It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Better NBA Player - Kyrie or Butler?
Kyrie Irving 67%  67%  [ 8 ]
Jimmy Butler 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 12
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:10 pm 

This is an example of what market value happens to be. Hopefully "No Great Shakes" is paying attention.

Joe Cowley Thibs/Butler/Guillen shill

Page 3 for those so inclined.

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=104848

Last edited by long time guy on Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:
No one knew if Hayward would come

Actually, everyone did.

lol right? I forgot about that part of LTG's idiocy. Hayward to the Celtics was the worst kept secret in the NBA this offseason.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:12 pm 

Just like everyone knew that it wouldn't take an All Star guy to acquire Irving also

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=104848

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
No one knows if Paul George will be a Laker next season

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:16 pm 

shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Actually, everyone did.

lol right? I forgot about that part of LTG's idiocy. Hayward to the Celtics was the worst kept secret in the NBA this offseason.

No deal is done til it's done.

Even if that were the case then why would Ainge target Hayward over top 10 Jimmy Butler? Remember when the deal killer was Jae Crowder? Well he sure had no problem dealing him for Irving.

No matter what rationale you use the market was set by the trades involved. Everything else is simply speculation Cleveland decided to trade him for a guy that was a 2nd team all NBA guy and Paxson settled for a guy coming off an ACL injury. Paxson haters will point to this as a sign of his ineptitude but rationale. more objective types like me tend to see it as getting fair "market" value for your asset.

Last edited by long time guy on Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:16 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
No one knows if Paul George will be a Laker next season

He won't be.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:45 pm 

long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Actually, everyone did.

Even if that were the case then why would Ainge target Hayward over top 10 Jimmy Butler? Remember when the deal killer was Jae Crowder? Well he sure had no problem dealing him for Irving.

No matter what rationale you use the market was set by the trades involved. Everything else is simply speculation Cleveland decided to trade him for a guy that was a 2nd team all NBA guy and Paxson settled for a guy coming off an ACL injury. Paxson haters will point to this as a sign of his ineptitude but rationale. more objective types like me tend to see it as getting fair "market" value for your asset.

Why would Ainge target Hayward over Jimmy Butler? Hmm, maybe because he could get Hayward without having to give up any assets.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Well, and Brad Stevens.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:49 pm 

IMU wrote:
Well, and Brad Stevens.

and he's locked up for 4 years whereas Butler is going to enter FA soon.

But nope, according to LTG none of these factors matter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:00 pm 

shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:
Well, and Brad Stevens.

and he's locked up for 4 years whereas Butler is going to enter FA soon.

But nope, according to LTG none of these factors matter.

No Great Shakes you are grasping at this point. Some of your points have validity most don't. When you are a top 10 or top 5 guy like some on here have speculated, they back the truck up for you. Why? because guys like that don't hit the market. Paxson didn't have to trade Butler. He surmised that he wasn't That guy and dealt him before his value diminished. Cleveland had to deal Irving and if Broussard is to be believed they had a deal in place that nets George and Bledsoe but James helped kill it. That's value.

I'm hoping that that the trade for Butler works but I'm speaking as a Bulls fan more than anything. To many unknowns in that deal.

This deal makes the Celtics legit contenders while Butler simply improves The Wolves. Most of the prognosticators believe that Cleveland got the better end of the deal and it still improves Boston more. Think about that.

Also Hayward didn't come for free either. Boston had to move people to sign Hayward. Bradley and others had to be moved to clear cap space. He didn't just sign. Those were essentially trades.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:01 pm 

shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
shakes wrote:
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Actually, everyone did.

Why would Ainge target Hayward over Jimmy Butler? Hmm, maybe because he could get Hayward without having to give up any assets.

Bradley Olynyk Amir Johnson among others were moved to clear space for Hayward. You are wrong about not having to give up assets.

I know Bradley went in a trade but his "market" was depreciated because they were trying to clear space.

Also your hypothesis doesn't hold water in this instance because in the case of both Irving and Butler the objective was to get the most "bang for the buck". both teams were hoping to maximize value.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:18 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I think Butler may have a year or 2 left playing at a high level before his body breaks down. I think Kyrie is good for about 10 years before that happens to him. Last season Butler was better and he may be this season. Trades aren't usually made based on what you've done in the past. They are generally made based on what a player may do in the future. I would resign Kyrie long term. I wouldn't touch Thomas and would hesitate to give Butler more than a 3 year deal.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:27 pm 

Nas wrote:
I think Butler may have a year or 2 left playing at a high level before his body breaks down. I think Kyrie is good for about 10 years before that happens to him. Last season Butler was better and he may be this season. Trades aren't usually made based on what you've done in the past. They are generally made based on what a player may do in the future. I would resign Kyrie long term. I wouldn't touch Thomas and would hesitate to give Butler more than a 3 year deal.

Butler won't make the All Star team this year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

Well, he's going to be playing in a better conference with more competition (for All-Star spots) and going to a team that has just a bit more talent than the Bulls (#'s may go down), so yea there's a decent shot he won't

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

It's possible

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

Bagels wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:

Well, he's going to be playing in a better conference with more competition (for All-Star spots) and going to a team that has just a bit more talent than the Bulls (#'s may go down), so yea there's a decent shot he won't

He should be more efficient. If the Wolves are playing like a top 4 team in the West he'll get credit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:10 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Ousmane Dembele is a better soccer player than Messi and Ronaldo because Barcelona paid a higher transfer fee for him than either of those two ever commanded.

No player is ever better than any other player but you complain when Paxson passes on Gobert to select Snell? It's all relative remember. That is the sort of thinking that makes you think Gorgui Dieng can be the centerpiece in a trade for Irving.

In the end what I said he would command he commanded. Check the tape. While the marketeers speculated I got it right. It's a message board so it doesn't get you a ham sammich. It's still idiotic to continue arguing when there nothing else to discuss on this particular subject.
I said the only reason the Bulls would have no chance at landing Irving was because the only halfway desirable player on their enitre roster was Butler. I didn't make any kind of claim about Dieng or Gobert at all, never mind being centerpieces of such a trade. But I agree with you now, passing on Gobert to draft Snell or Green to draft Marquis Teague were A-plus rational moves by the perpetual victims in the front office!

Nope. You said that it wouldn't take an All Star Caliber. It obviously did or else he wouldn't have been moved. Also required a high draft pick. I know everything is a GarPax bash fest with you but you missed on this one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Ousmane Dembele is a better soccer player than Messi and Ronaldo because Barcelona paid a higher transfer fee for him than either of those two ever commanded.

No player is ever better than any other player but you complain when Paxson passes on Gobert to select Snell? It's all relative remember. That is the sort of thinking that makes you think Gorgui Dieng can be the centerpiece in a trade for Irving.

In the end what I said he would command he commanded. Check the tape. While the marketeers speculated I got it right. It's a message board so it doesn't get you a ham sammich. It's still idiotic to continue arguing when there nothing else to discuss on this particular subject.
I said the only reason the Bulls would have no chance at landing Irving was because the only halfway desirable player on their enitre roster was Butler. I didn't make any kind of claim about Dieng or Gobert at all, never mind being centerpieces of such a trade. But I agree with you now, passing on Gobert to draft Snell or Green to draft Marquis Teague were A-plus rational moves by the perpetual victims in the front office!

Nope. You said that it wouldn't take an All Star Caliber. It obviously did or else he wouldn't have been moved. Also required a high draft pick. I know everything is a GarPax bash fest with you but you missed on this one.
I said it wouldn't require one by default and gave you multiple examples of all-star level talent in fact being traded for non all-star level talent. You were on your soapbox about Cowley and how the Bulls could've never hoped to attain Irving anyway yet were also on your GarPax excuse-fest.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Kyrie Irving, John Paxson, Michael Reinsdorf, Gar Forman, and Fred Hoiberg are all bitches.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:25 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I said it wouldn't require one by default and gave you multiple examples of all-star level talent in fact being traded for non all-star level talent. You were on your soapbox about Cowley and how the Bulls could've never hoped to attain Irving anyway yet were also on your GarPax excuse-fest.

If he were traded for an All Star then obviously an All Star was required. That doesn't make sense and no other trade is relevant to his when it comes to that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:27 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Kyrie Irving, John Paxson, Michael Reinsdorf, Gar Forman, and Fred Hoiberg are all bitches.

Vegan he is nothing without LeBron and he will never be the best player on a team that gets past the first round. The famous words of a once great poster. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

If he were traded for an All Star then obviously an All Star was required. That doesn't make sense and no other trade is relevant to his when it comes to that.

No shit that's what the actual trade ended up being. Shakes has been pointing out relevant contextual factors however and you've been taking your victory lap and acting like it's some indication of some kind of objective value. Again, if you think the Bulls utter lack of assets to even begin to pursue Irving isn't somehow connected to the front office's malfeasance or that pointing out their record of utter failure, we're simply at an impasse.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:37 pm 

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Vegan he is nothing without LeBron and he will never be the best player on a team that gets past the first round. The famous words of a once great poster. :lol: :lol:

Never said that. Always said it would matter where he ended up. Got himself traded to the second best team in the conference so now he'll likely ride the coattails of that team to some playoff appearances just like he did with LBJ. He's still a bitch though and he'll never win a ring as the best player.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:42 pm 

Shakes's "relevant" facts have little to do with the Kyrie Irving trade. Hypothetical x and hypothetical y have nothing to do with this situation. I could easily make the case that his value was diminished because he called.for a trade and the entire league knew about it. I'm not. I'm accepting that his market value was based on what he was traded for. He was traded for a fairly steep price.

Butler wasn't. You choose to blame GarPax because that is sort of what you do. I don't think everything is the result of management ineptness. I also don't view things through message board populism. They'd shopped Butler for a year. There never was that great of a market for him. Your speculations and No Great Shakes's numerous hypotheticals can change that.

None of the things he referenced applied and if they did it would sway more towards Irving's value being depreciated. He was the one demanding a trade, not Butler.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:45 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Never said that. Always said it would matter where he ended up. Got himself traded to the second best team in the conference so now he'll likely ride the coattails of that team to some playoff appearances just like he did with LBJ. He's still a bitch though and he'll never win a ring as the best player.

Ride what coattails? Who will be better than him on that team?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:55 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

He is riding the coattails of whom? He is viewed as their best player. He also wasn't interested riding James's coattails either from all accounts. He may be a fool for feeling that way but coattail riding doesn't appear to be part of his deal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:05 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Their general makeup. Second best team in the east last year and they won't be worse than 4 this year despite being led by a guy who hasn't done shit as the lead in his career.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
It's very close, I'd lean Kyrie over Jimmy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:12 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Their general makeup. Second best team in the east last year and they won't be worse than 4 this year despite being led by a guy who hasn't done shit as the lead in his career.

He's gonna ride the coattails of Boston's general makeup? This doesn't make any sense.

Also, the entire team in Boston is different this year than last.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:25 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

He's gonna ride the coattails of Boston's general makeup? This doesn't make any sense.

Also, the entire team in Boston is different this year than last.

There's enough there to sustain the path they were on last year, which was a top 4 EC team. He's the best player on the team but he's walking into a good situation.

2013 CSFMB ROY