It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
leashyourkids wrote:
That still doesn't make it the "glamor position," but whatever. This argument is boring.

Prime Lebron would beat MJ in 1-on-1.

No way. This one I really believe wouldn’t be all that close. Jordan was clearly the better one on one player, imo.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
The best thing about this multi thread argument is FF and LTG finally agree on something.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Terry's Peeps wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
I mean it probably was in early-mid 80s.

Aguire, Dantley, Walter Davis. All were pretty good/borderline great. On top of Jordan and Drexler.

Read LYK's and my lists of big men/SFs in the '80s.

Oh I know.

And I agree with yous guys.

Just trying to help a guy out.

Revisionist history.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:26 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:
The best thing about this multi thread argument is FF and LTG finally agree on something.

Can someone identify any of the elite SF's that James is locking up with? For some reason no one wants to answer that.

I also remember a young developing Paul George getting up with him in that Indiana series too.

As i keep stating its dumb to focus on a mid 90's Jordan he was still the best player in the league but he wasn't as dominant. I understand why the young whipper snapper Dan Bernstein influenced members only reference the mid 90's. I really do. The black as hell, Jordan with Hair version was more dominant though.

Not only was he the best offensive player in the league but he was also one of the top defensive players in the league too. He was a lockdown defender. James has never been that.

He was dragged talentless rosters to the playoffs and won series when the Bulls were decidely the underdog.

If you list the number of All Stars that Jordan played with during his career and compare them to the number Lebron has played with it really becomes an even bigger joke.

Last edited by long time guy on Sun May 06, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:27 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Can someone identify any of the elite SF's that James is locking up with? For some reason no one wants to answer that

Shawn Marion, Kawhi, Durant.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Can someone identify any of the elite SF's that James is locking up with? For some reason no one wants to answer that

It doesn't fucking matter. You beat teams not players. Who gives a shit if Miller outplayed Jordan during the ECF in 1998? Jordan won the fucking series - that's what matters.

Hey LTG, we all in agreement now that despite being alive and a NBA fan during both the 1980s and 1990s that you aren't able to correctly identify that big men ruled both decades?

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:34 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

It doesn't fucking matter. You beat teams not players. Who gives a shit if Miller outplayed Jordan during the ECF in 1998? Jordan won the fucking series - that's what matters.

Agreed. That’s one of the reasons Jordan > LeBron

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:38 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

You can't use winning as a gauge. Using that metric makes Bill Russell the best player in history.

As Van Gundy once stated winning is not only a product of who you are but its also a product of who you play with.

Winning as a means of determining the best players are is one of the most flawed assessment schemes perpetrated on sports fans and it came into vogue during the talk show evolution phase.

Jordan was the best player in the NBA years before he ever won a championship. Everyone knew it and proclaimed him as such yet the whole "winning" thing was used to discredit him. It was pure bullshit.

Last edited by long time guy on Sun May 06, 2018 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:38 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Can someone identify any of the elite SF's that James is locking up with? For some reason no one wants to answer that.

I also remember a young developing Paul George getting up with him in that Indiana series too.

As i keep stating its dumb to focus on a mid 90's Jordan he was still the best player in the league but he wasn't as dominant. I understand why the young whipper snapper Dan Bernstein influenced members only reference the mid 90's. I really do. The black as hell, Jordan with Hair version was more dominant though.

Not only was he the best offensive player in the league but he was also one of the top defensive players in the league too. He was a lockdown defender. James has never been that.

He was dragged talentless rosters to the playoffs and won series when the Bulls were decidely the underdog.

If you list the number of All Stars that Jordan played with during his career and compare them to the number Lebron has played with it really becomes an even bigger joke.

This is the third appeal to authority on this board in the last day.

You're wrong because I saw it live is not a compelling argument. I wasn't going to mention it, but you've mentioned it like five times. Seems like that's the well you're going to when losing an argument.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:39 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

You can't use winning as a gauge. Using that metric makes Bill Russell the best player in history.

As Van Gundy once stated winning is not only a product of who you are but its also a product of who you play with.

Winning as a means of determining the best players are is one of the most flawed assessment schemes perpetrated on sports fans and it came into vogue during the talk show evolution phase.

Correct, and basketball is the worst culprit.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:41 pm 

Paperboy was the glamour job during the heydey of the internet boom.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Not taking winning into account is how you have people believing Javier Vazquez was a better pitcher than Mark Buehrle.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:43 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Not taking winning into account is how you have people believing Javier Vazquez was a better pitcher than Mark Buehrle.

Correct. This is even more true in basketball where one player can overwhelmingly affect a game.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:43 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

It's not that you don't take it into account. It's that saying "player x is better than player z because they won more titles" is a terrible argument. Unless you think Robert Horry is better than Hakeem Olajuwon.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:45 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

It's not that you don't take it into account. It's that saying "player x is better than player z because they won more titles" is a terrible argument. Unless you think Robert Horry is better than Hakeem Olajuwon.

I hope you’re smart enough to know how ridiculous that oversimplication was.

It’s fair to measure it fairly heavily when talking about the greatest player of all time in a sport where one player has a disproportionately large influence on the game.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:45 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

You're wrong because I saw it live is not a compelling argument. I wasn't going to mention it, but you've mentioned it like five times. Seems like that's the well you're going to when losing an argument.

No but you and others that continue to support your argument have no frame of reference other than a pd when he was already 8 years in. In fact a lot of it is even later. John Starks? 98 Reggie Miller? That wasn't the best Jordan era. He was 36 years old in 98.

I also don't think that Jordan's career began when he began winning championships which is something that Vegan keeps pumping.

Its not just that i saw him its that those were in fact his best years. He was more dominant of a player then.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:52 pm 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

No but you and others that continue to support your argument have no frame of reference other than a pd when he was already 8 years in. In fact a lot of it is even later. John Starks? 98 Reggie Miller? That wasn't the best Jordan era. He was 36 years old in 98.

I also don't think that Jordan's career began when he began winning championships which is something that Vegan keeps pumping.

Its not just that i saw him its that those were in fact his best years. He was more dominant of a player then.

Again, this post doesn't support your argument and instead talks about how you know more because you were there. It's a tell-tale sign of a bad argument.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:57 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Again, this post doesn't support your argument and instead talks about how you know more because you were there. It's a tell-tale sign of a bad argument.

Isn't the same argument used by you and Vegan? You are using your 90's viewership of Jordan as a way of discrediting him. There is absolutely no difference. You want me to ignore that pd because you are mostly unaware of it but i can't or won't. Jordan had a career pre Lakers series. I wish that you could comment on that era but i'm not going to not reference it simply because you can't.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Jordan was definitely the best player in the 80s. What always was the thing holding him back from being in the conversation of all time greats was the missing championship.

He was immensely more talented in the 80s.

In the 90s he became a better overall player and teammate.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:09 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Jordan was definitely the best player in the 80s. What always was the thing holding him back from being in the conversation of all time greats was the missing championship.

He was immensely more talented in the 80s.

In the 90s he became a better overall player and teammate.

Thanks. The thing that people often overlooked with him was his defense. He was a dominant defender too. Doug Collins placed him at the point so that he could avoid double teams and he avg a triple double for the entirety of the time he played the position.

Dragging that garbage ass Bulls team to 7 games against a great Detroit team was probably his single biggest achievement pre championship. Shot on Ehlo was 2nd. That Cleveland team was loaded.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:12 pm 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Isn't the same argument used by you and Vegan? You are using your 90's viewership of Jordan as a way of discrediting him. There is absolutely no difference. You want me to ignore that pd because you are mostly unaware of it but i can't or won't. Jordan had a career pre Lakers series. I wish that you could comment on that era but i'm not going to not reference it simply because you can't.

No, it's not the same unless we were trying to prohibit you from commenting on the 90's. We're not.

You don't seem to understand that we are keenly aware of 80s Jordan, have watched a ton of his games (especially the best ones), and obviously have access to his stats. Either you want to discuss it or you don't. BUT your opinion isn't the right one simply because you saw it live. If our argument is bad, make a better one. Continuing to say that we're wrong because we're younger than you isn't the least bit compelling or interesting. If you're gonna do that, then just sit here and argue with Walt.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:17 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:

No, it's not the same unless we were trying to prohibit you from commenting on the 90's. We're not.

You don't seem to understand that we are keenly aware of 80s Jordan, have watched a ton of his games (especially the best ones), and obviously have access to his stats. Either you want to discuss it or you don't. BUT your opinion isn't the right one simply because you saw it live. If our argument is bad, make a better one. Continuing to say that we're wrong because we're younger than you isn't the least bit compelling or interesting. If you're gonna do that, then just sit here and argue with Walt.

I never said it was but i do notice that none of the comments other than Peeps relate to that era. Jordan was slowing down in the 90's. He was still the best in the game but he wasn't the same force that he was in the 80's.

Why in the hell do you think they love showing that Iverson crossover so much? The crossover showing is supposed to illustrate that Jordan was aging and in decline more than anything.

Also the greatness of any athlete is always relative to the people that they are competing against. You can't get a gauge as to Lebron's greatness by watching him dominate Journeymen and mediocre rookies.

That is why matchups against guys like Durant are important. If he is that guy then he decidely wins that particular matchup. Again we are discussing individual players not teams. You are writing this as he dominates a mediocre rookie. Regardless of whether he wins the series or not as the best player he should be expected to outplay Durant. Last season he didn't.

Last edited by long time guy on Sun May 06, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:21 pm 

No one would be offended if you reference the 80s. I know I wouldn't. But you can do it without bringing up our age. Maybe you could tell us about some game you saw that we never did. It's not like this is some zero-sum game where everyone is just trying to win. At the end of the day, I'm still probably not gonna get laid and will retire to my basement to get beaten by 12 year olds in NBA 2k18 before going to bed.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:22 pm 

long time guy wrote:
I never said it was but i do notice that none of the comments other than Peeps relate to that era. Jordan was slowing down in the 90's. He was still the best in the game but he wasn't the same force that he was in the 80's.

Why in the hell do you think they love showing that Iverson crossover so much? The crossover showing is supposed to illustrate that Jordan was aging and in decline more than anything.

It's not clear what or who you're arguing. As far as I can tell you seem to be saying Jordan was really good in the '80s. I don't think anyone disagrees. What you've gotten away from is insisting that the 2 guard was the glamour position of the 80s and 90s. For the record, you've been thoroughly refuted on that front. :D

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
veganfan21 wrote:
Paperboy was the glamour job during the heyday of the internet boom.

And a frustrating but top-notch arcade game too.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:27 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
No one would be offended if you reference the 80s. I know I wouldn't. But you can do it without bringing up our age. Maybe you could tell us about some game you saw that we never did. It's not like this is some zero-sum game where everyone is just trying to win. At the end of the day, I'm still probably not gonna get laid and will retire to my basement to get beaten by 12 year olds in NBA 2k18 before going to bed.

I saw the vast majority of Jordan's games. Of the ones i remember it would be the ones most talked about. I remember Boston. I also remember vaguely the passing of the torch game with him and Doctor J. I remember him and Ehlo. Remember a great deal of Bad Boys/Jordan Rules games.

i also remember watching Terrance Stansbury get up with him in a college game. I thought it was going to continue once they got to the league but he flamed out like a motherfucker.

Last edited by long time guy on Sun May 06, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:30 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

It's not clear what or who you're arguing. As far as I can tell you seem to be saying Jordan was really good in the '80s. I don't think anyone disagrees. What you've gotten away from is insisting that the 2 guard was the glamour position of the 80s and 90s. For the record, you've been thoroughly refuted on that front. :D

I said late 80's early 90's and i really don't care to belabor the point since you have yet to provide any info. Particularly as it relates to the late 80's. I just provided 4 hofs from that pd to support what i stated.

How many great SF's has Lebron matched up with again? I missed your answer to that.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
leashyourkids wrote:
It pains me to say, and I’m currently shedding a tear by posting this, but it’s time for the denial to stop. LeBron will wind up surpassing MJ. The sooner we accept it, the easier it will be. His game last night shows how much he has left. He’s shooting 61% with 29, 8, and 9 at age 33. Jordan was 33 for the second to last championship. He was still a champion, but he wasn’t racking shit like that. And he had played a lot fewer games than LeBron at that age.

Now before I get crucified, know that I probably watched at least 78 of Jordan’s games that year and the next year... and he was slowing down. At that point, it was more of a Jordan-Pippen dominated team than a Jordan team. Jordan could still finish games and series, but he was having a lot of 7-26 type “warrior” games in the playoffs. We just happen to remember the flu game and his closing moments.

If LeBron retired today, I’d still say Jordan, but Lebron still has a number of superstar level years left. And when it counts, he’s still the best in the game.

Jordan might still be the best scorer or the most focused finisher, but if I’m starting a franchise today with either player, knowing that I’ll have them the next 20 years, it’s probably LeBron.

Barry Rozner wrote:
Why do you hate MJ so much?!?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:41 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
That still doesn't make it the "glamor position," but whatever. This argument is boring.

Prime Lebron would beat MJ in 1-on-1.

No way. This one I really believe wouldn’t be all that close. Jordan was clearly the better one on one player, imo.

Are we really at the point now where even though James supposedly plays with terrible teammates he choses to not score as much as Jordan?

Maybe he shouldn't be deferring to trash and he would win more rings.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:47 pm 

I think at minimum he should have won 3/4 in Miami. They should have beat Dallas. In their first loss to GS they didn't have Love. Someone broke his arm in the first round. They should get obliterated on paper if they play GS this year.

2013 CSFMB ROY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11