It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:05 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
I agree that John Starks sucked, but their media-imposed "rivalry" just goes to show how little competition Jordan had on the perimeter. Those Knicks teams gave the Bulls trouble because they were crazy physical. Ewing, Oakley, Smith, Xavier McDaniel and later Mason and Larry Johnson .

During the late 80's early 90's the 2 guard position was the glamour position of the NBA

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
long time guy wrote:

You sound stupid saying Dumars wasn't a rival. First of all they had to defeat Detroit in order to get to the Finals. This occurred 2 seasons in a row and they also got bounced in the semis another year. Dumars was twice the player John Starks was.

Listen, you're getting your ass handed to you in this thread by people you dismiss because of their age. I understand why you'd be frustrated.
"The 2 guard position during that period was the glamour position of the NBA" is quite possibly the most inaccurate thing ever said about the NBA in history. And to back that up you've named three (3) SGs. Take the L on this one, though something tells me you won't.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Late 80s early 90s NBA was all about the big men outside of Jordan.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
As I recall, one of the reasons they begged Jordan to play on the Dream Team is because there was such a huge dropoff at the 2 after him. Clyde Drexler was not that great. He was a primary scorer with a career average of 20 PPG and only two seasons scoring over 25. They didn't want him to start on the Dream Team. They practically begged Jordan.

Drexler was regarded as the second best two in the game. He scored and assisted at a high clip. The dropoff was due to Jordan's greatness as a player. 92 was also the year that he destroyed him in the Finals.

Lebron James was outplayed by Durant last year. He was outplayed by Dirk in 11. Leonard held his own with him as developing player.

Jordan was the best player in every finals series that he ever participated in.

Lebron is killing mediocre rookies and other non descript players. These gaudy numbers are not being attained against elite players.

I think your age is showing here.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:14 pm 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
I agree that John Starks sucked, but their media-imposed "rivalry" just goes to show how little competition Jordan had on the perimeter. Those Knicks teams gave the Bulls trouble because they were crazy physical. Ewing, Oakley, Smith, Xavier McDaniel and later Mason and Larry Johnson .

During the late 80's early 90's the 2 guard position was the glamour position of the NBA

Yeah, because of Michael Jordan.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:30 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Two top players of the '90s list. The only top SG in any of these lists is MJ. The majority are centers and PFs. :lol:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/134 ... 0s#slide18

http://www.complex.com/sports/2012/11/t ... s/1990s-11

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:34 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Two top players of the '90s list. The only top SG in any of these lists is MJ. The majority are centers and PFs. :lol:

Your only reference is the 90's. Jordan was a better player during the 80's.

The 2 guard position was also better during the 80's. You already demonstrated that you don't know what you are talking about by referencing John Starks as a "rival"

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:36 pm 

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

That's not the argument. Your argument is that the "2 guard was the glamour position of the '90s." It most certainly was not.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:38 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

That's not the argument. Your argument, which is complete bullshit by the way, is that the "2 guard was the glamour position of the '90s." It most certainly was not.

It was during the 80's and Jordan was a better player during the 80's. You have no knowledge of that pd that is why you continue to avoid it.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:39 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Yeah there was a real dearth of top flight guards from 90-98.

It was definitely a big man's league.

leashyourkids wrote:

You have to be kidding. Center was the glamor position, and power forward was pretty damn good.

Ewing, Olajuwon, David Robinson , young Shaq, Mourning, Arvydas, Daugherty

PF's - Barkley, Malone, Kemp, Larry Nance, Larry Johnson

Jordan's only two real competitors were Drexler and Richmond. For Christ sake, they once labeled Gerald Wilkins "the Jordan Stopper." I think Jordan put like 50 on him the next time they met.

Jbi11s wrote:
Late 80s early 90s NBA was all about the big men outside of Jordan.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:42 pm 

So who were the dominant SG's of the late 80s?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:48 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

Joe Dumars HOF

Clyde Drexler HOf

Mitch Richmond HoF

Ron Harper good to Great player pre injury. Top 2G

Reggie Miller. HoF

Now let me ask this. We keep discrediting the guys that Jordan had to compete against.

Which topflight SF has James had to play against other than Durant? How did he fare in those matchups? Look at the tomato cans that he is dominating currently. None of these guys will ever be all stars let alone HOF's. How many of these guys will ever be anything besides role players?

Last edited by long time guy on Sun May 06, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:

Outside of Jordan and Drexler I don't know that you could find a dominant one. At least not from 88 on.

Edit: Reggie Miller is a good one. Thought he came in in 90 but he makes the late 80s cut.

Last edited by Terry's Peeps on Sun May 06, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:52 pm 

That's not how the argument evolved. It was you saying that the late 80s and early 90s were the golden age of the 2-guard.

You've listed three guys from the Western Conference and one guy from the East who wasn't even the best player on his team.

Will you just admit you misspoke?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:54 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
That's not how the argument evolved. It was you saying that the late 80s and early 90s were the golden age of the 2-guard.

You've listed three guys from the Western Conference and one guy from the East who wasn't even the best player on his team.

So is the Western Conf. on another planet or something. Its still part of the NBA. Which eastern Conf Small forwards has Lebron had to compete against then?

Its not a misspeak as the West is still part of the league. The Center position took off during the 90's

Reggie Miller Harper and Dumars were all Eastern Conf players so you are wrong on that score.

Last edited by long time guy on Sun May 06, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:55 pm 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

So is the Western Conf. on another planet or something. Its still part of the NBA. Which eastern Conf Small forwards has Lebron had to compete against then?

So you're still maintaining that the glamor position of the 80s and 90s was shooting guard?

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:56 pm 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Joe Dumars HOF

Clyde Drexler HOf

Mitch Richmond HoF

Now let me ask this. We keep discrediting the guys that Jordan had to compete against.

Which topflight SF has James had to play against other than Durant? How did he fare in those matchups? Look at the tomato cans that he is dominating currently. None these guys will never be all stars let alone HOF's. How many of these will ever be anything besides role players?

No one is discrediting Jordan's competition. We're (or some of us) are discrediting this one on one matchup paradigm that you seem to let go. It's a 5 on 5 game.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:57 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

So you're still maintaining that the glamor position of the 80s and 90s was shooting guard?

Late 80's Early 90's yes. The Center position became dominant in the mid 90's. It wasn't the case during the late 80's.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:57 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

veganfan21 wrote:

Listen, you're getting your ass handed to you in this thread by people you dismiss because of their age. I understand why you'd be frustrated.
"The 2 guard position during that period was the glamour position of the NBA" is quite possibly the most inaccurate thing ever said about the NBA in history. And to back that up you've named three (3) SGs. Take the L on this one, though something tells me you won't.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:01 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Joe Dumars HOF

Clyde Drexler HOf

Mitch Richmond HoF

Which topflight SF has James had to play against other than Durant? How did he fare in those matchups? Look at the tomato cans that he is dominating currently. None these guys will never be all stars let alone HOF's. How many of these will ever be anything besides role players?

No one is discrediting Jordan's competition. We're (or some of us) are discrediting this one on one matchup paradigm that you seem to let go. It's a 5 on 5 game.

Which guys has James had to matchup with?. Again you are using teamplay in conjunction with something based on individual play. Even that is non supportive of your argument since Jordan has 6 rings to James's 3. Second and 3rd best player on Jordan's "teams" were worse than James's and Jordan played against better teams overall.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:02 pm 

long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Late 80's Early 90's yes. The Center position became dominant in the mid 90's. It wasn't the case during the late 80's.

Every center I listed played in the 80s except Shaq and Zo. Ewing and Hakeem were even drafted in the early 80s. And if we go back to the 80s, let's not forget Kareem, Moses Malone, Bill Walton, Robert Patish, Artist Gilmore, Ralph Sampson, Vlade...

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:04 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

You sound stupid saying Dumars wasn't a rival. First of all they had to defeat Detroit in order to get to the Finals. This occurred 2 seasons in a row and they also got bounced in the semis another year. Dumars was twice the player John Starks was.

The dumbest thing stated in this thread was that former grocery bagger John Starks was somehow a "rival" of Michael Jordan. Even Leash had to pump the brakes on that stupid shit.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:05 pm 

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Joe Dumars HOF

Clyde Drexler HOf

Mitch Richmond HoF

Which guys has James had to matchup with?. Again you are using teamplay in conjunction with something based on individual play. Even that is non supportive of your argument since Jordan has 6 rings to James's 3. Second and 3rd best player on Jordan's "teams" were worse than James's and Jordan played against better teams overall.

Tired matchup paradigm again. Yawn - whatever.

So, you're wrong on the '80s too:

Sampson
McHale
Bird
Hakeem
Kareem
Magic
Ewing
Robinson
Malone
Malone
Barkley
Wilkins

Gonna take the L on this or we [still] gonna do this?

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:07 pm 

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

The dumbest thing stated in this thread was that former grocery bagger John Starks was somehow a "rival" of Michael Jordan. Even Leash had to pump the brakes on that stupid shit.

I never said that - read it again. I don't want to interrupt your "Obama turned the White House lights off after Trump was elected" moment though. Keep on trying to convince us that the SG was the glamour position at some point during the '80s or '90s.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:09 pm 

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I never said he was, but he was more of a "rival" in that Jordan very rarely played the others you mentioned. He met up with Starks seemingly every year. Or Craig Ehlo.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:12 pm 

I mean it probably was in early-mid 80s.

Aguire, Dantley, Walter Davis. All were pretty good/borderline great. On top of Jordan and Drexler.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:14 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

Aguire, Dantley, Walter Davis. All were pretty good/borderline great. On top of Jordan and Drexler.

Read LYK's and my lists of big men/SFs in the '80s.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:16 pm 

That still doesn't make it the "glamor position," but whatever. This argument is boring.

Prime Lebron would beat MJ in 1-on-1.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:16 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Read LYK's and my lists of big men/SFs in the '80s.

Oh I know.

And I agree with yous guys.

Just trying to help a guy out.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:17 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I never said that - read it again. I don't want to interrupt your "Obama turned the White House lights off after Trump was elected" moment though. Keep on trying to convince us that the SG was the glamour position at some point during the '80s or '90s.

I just provided 4 Hall of famers. Can you name all of the great SF's that Lebron has had to run through or are you going to continue ducking it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next