It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Lebron won a final he was expected to lose in 2016, which is something Jordan never did. Of course he also lost a final he was expected to win in 2011, which is also something Jordan never did.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:57 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Lebron won a final he was expected to lose in 2016, which is something Jordan never did. Of course he also lost a final he was expected to win in 2011, which is also something Jordan never did.
Jordan was never expected to lose a Final. I'd say that is a little better than any of those things.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:02 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Jordan was never expected to lose a Final. I'd say that is a little better than any of those things.
That says more about his surrounding talent and level of competition than Jordan himself though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:18 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
That says more about his surrounding talent and level of competition than Jordan himself though.
There it is! Jordan would have a better resume if his teams were less dominant.

Maybe, he could even have lost to a team in the Finals to prove they were a good team and then beaten that team the next year to prove they beat a good team and then lost to that team again the next year but that's ok because that team would be a great team because they beat his team twice and proved how great they were.

Jordan: Not the GOAT because he was the favorite in every Finals he played in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:35 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Maybe, he could even have lost to a team in the Finals to prove they were a good team and then beaten that team the next year to prove they beat a good team and then lost to that team again the next year but that's ok because that team would be a great team because they beat his team twice and proved how great they were.

Last year's Warriors team obliterates every single team the Jordan Bulls faced in the finals. You didn't have to see Lebron go back and forth with them before adding Durant to reach that conclusion, you just need to have a lick of common sense.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:43 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Last year's Warriors team obliterates every single team the Jordan Bulls faced in the finals. You didn't have to see Lebron go back and forth with them before adding Durant to reach that conclusion, you just need to have a lick of common sense.

That's fine. At least be the best player in the series if you are the GOAT.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Rick, this is the one and only time where I'll at least partially agree with you that we can factor results heavily. That is because basketball is a sport where the greatest ever conversation does have to revolve around team success and Jordan set the bar so high that it's hard not to.

That said, you still have to acknowledge that there are other factors beyond a player's control. It's not always apples-to-apples. If you're going to knock Lebron for manufacturing a team (I think it was a bitch move too but it still doesn't impact his on-court performance), you must also acknowledge that the team he lost to last year was also a manufactured team that was almost certainly better than any team Jordan ever faced. I mean, that has to matter, right?

We are getting into some semantics here, which is fine, but I have a feeling that even if Lebron won two or three more championships, fans of Jordan would be saying "Yeah, but he didn't go undefeated in the Finals!" I mean, it has to matter that he got there a gajillion times, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:02 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I'd say he still probably was. Durant's scoring numbers look nice, but Lebron nearly matched them, averaged a triple double for the finals, and had greater responsibility on the defensive end of the floor. This doesn't even get into the fact that the Warriors' team stats only slightly went down whenever Durant was off the court whereas the Cavs' plummeted whenever James sat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:06 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Rick, this is the one and only time where I'll at least partially agree with you that we can factor results heavily. That is because basketball is a sport where the greatest ever conversation does have to revolve around team success and Jordan set the bar so high that it's hard not to.

That said, you still have to acknowledge that there are other factors beyond a player's control. It's not always apples-to-apples. If you're going to knock Lebron for manufacturing a team (I think it was a bitch move too but it still doesn't impact his on-court performance), you must also acknowledge that the team he lost to last year was also a manufactured team that was almost certainly better than any team Jordan ever faced. I mean, that has to matter, right?

We are getting into some semantics here, which is fine, but I have a feeling that even if Lebron won two or three more championships, fans of Jordan would be saying "Yeah, but he didn't go undefeated in the Finals!" I mean, it has to matter that he got there a gajillion times, doesn't it?

If you are going to factor in teams that Jordan faced in the finals then you have to factor in teams that James has faced in order to get to the Finals. During his 7 consecutive trips James never has had to defeat a team as good as any that Jordan faced in order to get to the Finals.

James also lost to a Dallas team in which the discrepancy in the talent level was immense. That would have never occurred with Jordan. Those Portland teams and Phoenix teams could have played with G.S. also

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:11 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I'd say he still probably was. Durant's scoring numbers look nice, but Lebron nearly matched them, averaged a triple double for the finals, and had greater responsibility on the defensive end of the floor. This doesn't even get into the fact that the Warriors' team stats only slightly went down whenever Durant was off the court whereas the Cavs' plummeted whenever James sat.

What were their respective usage rates for the series? without looking at the numbers I'd be shocked if James's weren't significantly higher. I hate analytics for the most part but usage rate is a pretty meaningful stat imo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:20 pm 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

If you are going to factor in teams that Jordan faced in the finals then you have to factor in teams that James has faced in order to get to the Finals. During his 7 consecutive trips James never has had to defeat a team as good as any that Jordan faced in order to get to the Finals.

James also lost to a Dallas team in which the discrepancy in the talent level was immense. That would have never occurred with Jordan. Those Portland teams and Phoenix teams could have played with G.S. also

It's a difficult thing to quantify, and I change my position on it every 5 minutes. I could argue in favor of all subjective opinions regarding the team and competition and turn around and argue that it's all too subjective to add any value and that none of it should be discussed. I don't know. Given their careers, I'd say they both had a number of arguments in favor of or against regarding their situations and the cards they were dealt.

I also don't agree completely that those Portland or Phoenix teams could have played with GS. If we're playing with '90s rules, maybe. If we're playing with today's rules, no way. They'd shoot them out of the gym because they can't be moved with a hand check. That adds even another layer of difficulty in assessing those things.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:24 pm 

I think the timing of their careers contributes to the discussion, too. Jordan benefitted from playing first. His skill set had never really been witnessed before from a perimeter player. There were guys who were as athletic before, but I don't know that there was anyone who really had the whole package with basically no weaknesses. He also came of age when basketball was exploding internationally on the heels of Magic and Bird. He took full advantage of it, obviously, but it was the perfect storm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:26 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

It's a difficult thing to quantify, and I change my position on it every 5 minutes. I could argue in favor of all subjective opinions regarding the team and competition and turn around and argue that it's all too subjective to add any value and that none of it should be discussed. I don't know. Given their careers, I'd say they both had a number of arguments in favor of or against regarding their situations and the cards they were dealt.

I also don't agree completely that those Portland or Phoenix teams could have played with GS. If we're playing with '90s rules, maybe. If we're playing with today's rules, no way. They'd shoot them out of the gym because they can't be moved with a hand check. That adds even another layer of difficulty in assessing those things.

Durant would be the most difficult guy in my opinion. Curry gets his but no way would he be able to stay in front of KJ. Phoenix also had more scorers than G.S. If I remember right there were 6-7 guys in double figures on that team. They had shooters too but not like G.S. Barkley dominates Green too.

Post subject: Re: LeBron = GOAT
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
FrankDrebin wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
It pains me to say, and I’m currently shedding a tear by posting this, but it’s time for the denial to stop. LeBron will wind up surpassing MJ. The sooner we accept it, the easier it will be. His game last night shows how much he has left. He’s shooting 61% with 29, 8, and 9 at age 33. Jordan was 33 for the second to last championship. He was still a champion, but he wasn’t racking shit like that. And he had played a lot fewer games than LeBron at that age.

Now before I get crucified, know that I probably watched at least 78 of Jordan’s games that year and the next year... and he was slowing down. At that point, it was more of a Jordan-Pippen dominated team than a Jordan team. Jordan could still finish games and series, but he was having a lot of 7-26 type “warrior” games in the playoffs. We just happen to remember the flu game and his closing moments.

If LeBron retired today, I’d still say Jordan, but Lebron still has a number of superstar level years left. And when it counts, he’s still the best in the game.

Jordan might still be the best scorer or the most focused finisher, but if I’m starting a franchise today with either player, knowing that I’ll have them the next 20 years, it’s probably LeBron.

Still Jordan. Remember the tightening of the defensive rules, allowing offense to explode in this era. I think LeBron is the most talented player I've seen, but the best basketball player is still Jordan.

This.

MJ was an assassin.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:29 pm 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Durant would be the most difficult guy in my opinion. Curry gets his but no way would he be able to stay in front of KJ. Phoenix also had more scorers than G.S. If I remember right there were 6-7 guys in double figures on that team. They had shooters too but not like G.S. Barkley dominates Green too.

It would be interesting as hell, that's for sure. There is no modern NBA team who can play a real slow down game and take these guys out of their rhythm. Memphis of a few years ago might be the closest. It would be a hell of a task, even with a big, post-focused team.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
If you were 18 years old and could choose to have Jordan's physical attributes or LeBron's, I bet most people take LeBron's. He should have been the best all time hands down. But no one has ever matched Jordan's competitiveness- will to win every damn night. LeBron just deferred too much in his career. Both great and glad I got to see their entire careers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:30 pm 

The thing about defensive rule changes is that some people pretend the only thing that's changed are rules regarding flagrant fouls and handchecking. I'm sure James would be happy to have hand checking back if it meant zones were illegal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:35 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
The thing about defensive rule changes is that some people pretend the only thing that's changed are rules regarding flagrant fouls and handchecking. I'm sure James would be happy to have hand checking back if it meant zones were illegal.

That's true. I think the rules today benefit Golden State more than Lebron. Hand checking would have hurt GS, and the use of zones probably helps them more than it hurts. They'll just stand outside and jack 40-footers.

I don't believe for a second that past rules would have negatively affected Lebron. He is the most physical perimeter player in history, and that's not even a debate. He's a freight train... pretty sure he could have played through Joe Dumars hand checking him and Bill Laimbeer trying to foul him hard. He would have put Laimbeer through the rim.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:37 pm 

Jordan was a better defender than Lebron James also. James's defense has always been overrated. Actually the emphasis on 3 pointers may hinder Jordan in today's NBA. He was a mid range assassin but the analytics guys would have destroyed him alas Derozan. An 80's version Jordan would have been murder on today's NBA. He'd have been too quick.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:42 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

That's true. I think the rules today benefit Golden State more than Lebron. Hand checking would have hurt GS, and the use of zones probably helps them more than it hurts. They'll just stand outside and jack 40-footers.

I don't believe for a second that past rules would have negatively affected Lebron. He is the most physical perimeter player in history, and that's not even a debate. He's a freight train... pretty sure he could have played through Joe Dumars hand checking him and Bill Laimbeer trying to foul him hard. He would have put Laimbeer through the rim.

He could have but prob wouldnt have most times. It is not in him

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I'm not reading thru all this bullshit. Has Leash been properly kicked in the nuts yet?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
I'd object to Pippen calling Jordan the best scorer ever or something like that. I'd say he was one of the best winners, as scoring implies too much one dimensionality, and MJ was anything but one dimensional.

I don't think you can compare MJ to LBJ defensively because their different body types means they were capable of doing some things that the other wouldn't be capable of. Actually, in writing that I've realized that not only did I end on a preposition, but I also realized that there's probably nothing MJ did defensively that LBJ couldn't do. That has more to do with LBJ's body than it does any unique talent or skill.

To denisdman's point, if you merged LBJ's body and skillset with MJ's drive and competitive nature, you're looking at the undisputed best player ever. On the other hand I don't know about anyone who played before like 1995, so maybe some of those guys would be in contention as well.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:30 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
I can't read.

You're too hard on yourself.

Post subject: Re: LeBron = GOAT
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
shakes wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
shakes wrote:
only a fucking idiot millennial would start a thread this stupid.

It's closer than a lot of Chicagoans would like to admit.

It's really not.

Correct. Not even worth the effort to post a serious rebuttal.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:13 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

LeBron didn't have greater responsibility on the defensive end. In fact, MANY agree his porous defense was a main factor in golden state's domination. Durant was definitely the best player in that series.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I hate to agree with Rick, but I also find it amusing you are attempting to spin "he was favored in every Finals he ever played in" as a negative :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:25 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

LeBron didn't have greater responsibility on the defensive end. In fact, MANY agree his porous defense was a main factor in golden state's domination. Durant was definitely the best player in that series.

I absolutely think he was expected to do more on that end. The Warriors much better team defense and the limited number of actual offensive weapons for the Cavs meant Durant didn't have to bear as much of the individual burden on that end compared to Lebron.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:26 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

I hate to agree with Rick, but I also find it amusing you are attempting to spin "he was favored in every Finals he ever played in" as a negative :lol:

It's only a negative for Jordan if you read any positive for James as necessarily being denigrating towards him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:27 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I absolutely think he was expected to do more on that end. The Warriors much better team defense and the limited number of actual offensive weapons for the Cavs meant Durant didn't have to bear as much of the individual burden on that end compared to Lebron.

Yeah, but so what? If you have an increased defensive burden and you are an absolute liability on defense, it's not a notch in your favor.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:43 pm 

It was incumbent on James to shut Durant down and he didn't. It just seems like all of the big shots in that series were being made by Durant. At no point in the series did he have difficulty scoring on LeBron.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next