It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
great coaching can't overcome lack of roster talent. but piss-poor incompetent coaching can spike a talent-filled roster (see Brooklyn Nets the Steve Nash years). Ime was probably sitting over on the Celtics bench looking at the Nets roster Nash was fucking up thinking give me that Nets roster and I'd sweep this same Celtics team that swept the Nets.

College game it's almost always the same names taking teams to the Final Four. And Calipari has had roster after roster of 1st rounders (some riding the bench even) and he hasn't sniffed the Final Four in almost a decade. Or Penny Hardaway at Memphis that first year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Ricobene's
Hussra wrote:
great coaching can't overcome lack of roster talent. but piss-poor incompetent coaching can spike a talent-filled roster (see Brooklyn Nets the Steve Nash years). Ime was probably sitting over on the Celtics bench looking at the Nets roster Nash was fucking up thinking give me that Nets roster and I'd sweep this same Celtics team that swept the Nets.

College game it's almost always the same names taking teams to the Final Four. And Calipari has had roster after roster of 1st rounders (some riding the bench even) and he hasn't sniffed the Final Four in almost a decade. Or Penny Hardaway at Memphis that first year.

The recent editions of Calipari's "talent laden" teams also have not been particularly talented though. Not in the "traditional" sense anyway. When he was rolling with his "one and done" game, he was pumping out No.1 overalls and 3-4 guys inside out of the top ten, 5-6 in the first round. He isn't pumping out that type of talent now. Which makes him extremely beatable. The best player on his team this year likely won't even sniff the NBA.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
This is just more evidence LTG is too simplistic about "talent". No one doubts Tyrus Thomas is more talented than Ben Wallace. The difference is Wallace had strong work ethic and determination while Thomas just wanted to collect checks. That elevates Wallace above Thomas even tho Thomas was more talented. Because LTG is a simplistic thinker he'd draft Thomas over Wallace when both were in their primes and everything remained the same. Bad evaluator.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:37 pm 

The Doctor Of Style wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
A good coach is the difference between a moderately talented team being competitive night in and night out and that same team winning 15 games. In other words, if you put a good coach on a sucky team then you get a chance at the 7th or 8th seed. And if you put a bad coach on a moderately talented team then you give up 100 points in a half and don't know what "defensive scheme" means.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Bump!

Shouldn't a "great coach" be able to prevent 17 straight losses?

Quote:
When the San Antonio Spurs drafted Victor Wembanyama with the first pick in the 2023 NBA Draft this past summer, spirits were high. The team just landed a bonafide superstar and set themselves up for years of success. And at the start of the season, a 3-2 start had fans excited.

Unfortunately, things have gone downhill since then. San Antonio has now lost 17 games in a row, the second-worst losing streak in the NBA behind the Detroit Pistons’ 20-game streak. On Monday night, they dropped their game against the Houston Rockets by a score of 93-82, and their offense completely let them down.

After the game, head coach Gregg Popovich was empathetic, expressing how badly he feels that his team just can’t hit a shot right now.

“I just feel badly — it’s hard to know what to do when you’re missing that many shots,” Popovich said via ESPN. “It just makes it very, very difficult. But they’re growing in all kinds of ways and I just wish they could catch a break that way as far as making some shots.”

Even Keyshawn Johnson would have been able to prevent that

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:05 pm 

When a coach loses 17 straight, I'm sure that there is plenty of "accountability" to go around.

Last edited by The Doctor Of Style on Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:17 pm 

Greg(g) Popovich to Tim Duncan as Bill Belichick to Tom Brady?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:19 pm 

Hussra wrote:
Seemingly he is. And I think both are great coaches but you need talent in order to win.

Gregg Popovich has become very pedestrian as a coach since the talent departed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Hussra wrote:

NBA is a different league from those days. It changed when GS won its 1st.

Turns out Steph is a curse to the league, not an asset. Think about it. He begot Trae Young and his ilk.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
No team with a 19 year old as its best player is winning anything. The San Antonio performance is expected. Wake me up when wembo is 21 and the rest of the roster is filled out.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:37 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
No team with a 19 year old as its best player is winning anything. The San Antonio performance is expected. Wake me up when wembo is 21 and the rest of the roster is filled out.

"Great" coaching is supposed to prevent 17 consecutive losses. They've had terrible coaches and never had that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:44 pm 

I think you gotta give Pop the benefit of the doubt in how he's handling Wembanyama. assume popovich was trying to do something other than lose a bunch of games by playing Wemby out of position at the 4 without a true PG. Maybe turn him into a Jokic type player? I dunno. But yeah, San Antonio wasn't winning anything this season so might as well fuck around and find out.