It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:23 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
This league sucks!

This might be the 3rd consecutive matchup of the two same franchises....yeah,that's exciting.

EDIT: 4th consecutive!

Last edited by jimmypasta on Sun May 27, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:25 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
jimmypasta wrote:
This league sucks!

This might be the 3rd consecutive matchup of the two same franchises....yeah,that's exciting.

Fourth consecutive. Golden State won the first and third, LeBron won the second.

Imagine the awful things people would say about the NHL if they had the same Final four years in a row and teams dismantled their lineups because they had to draft fourth.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I dont' know man. everyone knew the finals participants back in Oct. for sure. But not sure if the league sucks. I think it's a better product than the NFL.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
jimmypasta wrote:
This league sucks!

4th straight matchup actually

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:28 pm 

I Liked the NFL when we knew the real super bowl was the 49ers and Cowboys in the NFC Championship. Or the Giants or Redskins for a few years. Back then, those were the 2 dominant teams but the WC team in say 92 was a superbowl championship team compared to the teams today.

It's similar w/ the NBA this era. I want to see the best 2 teams meet. If that means it's going to be the same two teams for 5 years than so be it.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:29 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
I dont' know man. everyone knew the finals participants back in Oct. for sure. But not sure if the league sucks.

"The entire season was a foregone conclusion, but I don't think that's an indictment of the product."

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:30 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
This league sucks!

Fourth consecutive. Golden State won the first and third, LeBron won the second.

Imagine the awful things people would say about the NHL if they had the same Final four years in a row and teams dismantled their lineups because they had to draft fourth.

Nobody cares what white people do.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:31 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
I dont' know man. everyone knew the finals participants back in Oct. for sure. But not sure if the league sucks.

"The entire season was a foregone conclusion, but I don't think that's an indictment of the product."

I thought you hated college basketball.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:32 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
This league sucks!

naw. nobody cares about the NHL. But that's fine. I like it the way it is. It doesn't need to be a super leauge for me to enjoy the NHL playoffs. the way it is is fun for me. It's somewhere between NBA/NFL and NCAA.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:35 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
As a kid,I knew it was a big deal when the Bears went against a powerhouse like the Cowboys and the Vikings but even then,the NFL had a number of very good teams that took turns having great seasons.

This NBA thing is bullshit.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
This playoffs has been far more entertaining than last year's from a storyline perspective, even if the competitiveness still left something to be desired in a number of games/series.

Last year's playoffs was the absolute worst. Everyone tried to justify it by swearing up and down that the finals was going to be what everyone wanted and it would be great goshdarnit, even though anyone with any sense should have easily foreseen Golden State cruising.

This year at least there were series I actually wanted to see. Hell even some of the series that were uncompetitive were still at least entertaining for storyline reasons; I thought it was hilarious seeing New Orleans sweep Portland and Cleveland treat the new and improved Raptors like the same old ones. I'd also say it was nowhere near as inevitable that Golden State and Cleveland would wind up in the finals as it was the last 2 years. It's a pity Golden State looks to be benefiting from yet another injury to a key player, as tomorrow's game would otherwise be the biggest since Cleveland-Golden State game 7 in 2016.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:36 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:
I thought you hated college basketball.

I hate college football. College basketball is okay but I hardly watch much basketball of any kind anymore.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
This is how the NBA has always been.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:38 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

Even when the NBA was an afterthought of sports (i.e., the Bill Russell Celtics), they never had the same two teams play four years in a row. This is a new level of top-heaviness.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:39 pm 

the top teams cavs and warriors this year are barely hanging on. it was a breeze for them the previous years but this year they've lost their domination. so this year it's a bit different. But both will make it due to their playoff experience vs other teams without that experience. Also they both lucked out. Irving injury and Chris paul injury.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
jimmypasta wrote:
As a kid,I knew it was a big deal when the Bears went against a powerhouse like the Cowboys and the Vikings but even then,the NFL had a number of very good teams that took turns having great seasons.

This NBA thing is bullshit.

Yeah, but how much NBA have you watched since Jordan left the Bulls?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:40 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
This playoffs has been far more entertaining than last year's from a storyline perspective, even if the competitiveness still left something to be desired in a number of games/series.

Last year's playoffs was the absolute worst. Everyone tried to justify it by swearing up and down that the finals was going to be what everyone wanted and it would be great goshdarnit, even though anyone with any sense should have easily foreseen Golden State cruising.

This year at least there were series I actually wanted to see. Hell even some of the series that were uncompetitive were still at least entertaining for storyline reasons; I thought it was hilarious seeing New Orleans sweep Portland and Cleveland treat the new and improved Raptors like the same old ones. I'd also say it was nowhere near as inevitable that Golden State and Cleveland would wind up in the finals as it was the last 2 years. It's a pity Golden State looks to be benefiting from yet another injury to a key player, as tomorrow's game would otherwise be the biggest since Cleveland-Golden State game 7 in 2016.

This must've been what it was like to be a non Bulls fan in '96.

leashyourkids wrote:

i was thinking about this the other day. Is it still the same NBA that manages games w/ the refs? Or is it better disguised these days where it doesn't seem so apparent as in the past.

SpiralStairs wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

No. Non bulls fans back then loved the bulls. they were not just America's team but the EArth's team.

Curious Hair wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Even when the NBA was an afterthought of sports (i.e., the Bill Russell Celtics), they never had the same two teams play four years in a row. This is a new level of top-heaviness.

Eh, they've come close. It wasn't a breeze to the Finals for either team. The teaming up of free agents has made it worse, but the NBA has at least always been top heavy, if not quite this top heavy.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:41 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

i was thinking about this the other day. Is it still the same NBA that manages games w/ the refs? Or is it better disguised these days where it doesn't seem so apparent as in the past.

It has nothing to do with the refs.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Curious Hair wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

The 80s were kind of the same way

Lakers
Rockets
Celtics
Sixers
Pistons

That was a list of all the teams that played in the finals during the decade

Bulls run was fun because they played 5 different Western Conf. teams

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:46 pm 

Any major injury to a superstar player and a great team is finished.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:46 pm 

Was there an overwhelming social/political responsibility to trumpet one's love of the NBA in the '80s? I guess that's a sticking point: we're all under a lot of pressure to demonstrate how much we like the NBA, but the product...kinda sucks.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:47 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

No. Non bulls fans back then loved the bulls. they were not just America's team but the EArth's team.

Tell that to the Pacers, Knicks and Jazz fans.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:49 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Was there an overwhelming social/political responsibility to trumpet one's love of the NBA in the '80s? I guess that's a sticking point: we're all under a lot of pressure to demonstrate how much we like the NBA, but the product...kinda sucks.

:lol:

What?

I think you're speaking of the NHL.

SpiralStairs wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Yeah that's a bad take HY.

Curious Hair wrote:

bullshit. no way. the NBA in the 80s was awesome because of the players and the great marketing the NBA did. Remember those great commericals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4-RNTsgHLw

Players made the NBA what it was in the 80s and 90s. not some social bullshit acceptance. Never heard of that before, not sure where you got that from?

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:51 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Yeah that's a bad take HY.

What I meant is even though we beat those teams and those fans those fans still loved the bulls and the quality of their play. It was respect. Maybe not the Jazz as that was in the finals. and Fuck the pacers. those guys were pretenders.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:54 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

:lol:

What?

I think you're speaking of the NHL.

I'm a hockey fan but I have to admit that for some unknown reason NHL fans have this absurd jealousy of the NBA. I'm not saying CH does, but it's there.