It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:12 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:11 pm 

This sort of stupidity requires what we in the game like to refer to simply as a "deeper dive".
:lol: :lol:
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
How the fuck did Dirk Change the game?

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Ever heard of the term "stretch four" dumbass? Did you ever hear of that term before Dirk?

Calling me a dumbass strengthens and have you ever heard of him?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:16 pm 

McAdoo shot 8% for his career from yet Walt aka "Willy Nilly" still thinks that he was the originator of the stretch 4 position.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Is someone goiong to meet someone in Temecula?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
long time guy wrote:
McAdoo shot 8% for his career from yet Walt aka "Willy Nilly" still thinks that he was the originator of the stretch 4 position.

:lol: Really? They didn't even have a 3 point shot for most of his career. The stat you're citing is based on 8 shots. Could you possibly be more disingenuous (without discussing politics)? Walt is right. You are wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:14 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

:lol: Really? They didn't even have a 3 point shot for most of his career. The stat you're citing is based on 8 shots. Could you possibly be more disingenuous (without discussing politics)? Walt is right. You are wrong.

So we know that he was a "Stretch Four' based on the eyetest of you and Walt? For the record the 3 point shot was in during the last 7-8 years of his career. In one of those years he avg 17 shots per game and less than 1 was a 3 pointer.

Sorry but I trust my eyetest a whole lot more. I actually did see McAdoo play and he was nothing more than a mid range jump shooter. The stats back that up. Walt is being so "disingenuous" that he is even attempting to redefine the position to mean guys that don't shoot 3's.

Conduct a tad bit more research (it ain't hard) then get back at me. Until then both you and that rambling buffoon are wrong.

You can buy his bullshit if you like. I'm not. He doesn't know a damn thing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:16 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

So we know that he was a "Stretch Four' based on the eyetest of you and Walt? For the record the 3 point shot was in during the last 7-8 years of his career. In one of those years he avg 17 shots per game and less than 1 was a 3 pointer.

Sorry but I trust my eyetest a whole lot more. I actually did see McAdoo play and he was nothing more than a mid range jump shooter. The stats back that up. Walt is being so "disingenuous" that he is even attempting to redefine the position to mean guys that don't shoot 3's.

Conduct a tad bit more research (it ain't hard) then get back at me. Until then both you and that rambling buffoon are wrong.

There weren't threes for him to shoot. The entire game was played closer to the basket.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:21 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

There weren't threes for him to shoot. The entire game was played closer to the basket.

Then how could he be considered a stretch 4?

For the record Bob McAdoo played half of his career with the 3 point shot being part of the game. He was 28 when it was instituted. In 4 of the seasons after it was implemented he avg double digit shot attempts. In some of the years that he attempted double digits in shots he didn't bother to attempt a 3 point shot.

If you want to hitch your wagon to that idiot by all means feel free. Don't let this be the hill that you wish to die upon however. As asinine as your political arguments are this one is even worse.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:22 pm 

How did McAdoo somehow become more than a mid range shooter?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:26 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

Eyetest Walt AKA "Willy Nilly" said he was. No other evidence suggests that he was.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
50 pages...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:30 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
50 pages...

Good as it will serve as adequate filler for Dan Bernstein's "Basketball for Dummies" handbook that Willy Nilly and a few others are currently reading. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:31 pm 
Site Admin

Regular Reader wrote:

Nobody said he was. What kind of idiot would shoot from halfcourt when the basket is worth the same as from 15 feet? The point remains, there weren't guys his size shooting from where he did in the time he did it. Walt is correct.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:32 pm 

You would think a student of the game like ltg would understand that the 3 point shot was a pretty terrible shot to take on a percentage basis when Bob McAdoo played. League averages were like 24 to 28%.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Nobody said he was. What kind of idiot would shoot from halfcourt when the basket is worth the same as from 15 feet? The point remains, there weren't guys his size shooting from where he did in the time he did it. Walt is correct.

That seems to be the disconnect here. The bolded part isn't the definition of a stretch four. A stretch four is a PF who stands near the 3 point line to not only provide a 3 point threat but also to provide the needed spacing the modern day game requires. A PF who plays 15 feet from the basket is not a stretch four by any definition.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:34 pm 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

For the record Bob McAdoo played half of his career with the 3 point shot being part of the game. He was 28 when it was instituted. In 4 of the seasons after it was implemented he avg double digit shot attempts. In some of the years that he attempted double digits in shots he didn't bother to attempt a 3 point shot.

If you want to hitch your wagon to that idiot by all means feel free. Don't let this be the hill that you wish to die upon however. As asinine as your political arguments are this one is even worse.

You mean when he was Kareem's backup and playing the post? It's funny when you're losing an argument and you don't even know it. Walt is correct.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:37 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

So he was a "stretch 4" that refused to be a stretch 4 because guys took shots that were closer to the rim in those days. If that is the case then how was he considered a stretch 4?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:40 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
:lol: :lol: :lol: Of course LTG is right about this. So much blind rage prevents people from seeing it. Someone standing 16 feet from the basket isn't stretching anything.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:40 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:

You mean when he was Kareem's backup and playing the post? It's funny when you're losing an argument and you don't even know it. Walt is correct.

You don't even know what a "stretch 4" happens to be yet you somehow know that I'm "losing". Confirmation bias perhaps? I just provided the numbers and he didn't always play with Kareem while the 3 point shot was in either.

A stretch four is a power forward that shoots and makes 3 point shots. If you are a power forward and do not shoot and make 3's then you aren't a stretch 4.

Neither one of you know what you are talking about.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:41 pm 

Nas wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Of course LTG is right about this. So much blind rage prevents people from seeing it. Someone standing 16 feet from the basket isn't stretching anything.
Were Pete Maravich and Rick Mount elite outside shooters?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:42 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You would think a student of the game like ltg would understand that the 3 point shot was a pretty terrible shot to take on a percentage basis when Bob McAdoo played. League averages were like 24 to 28%.

And his career avg was a rather robust 8%. Kareem's career avg was 6%. Was he also a stretch 5?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:44 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:

Is a stretch four a PF who stands 15 feet away from the rim?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

It's 8 shots, you goof. Walt is correct.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:

In that era there were very few guys his size who didn't play with their back to the basket. I have no interest in getting into the semantics of what "stretch-4" means. It wasn't a term that was used in McAdoo's time. But what Walt is saying is correct. The only rage is coming from LTG who is mindlessly insulting him over something he doesn't understand.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:50 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:

In that era there were very few guys his size who didn't play with their back to the basket. I have no interest in getting into the semantics of what "stretch-4" means. It wasn't a term that was used in McAdoo's time. But what Walt is saying is correct. The only rage is coming from LTG who is mindlessly insulting him over something he doesn't understand.

If Walt is calling McAdoo a stretch four then he is decidedly incorrect. You may have no interest in getting into the semantics of it, but the semantics of what a stretch four is is precisely what the thread is about :lol:

A stretch four provides a 3 point threat and adequate spacing for a guard to penetrate to the rim. That is his role in the offense. That role does not describe Bob McAdoo in any season he played. Because the position did not exist at the time is a pretty poor reason for saying Walt is correct in this case.

Some folks just think ltg is wrong about everything. He isn't always.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:53 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:

Not today. The line literally not being there makes a difference though. The 3 point shot being a bad shot nearly league wide also changes it.

To me, the idea of a stretch 4 is that they have outside skills that bring their defender away from the basket. That would mean a 3 point shooter now based on how the NBA is played but before the concept of a 3 point line existed there could still technically be a stretch 4.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:54 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:

If Walt is calling McAdoo a stretch four then he is decidedly incorrect. You may have no interest in getting into the semantics of it, but the semantics of what a stretch four is is precisely what the thread is about :lol:

A stretch four provides a 3 point threat and adequate spacing for a guard to penetrate to the rim. That is his role in the offense. That role does not describe Bob McAdoo in any season he played. Because the position did not exist at the time is a pretty poor reason for saying Walt is correct in this case.

That's your definition. I think it's reasonable to consider a "stretch-4" simply a big man who "stretches" the floor, which McAdoo unquestionably did. Walt is correct. And LTG is wrong here. In fact, it seems like he's just rageposting as usual, this time Walt happens to be the target.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:

Not today. The line literally not being there makes a difference though. The 3 point shot being a bad shot nearly league wide also changes it.

To me, the idea of a stretch 4 is that they have outside skills that bring their defender away from the basket. That would mean a 3 point shooter now based on how the NBA is played but before the concept of a 3 point line existed there could still technically be a stretch 4.

Correct.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:57 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:

That's your definition. I think it's reasonable to consider a "stretch-4" simply a big man who "stretches" the floor, which McAdoo unquestionably did. Walt is correct. And LTG is wrong here. In fact, it seems like he's just rageposting as usual, this time Walt happens to be the target.

It's not my definition, it's THE definition. If you are 15 feet away from the basket you are not stretching the court, and you weren't stretching the court playing 15 feet away from the rim in 1975.

Walt isn't correct by any measure if he said Bob McAdoo was the first stretch four. He simply was not.

To rock my soul