It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Convenient excuse which seeks to compensate for the inadequacies of the great LeBron. That's like saying Jordan's defense was porous because he had to cover for Sam Vincent Brad Sellers and Dave Corzine. Jordan was a leading scorer and still one of the better defenders even though he had increased responsibilities.

He didn't guard anyone after 1990. Pippen took care of that. Later on it was Ron Harper. Jordan just shot 35 times a game and rested while "guarding" Stacey Augmon. If Jordan ever tried that senior citizen lame ass turnaround jumper on LBJ then James would smack a bitch.
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Convenient excuse which seeks to compensate for the inadequacies of the great LeBron. That's like saying Jordan's defense was porous because he had to cover for Sam Vincent Brad Sellers and Dave Corzine. Jordan was a leading scorer and still one of the better defenders even though he had increased responsibilities.

He didn't guard anyone after 1990. Pippen took care of that. Later on it was Ron Harper. Jordan just shot 35 times a game and rested while "guarding" Stacey Augmon. If Jordan ever tried that senior citizen lame ass turnaround jumper on LBJ then James would smack a bitch.

That's false. He guarded Miller, Drexler, Starks, and Majerle during each of the series in which the Bulls competed against their team. All of that occurred after 91

Yes, for like 5 minutes each game. The entire narrative during the Bulls’ last three titles was that Michael Jordan couldn’t take anymore minutes. He was aging and tired and had given everything he had for 92 blah blah games. Bob Costas scripted half his pre-game soliloquies on it... “Does the greatest ever have enough left in the tank to finish yet another heroic series?”...

And then it was the Bulls were having him guard Hersey Hawkins or Byron Russell to save his legs for offense because he was such a warrior.

Flip the script, and Lebron is just a crybaby who drives his teammates away.

You said 90 and the series against Drexler occurred in 92. He guarded Drexler the entire series.

Anymore minutes? I will pull his minutes with the Wizards. According to my main man Sam Smith Jordan was logging heavy minutes even while he was pushing 40. let's see if he is correct.

I didn’t. Veganfan did. But I see what you’re saying now. Jordan played hella D up until the first retirement. After that, he was a very good defensive player who had lost a lot of the athleticism necessary to be elite. Defense is a young man’s game.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:42 pm 

Quote:
I disagree completely with that. Part of the reason he will remain a legend is because he never asked for help or sold out his teammates, and every star player outside of San Antonio since has to some degree.

You’re familiar with Sam Smith’s famous book, right?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:44 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Quote:
I disagree completely with that. Part of the reason he will remain a legend is because he never asked for help or sold out his teammates, and every star player outside of San Antonio since has to some degree.

If you're talking Jordan rules yeah. only remember the excerpts. Never read it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:51 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

That's false. He guarded Miller, Drexler, Starks, and Majerle during each of the series in which the Bulls competed against their team. All of that occurred after 91

Yes, for like 5 minutes each game. The entire narrative during the Bulls’ last three titles was that Michael Jordan couldn’t take anymore minutes. He was aging and tired and had given everything he had for 92 blah blah games. Bob Costas scripted half his pre-game soliloquies on it... “Does the greatest ever have enough left in the tank to finish yet another heroic series?”...

And then it was the Bulls were having him guard Hersey Hawkins or Byron Russell to save his legs for offense because he was such a warrior.

Flip the script, and Lebron is just a crybaby who drives his teammates away.

You said 90 and the series against Drexler occurred in 92. He guarded Drexler the entire series.

Anymore minutes? I will pull his minutes with the Wizards. According to my main man Sam Smith Jordan was logging heavy minutes even while he was pushing 40. let's see if he is correct.

I didn’t. Veganfan did. But I see what you’re saying now. Jordan played hella D up until the first retirement. After that, he was a very good defensive player who had lost a lot of the athleticism necessary to be elite. Defense is a young man’s game.

Jordan's defense was definitely in decline during that 2nd 3 peat. He wasn't locking guys up at that point but he also wasn't a liability. LeBron James is just as much of a liability on defense as any of the other Cavs at this point. Only person with the stones to call him on it is Van Gundy.

As a defender he was always overrated to me. Constantly ducking covers even during his so called prime and I never recall him locking guys up either.

Even when he was supposed to be elite defensively they'd find the readily available "He has so much in the way of offensive responsibilities" or he'd easily be the league's best defender.

It was always garbage.

Last edited by long time guy on Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:
Quote:

:lol:

Yes. Please tell me you're not equating that to telling a reporter, in front of cameras, that you need better teammates after a regular season loss.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:54 pm 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Quote:

Yes. My bro got it for Christmas when we were young (weird, I know).

It was basically a summary of how Jordan alienated teammates and caused turmoil within the team. He even told teammates not to pass to Cartwright late in the game and then took every opportunity he could to throw Cartwright shitty passes only (that he couldn’t catch) so that the Bulls would consider trading him.

Later, Jordan and his businessmen got to the media and had them all disavow the book and its contents to discredit it.

The original Harvey Weinstein!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:55 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Quote:

Yes. Please tell me you're not equating that to telling a reporter, in front of cameras, that you need better teammates after a regular season loss.

How about "I did my part". Isn't that one of James's patented under the bus lines also?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:56 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Quote:

Read my last post. What Jordan did was 20 times scummier. Look, he’s my hero too, but you can’t be naive enough to think that the guy wasn’t an asshole or a self-server. It’s part of what made him - and other athletes - great at what they do.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:56 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Quote:

How about "I did my part". Isn't that one of James's patented under the bus lines also?

Probably. He has too many to keep track of.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:00 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Quote:

It was basically a summary of how Jordan alienated teammates and caused turmoil within the team. He even told teammates not to pass to Cartwright late in the game and then took every opportunity he could to throw Cartwright shitty passes only (that he couldn’t catch) so that the Bulls would consider trading him.

Later, Jordan and his businessmen got to the media and had them all disavow the book and its contents to discredit it.

I know of the stuff regarding Cartwright from that book. Cartwright also threatened to break Jordan's legs too. Also from the book.

Jordan was hard as help on guys like Perdue and Stacey King too. He never missed a chance to take a swipe at them but it was behind the scenes. He never aired guys out in public. LeBron shows teammates up during games all the time. He also blows off coaches too. Treated Blatt like shit. Did the same thing with Spoelstra too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:01 pm 

I feel like this is evolving into a Trump-Clinton esque examination of the media and how people were portrayed by them.

I’ll agree that Jordan was a better leader. But he did scummy shit too. He just happened to be a media darling the likes of which sports had never seen. He said self-serving shit all the time. His interviews were cringe-worthy if everyone hadn’t been slobbering all over him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:03 pm 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Quote:

I know of the stuff regarding Cartwright from that book. Cartwright also threatened to break Jordan's legs too. Also from the book.

Jordan was hard as help on guys like Perdue and Stacey King too. He never missed a chance to take a swipe at them but it was behind the scenes. He never aired guys out in public. LeBron shows teammates up during games all the time. He also blows off coaches too. Treated Blatt like shit. Did the same thing with Spoelstra too.

Come on on, LTG. If Jordan had been coached by Blatt or Spoelstra, he wouldn’t have given them permission to do interviews. He probably would have punched one of them in practice in addition to his teammates.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:04 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
I feel like this is evolving into a Trump-Clinton esque examination of the media and how people were portrayed by them.

I’ll agree that Jordan was a better leader. But he did scummy shit too. He just happened to be a media darling the likes of which sports had never seen. He said self-serving shit all the time. His interviews were cringe-worthy if everyone hadn’t been slobbering all over him.

He was a media darling in large part because he was naturally media savvy in a way LeBron isn't. Jordan was a prick, but when he was playing even he knew better than to say after a loss to reporters he needs better teammates. LeBron's need to never be seen as at fault for anything causes him to say truly dumb shit like that.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:08 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

He was a media darling in large part because he was naturally media savvy in a way LeBron isn't. Jordan was a prick, but when he was playing even he knew better than to say after a loss to reporters he needs better teammates. LeBron's need to never be seen as at fault for anything causes him to say truly dumb shit like that.

I don’t necessarily disagree with that, but that’s just a product of Jordan’s savviness. If selling out his teammates would have sold one more pair of shoes, he’d have called Scott Burrell a homo and waved the $150 in front of his face.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:13 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

Jordan was definitely over loved by the media. If you're talking hoops though I can provide two playoffs series in which James folded. Boston and Dallas. James laid down in both. Never would have occurred with Jordan.

Last edited by long time guy on Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:15 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I don’t necessarily disagree with that, but that’s just a product of Jordan’s savviness. If selling out his teammates would have sold one more pair of shoes, he’d have called Scott Burrell a homo and waved the $150 in front of his face.

If...

I'm talking bout what is.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:43 pm 

I cannot believe someone said that Jordan quit playing defense after 1990. If you want to argue that his defense was in decline in the second 3-peat then that is acceptable, but there is no way in hell he stopped playing defense after 1990. That is crazy talk.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:14 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
LeBron got what he wanted. Hope he's happy with that .400 winning %

Don't change the narrative now. Midget YouTube bitch wanted out. He probably wanted out because he was mad at LBJ for believing the world is round.

It's not changing the narrative. LeBron bitched frequently about his teammates last season. Now he has new ones.

Anyway, I made a thread to follow this. I'm sure you've seen it :D

Look at the company you've chosen. A guy who believes the world is flat and a guy above who thinks winning a championship merits a C grade. There's still time for you to rejoin the civilized world. And that world can be found in the Kyrie douchebag thread.

Think about it this way Vegan. You think that LeBron James is the sole reason that any of his teams have won championships. Shouldn't the removal of Irving be an illustration of this particular viewpoint? It doesn't matter who LeBron's teammates happen to be. As long as He is in the mix you can punch his ticket to the finals. This season will be no different. I'm certain of that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:43 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
That said, you still have to acknowledge that there are other factors beyond a player's control. It's not always apples-to-apples. If you're going to knock Lebron for manufacturing a team (I think it was a bitch move too but it still doesn't impact his on-court performance), you must also acknowledge that the team he lost to last year was also a manufactured team that was almost certainly better than any team Jordan ever faced. I mean, that has to matter, right?
I'm really not going to hold the loss last year against him as a negative outside of the fact that he was outplayed in the series by a guy on the other team. It's his whole career though. He got the best possible circumstances to win and yet he failed 2/4 in Miami, and 1/2 in Cleveland if we completely ignore the Durant Warriors. Being able to choose your situation matters in regards to the ideas that he was at a talent disadvantage in those series. For some he may have been and for others he wasn't.

Now, maybe Jordan got lucky, but what you have to realize is that his teams weren't talent rich until we look back in hindsight. Rodman was a washed up player who was traded for a backup center. Horace Grant had a moderate career outside of Chicago. Pippen was great, and a really good complement to Jordan, but it's not like Lebron hasn't played with top NBA players for his whole championship window.

The fact is that the only real excuses we have to make for Jordan is that he wasn't quite back in his partial return season after he had spent time playing baseball for almost 2 years. I do think Lebron had a legitimate chance to surpass Jordan. However, the resume just doesn't back it up without resorting to (BUT REBOUNDS!). He also has yet to have the numbers decline that lowers his career averages some like it did with Kobe. That's yet another thing that overrates current players over retired players as we look at Jordan's Wizards numbers when Lebron has yet to play his final two seasons as part owner of the Milwaukee Bucks.

It's about time to close the book on Lebron as the GOAT talk. He's clearly among the greats of all time but just like them there just isn't the case for it. Our best chance now for someone to surpass Jordan is Lonzo Ball.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
That said, you still have to acknowledge that there are other factors beyond a player's control. It's not always apples-to-apples. If you're going to knock Lebron for manufacturing a team (I think it was a bitch move too but it still doesn't impact his on-court performance), you must also acknowledge that the team he lost to last year was also a manufactured team that was almost certainly better than any team Jordan ever faced. I mean, that has to matter, right?
I'm really not going to hold the loss last year against him as a negative outside of the fact that he was outplayed in the series by a guy on the other team. It's his whole career though. He got the best possible circumstances to win and yet he failed 2/4 in Miami, and 1/2 in Cleveland if we completely ignore the Durant Warriors. Being able to choose your situation matters in regards to the ideas that he was at a talent disadvantage in those series. For some he may have been and for others he wasn't.

Now, maybe Jordan got lucky, but what you have to realize is that his teams weren't talent rich until we look back in hindsight. Rodman was a washed up player who was traded for a backup center. Horace Grant had a moderate career outside of Chicago. Pippen was great, and a really good complement to Jordan, but it's not like Lebron hasn't played with top NBA players for his whole championship window.

The fact is that the only real excuses we have to make for Jordan is that he wasn't quite back in his partial return season after he had spent time playing baseball for almost 2 years. I do think Lebron had a legitimate chance to surpass Jordan. However, the resume just doesn't back it up without resorting to (BUT REBOUNDS!). He also has yet to have the numbers decline that lowers his career averages some like it did with Kobe. That's yet another thing that overrates current players over retired players as we look at Jordan's Wizards numbers when Lebron has yet to play his final two seasons as part owner of the Milwaukee Bucks.

It's about time to close the book on Lebron as the GOAT talk. He's clearly among the greats of all time but just like them there just isn't the case for it. Our best chance now for someone to surpass Jordan is Lonzo Ball.

Kobe's first 2-3 years brought his averages down more than his last few years did. LBJ was averaging 20+ in the league the night after HS graduation.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:16 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

There it is. The old "Jordan did all by himself" argument. In the next thread Rick will be arguing with Vegan that Scottie was one of the 50 best of all-time. Fuckin' Bulls fans. Unbelievable.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:34 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

There it is. The old "Jordan did all by himself" argument. In the next thread Rick will be arguing with Vegan that Scottie was one of the 50 best of all-time. Fuckin' Bulls fans. Unbelievable.

Except, I gave a ton of credit to Scottie there. The Horace and Rodman stuff is factual.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:37 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Except, I gave a ton of credit to Scottie there. The Horace and Rodman stuff is factual.

It's not. Horace was a solid all-around player when he was with the Bulls and Rodman was a specialist at the top of his game. The reason they got him for Will Perdue had nothing to do with him being "washed up".

Jordan played on manufactured teams. In fact, that's his advantage. The guy who manufactured his teams was smarter than Jordan or LeBron. How the teams were put together shouldn't even be discussed when evaluating the players.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:46 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It's not. Horace was a solid all-around player when he was with the Bulls and Rodman was a specialist at the top of his game. The reason they got him for Will Perdue had nothing to do with him being "washed up".
Horace was a pretty good starting PF in the NBA during his time with the Bulls. Nothing more and nothing less.

Why was Rodman traded for a backup center? Whatever the reason, he was at a low enough value to only get a backup center in return.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Jordan played on manufactured teams. In fact, that's his advantage. The guy who manufactured his teams was smarter than Jordan or LeBron. How the teams were put together shouldn't even be discussed when evaluating the players.
What is a manufactured team? I mean, the Bulls weren't put together by random chance but I don't really understand what you are saying here. Every team in history is manufactured.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:48 am 

Grant is debatable. He was a good player for sure. Moderate may be underselling him a little.

In no way was Rodman washed up when he was traded. The Spurs didn't like his act but he was his usual dominant rebounding self.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:52 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Grant is debatable. He was a good player for sure. Moderate may be underselling him a little.

In no way was Rodman washed up when he was traded. The Spurs didn't like his act but he was his usual dominant rebounding self.

"Washed up" may be a poor word choice but there aren't many NBA hall of famers in the peak of their career that get traded for a package like a backup center.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:53 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

"Washed up" may be a poor word choice but there aren't many NBA hall of famers in the peak of their career that get traded for a package like a backup center.

Similar to Kenny's brilliant trade for A.J. Pierzynski in 2005.

A.J. was still great, it just wasnt working in SF. Kenny and Crumbs took advantage of the markets.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:55 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

There aren't many NBA Hall of Famers who aggravate the living shit out of David Robinson and Sean Elliot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:00 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

There aren't many NBA Hall of Famers who aggravate the living shit out of David Robinson and Sean Elliot.
If MJ can handle Rodman why couldn't they?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

If MJ can handle Rodman why couldn't they?

I'm pretty sure Phil "handled" Rodman in as much as he could be handled. They also used a roster spot on a guy who couldn't play just to babysit him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next