It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lonzo: Year 1
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Quote:
Now we are down to touting assist to turnovers ratio

yea what a ridiculous thing to grade a PG on

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Bagels wrote:
Quote:

:lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:13 pm 

Bagels wrote:
Quote:

I would never say that a guy was playing great solely based on that. My point is that the narrative changes to fit the situation. +/- wasn't serious then it was.

When it is all said and done he is playing about how I expected him to play. The bar has been lowered for the kid throughout the NBA in a span of 2 weeks. He went from a can't miss transcendant player to a guy that will merely be a good piece on a winning team at best. That is what I am inferring from this. I'm hard pressed to find anyone associated with the NBA that considers him a budding All Star. Power rankings for rookies had him 7th last week and I expect it to be lower this week. He has had one game that you con consider outstanding and one that was so so. The other 8 have been duds and the analysis consisted of people attempting to tell you how great he is playing. Even his 0 point effort was spun by the people on here. Its difficult to have "credibility" on the issue when you're constantly exercising confirmation bias tactics in order to validate arguments.

When it comes down to it he doesn't pass the sniff test. He may in the future but he definitely doesn't now. He blows and I don't expect him to play much better in the future. He will be better but that is only because he really can't play any worse.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:26 pm 

Talk about rather putrid numbers.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... llo01.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:27 am 

Still trying to fathom how a guy with 88 points on 117 attempts is still considered to be playing "great.

Avg 1 free throw attempt per game yet he is constantly "breaking people down with the dribble"

Actually this guy has better numbers in comparison and I haven't read one positive comment about him since he has been in the league.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... tje02.html

A most apropo comparison indeed!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:29 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
long time guy wrote:
Still trying to fathom how a guy with 88 points on 117 attempts is still considered to be playing "great.

Avg 1 free throw attempt per game yet he is constantly "breaking people down with the dribble"

Actually this guy has better numbers in comparison and I haven't read one positive comment about him since he has been in the league.

It is funny to see Ball is not far superior to Grant.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:39 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
long time guy wrote:

Strong comp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
liangelo ball arrested for retail theft in Chiner, locked up abroad?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
All the family money went into a failure of a shoe company. Tough to see a family fall on such hard times.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Hussra wrote:
liangelo ball arrested for retail theft in Chiner, locked up abroad?

Probably chop off his hand.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:09 pm 

Caning

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Lonzo played well last night despite the usual bad shooting. Actually starting to get a little encouraged with the FG% as last night he continued to get to the rim at will, but didn't finish on at least 3 wide open bunnies. That's all confidence or lack of and will definitely improve once he starts to get more comfortable. He was 4/15...if he starts to make his easy layups his % will go up dramatically.

Other than the bad shooting, he played about as good of defense as one can play against Kyrie Irving. Definitely got burned for a couple layups, but also blocked his shot at least once and had one nice play where he followed up a Kyrie layup by grabbing the ball and going coast to coast for his own bucket. Also Kyrie shot 7/21 from the field.

Lonzo stuffed the stat sheet otherwise....5 boards, 6 assists, 2 TOs, 1 steal and 4 blocks.

I think in his last 5 games he has 29 assists and 4 turnovers. Pretty amazing for a rookie PG.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:23 pm 

Stephen A is saying Lonzo is starting to look like a bust and shakes thinks he is the greatest rookie PG ever. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:28 pm 

IMU wrote:
Stephen A is saying Lonzo is starting to look like a bust and shakes thinks he is the greatest rookie PG ever. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.

As it stands now his shooting percentage is the worst of any rookie since 1951.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Lonzo's career in basketball appears to be eerily similar to Roy Halladay's career as a pilot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:37 pm 

i'm trying to stay positive but shakes saying he's "stuffing the stat sheet" is a bit of a stretch....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:07 pm 

Bagels wrote:
i'm trying to stay positive but shakes saying he's "stuffing the stat sheet" is a bit of a stretch....

Sort of hard to do when you're not avg anywhere near double figures in any one category. This is getting bad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:17 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

As it stands now his shooting percentage is the worst of any rookie since 1951.

Yikes

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Bagels wrote:

I hear ya, but aside from shooting, what area of the game is he not doing well?

All I hear is shooting %, shooting %, shooting form etc, but no one wants to talk about the great things he is doing as a 20 year old rookie starting PG in the areas of assist, turnovers, pace, rebounding and even defense.

I like what I heard from Antonio Daniels today on NBA radio. he said, like I have from day one, its going to take a long time for him to get adjusted but he will get adjusted. The shot didn't worry AD at all, said it will come around eventually once he gets more comfortable around the league. People are all over him, but from day 1 I've been saying it will take 2-3 years for him to become a great player. I don't think that's an unreasonable position to have.

Big picture: he's the most hyped rook since Lebron and is actually under more pressure as rook than Lebron ever faced. He's played 11 games in his career, just turned 20 a week ago. He has shown elite vision, great rebounding, solid defense and the ability to take care of the ball. He's also been terrible shooting the ball. Nothing in that picture says here's a guy who can't be a great player.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:27 pm 

Lonzo Ball:
29.5% FG, 23.1% 3P, 53.8% FT, 6.8 Rebounds, 7.3 Assists, 1.2 Steals, 1.0 Blocks, 2.5 Turnovers, 9.5 Points

Stats from a recent rookie PG considered to have a bust of a freshman season:
37.7% FG, 28.8% 3P, 61.0% FT, 4.5 Rebounds, 5.1 Assists, 2.1 Steals, 1.0 Blocks, 2.4 Turnovers, 7.9 Points

Who cares about who had what hype? The fact is that Lonzo Ball hasn't been impressing, even when you consider his rookie status. He has been okay at best. Maybe he will turn out pretty good. But right now he isn't exactly lighting it up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:35 pm 

IMU wrote:
Lonzo Ball:
29.5% FG, 23.1% 3P, 53.8% FT, 6.8 Rebounds, 7.3 Assists, 1.2 Steals, 1.0 Blocks, 2.5 Turnovers, 9.5 Points

37.7% FG, 28.8% 3P, 61.0% FT, 4.5 Rebounds, 5.1 Assists, 2.1 Steals, 1.0 Blocks, 2.4 Turnovers, 7.9 Points

Who cares about who had what hype? The fact is that Lonzo Ball hasn't been impressing, even when you consider his rookie status. He has been okay at best. Maybe he will turn out pretty good. But right now he isn't exactly lighting it up.

If his career were to end with his numbers remaining the way they are currently he'd be considered a bust. His numbers are worse than Jerian Grant currently.

Even if you excuse the hype the fact that he is a #2 pick makes him a bust. Factor in guys that followed him in the draft and it becomes obvious that this was a terrible pick.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:40 pm 

long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
Lonzo Ball:

If his career were to end with his numbers remaining the way they are currently he'd be considered a bust. His numbers are worse than Jerian Grant currently.

Even if you excuse the hype the fact that he is a #2 pick makes him a bust. Factor in guys that followed him in the draft and it becomes obvious that this was a terrible pick.

You can't waltz in here trying to piggy back on stats hinting that Lonzo Ball isn't playing well while trying to ignore stats that show Oklahoma City plays poorly when Carmelo is on the court. GTFO of here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:55 pm 

IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
Lonzo Ball:

You can't waltz in here trying to piggy back on stats hinting that Lonzo Ball isn't playing well while trying to ignore stats that show Oklahoma City plays poorly when Carmelo is on the court. GTFO of here.

Apparently you didn't notice the phrase "exclusively on stats" Stats should be supplemental. All you ever do is quote stats.

I've already attempted to analyze Ball's game. I didn't think he was shit but that was based on what I'd seen of him as a player. Stats can't be the be all end all.

Let me give you an example. The stats suggested that Isaiah Thomas and Kyrie Irving were essentially the same player.
They weren't and I never thought they were. Now the world can see for themselves that they never were the same player.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Trade him to San Antonio, they'll fix his shot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:46 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Let me give you an example. The stats suggested that Isaiah Thomas and Kyrie Irving were essentially the same player.
They weren't and I never thought they were. Now the world can see for themselves that they never were the same player.

wut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:53 pm 

IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

wut

Before this season started people used statistical analysis which suggested that Irving and Thomas were the same player. Some even used it to suggest that Thomas was better. He isn't.

Carmelo Anthony hasn't been a problem for OKC. You haven't seen them play and you're looking for anything that verifies your bias.

A 31% Usage rate is also high considering the fact that George and Anthony are on the team too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:35 pm 

long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

wut

Before this season started people used statistical analysis which suggested that Irving and Thomas were the same player. Some even used it to suggest that Thomas was better. He isn't.

Carmelo Anthony hasn't been a problem for OKC. You haven't seen them play and you're looking for anything that verifies your bias.

A 31% Usage rate is also high considering the fact that George and Anthony are on the team too.

Yes he has.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:47 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

wut

Yes he has.

How?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:49 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

wut

Yes he has.

How?

He hasn't played well and that's hurting them. It's one of the reasons they are 4-6.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:54 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

wut

Yes he has.

How?

He hasn't played well and that's hurting them. It's one of the reasons they are 4-6.

He has played well overall.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 42  Next