It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:42 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Up until Duncan Barkley was the best PF that I'd ever seen.

This is an interesting take. Nearly everyone gave the nod to Malone.

Yeah you probably would get more people that preferred Malone. At their best and particularly early on I'd have taken Barkley in a heartbeat. I was never particularly high on Malone. Barkley was much more skilled as a player than Malone.

I'd have gone Barkley 1, McHale 2 and Malone 3.

But I never really cared for Malone, Stockton or anything to do with Utah.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Yeah you probably would get more people that preferred Malone. At their best and particularly early on I'd have taken Barkley in a heartbeat. I was never particularly high on Malone. Barkley was much more skilled as a player than Malone.

Always respected Stockton. No athletic chops whatsoever yet he played solid d and by the time the game was over you look up and see 13-17 on the scoreboard with 10 assists. Like clockwork.

My problem with Barkley is the same as it is with O'neal - they could have even been better/more accomplished with better work ethic. Shaq put in some work during the early years in LA but then got complacement. Barkley has never had a toned body. That's what separates guys like Kobe and MJ from the rest - insane devotion to craft.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:58 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I never cared for Malone either. He wasn't as skilled as Barkley and nowhere near the competitor either. I prefer McHale also.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:06 pm 

I respected that Stockton answered the bell every night, but I hated his flat game and will never respect his assist totals. His lack of scoring killed his team every playoffs and his steals numbers covered up his average at best on ball defense.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:12 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
I respected that Stockton answered the bell every night, but I hated his flat game and will never respect his assist totals. His lack of scoring killed his team every playoffs and his steals numbers covered up his average at best on ball defense.

GP loved him - that's a good enough endorsement for me. I'd take GP over Kidd. That guy led the Sonics in scoring and assists once Kemp left. Do you know how bad your team is if the best passing play is to pass it to yourself? Pretty bad. Glove Forever

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:24 pm 

Stockton was one of the most overrated players in basketball history.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:25 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

GP loved him - that's a good enough endorsement for me. I'd take GP over Kidd. That guy led the Sonics in scoring and assists once Kemp left. Do you know how bad your team is if the best passing play is to pass it to yourself? Pretty bad. Glove Forever

Yeah you've got to be damn good in order to accomplish that. That's a helluva take there

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:29 pm 

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Yeah you've got to be damn good in order to accomplish that. That's a helluva take there

Hey man, you've got some of the most dim witted takes here in this section. If you don't like a post then you can simply move on with your day. So next time you feel like being sarcastic you can take that and shove it up your crusty has-been ass.

2013 CSFMB ROY

Last edited by veganfan21 on Tue May 05, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:31 pm 

long time guy wrote:

Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:32 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Hey man, you've got some of the most dim witted takes here in this section. If you don't like a post then you can simply move on with your day. So next time you feel like bring sarcastic you can take that and shove it up your crusty has-been ass.

Nah. The trolling isn't all that witty or funny. As far as dimwitted all you have to do is pay attention dumbass. The only person you are amusing is yourself apparently.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I don't think most people preferred Malone to Barkley. Dopes maybe.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:39 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:

Most of the lists I have ever seen have Malone ahead of Barkley.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:42 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Which has always mystified me as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:47 pm 

I guess dopes like to make lists. probably based on cumulative stats. Malone played forever.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:47 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Which has always mystified me as well.

I think like Stockton Malone probably gets the nod based on longevity. He put up numbers but I think a lot of that was due to playing in an offense when every single play in the halfcourt was run through him seemingly.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:55 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
I guess dopes like to make lists. probably based on cumulative stats. Malone played forever.

You've hit the nail on the head. For Stockton as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:09 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

I am not a big Stockton fan. But how did his lack of scoring kill his team in the playoffs? He averaged 13 pts and 10 assists in both the playoffs and in the regular season for his career.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:14 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I am not a big Stockton fan. But how did his lack of scoring kill his team in the playoffs? He averaged 13 pts and 10 assists in both the playoffs and in the regular season for his career.

Don't want to speak for Reader but teams didn't even guard him in the playoffs. They hedged off of him daring him to score. When the West was really good Utah was bounced in the First Round with a great deal of frequency. His lack of scoring was always part of the problem.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:15 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Teams were wary of his shot, except that he rarely took it and never gave himself a chance to get a rhythm. And let his opponent wander away from him.

Those teams were then left with only two plays.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:20 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Teams were wary of his shot, except that he rarely took it and never gave himself a chance to get a rhythm. And let his opponent wander away from him.

How much would he have needed to average for things to be better? He was never going to be the first option on that team.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:43 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

How much would he have needed to average for things to be better? He was never going to be the first option on that team.

Every so often he needed to assert himself to better open up floor for his team. Maybe it's just 6-8 minutes a game.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
long time guy wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Nas wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I never cared for Malone either. He wasn't as skilled as Barkley and nowhere near the competitor either. I prefer McHale also.

Malone was a great player and the best power forward ever with the exception of Tim Duncan. Barkely was more of a 3/4 combination guy while Malone was more of a 4/5 guy as was Duncan.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:49 pm 

In no world was Barkley a 3.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:51 pm 

long time guy wrote:

Funny stuff. Typical response.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 6:54 pm 

Stockton/Malone were actually one guy. Separately they would have much less.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:02 pm 

The Hawk wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Funny stuff. Typical response.

My sentiments exactly.

Last edited by long time guy on Tue May 05, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:03 pm 

RFDC wrote:

He played the three quite a bit actually and actually played some five. Per Wikipedia:

Barkley played the power forward position, but occasionally played small forward and center. He was known for his unusual build as a basketball player, stockier than most small forwards, yet shorter than most power forwards he faced. However, Barkley was still capable of outplaying both taller and quicker opponents because of his unusual combination of strength and agility.
Barkley was a prolific scorer who averaged 22.1 points-per-game during the regular season for h…
Wikipedia · Text under CC-BY-SA license

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:06 pm 

The Hawk wrote:
RFDC wrote:

He played the three quite a bit actually and actually played some five. Per Wikipedia:

Barkley played the power forward position, but occasionally played small forward and center. He was known for his unusual build as a basketball player, stockier than most small forwards, yet shorter than most power forwards he faced. However, Barkley was still capable of outplaying both taller and quicker opponents because of his unusual combination of strength and agility.
Barkley was a prolific scorer who averaged 22.1 points-per-game during the regular season for h…
Wikipedia · Text under CC-BY-SA license

Barkley was a power forward with Small Forward skills. Still didn't mean he wasn't a Power Forward.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:08 pm 

Barkley could play any position on the court.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:08 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
Stockton/Malone were actually one guy. Separately they would have much less.

Malone was unstoppable once he set himself in the post. One of the best post players ever. Some of you guys prefer flash over substance. His numbers are amazing. As are John Stockton's. Those two probably had the best two man game of all time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next