose a team this weekend. He's deciding between the Lakers, Cavs, and.....the Bulls. Sounds like Reinsdorf wants to keep the UC sold out during the rebuild. Chicago can offer the most money.

Laker interest is probably the most curious. Why are they interested in acquiring veteran pgs that are capable of starting if Ball is that deal? Even if Rose backs him up he is still going to play a lot of minutes barring injury. Their team will suck regardless so why not give 36 minutes to Ball if he is that guy. They were looking at Rondo too. Why not acquire a guy that is simply coming in to be the backup?

Last edited by long time guy on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:59 pm 

I want rose back. He's better than Butler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

Lake interest is probably the most curious. Why are they interested in acquiring veteran pgs that are capable of starting if Ball is that deal? Even if Rose backs him up he is still going to play a lot of minutes barring injury. Their team will suck regardless so why not give 36 minutes to Ball if he is that guy. They were looking at Rondo too. Why not acquire a guy that is simply coming in to be the backup?

No. If the Bulls, Cavs and Lakers are interested, it's pretty clear they're telling Rose he's a backup and only gonna play 15-20 minutes a game. Maybe some nights 10 minutes. Because they all have point guards that are gonna play 35 minutes at least.

This was probably a shock to Derrick that this is how the NBA views him. He's the last one to realize he's not good anymore.

If the money is equal, I'll bet Rose chooses the Bulls. He'd rather be near his mom than have a chance to win a title with the Cavs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Beardown wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

Lake interest is probably the most curious. Why are they interested in acquiring veteran pgs that are capable of starting if Ball is that deal? Even if Rose backs him up he is still going to play a lot of minutes barring injury. Their team will suck regardless so why not give 36 minutes to Ball if he is that guy. They were looking at Rondo too. Why not acquire a guy that is simply coming in to be the backup?

No. If the Bulls, Cavs and Lakers are interested, it's pretty clear they're telling Rose he's a backup and only gonna play 15-20 minutes a game. Maybe some nights 10 minutes. Because they all have point guards that are gonna play 35 minutes at least.

This was probably a shock to Derrick that this is how the NBA views him. He's the last one to realize he's not good anymore.

If the money is equal, I'll bet Rose chooses the Bulls. He'd rather be near his mom than have a chance to win a title with the Cavs.

Man's gotta think about his future.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:40 pm 

He's signing with Cleveland for 1 year :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:54 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
long time guy wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

Laker interest is probably the most curious. Why are they interested in acquiring veteran pgs that are capable of starting if Ball is that deal? Even if Rose backs him up he is still going to play a lot of minutes barring injury. Their team will suck regardless so why not give 36 minutes to Ball if he is that guy. They were looking at Rondo too. Why not acquire a guy that is simply coming in to be the backup?

I'd guess that the laker deal would be a big ol 1yr "prove yourself" contract so they can maintain their metric assload of cap space for next season, when they go for Paul George and/or LeBron and friends. You figure Derrick likes LA and might be willing to take as much as he can get for one year to essentially do a 1yr Mulligan on free agency and try again next year, cuz he sure as shit didn't cover himself in glory in NY last year.

Also, a free piece of advice to Derrick: WORK ON YOUR JUMP SHOT. Seriously dude, we all have fond memories of you flying to/wards the basket and doing your herky-jerky up-n-under layups, but that was 2+ knees ago dude. Seriously, you're not any sort of consistent with your mid-range shot, and going to the Lakers means you're playing on a team with a legit pass-first PG, so if you're gonna be the shooting guard that you really are (tho how the fuck would he crack a lakers lineup starting lonzo ball + caldwell-pope?) you really might wanna consider being able to SHOOT the ball well. Look no further than Chicago's very own m-jeff for a guy who developed a cold jumper for/by the 2nd half of his career and you can see how you can make the most money possible when you're an undersized rim-attacker who might as well spin records as "DJ Volume Chucker" if you ever get into music during/after your career.

Just an idea, and good luck with being able to make it up the bleachers for your kid's HS graduation. I know the ~200mil you've earned [b4 taxes] between your old bulls contract + adidas money means that you've got an uphill battle to be able to feed your kids for the rest of your life, but with a little effort and a lot of luck you should be able to will yourself a solid jumper and then you can focus on the most important thing: making enough money to live a decent life while keeping your body intact so you're still 90%+ healthy enough to spend it all after you retire! Good luck!

(You know when the Heatles 4-1'd the bulls in the ECF ~7yrs ago or whatever I remember after being eliminated Derrick said "don't blame my teammates;. Blame me! I choked!!" and I was impressed enough to say "no matter what you gotta give d-rose credit for having heart." --- holy shit he made me look awful for saying that, even tho I think he DID technically have heart b4 his knee injuries showed him his [basketball] mortality and he ended up keeping it a bit too real in talking about what he wanted to have at the end of his career =)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
If he signs with Cleveland, that means he's going to be playing in the Finals. Derrick does things in the playoffs he never does (since the injuries) in the regular season. He's less fearful. He understands only the playoffs matter.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
IkeSouth wrote:
He's signing with Cleveland for 1 year :lol:

Is it official now? Lol damn.... A guy who at his peak was called "mini-Lebron" (re: his offensive game) has now joined actual LeBron in what I presume is "the Deron Williams role" --- aka "a washed up point guard [in name only] who can back up Kyrie"

Hey man, maybe he'll have a chance at a ring (if the warriors have a bus/plane crash or something) and at least 2/3 of a season to learn at the feet of his full-size-analogue in LeBron... You figure this has gotta be a 1yr *prove yourself" deal [cuz nobody was gonna fill up a boat for post-knees d-rose] and uhhh evidently he's willing to be a backup on a loaded team > going to a shit team [where he can actually play enough to be exposed as "just a guy" who prolly ends up being some kind of perennial-MLE/type journeyman akin to a bigger-name-brand Nate Robinson or something?]

Years ago during the eventual MVP season someone on IRC told me that "Derrick rose is a slightly better Raymond Felton" --- I laughed at that in/famous quote for a few years, then i started using qualifiers (like "IF he still had 2 knees...") for another year or 2, then I quieted down for another year or 2, then last year I had to apologize to the dude cuz he pretty much called it way back in 2009 tbh

You know, Derrick rose doesn't score ~15-20ppg cuz he's that good or anything, it's just because if he chucks up enough shots he's bound to have some success (akin to BABIP in baseball. The more balls you put in play the more likely ~30% of them are hits, so it's the same general idea, especially with everything leveling out at .300 BABIP or a ~30% FG PCT for d-rose =)