It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 588 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
I'm going with Embiid still but the margin is very slim. Embiid looks like the choice for MVP if they had to choose today but he has to remain healthy.

They are head and shoulders above every other center in the game right now. Agree with that.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:16 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
The Missing Link wrote:
I'm going with Embiid still but the margin is very slim. Embiid looks like the choice for MVP if they had to choose today but he has to remain healthy.

They are head and shoulders above every other center in the game right now. Agree with that.

Is it fair to say that we were both right and wrong? Years ago when this debate started I underestimated Embiid and you underestimated Joker

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:08 am 

FavreFan wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Is it fair to say that we were both right and wrong? Years ago when this debate started I underestimated Embiid and you underestimated Joker

Yeah I had Joker as a clear #2 whereas now he's more like a 1A. I was WRONG about him being a "decided #2"

However if Embiid had played more 10-15 more games last season he likely would be headed towards back to back MVPs.

He is trending heavily towards "best player in the league status" the way he's going. But he has to play in more games though. Which he is doing this season.

Also you believed it was "laughable" to compare him to Akeem 3-4 years ago. Might be time to say that I was "right" about that one as well.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:26 am 

I don't think he is ready to be compared to "Akeem", but definitely great.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:33 am 

RFDC wrote:
I don't think he is ready to be compared to "Akeem", but definitely great.

Gamewise he is. He is one of the most talented players that I have ever seen play the game. There is nothing he can't do offensively and he is damn good defensively as well.

And as great as Akeem was he wasn't the player at age 26-27 that Embiid is.

The only thing that will prevent Embiid from going down as one of the All Time top 5-10 Centers in league history will be injury.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:40 am 

At age 27 Akeem averaged 24 pts, a league leading 14 rebs, and a league leading 4.6 blocks per game

Thats quite the player and he did it while playing in every game that season.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:40 am 

I think last week Embiid was +3000 to be MVP and he’s gone to +240. The latter is what seems right but the former is because of his injury history.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:44 am 

RFDC wrote:
At age 27 Akeem averaged 24 pts, a league leading 14 rebs, and a league leading 4.6 blocks per game

He also played 38 minutes per game as well. What do you think Embiid's Numbers look like if he played 38 minutes per game? I think currently he is avg 31-32 minutes per game.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:

He also played 38 minutes per game as well. What do you think Embiid's Numbers look like if he played 38 minutes per game? I think currently he is avg 31-32 minutes per game.

you're trying to brush aside a big factor in evaluating these players. There's a reason Embiid doesn't play as many games or as many minutes as Hakeem. He physically can't handle it. So you can't point to Embiid's less games played and less minutes played and say what if he played more because as we all know by now, he can't play more. His body can't handle it.

Part of what makes Hakeem a clearly better player is that he could put up those gaudy stats without rest days and without having his minutes monitored by a team of nerds on laptops in a luxury box.

You ask what would happen if Embiid played more minutes and more games? I think the answer is obvious. His body would break down and his production would go down as a result.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:14 am 

shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:

you're trying to brush aside a big factor in evaluating these players. There's a reason Embiid doesn't play as many games or as many minutes as Hakeem. He physically can't handle it. So you can't point to Embiid's less games played and less minutes played and say what if he played more because as we all know by now, he can't play more. His body can't handle it.

Part of what makes Hakeem a clearly better player is that he could put up those gaudy stats without rest days and without having his minutes monitored by a team of nerds on laptops in a luxury box.

You ask what would happen if Embiid played more minutes and more games? I think the answer is obvious. His body would break down and his production would go down as a result.

Even at 31 minutes per game Embiid is avg 29 and 11 pregame with 5 assists. That ain't chop liver.

And even he isn't a "better player at the same stage" (debatable) he is at the very least "comparable".

And my original point is that he is "the closest thing to Olajuwon" since Olajuwon.

If he isn't then who is?

And by the way Embiid's Per 36 stats dwarf Olajuwon's offensively and no "increased minutes" isn't the only way to evaluate who the better player happens to be.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Even at 31 minutes per game Embiid is avg 29 and 11 pregame with 5 assists. That ain't chop liver.

And even he isn't a "better player at the same stage" (debatable) he is at the very least "comparable".

And my original point is that he is "the closest thing to Olajuwon" since Olajuwon.

If he isn't then who is?

And by the way Embiid's Per 36 stats dwarf Olajuwon's offensively and no "increased minutes" isn't the only way to evaluate who the better player happens to be.

I agree with all that (except the per 36 stats since those are useless). He is definitely the closest thing to Hakeem since Hakeem. But, I'm not going to give Embiid any credit for playing less games and less minutes than Hakeem. I hold that against Embiid. And I refuse to listen to hypotheticals about what if Embiid played more because as we know by now that's bullshit when talking about Embiid.

But I agree that he's awesome. Just not in Hakeem's class and IMO will never be there and a big part of that is because Embiid's body can't handle what Hakeem went through.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:23 am 

shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
shakes wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
RFDC wrote:

If he isn't then who is?

I agree with all that (except the per 36 stats since those are useless). He is definitely the closest thing to Hakeem since Hakeem. But, I'm not going to give Embiid any credit for playing less games and less minutes than Hakeem. I hold that against Embiid. And I refuse to listen to hypotheticals about what if Embiid played more because as we know by now that's bullshit when talking about Embiid.

But I agree that he's awesome. Just not in Hakeem's class and IMO will never be there and a big part of that is because Embiid's body can't handle what Hakeem went through.

Nah that's a convenient copout. Guys get injured playing sports. If Embiid wins a few MVPs that places him right there with Akeem as a player. Injuries haven't prevented him from playing at an elite level as a player. That is what really matters. He is the most talented big (probably overall player) in the game right now. Whether he has been injured in the past or not this is still the case.

Last year he was #2 in MVP voting. This year he is on his way to winning it. The comp at this point is accurate.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:29 am 

Check that. Akeem only has 1 NBA MVP award. Which he won at about 32 or 33 years of age. If Embiid wins one this year that further validates the comp.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:45 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Yeah I had Joker as a clear #2 whereas now he's more like a 1A. I was WRONG about him being a "decided #2"

However if Embiid had played more 10-15 more games last season he likely would be headed towards back to back MVPs.

He is trending heavily towards "best player in the league status" the way he's going. But he has to play in more games though. Which he is doing this season.

Also you believed it was "laughable" to compare him to Akeem 3-4 years ago. Might be time to say that I was "right" about that one as well.

Laughable may be too strong but Akeem is one of the 10 best players to ever play. I'm not putting Embiid or Joker there yet

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:53 am 

FavreFan wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

Laughable may be too strong but Akeem is one of the 10 best players to ever play. I'm not putting Embiid or Joker there yet

But you are talking about careers and career numbers while I'm talking about pure individual talent and player that he is currently. As a talent Embiid is right there with Olajuwon. As far as careers go there is time for all that in about 8-10 years. He is unquestionably every bit the talent that Olajuwon was. Which was my point. In some areas (shotblocking/rebounding) Akeem was better. Particularly as a shotblocker. In terms of offense Embiid is better. It won't take ten years in order to see that. As far as career goes his overall numbers might not compare as favorably because of the injuries. But if you take the best 5-7 years of Embiid and compare them to the 5-7 best of Olajuwon he will be right there with him however.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:24 pm 

I'm not talking about numbers, I haven't mentioned them at all. I believe you underestimate how good Akeem was.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:35 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
I'm not talking about numbers, I haven't mentioned them at all. I believe you underestimate how good Akeem was.

Nah I'm an Olajuwon guy through and through. I think that MANY here continue to underestimate just how good Embiid happens to be. They did it when he first entered the league and they continue to do it even now. Barring injury he will go down as one of the best bigs to ever play the game. And that list includes Olajuwon.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:40 pm 

I literally bumped this thread to say Embiid is fucking awesome. :lol:

In general I don't compare guys to top 10 players of all time until they've earned the accolades. Let Embiid get his mvp and get a ring and then he can move into that type of conversation.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:44 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

In general I don't compare guys to top 10 players of all time until they've earned the accolades. Let Embiid get his mvp and get a ring and then he can move into that type of conversation.

For me it will be too late then. I will have moved on by then. I don't like Monday Morning Quarterbacking styled arguments. They are boring. Anyone can state the obvious. Sort of like your "Embiid Is Fucking Awesome Yo" shit currently. :lol: :lol:
I prefer to get ahead of the train on stuff like this.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Last edited by The Missing Link on Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:46 pm 

The Missing Link wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

For me it will be too late then. I don't like Monday Morning Quarterbacking styled arguments. They are boring. Anyone can state the obvious. Sort of like your "Embiid Is Fucking Awesome Yo" shit currently. :lol: :lol:

Me too. That's why I said Jokic was the best center in the league before anybody and then he went out and proved me right.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:50 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

For me it will be too late then. I don't like Monday Morning Quarterbacking styled arguments. They are boring. Anyone can state the obvious. Sort of like your "Embiid Is Fucking Awesome Yo" shit currently. :lol: :lol:

Me too. That's why I said Jokic was the best center in the league before anybody and then he went out and proved me right.

Opinions Vary. Ironically there was a roundtable discussion on this just last week and to a person everyone chose Embiid. Whenever it comes up Most people have chosen Embiid whenever I have bothered to pay attention. Even Jokic's MVP has a bit of an asterisk due to Embiid missing so many games last season.
I will definitely go with 1A for the Joker right now. He is a helluva player. Just not as good as Embiid. :lol: :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:57 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Nas wrote:
He moves like an older Sabonis. He is an excellent passer and a plus ball handler. A guy barely averaging 18 points when he has a match up advantage nearly every night isn't a great offensive player. You overrate what he is now.

A center who shoots 50/39/85 and averages 18-10-6 is a great offensive player. And he's only 23 and getting better. I have him rated just about right.

You don't have him.rated right if you think he is better than Embiid. Embiid avg. 23 and 11 and is in a different stratosphere than him defensively. Embiid is dominant defensively.

Jokic is the worst defending starting Center in the league. If not the worst then in the conversation for worst.

Hey FF this is where the Real separation between the Joker and Embiid starts to happen. There is no comparison. Though I'm sure in your opinion Jokic is still "improving" on that end of the floor.

Quote:
NBA announces 2020-21 All-Defensive First and Second teams
Kia Defensive Player of the Year Rudy Gobert and 76ers guard Ben Simmons dominate the voting as unanimous selections.
Official release
June 14, 2021 6:09 PM
NEW YORK – Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert, the 2020-21 Kia NBA Defensive Player of the Year, and Philadelphia 76ers guard Ben Simmons lead the 2020-21 NBA All-Defensive First Team, the NBA announced today. Both players received NBA All-Defensive First Team votes on all 100 ballots to finish with 200 points each.

Joining Gobert and Simmons on the NBA All-Defensive First Team are Golden State Warriors forward Draymond Green (176 points; 80 First Team votes) and Milwaukee Bucks guard Jrue Holiday (157 points; 65 First Team votes) and forward Giannis Antetokounmpo (135 points; 43 first Team votes).

Gobert, the Kia NBA Defensive Player of the Year for the third time in the last four seasons, has been named to the NBA All-Defensive First Team for the fifth season in a row. This marks the second straight First Team selection for Simmons, the runner-up for Kia NBA Defensive Player of the Year this season. Simmons helped the 76ers finish with the NBA’s second-best defensive rating in the regular season, one spot ahead of the Gobert-led Jazz.

Green has been selected to the NBA All-Defensive First Team for the fourth time to go with two Second Team honors. Holiday is a First Team honoree for the second time. Antetokounmpo, the 2019-20 Kia NBA Defensive Player of the Year and a two-time Kia NBA Most Valuable Player, has earned his third consecutive NBA All-Defensive First Team selection.

The 2020-21 NBA All-Defensive Second Team
consists of Miami Heat forward Bam Adebayo (111 points) and guard Jimmy Butler (111), 76ers center Joel Embiid (87) and guard Matisse Thybulle (63), and LA Clippers forward Kawhi Leonard (43).

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:02 pm 

Embiid and the Joker currently on ESPN

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:43 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Good game from Embiid (34/9/4 +2). Embiid and Sixers starters outplayed Jokic (22/13/8 -9) and the Nuggets starters. Denver's bench mob(+66!!!)--Bones doing his bestest Vinnie Johnson impersonation--outplayed the Sixers bench (-43). Sixers miss Seth Curry.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:16 pm 

Embiid is thoroughly dominating the Joker today

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:40 am 

I just wish he could carry this into the post season. Instead of getting hurt like he always does.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: What??
W_Z wrote:
I just wish he could carry this into the post season. Instead of getting hurt like he always does.

He's hyper aware he needs to stay healthy. He's talked about it. He confronts it, unlike a certain load managed Clipper.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:56 pm 

No doubt!
Quote:
Dustin Dopirak
·
Mar 18
@DustinDopirak
Carlisle: "Embiid, right now, he's probably the MVP with what their team is doing and how he's elevated his game. He's as difficult a guy to game plan for as there is in the game. Giannis is crazy ridiculous. Jokic is, same, and this guy may be even more difficult."

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
The statistics that point to Joker being better than Embiid are racist.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:38 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
The statistics that point to Joker being better than Embiid are racist.

No Doubt! CFMB. Your home for racism apologists and deniers!

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 588 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next