It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:59 am 

FavreFan wrote:
The Spurs have done it again with Dejounte Murray. Second year guy who was the 29th pick, and he's playing great on both sides of the ball and already looks like the leader of the team with Kawhi out. This is very promising.

Wrong yet again. Murray didn't really do shit this year. Can't shoot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:02 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Alvin Gentry should be fired for that between quarters interview alone(also because he's a terrible coach). They asked about the Kings scoring 40 in the first quarter he basically did the verbal equivalent of the shrug emoji and then said the Pelicans would be fine once the Kings started missing more :lol:

Funny how Vegan catches all of the shit regarding Gentry but you thought essentially the same thing (Yet conveniently you never acknowledge it)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:03 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Cousins goes full superstar tonight to lead the Pelicans back for the W.

I was as intrigued as the next guy with the twin tower idea down there but there's simply no good reason to keep him and AD on the same team. Diminishing returns.

No there's plenty of good reason to have them on the same team if that team has any competent wingers and is not coached by Alvin Gentry.

But they don't have any competent wingers and that would be tough to change without trading Cousins or AD. The Gentry problem is obviously an easy fix but the management there is clearly inept too.

I think you might be right. I wanted it to work and still like the idea of zigging when the rest of the league is zagging, I just can't see it working out with the current situation.

Here is the doubling down on Gentry the terrible coach comments.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I was as intrigued as the next guy with the twin tower idea down there but there's simply no good reason to keep him and AD on the same team. Diminishing returns.

No there's plenty of good reason to have them on the same team if that team has any competent wingers and is not coached by Alvin Gentry.

But they don't have any competent wingers and that would be tough to change without trading Cousins or AD. The Gentry problem is obviously an easy fix but the management there is clearly inept too.

I think you might be right. I wanted it to work and still like the idea of zigging when the rest of the league is zagging, I just can't see it working out with the current situation.

The Cousins injury saved Gentry. Putting Davis at the 5 and stretching the floor more makes them a better team without Cousins. Especially due to his lack of effort defensively.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:10 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

The Cousins injury saved Gentry. Putting Davis at the 5 and stretching the floor more makes them a better team without Cousins. Especially due to his lack of effort defensively.

Wrong they were rolling at the time Cousins was injured. Think they were on a 7 game streak at the time.

Injury shouldn't have mattered either. If he made a "coaching" adjustment which saved his job then obviously he can coach.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:14 pm 

Well I’m not wrong about Cousins. He’s never made teams he’s been on better. I used to be a big fan but at this point it is what it is.

And yeah Gentry has done a great job recently. But it also highlights how much he misused AD and Holiday in the past.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:20 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Well I’m not wrong about Cousins. He’s never made teams he’s been on better. I used to be a big fan but at this point it is what it is.

And yeah Gentry has done a great job recently. But it also highlights how much he misused AD and Holiday in the past.

The biggest problem was injury. His best players were often injured.

He also realized that Holiday was best suited for 2.

The guy can coach and always has been solid. He didn't just get better but that is the angle you use when you come out wrong about something.

Wasn't good before but he is good now (once it becomes irrefutable)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:28 pm 

Before this year he's done a poor job as head coach. That's not really debatable given his talent and outcome. Even taking injuries into account.

And yes, coaches can improve and get better just like players.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Before this year he's done a poor job as head coach. That's not really debatable given his talent and outcome. Even taking injuries into account.

Gentry is still a mediocre coach in the big picture. He's under 500 as NO's coach and as a HC overall. This is only his third time in the playoffs as HC and first time as NO's coach in three years. Great story thus far this year but it still doesn't negate any of what FF or I said about him over the past two years. LTG should find out what "preponderance" means, as in the preponderance of available data on Gentry as a HC still suggests he's nothing special. That being said, if he turns the franchise around, then more power to him. It still doesn't magically reshape him as a coach who has always been good. He hasn't.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:50 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Gentry is still a mediocre coach in the big picture. He's under 500 as NO's coach and as a HC overall. This is only his third time in the playoffs as HC and first time as NO's coach in three years. Great story thus far this year but it still doesn't negate any of what FF or I said about him over the past two years. LTG should find out what "preponderance" means, as in the preponderance of available data on Gentry as a HC still suggests he's nothing special. That being said, if he turns the franchise around, then more power to him. It still doesn't magically reshape him as a coach who has always been good. He hasn't.

No you sound even more foolish in doubling down on a such a stupid ill informed comment than you did previously.

You stated that they'd never do anything with him as a coach and you also had him fired midway or before during the season.

Bad records as i have told you mean nothing when you have a bad roster.

When he has had talent he has demonstrated that he knows what to do with it. You have been wrong about him at every turn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:56 pm 

Last year AD played 75 games and NO went 34-48. That’s an unacceptable result from the head coach.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:59 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

What talent other than a few years in Phoenix has he had? This is simply ass covering for making wrong headed statements.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:01 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Last year AD played 75 games and NO went 34-48. That’s an unacceptable result from the head coach.

No Rondo.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:01 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

What talent other than a few years in Phoenix has he had? This is simply ass covering for making wrong headed statements.

He had one of the best players in the world and of this generation for 75 games last year and he lost over half of those. Unacceptable.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:02 pm 

RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

No Rondo.

My guy is awesome and showing he was never washed up, just misused. That doesn’t excuse how Gentry has misused Holiday and AD in the past.

I’m glad the Cousins injury forced him to figure it out though. Better late than never. Next round will be even better than the first.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:05 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

No Rondo.

My guy is awesome and showing he was never washed up, just misused. That doesn’t excuse how Gentry has misused Holiday and AD in the past.

I’m glad the Cousins injury forced him to figure it out though. Better late than never. Next round will be even better than the first.

You really think they can compete with the Warriors? I want to believe that...but just not sure I can see it.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:05 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

No Rondo.

He had it figured out anyway and that supporting cast last season was terrible. Cousins came with 25 games left and Holiday missed a ton of games.

You also never claimed that Holiday was misused either. Since when were you ever on the Holiday bandwagon?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:48 pm 

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

No you sound even more foolish in doubling down on a such a stupid ill informed comment than you did previously.

You stated that they'd never do anything with him as a coach and you also had him fired midway or before during the season.

When he has had talent he has demonstrated that he knows what to do with it. You have been wrong about him at every turn.

Yup. I had him fired this year during the AS break. Obviously wrong but the prediction was in line with previous jobs he's had as HC. What did he demonstrate last year by going 34-48 with AD for 75 games and Cousins for half the season? Let's not overstate Gentry's abilities here - you're acting like he invented the game.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:57 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Yup. I had him fired this year during the AS break. Obviously wrong but the prediction was in line with previous jobs he's had as HC. What did he demonstrate last year by going 34-48 with AD for 75 games and Cousins for half the season? Let's not overstate Gentry's abilities here - you're acting like he invented the game.

He didn't have Cousins for half the season either. Holiday missed a lot of games too. I'm sure you didn't even know what the starting lineup was on most nights either.

As usual lets look at the record (as you did with Irving) and say oh yeah bad coach.

If he was a bad coach last year then he should be bad this year too.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:58 pm 

long time guy wrote:

That's not always true.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:15 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

That's not always true.

Of course it isn't. Coaches are human veings, not robots. It's obvious that there performance can fluctuate and improve if you put even a little thought into it

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:43 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

That's not always true.

Of course it isn't. Coaches are human veings, not robots. It's obvious that there performance can fluctuate and improve if you put even a little thought into it

Alvin Gentry is the same coach as last season or any other season. He has better talent and hence a better record.

He isn't doing anything different really. He has better players.

You also had him as a terrible coach this year too.

As usual your beat changed once his results changed and in order to seem correct you are simply stating that he was a bad coach that got better.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:52 pm 

Except he is doing things differently

https://deadspin.com/the-pelicans-are-f ... 1825441910

Interesting you say he has better players now tho with Cousins out.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:05 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Except he is doing things differently

https://deadspin.com/the-pelicans-are-f ... 1825441910

Interesting you say he has better players now tho with Cousins out.

No Rondo and Holiday Missed a ton of games last season. They really didn't have Cousins for all that long last season either.

With Cousins they may have been a title contender. They were starting to put it together pre injury.

He made adjustments based on Cousins's injury.

You are trying to compensate based on a flawed assessment.

The dude has demonstrated that he can coach and you were wrong and now the spinning is occurring.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:09 pm 

:lol:

No. We clearly demonstrated his lack of achievement prior to these last three months. I’m glad he’s doing well now though and I’m pulling for them over GS

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
I don't think any team in the league would have wanted to face a Davis/Cousins combo in a 7 game series.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:13 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

No. We clearly demonstrated his lack of achievement prior to these last three months. I’m glad he’s doing well now though and I’m pulling for them over GS

His lack of achievement was due to taking on shitty jobs. He isn't a top 5 coach but he isn't "terrible" either. Never was. He is a solid coach.

His record was bad last year based on his lack of talent absent Davis and much later Cousins and nothing else.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:14 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
I don't think any team in the league would have wanted to face a Davis/Cousins combo in a 7 game series.

I agree. Throw in Rondo Holiday and possibly Mirotic and they would have been dangerous.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:15 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

His lack of achievement was due to taking on shitty jobs. He isn't a top 5 coach but he isn't "terrible" either. Never was. He is a solid coach.

His record was bad last year based on his lack of talent absent Davis and much later Cousins and nothing else.

The best players in the world can drag shitty supporting casts to the playoffs. They often do when coaches don’t negatively impact them.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:21 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

The best players in the world can drag shitty supporting casts to the playoffs. They often do when coaches don’t negatively impact them.

So basically he was a terrible coach because you mistakenly thought he was at the time. Instead of admitting it you are attempting to spin it as if he got better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 548 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next