It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Great trade for both teams. Cleveland had to get rid of Irving and with the Lebron uncertainty for next year they were able to get a replacement star on an expiring contract. Also got a good player in Crowder. Now they can go for it this year with just as good a team as last year while still having the chance to instantly rebuild next year without Lebron and IT as they also got a nice lotto pick in the deal.

For Boston, they absolutely did not want to pay IT next year so they were able to replace him with a younger, bigger, better and locked up for more years star in Irving. Also, cleared out the logjam at SF so now Brown and Tatum can get more minutes. SInce they already have a possible top 5 pick coming from La next year they really don't need the Nets pick as well. Also, they are in win now and mode so don't want to have a roster loaded with young guys.

This is the rare win win trade.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:54 am 

shakes wrote:
Great trade for both teams. Cleveland had to get rid of Irving and with the Lebron uncertainty for next year they were able to get a replacement star on an expiring contract. Also got a good player in Crowder. Now they can go for it this year with just as good a team as last year while still having the chance to instantly rebuild next year without Lebron and IT as they also got a nice lotto pick in the deal.

For Boston, they absolutely did not want to pay IT next year so they were able to replace him with a younger, bigger, better and locked up for more years star in Irving. Also, cleared out the logjam at SF so now Brown and Tatum can get more minutes. SInce they already have a possible top 5 pick coming from La next year they really don't need the Nets pick as well. Also, they are in win now and mode so don't want to have a roster loaded with young guys.

I don't think Boston is done. I can envision Ainge trying to acquire another All Star caliber guy this season. I think Ainge will try and put a big three of his own together.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
City of Fools wrote:
I'm not the world's biggest Irving fan, but this will be a good short term move for the Celtics. I think it does get them even with the Cavs. Anyone expecting great things from Rose is bound to be disappointed. By the playoffs, he'll be toast if he plays a full regular season. Guy still can't shoot from distance either.

It wasn't a short term move. It was a long term move. They now finally have a franchise building block.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:18 pm 

shakes wrote:

Cleveland has the potential to lose horribly on this deal.

Barring a freak career ending injury to Kyrie or something there's no chance Boston ends up losing/regretting this

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I disagree with FF.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
FavreFan wrote:
shakes wrote:

Barring a freak career ending injury to Kyrie or something there's no chance Boston ends up losing/regretting this

If Kyrie does not sign a new contract in Boston, they could definitely regret this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:43 pm 

The Nets will be better this year. Which is why Boston gave up their pick. I could see that pick being 8-10 instead of top 3.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:49 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
shakes wrote:

If Kyrie does not sign a new contract in Boston, they could definitely regret this.

Boston was one of the teams on his list according to Griffin. Even if he doesn't resign they still can t lose because they weren't going to resign Thomas. The provisions of the new collective bargaining is beginning to have the desired effect. Teams are reluctant to sign guys to max contracts that aren't max contract players. The stakes are too high these days.

At the least they have Irving for Two years where Thomas was only be one. They acquired a high draft pick in the Philly deal so they could afford to let one go. They have a legit go to scorer that has proven it on the big stage. They are setup to make a prolonged run now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:50 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
The Nets will be better this year. Which is why Boston gave up their pick. I could see that pick being 8-10 instead of top 3.

No chance. They will be the doormat of the NBA again this year. Easy pick for worst 3 record in the league.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:52 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

No chance. They will be the doormat of the NBA again this year. Easy pick for worst 3 record in the league.

The Bulls will probably be worse. I could see them around 5-6th worst

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:55 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

The Bulls will probably be worse. I could see them around 5-6th worst

I'm looking at Bulls, Nets, and Magic as my bottom 3 (in any order). The Nets will probably be better this year, but they are still very bad.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:20 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I guess. I still doubt they would, and I'm also pretty sure they will resign Kyrie.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:24 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
I'm looking at Bulls, Nets, and Magic as my bottom 3 (in any order). The Nets will probably be better this year, but they are still very bad.

I'd put Phoenix and LA on that level, and possibly Sacramento too. I agree the Nets will be really bad.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:31 pm 

This move sets the stage for James to bring in his "banana boat" crew after this season. Wade and Paul's contracts will be up and it won't be difficult to bring Melo in either.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:49 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
shakes wrote:

How does Cleveland have the potential to lose horribly? They had a disgruntled star who they had to move, had no leverage and still managed to make a trade that brings in a different star who plays the same position of the guy they had to give away along with another nice piece that will help right away. They also gave themselves options for the future because they can make a decision on IT AND Lebron at the same time which means that if Lebron walks they can let IT walk and instantly begin rebuilding with Nets pick and a roster that will get them high lotto picks going forward. Cleveland did an amazing job with this trade. They had no leverage and came out of this trade arguably better in the short term and better in the long term as well.

Boston did a great job as well, even if they don't re-sign Irving. I'd rather have Irving for 2 years as opposed to IT for one or even worse, IT for one and then a max extension.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:50 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
conns7901 wrote:

Easy pick for bottom 3?

Bulls
Atlanta
Indiana

That's 3 teams right there that are arguably worse than Nets and that's just in the east.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Boston ain't set up for shit. They got a punk bitch who never did anything before LBJ came into his life. Isaiah Thomas has better accolades than Irving. Hope Irving enjoys his little team now.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Douchebag wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Imagine if Danny saved that money to sign Blake Griffin this summer. That big 3 would beat the Cavs.

No they wouldn't. Blake Griffin is trash, and the clippers overpaid for him and won't even make the playoffs this year.

This is not a good basketball thought.

Why? The Clippers gave a max contract to a guy who will undoubtedly begin to decline at his age, and they traded away their best player. This contract will be an albatross in 2 years.

Blake is the second best PF in the game behind Anthony Davis. The Clippers will make the playoffs this season.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:05 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Boston ain't set up for shit. They got a punk bitch who never did anything before LBJ came into his life. Isaiah Thomas has better accolades than Irving. Hope Irving enjoys his little team now.

4 time All Star Vs Undersized Journeyman guard now on his 4th team in 6 years. You must have missed all the winning and the accolades Thomas accrued while playing for juggernauts such as Sacramento and Phoenix. watching him backup the likes of Brandon Knight was a real treat for his legion of fans.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:07 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:

Just a terrible all around post.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:32 pm 

Both veganfan and ltg are constitutionally incapable of giving a rational opinion on Kyrie Irving

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: *
Kyrie > Isaiah

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:39 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Both veganfan and ltg are constitutionally incapable of giving a rational opinion on Kyrie Irving

Sort of like your opinion of Curry's dominance of him don't you think?

This was the best situation for him. Even better than San Antonio in fact. I'm on the mark with this one as I was regarding his value. Vegan doesn't think he is shit and rode Lebron's coattails. We are about to find out in about 7 weeks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:47 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

This was the best situation for him. Even better than San Antonio in fact. I'm on the mark with this one as I was regarding his value. Vegan doesn't think he is shit and rode Lebron's coattails. We are about to find out in about 7 weeks.

Curry did dominate him this past Finals. The overall numbers weren't close.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:49 pm 

You're also overstating the value Cleveland got back. one year of IT, Crowder, and a future first isn't great

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:55 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
You're also overstating the value Cleveland got back. one year of IT, Crowder, and a future first isn't great

Second Team All NBA, Starter and a top 5 choice isn't much? Ok.

It was more than any other player traded during the off season.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:57 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Curry did dominate him this past Finals. The overall numbers weren't close.

He must have dominated the ghost of Kyrie Irving.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
City of Fools wrote:
Anyone expecting great things from Rose is bound to be disappointed. By the playoffs, he'll be toast if he plays a full regular season. Guy still can't shoot from distance either.

Playing in the triangle for a year will fuck you up if you're a PG, especially Derrick Rose. It was an awful marriage.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:11 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You have no idea what that pick will be. And yes, a year rental of an injured IT isn't great - and stop trying to have it both ways. A few posts ago he was a journeyman backup to Brandon knight. Now he's second team All NBA. Figure out how you value IT and be consistent.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:31 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You have no idea what that pick will be. And yes, a year rental of an injured IT isn't great - and stop trying to have it both ways. A few posts ago he was a journeyman backup to Brandon knight. Now he's second team All NBA. Figure out how you value IT and be consistent.

As of today he is an All NBA player. I don't care for him but that's what he is.

No matter how you slice it there was a higher tag for Irving than there was for Butler. Called it months ago. That's even with the guy requesting a trade. In theory that was Supposed to decrease his value.

Irving will probably be in the Hall of Fame whereas Butler will probably never make another All Star team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next