It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
IMU wrote:
pittmike wrote:
It is kind of funny a lot of sports discussion has a player top five or loser that sucks. Leaves out a lot of greatness or even just damn good.

If you have a GOOD team, you don't want Carmelo on your team. He detracts.

Look at Oklahoma City and Houston. It is simple. This isn't just fans that take this stance. NBA franchises, with the sole goal if winning a championship, have jettisoned Carmelo. If he was good, or even in the spectrum of great, you'd think they could have kept him around?

My post is not limited to Anthony. That said regardless of how it ended he was at minimum damn good.

pittmike wrote:
It is kind of funny a lot of sports discussion has a player top five or loser that sucks. Leaves out a lot of greatness or even just damn good.

I honestly think the advent of sportstalk radio and ESPN has changed the way great players are evaluated. Got to Win Championships or you are a bum. I have never believed that. Great players are great players. They should be expected to make teams better but they should not be expected to win championships in order to validate their greatness.

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
pittmike wrote:
IMU wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Look at Oklahoma City and Houston. It is simple. This isn't just fans that take this stance. NBA franchises, with the sole goal if winning a championship, have jettisoned Carmelo. If he was good, or even in the spectrum of great, you'd think they could have kept him around?

My post is not limited to Anthony. That said regardless of how it ended he was at minimum damn good.

He was a really good scoring option in a previous version of the NBA. I don't dispute that.

Luol Deng was too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:30 pm 

IMU wrote:
pittmike wrote:

He is in his 15th season. To evaluate him without taking that into account is silly..

He probably still comports himself as if he is great and they don't wish to deal with it.

I just provided the facts. Denver hasn't been to playoffs in any of the years following his departure.

This after making it 9 seasons in a row. Carmelo Anthony leaving undoubtedly had a lot to do with that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
long time guy wrote:
I just provided the facts. Denver hasn't been to playoffs in any of the years following his departure.

Where do you get your facts?

February 21, 2011 - Carmelo traded from Nuggets to Knicks

2012 Playoffs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NBA_Playoffs

2013 Playoffs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NBA_Playoffs

They were a fucking 3 seed in the 2013 playoffs for chrissake.

Ty Lawson, Danilo Gallinari and Wilson Chandler were that team's 3 highest scorers and they won 57 games. CARMELO NEVER WON MORE THAN 54 GAMES WITH THE NUGGETS. He never won more than 54 games with any team.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:42 pm 

IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Where do you get your facts?

February 21, 2011 - Carmelo traded from Nuggets to Knicks

2012 Playoffs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NBA_Playoffs

2013 Playoffs: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_NBA_Playoffs

They were a fucking 3 seed in the 2013 playoffs for chrissake.

Ty Lawson, Danilo Gallinari and Wilson Chandler were that team's 3 highest scorers and they won 57 games. CARMELO NEVER WON MORE THAN 54 GAMES WITH THE NUGGETS. He never won more than 54 games with any team.

Got it wrong. I thought he was traded in year they won 57 games. They won 60% of their games 4 years running before he was traded. Jimmy Butler who you just love has never been the best player on any team that won 60% of its games.

How do you explain the Knicks not doing shit for 25 years regular season wise?

His first year in the league his team improved by 26 games.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:43 pm 

long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I honestly think the advent of sportstalk radio and ESPN has changed the way great players are evaluated. Got to Win Championships or you are a bum. I have never believed that. Great players are great players. They should be expected to make teams better but they should not be expected to win championships in order to validate their greatness.

Carmelo was irrelevant as a player for virtually his whole career. You don't have to win titles to be a great player but you also have to matter as a player.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:45 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Carmelo was irrelevant as a player for virtually his whole career. You don't have to win titles to be a great player but you also have to matter as a player.

What made him irrelevant?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:51 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

There are a lot of ways to put it but I think the most glaring and obvious example is the total number of playoff series he won as a player.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:55 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

There are a lot of ways to put it but I think the most glaring and obvious example is the total number of playoff series he won as a player.

The one year that he actually had a viable No. 2 he got to the Western Conf finals and gave a great Lakers team a real scare.

When he really good to great he didn't have great teammates.

Those Denver teams weren't that talented.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:59 pm 

long time guy wrote:
The one year that he actually had a viable No. 2 he got to the Western Conf finals and gave a great Lakers team a real scare.

You asked what made him irrelevant. If my quick count is accurate, he has 3 total series wins as a player in a career that has spanned 16 years. None of the excuses matter as to how when we are talking about something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:12 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

You asked what made him irrelevant. If my quick count is accurate, he has 3 total series wins as a player in a career that has spanned 16 years. None of the excuses matter as to how when we are talking about something like that.

Making the playoffs 9 years (first 9) with a team that had been shitty for the 7 or 8 years prior means something.

The fact remains that when he was good teams got better. Much better in fact.

If you think it was easy then look at Kobe's record when he didn't have Hall of Fame talent around him.

It wasn't easy to make the playoffs in that conference during that pd.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:35 pm 

You asked why he was irrelevant. I gave you the reason was that his teams have 3 series wins in a 16 year career. He might as well have not existed as an NBA player in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:39 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You asked why he was irrelevant. I gave you the reason was that his teams have 3 series wins in a 16 year career. He might as well have not existed as an NBA player in the playoffs.

Well he did take a team to the Western Conf finals one year. That counts for something.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:42 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Well he did take a team to the Western Conf finals one year. That counts for something.

It counts for 2/3rds of his total series wins.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:48 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It counts for 2/3rds of his total series wins.

Ok then so it is. If playoff success is the only argument that keeps guys from being considered great then there are a lot of guys that fail the smell test. Particularly such when you factor in whom and what they have surrounding them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:49 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Ok then so it is. If playoff success is the only argument that keeps guys from being considered great then there are a lot of guys that would fail the smell test. Particularly when you factor in whom and what they have surrounding them.
Sure, who are these guys that have a similar amount of series wins?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:56 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ok then so it is. If playoff success is the only argument that keeps guys from being considered great then there are a lot of guys that would fail the smell test. Particularly when you factor in whom and what they have surrounding them.

Kevin Garnett prior to Boston. Ray Allen Prior to Boston. Paul Pierce prior to Garnett and the arrival of Allen.

All of them benefitted from playing in the "Weak East" by the way.

Anthony Davis currently has one series win after 6 years in the league.

McGrady never won much. Grant Hill either. Vince Carter have a lot of wins?

Last edited by long time guy on Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Kevin Garnett prior to Boston. Ray Allen Prior to Boston. Paul Pierce prior to Garnett and the arrival of Allen.

McGrady never won much. Grant Hill either. Vince Carter ever been far in the playoffs?

Boogie Cousins

I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Regular Reader wrote:
IMU wrote:

Alex English pretty much nails it. The rest, not so much. AC Green & Rodman are even flat out silly to have been included.

Completely agree with you. He was Benard King lite to me so Alex English is a good comparison.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:55 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

It is telling you had to take so many players halfway through their careers.

Grant Hill had an injury plagued career but yeah he was fairly irrelevant in the NBA. McGrady and Carmelo are similar.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:19 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Grant Hill had an injury plagued career but yeah he was fairly irrelevant in the NBA. McGrady and Carmelo are similar.

And McGrady's record makes it all the more maddening to hear Mr. Me First chiming in on anything NBA related, especially here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:07 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Anthony Davis is the only one. I used the other guys to illustrate how stupid it is to expect guys to win when they don't have complimentary players around them.

There is nothing "telling" about that.

To me its an accomplishment to take crappy teams like the Nuggets and the Knicks to the playoffs as he did.

Neither Garnett Alllen or Pierce were "halfway through their careers" either. They didn't do much til they got better players around them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:42 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Anthony Davis is the only one. I used the other guys to illustrate how stupid it is to expect guys to win when they don't have complimentary players around them.

To me its an accomplishment to take crappy teams like the Nuggets and the Knicks to the playoffs as he did.

Neither Garnett Alllen or Pierce were "halfway through their careers" either. They didn't do much til they got better players around them.

You are just blatantly ignoring the point now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:47 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

You are just blatantly ignoring the point now.

Ok point being his teams didn't make noise in the playoffs. So have a lot of players unless they were playing with other great players. You're ignoring the point also.

His teams were irrelevant in the playoffs. Doesn't make him an irrelevant basketball player. They tend not to make the Hall of Fame in case you haven't noticed.

You asked for names and I provided names.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:31 am 

You provided two names that didn't have major qualifiers. Both of them were pretty irrelevant too.

That's the ultimate point. Comparing McGrady to Carmelo isn't helping you. Comparing Hill to Carmelo with his injury issues isn't helping you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:41 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You provided two names that didn't have major qualifiers. Both of them were pretty irrelevant too.

That's the ultimate point. Comparing McGrady to Carmelo isn't helping you. Comparing Hill to Carmelo with his injury issues isn't helping you.

Now you're making excuses. If Kevin Garnett only makes it out the first round once in 13 seasons how does that support what I'm saying? You asked for names and I gave it to you.

Lets focus solely on Garnett..He couldn't get out of the first round til he hooked up with other 2 Hall of Famers.

How is situation different or better than Anthony's?explain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:53 am 

long time guy wrote:
Now you're making excuses. If Kevin Garnett only makes it out the first round once in 13 seasons how does that support what I'm saying? You asked for names and I gave it to you.

Lets focus solely on Garnett..He couldn't get out of the first round til he hooked up with other 2 Hall of Famers.

If Garnett had retired after those 13 seasons then it would be relevant. He didn't. So, we look at the whole career of each player and judge it accordingly rather than some convenient cutoff point that even when you do that they are still similar.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:59 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
long time guy wrote:

If Garnett had retired after those 13 seasons then it would be relevant. He didn't. So, we look at the whole career of each player and judge it accordingly rather than some convenient cutoff point that even when you do that they are still similar.

Ok so we can agree that like Garnett Melo would have had more playoff success had he played with better players.

When Garnett failed to have success it still didn't make him "irrelevant". Irrelevant would be not making the playoffs at all.

Guy was the best player on 5 teams that won at least 60% of its games. Hardly irrelevant

Last edited by long time guy on Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Melo sucks.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next